This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's Required To Make A Show Horse ?
lionsdenfarm
post Oct 4 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 582

And with all this jogging next to our horses we should all be in excellent shape! laugh.gif

Tracy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kat
post Oct 4 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3964

(What's required to make a show horse)
You have to hit a few show barns, the shows, any
siminars, then watch and learn. I video taped the
Canada & US nationals and the EE halter classes.
In live in Minnesota, lots of big barns and tips. If a
small back yard handler is going to win in this state you
have to stand out. Here we have the David's, Bobby's,
Mike's, Tony's, Jerry's, Jeff's and the Ted's just to name few blink.gif
I like to start with a wealing taking them for walks over the river
and through the woods ( my property has a river with a bridge and
lots of woods) to get them used to strange places. I teach them
whow, walk shoulder to shoulder, back up, no crowding, and trot.
I like to keep this lession short and fun with lots of praise.
Yearlings are body clipped in March and training begains with free
lounging for 15 min with good music, good music is a must.
10 min before and after lounging I keep the neck sweat on to keep
the neck heated up. I don't like the pencil neck look just a nice clean
neck so neck sweats are used just for the work out.
Bathing is a rinse down and a mist spray bottel with a mixture
of good stuff.
Grooming, grooming, grooming, and more grooming the old way,
robber curry comb, and soft brush over every part of the body.
Training is short and sweet somedays two times a day for 10 min.
other days 20 min. all is up to the horse. I have the same routine
back up, come forward, split, and whow. If this goes well then we
trot out and play, if not they are put away. When I feel they are ready
to learn more, the next step they learn to step over with front feet then
rock back. I over praise them and make them feel good and somedays
they forget every thing you taught them and before I get mad I put them
up and tell them i am unhappy with them sad.gif They are like dogs and want
to please us so when they are put up without going through the routine
they sulk. I work with thier neck last, we do exercises up and down
with the neck, the follow my hand excercise, and praise praise.
Like us they need time off and just be a horse so one to two days per
week they have a day off just to relax and get dirty. The last month
before the show I up the lounging time to 30 min. everyother day.
Halter is easy for them now and they know what I ask of them so we
work on our enterance in the arena. I hoot, clap and get them excited
and hopefuly get the tail laugh.gif
I forgot the feeding, 14%, suupplements, and clean high qulity hay.
If you have done your home work at home the little breeder has a
good chance at a win and a win for me is a top ten in deep competition cool.gif

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Oct 4 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #48

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2799

Just read this from the beginning. It will give you step by step instructions, that are easy to follow, to teach your horse to stand up for halter.
The jogging in hand with your horse teaches you both spacial bounderies and for the 2 of you to be able to move together with ease. I am a short and large (fat) woman with health issues and I can still do this. Just not as often as I would like to be able to.

Earlier in the thread, I stated that we use Purina Strategy mixed with equal parts of oats, plus 1 cup ground flax. The flax is new and I started this in the spring as per Darcy (Brentwood) suggestion. It works great at overall condition and keeps the hair coat sleek.

Now for the hair coat. I use Healthy Hair Care moisturizer. It is concentrated and has an orange color. Mix according to the instructions and spray the horses coat with it and curry it in. You do this on a daily basis. You will have a very sleek and shiny coat. I also use this on the day of the show, it does not make the coat look greasy, just shiny. I use Proclaim leave in conditioner for African-Americans, the white jar, for the manes and tails on show days. Experiment at home to get the result that works for your horse. I use this in place of Final Touch Finishing spray. As I braid up mane and tail at the shows and this way I don't have to wash it out.
I do shave muzzles and faces and yes eyes. This is your personal preference. If you like the smooth muzzle look, put Vaseline all over the areas that you want smooth and then lunge or free lunge your horse. Wipe it off afterwards. Stop using the Vaseline 2 weeks before a show. On these areas I put baby oil, then a coating of Ultrasheen by Johnsons (African-American product at a beauty store) This is the equivilant of Alto light highlighter, which is no longer on the market. For hooves, make sure they are clean and rub on some Kiwi shoe polish cream, neutral color, wipe off excess and put on CLEAR hoof polish. Do NOT use any other color that clear, as it is against the rules.

There that should cover a few things for you guys tonight. Remember you can always ask questions.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
Georgia
post Oct 6 2006, 12:44 AM
Post #49

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2334

Hello all, loved reading all the posts.

