This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Julep, Do you know who he is?
Guest_Guest_LMG_*_*
post Mar 18 2006, 09:59 PM
Post #1

Guests

When one starts talking about the famous progenitors of today's SEs, etc., many have little or no knowledge about the older lines of horses and even less know that their blood is still available.

Doing a search on this site, I found that Julep was only mentioned a few times, but this was one interesting horse and his blood is still available through a few SE, SO, Al Khamsa and Pyramid Society lines of horses.

Born in the same year that I was and sired by the famous Gulastra (a hot little ticket) and out of the very famous *Aziza, this horse is still available to SE breeders today. Besides Babson, Ansata, Glennloch, and Pritzlaff who were all tremendous contributors to SE breeders, there were some breeders (small numbers, but committed) who preserved this line, among others and for those who think that the only stallions in the SE world, were *A. Ibn Halima, *Morafic and *Fadl, I suggest that it would be very worthwhile to do a little pedigree digging and see how many very lovely descendants this horse still has today.

LMG
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
heidip
post Mar 18 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1615

Only one horse carried this line foreward under the SE, SO, AK definition Julyan 1958 stallion
2nd generation
bint serabba
julanna
dahlya
Ensign
Julyanne
Bint Mist Aana
El Reata Juan Faddan
Jusera
Juseneh

+Quote Post
Cyglenda Miller
post Mar 18 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #3

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 419

Hi,

When we first got into Arabians these were the lines that our horses carried.
We owned: Royale En Shebat, Dena, Royale Saqqara, PE Desert Jewell, PE Shazeera, Royale Nezeer, PE Nashabe, Om Il Shazam and Royale Shekinah. These were sons and daughters of Ensign and Fadaan or grandget of them. If I can find some photos I will post them. As far as I know the ones that we owned and bred are still living, other than Dena. None of them were Straight Egyptian though.

Cyglenda

+Quote Post
Carol Cooper-Hal...
post Mar 18 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #4

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2995

JULEP (AHR #1678)

Foaled: 6/30/1939
Presumed Deceased: 7/02/1981
Color: Grey

SIRE: Gulastra
(Astraled [Mesaoud {Aziz x Yamama III} x Queen of Sheba {Desert Bred x Desert Bred}] x Gulnare [Rodan {Harb x Rose of Sharon} x Ghazala {Ibn Sherara x Bint Helwa}])

DAM: Aziza
(Gamil Manial [Saklawi II {Saklawi I x El Dahma} x Dalal {Rabdan x Om Dalal}] x Negma [Dahman {Gamil El Ahmar x Farida El Debani} x Bint Yamama {Saklawi I x Yemama}])

Progeny: 42 foals from 1943 to 1964:

YAKOV AHR*2600 01 May 1943 Stallion Black
JULAH AHR*2850 26 May 1944 Mare Grey
MINT JULEP AHR*9787 05 Feb 1955 Mare Grey
IBN JULEP AHR*9786 04 Apr 1955 Stallion Grey
SYNBAD AHR*10054 28 May 1955 Stallion Grey
FALEP AHR*10723 04 Apr 1956 Stallion Grey
JULIETT AHR*10722 18 Apr 1956 Mare Grey
ALA-ARABI RAZALI AHR*12539 19 Jun 1957 Mare Grey
JULYAN AHR*13123 05 May 1958 Stallion Grey
JULEE AHR*13363 10 May 1958 Mare Grey
SYNDERELLA AHR*14977 20 Feb 1959 Mare Grey
AL-MARAH MAY JULEP AHR*15393 06 Mar 1959 Mare Grey
KENTUCKY COLONEL AHR*14979 16 Mar 1959 Gelding Grey
QUEEN LIL AHR*14978 05 Apr 1959 Mare Bay
PRINCESS IRENE AHR*14980 06 Apr 1959 Mare Grey
YULEP AHR*15596 06 Apr 1959 Stallion Grey
BINT JULEP AHR*14600 07 May 1959 Mare Grey
JOLI AHR*14626 09 May 1959 Mare Grey
KEMAHS BINT JULEP AHR*15271 13 Jul 1959 Mare Grey
HIGH FASHION AHR*16884 24 Feb 1960 Mare Grey
MY FAIR LADY AHR*16888 16 Mar 1960 Mare Grey
KINGS RANSOM AHR*16886 27 Mar 1960 Stallion Grey
EVENING CHARM AHR*16885 10 Apr 1960 Mare Grey
ARIADNE AHR*16887 29 Apr 1960 Mare Grey
JUAREZ AHR*17145 29 Jun 1960 Gelding Grey
JULIUS AHR*19220 26 Feb 1961 Gelding Grey
GENERALISSIMO AHR*19223 07 Mar 1961 Gelding Grey
JULINDRA AHR*19107 13 Mar 1961 Mare Grey
GRAND SALAAM AHR*19219 19 Mar 1961 Gelding Grey
COLLEEN OF ARABY AHR*19222 10 May 1961 Mare Bay
SHOOTING STARLETTE AHR*19221 28 May 1961 Mare Grey
INJULIA AHR*22086 12 Mar 1962 Mare Grey
BOURBON PRINCE AHR*21889 20 Mar 1962 Gelding Grey
DAME SPARKLE AHR*21890 20 Mar 1962 Mare Grey
JULEPPA AHR*21891 20 Apr 1962 Mare Grey
LA PETITE AHR*21621 12 May 1962 Mare Grey
DESERT VIKING AHR*24511 24 Mar 1963 Gelding Grey
BAR MAID AHR*24509 28 Mar 1963 Mare Grey
DANCING-GIRL AHR*24510 30 Apr 1963 Mare Grey
MISS SEVENTEEN AHR*29871 25 Mar 1964 Mare Bay
PEYTON AHR*30807 03 Apr 1964 Gelding Grey
JULESTE AHR*28909 18 Apr 1964 Mare Grey

