This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Arabian 16.2 Hh Tall (1,67m)?
LoLoXLC
post May 12 2005, 07:19 AM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 640

Gelöscht
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post May 12 2005, 08:00 AM
Post #2

Guests

Yes, he was really that big!

+Quote Post
Verena1
post May 12 2005, 08:40 AM
Post #3

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1171

We have sold years ago L.A.Kublai Khan (Kubinec x Khouri BB by Khouros), he is now with 8years 16.1 h (1.65 m).
Very tall with a lot of expression, a very godd typey horse. A lot of breeders of warmbloods and Anglo-arabs crossed with him.

+Quote Post
Oliver
post May 12 2005, 08:51 AM
Post #4

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

A bit off topic but are you sure Furno Khamal was a World Champion Stallion? To the best of my knowledge he never was...

+Quote Post
LoLoXLC
post May 12 2005, 10:58 AM
Post #5

Advanced Senior Member

Gelöscht

+Quote Post
HLM
post May 12 2005, 11:47 AM
Post #6

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 192

Good morning

Serenity Aruf (1997) (Serenity Aristu x Serenity Marufa
is a veterinarian measured 16,2 hands tall

His full brother Frisia Armani is veterinarian measured 16,3
also. Both are Champions.

I am a bit embarresed about these sizes, and really dont like Arabians that tall, but Serenity Aristu always produced offspring 15,2 or taller, no matter how small or tall the mare. He himself was only tiptoeing at 15 hands and Serenity Marufa stood at 15,1 h.

it seems that most all of our horses grow taller than their parents. It might have somethign to do with our climate and soil here in Florida, but we also feed the young ones up to age two at least 10-12 lbs grain per day and free choice hay. Our foals start eating grain already when just a few days old and shortly thereafter, when their teeth are grown more, hay. All our mares get between 10 -12 lbs grain daily too and are not fat and free choice pasture and hay.

We have a yearling colt here by Serenity Mamlouk who is already
14,3 and growing. We had a colt born a few days ago by Serenity Mamlouk who was the size of a 2-month old one at birth, an absolute super colt.

Have a nice day
Hansi biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Jessi_*
post May 12 2005, 01:06 PM
Post #7

Guests

I think it matters quite a bit where people measure the horse. I was taught to measure at the top of the withers for height. Now is seems as more and more people are measuring the horse this way:

Stand horse on as flat of ground as possible.

Measure straight up from the middle of the cannon bone (on the side of the leg where it has a natural indentation with the tendon)

This comes up in the neck which gives a much higher horse than the proper wither measure.

There are many 15HH Arabians out there who are only 14.2 or so. I am getting used to it now.

This is very irritating!

Jessi

+Quote Post
HLM
post May 12 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #8

Advanced Senior Member

What you are saying is true Jessie. However we and our veterinarians know how to measure a horse correctly.

Hansi biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sigrid
post May 12 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #9

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (LoLoXLC @ May 12 2005, 11:58 AM)
That was something I always wondered about. I've read quite often that he was as a junior. For example here.

But I could never find out in what year or anything else.

This is - unfortunatly- again a proof of how important it is to have your own resources, and to not blindly believe what an owner is advertising.

Advertising a world champion when he is not, throws away all credit one might give to the owner. It also puts in doubt any other information they might give about any of their other horses.

It's a pitty.. but Furno Kamal is not the only arabian to be advertised a world champion when not.

Furno Khamal was 16.1 hands high, bay, born in 1983.Officially bred by Alfred Leonberger (Germany) he was soon to be owned by Frank Buccafurno (Holland) before exportation to the US.

In 1984, he was third in his class (3 year old stallions) at the Salon du Cheval, Paris. So no way a class winner, nor a world champion. I even doubt (but I should look this up) if in 1984, it was already called a world championship. It might be.

in 1985, Furno Khamal was first in his class (2 year old stallions) at the dutch nationals, with 118 pts He also became junior champion colt in that show.

The same year (1985) he won his class (2 year old colts) at the European championships in Leiden, again with 118 pts.

These results are the official results he got, as published by the dutch studbook magazine at that time.

+Quote Post
LoLoXLC
post May 12 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #10

Advanced Senior Member

Gelöscht

+Quote Post
Sigrid
post May 12 2005, 04:30 PM
Post #11

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 25

"Paris" is far away for some Americans.
Why should they check results of something that happened 20 years ago at the other side of the world ? What should be the resource ? Isn't it easier to rely on what the owners states ? Isn't it also beautiful to own an offspring of a said 'world champion' ?

It's like the first imports of Saddlebred stallions in Holland. They came here with a long list of results. Afterwards it was found out that the results were quite "common" to say at the least :-)

With the help of internet, it is now easy to look for results.. but this wasn't the case 10 years ago....

+Quote Post
Guest_GinaGuest_*
post May 13 2005, 11:19 AM
Post #12

Guests

An arabian standing over 160 cm cannot possibly be called "typey", not in my book at least!
In fact, even coming close to 160 (or, for that matter, below 145 cm) is "off type". At least if you're interested in breeding arabians in particular, not just a nice horse, which I'm sure these bigguns may well be.

+Quote Post
Rodania
post May 13 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 157

@GinaGuest: So would you say Crusader was not typey, then?

I think we're confusing "typey" and "typical". It certainly isn't typical for an Arabian to be 15.3 hh (1,60 m) tall or taller, but I have seen many 15.3 hh purebreds that had plenty of type and couldn't be mistaken for anything but a purebred Arabian.
I'd also like to point out that many straight Egyptians, especially, are that tall, not only Crusader.

Incidentally, I have personally measured a purebred Arabian that stood 16.3 hh (1,70 m). This was a gelding used in endurance, and while he wasn't "exotic", he did look like an Arab.

+Quote Post
HLM
post May 13 2005, 04:15 PM
Post #14

Advanced Senior Member

Dear Rodania

I agree with you. Most all our stallions were between 15,2 and 15,3 and I consider Khofo++, Ibn MOniet El Nefous, and other of size 15,2 or more ,typy.
It is true, 16 hands or more is not typical, but still can have type and instantly recognized as an arabian.

Hansi biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
barbara.gregory
post May 14 2005, 09:30 AM
Post #15

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 202

Hi Rodahia

You beat me to it as my mind immediately sprang to Crusader; he was about as "typey" as they get! reserve world champion twice amongst all his titles not to mention won on the race track and under saddle. Nobody could ever take him for anything but an Arab.

My stallion is by him and he is 15 2"+ and is very typey. Crusader is the only Arab I have seen of 16 hands but I have seen several nearly that who were very typey, I have also seen some who weren't but I have also seen "average" height Arabians with very little type.

I think it is the bloodlines and genes not the size. I have not seen Hansi's horses in the flesh but from photos they don't come much typier than that! I personally prefer a bit of size so tend to prefer something bigger although I wouldn't buy a horse just for size. I have also seen a stallion many years ago (can't remember his name, he was snow white) who I doubt was 14 hands and he was gorgeous, if he had been he a hand taller he would have been magnificent.

I have two full sisters and one is 14 2or3" and the other must be a good 15 2"+ The smaller mare is the "typier" but the bigger one is a very imposing horse and certainly doesn't lack type and her filly foal this year is lovely, very dainty, while her smaller sister produced a very big colt by the same stallion! The filly was born exactly a week before the colt and the colt was virtually as big at birth as the filly at a week old! neither was a first foal as I am told they are often smaller although the few I have had weren't.

I would be interested to see photos of the 16 2-3" horses, anyone got any?

Regards

Barbara

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 22:32
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.