Cheryl, I've got to "hand" it to you... I have rarely heard someone say they teach the stop by raising your hand.. That's what I have always done, I might have a chain on my horse, but I have never had to use it. I play games with my horses too, just taking walks out the road.. They learn to count my steps too, very fun to do a simon says type fun with my horses. Gets them to pay attention to me when we are in a ring, as they know the games are always watching me to see what I'm going to do or ask. Forward 2 steps, stop, back 4 steps etc. whatever you can think of. Before you know it they learn to dance with you in tune and are very light in the halter. I also teach my horses to whoa on a lunge line by dropping the line (or relaxing the line) not ever pulling on anything to slow a horse down. This comes in handy now that I'm older and can't run as I once did, I have taught my horses to slow their speed by my raising my opposite hand and depending on how long or how many times I raise it they bring it down a another notch, each time I ask. Cluck for more speed. I will play with them where I take two steps raise my hand with the lead
so it goes limp for my stop.. my hand just goes up, whoa or maybe a back up if they don't stop right away.. eventually they will be stopping when they feel my hand go up without any prompting or a whoa. 2 steps, hand up, stop, 4 steps, hand up stop, 6 steps hand up stop, 2 steps hand up stop, backup 2 steps, you all get the picture.. by this time they are stepping what I'm stepping and they stop when I do. No pulling or jerking ever. And like you Cheryl.... praise, praise, praise even for little efforts, you have to let them know they are on the right track.

If a horse won't stand still for me, I don't bug, correct or try and make them stand still.. or worry about it, I ignore it. When they move,.. I make them move, lunge a circle, back up, move their hips over, turn and lunge a circle the other direction.. then try the stand again, if they want to move then we go back to work doing something.. after awhile they think wow, if I just stand here she leaves me alone and I don't have to work so hard. unsure.gif tongue.gif
Big thing, as Cheryl said, always have a smile no matter what. IF you keep a smile you never over react to anything your horse does. If you are getting frustrated quit and rethink what you are asking, you can be sure your horse is frustrated to. "Think" this should be fun fun fun. The only time I would ever turn on my horses, is if they turn on me.. usually nips any aggression in the bud, and who the boss person is.

Take care and have fun.

Georgia

edited to add, you won't believe how teaching your halter horse to stop by lifting your lead hand when you go to riding your horse.. they feel the rein raise, you guessed it, you get your slow down or stop.

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Oct 9 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #50

Gold Member
Group Icon

This is for Dawn. Read the whole thing and let us know how you do.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
Lovelyepona
post Oct 9 2006, 03:58 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3971

LOL How I do???
Teaching him this.
Thank you for the help.

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Oct 9 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #52

Gold Member
Group Icon

Dawn,
You get an A for reading the whole thing.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
Lovelyepona
post Oct 9 2006, 01:16 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

ROFLMAO
Cheryl reading is my hobby, okay the other hobby. I can ignore my kids and hubby when their being pains tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Lovelyepona
post Oct 9 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Oh yeah do I get a cookie with that A? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Oct 9 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #55

Gold Member
Group Icon

How about a big shiny star? Gold or silver?
In a couple of months, I do expect pictures though. As I keep saying, one of these days..................I will get a scanner.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
Lovelyepona
post Oct 9 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

SIlver please. and yes I'll send pictures. I see this guy every day and am amazed at the difference. He really gets prettier every time I look at him. He's sooooo docile and sweet too.
Better than Knight, I swear his head grows faster, too bad he didn't get The boz's head!

When will he realize he is a boy?

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Oct 9 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #57

Gold Member
Group Icon

Probably the first day you take him to a show. My stallion was turned out with the geldings until he was 4, then he started to pick on some of them. It just was like he decided that; today I will pick on everyone. So that is when he started getting his own personal turnout time. Now he has an area for himself. Did you ever read the thread "Addicted to Horses"? If not, it sure is fun and it sounds like you will fit right in. That is another one that you have to start at the beginning and no cheating.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Oct 14 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #58