+Quote Post
Cyglenda Miller
post Mar 18 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #5

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 419

Here's another photo of Julep for you.

Cyglenda
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_LMG_*_*
post Mar 19 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #6

Guests

Wonderful. Now, if we were to play a game and take Gulastra's sire, Astraled out of SE pedigrees today, which horses would vanish from the SE greats?

LMG

+Quote Post
heidip
post Mar 19 2006, 01:10 AM
Post #7

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1615

bint serra l

+Quote Post
Guest_carol_*
post Mar 19 2006, 01:28 AM
Post #8

Guests

Nazeer , because without Astraled there would have been no Sotamm

+Quote Post
PGD
post Mar 19 2006, 02:01 AM
Post #9

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3102

Interestingly enough (at least to me!), my little triple *Bask mare, JHB Scarlet Fever, (my *Bask/Cognac granddaughter who is heavily in foal as we speak...) is tail female (through HMR Julie) to Bint Bint Gulastra, who was the result of mating the Gulastra daughter, Binni, to Gulastra himself.

The straight Egyptian stallion Mesaoud appears 11 times in Scarlet's pedigree, *Abu Zeyd twice, Rodania appears 5 times, Astraled appears at least 3 times, and Bint Helwa appears numerous times, as does Rose of Sharon.

I love sifting through pedigrees - wish I had more time!

Nancy P.

+Quote Post
Tous crins
post Mar 19 2006, 02:27 AM
Post #10

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 173

I recently bought "ARABIANA" on e-nay and there is a serie of articles, a big portion of the book, on Gulastra. It discusses his pedigree, shows lots of pictures of him and his descendants and their impact on the breed (in the 70s).

A must read.

Christine

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_LMG_*_*
post Mar 19 2006, 02:46 AM
Post #11

Guests

*Astraled was a Blunt bred horse, was by Mesaoud and out of the mare Queen of Sheba. *Astraled was imported to the US by Lothrop Ames and was never in Egypt, but without this Blunt bred horse, the Straight Egyptian Arabian Horse breeders would not have the following horses, who some claim are the backbone of straight Egyptian breeding:

There would be no Nazeer, Seef, Noha, Serenity Bint Mamlouka, Moniet El Nefous, no Halima and therefore no *A. Ibn Halima, no Badia and therefore no *Zaghloul, no Bukra and therefore no Bint Bukra, or *Ansata Bint Burka, no Bint Sabah and therefore no Bint Bint Sabbah, no *Ansata Bint Nazeer or *Bint El Bataa, or *Binte El Bataa, no Alaa El Din, no Antar, no *Morafic, no *Ibn Moniet El Nefous, no Sid Abouhom, no Sheikh El Arab, and on and on.

For those who like to talk about the influence of this or that straight egyptian horse on SE breeding, both here and in the US, we must give great credit to the stallion *Astraled who was bred in England and imported to the US and never once trotted on the desert sands of Egypt.

LMG

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_LMG_*_*
post Mar 19 2006, 03:00 AM
Post #12

Guests

Correction: The above post shold have read both in the US and the rest of the world. Somedays, I'm not sure which part of the world I think I am in.

LMG

+Quote Post
Tous crins
post Mar 19 2006, 04:15 AM
Post #13

Gold Member
Group Icon

from Arabiana p52

"

GULASTRA
“HIS SON — JULEP and FAMILY”

