This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Alfalfa/lucerne Bagged Haylage
Sasha Melia/Silh...
post Jan 2 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #1

Charter Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 358

Hi there

I just wondered if anyone has used pure alfalfa/lucerne bagged haylage at all? My haylage man has some and it's the same price as the normal haylage I use at the moment, but I wondered if anyone has any experience of using it? Obviously it must be very high feed value etc but I am just wondering if it might be a bit too strong to feed all the time to a 2 year old colt and a 7 month old weanling filly?

Any experiences/opinions on this would be great smile.gif

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Sasha Melia/Silh...
post Jan 3 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #2

Charter Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 358

Hi Barbara & Hoogie

Thanks for the info, you have confirmed my worries that it could be a bit much on it's own......as this farmer grows it himself (ie it's not a branded make or anything) I asked him if he had had any nutritional analysis done on it and he said 'oh no, I just grow the stuff' ! It's a shame he didn't it get it looked at, maybe it costs too much.

Both of the horses in question are on fairly high protein diets, my weanling is on Foal Mix which is 15.9% protein, and my colt is on Mare & Youngstock Mix which is 14% protein, both manufactured by Dodson & Horrell. With this they also get a big handful of Readigrass. I used to feed Dengie Alfa-A instead, but I was getting through so much of it that I changed to Readigrass just to add a bit of roughage to their feeds. I have plenty of grass but don't think it's that great feed value wise though as we had an abundance of thistles all summer which took over a lot!

Anyway, I have a couple of bales of it to try and have been mixing it half and half with their normal haylage, it's really lovely stuff and they love it too. Might be hassle though having to mix the two types all the time though - might leave it for the winter and then just feed it to my filly when it gets nearer to show time for the conditioning value? Does anyone feed it in pure form to their show yearlings?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 02:19
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.