Guests

Cheryl or others,

I am having a problem with a young stallion of mine. (3 yrs old) He was trained by me as a yearling and showed well. Lots of wins. Went to a couple of shows as a 2 yr old and started crowding and disrespecting me at the show. Now he is crowding whenever he sees something "new", or even something in a different place. He takes a look and then leaps almost on top of me, and tries to get behind me. It is annoying, and can be dangerous. He has stepped on me a couple of times, and banged into me. What could be causing this? He was NOT like this when he was younger, and it seems to be getting worse as he gets older. I have tried being patient - doesn't help. I have tried being stern - makes it worse. This has all happened since he has started to feel his "hormones". He also sometimes nips, and there is NO warning in his eyes. It's like he thinks it's fun and he wants me to play with him. He waits that nannosecond for me to slap him them jumps back from it, and then lunges forward and tries again. It has become a game for him, and it is getting me upset. When I yell at him he looks sad for a few seconds and then starts all over again. I really like this guy and think that he is lovely. I enjoyed showing him as a yearling, but now - I don't know what to do with him, and am considering gelding him, even though he is stallion material conformationally and his pedigree is great. I just don't know how to deal with these problems, and am losing patience with him. Some days he is WONDERFUL, doesn't put a foot wrong, and other days he is a JERK.

Suggestions please!

+Quote Post
Aimbri
post Oct 14 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #59

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2242

Sorry Cheryl,

The above post was mine. Not logged in!

This young stallion was PERFECT when I had him out to work with him 2 days ago. I was so proud. Today, he was crowding me again. He also sometimes does this in his stall. Crowds me. When I push him to get over, sometimes it just takes a light touch and over he goes, or even just the word "Over", but sometimes he just squeezes right up to me, and I can push and poke all I like and he just squeezes more, like he's afraid of something and just can't get close enough to me! What's THAT all about? I've handled a lot of horses, and have never had a trained horse that did that before. He's never mean, it's like he's afraid or something.

Suggestions?

Jeannette

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Oct 15 2006, 12:19 AM
Post #60

Gold Member
Group Icon

Jeanette,
He is going through a difficult stage right now. He is feeling the big boy hormones and he needs to learn how to deal with him. Shamal went through the same thing at the same age. Walk with a whip or long riding crop betweeen you and him. When he starts to crowd give him a light snap on the front near you. We would snap the leg. Carrie used to complain that Shamal would "ride" her in the ring at this stage. He was very insecure, as is your horse. He is going through a type of fear/spooky stage. They DO grow out of this. If you don't kill them first. Just kidding of course.

Here is what I would do.
First lunge him, a real good workout. You can free lunge and then put on a line and lunge him some more. When you are done, put your lead on and put the chain under the chin, do not capture it. Put the whip between you and the horse and walk. When he starts to crowd you or nip, give him a good snap on the leg, snap the lead and yell STOP or HEY. Yes this is a mild form of shanking, but it has a purpose. Right now you have zero respect. He needs to learn that running you over is more scary than that leaf or whatever he decides to spook at. This is going to bring the focus back on you. The instant you have his attention, tell him good boy. Do this a couple of times and then groom him and put him away. When you get to a point that walking is no longer an issue, start doing this at a trot. Giving him a light flick towards the shoulder will encourage him to move away from you. We either used a ditch or fenceline. This will teach him about space. On the day of the show or the night before, I would lunge Shamal very long and hard. He would be in a lather. Then I would bathe him. This would take the "edge" off of him in the ring. 3-5 years of age are their pain in the butt age. Carries gelding just went through this last year at age 4, this year he is soooo laid back. Shamal still has pain in the butt stages, but, he no longer feels the need to crowd you.

These are 2 separate issues, crowding and running behind you.

Running or darting behind you:
Walk with the whip in your left hand and when they start to lag behind you or dart behind you,. Turn to your left and step back at the same time and give him a tap on the hind end. This does take coordination, but, if I can do it any one can.

I went throught the same thing and it can be very frustrating. Remember he WILL grow out of it.

Stall crowding. Take a piece of wood like an old shovel handel, make sure it is wider that you a couple of inches. Sharpen one end of it. You know like a sharpened pencil. Then I would blunt the tip a tad. Take this in the stall with you. When he goes to crowd he will get a prick. He also cannot crush against the wall you if the length is correct.. I used this trick on a very nasty mare ( at a trainers, that I worked for 2 days. ) When you would go into her stall she would slam you into the wall, to hurt you. So I took a shovel handle and sharpened the end and walked into her stall. She tried to slam me and got a good poke in the side. She never did that to me again. After I left that place, I gave the other grooms the stick.

If you have any more questions just ask. I will do my best to answer.
This may also take a while.
Cheryl

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 10:50
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.