by
Denny Tirral
CHAPTER VII

JULEP was foaled at J. M. Dickinson’s Travelers Rest farm near Nashville, Tennessee in June of 1939. His dam, *AZIZA was imported from Egypt by W. R. Brown, and she even in her later years was a strikingly beautiful and classic individual. GULASTRA standing to *AZIZA was a mark of sound line breeding practice as is noted by the remarkable potency for excellence. While JULEP’S sire, GULASTRA, was grandson to MESAOUD, his sire, AZIZ, would be the tail male line, or if you will, his grandsire, ZOBEYNI. However to show that JULEP is in fact line bred to AZIZ it is interesting to note the number of lines tracing to that horse. GULASTRA’s female tail line traces to AZIZ through his daughter BINT HELWA. Two more lines go to AZIZ in the middle of the pedigree, one through MESAOUD and the other via BINT HELWA who were sire and dam of HARB. All together GULAS-TRA packed 14 lines to AZIZ’s grandsire, ZOBEYNI. ~AZIZA’s tail dam line goes to AZIZ through his daughter, YAMAMA, plus about eight other lines in her pedigree. JULEP was for the most part bred much in the manner that the Egyptians do it. For that matter GULASTRA was near three-quarters Egyptian though he came by the way of England (Born through stock coming from that country to U.S.). Anyway if I didn’t make any mistakes JULEP would have 13 lines to AZIZ and 26 to ZOBEYNI. While the number of lines to ZOBEYNI is perhaps more impressive I wished to high-light, here, AZIZ as he was the sire of MESAOUD and show the great amount of influence of that horse on JULEP. Of course the true tail male line is BARQ who was sire of ZOBEYNI though most name ZOBEYNI as tail male line in these cases. In any event JULEP proved himself a powerful genetical giant by both pedigree and his ability to propagate this excellence.
JULEP as a young stallion was sold in Texas and sired his first foal in 1943, and another in 1944. The breeder was the well-known Elliot Roosevelt of Ren-brook, Texas. Next heard from him was that he ran the Nebraska ranges where he had to live with the elements, or at least this is the way rumor had it. Odd it is that it is said that JULEP’s three-quarter brother, AZKAR (Rahas x *Aziza) did time on the western ranges also. Must be that being a ‘range-runner’ ran in the family.
About 1953 he was acquired by Robert LaRue, a M.D. a well known breeder at Erie, Illinois, and he today is still considered one of the mid-west’s better breeders. This is where JULEP’s fame had its in-ception. Had it not been for Dr. LaRue it may have been that the priceless blood of JULEP would have been lost to the breed forever. There, among others, he sired the exceptionally beautiful IBN JULEP who for some time has been headman at the Davis Arabian Stud in Wisconsin. Another to gain fame was MINT JULEP, a classic in her own right, and a super excellent brood matron. She, like IBN JULEP, has earned more than their share of ‘booty” in the show rings.
A new page in GULASTRA history was turned at the birth of SYNBAD, bred by Joanna Buckley of Cedardell Arabian farms. In 1958 SYNBAD was named Reserve National Champion, and came back the next year to win National Champion Stallion. He was the first horse to win Inter. national’s Legion of Merit Though SYNBAD is still a fairly young horse he is well on his way to starting a very promising branch of the GULASTRA family, he him-self being on the leading sire list with as of 1970 the sire of 13 champions. Interesting is that his son, Cedardell Heritage, in 1969 was sire of two champions. A year later, in 1970, he was sire of nine champions, gaining seven champions in a single year. This was a larger gain in number of new champions than any other sire in America. Close on his heals was SMORAFIC with six new champs, and followed by BASK, SERAFIX, and THE REAL McCOY with five new champions each.
Certain it is that the GULASTRA family of champions is still growing. Mr. Cedardell, Cedardell Heritage son, was named 1971 Reserve National Champion Gelding. An interesting side-light n SYNBAD was that when he was born at Cedar-dell the colt was considered by the Buckleys as kind on the ‘un-handsome’ side and was given to “Red” Beyer who was trainer at the farm at that time. Certainly no one can call him ‘un-handsome’ now. That this ‘gift’ should besides becoming Reserve and en National Champion Stallion also was a champion in Park, Western Pleasure, English Pleasure, and Stock Horse proving again the athletic ability and the train-ability of the GULASTRA line horses. Horses without these abilities, even under the finest trainers, don’t get very far. Interesting it is to note at IBN JULEP was also a winner in all categories, it was never shown at the Nationals because of an jury.
SPARKLES, by SYNBAD, in 1964 was National champion Park Horse, and in 1965 was National champion Top Ten in English Pleasure. TALLULAH as a halter champion at two years old. Champions various performances and halter are MESALA, (N-ABABA, SYNCAPATOR, and SUPER X. SYN-BAD offspring are winners in the show ring in every category, and those named are but a few.
Another by JULEP who was a great winner at halter was full sister to SYNBAD, the beautiful SYNDERELLA, and she was quite a gal in Stock horse classes. It was unfortunate she died young in fight with another mare. Another full sister was HIGH FASHION who was named National Champion are, and went National Top Ten Park Horse. The daughters JULIETTE and MINT JULEP were Na-tional Top Ten mares. There are more winners by JULEP and some that you don’t see in the show ring such as JULYAN who seems to be valued by the "Blue” people and I’m told he is sire of excellent foals. JULYAN stands with J. J. Zoran in Wisconsin. JULEP, according to statistics compiled by Gladys Brown Edwards, from 1953 to 1968, is on the lead-ing sire list, but of more interest is that if figured percentage of champions to number of foals sired he would be rated third on the list. *SERAFIX first with 5%; *NABORR second with 27%. JULEP is listed with 11 Champions and 26%.
Under ‘Sire lines of Legion of Merit horses’, G.B.E. comes up with percentage of foals to Legion of Merit Awards. NABOR leads the list again with three for 30% which faded JULEP by 3% who had 3 for 27% and this tied HALLANY MISTANNY who figured the same so JULEP and HALLANY MISTANNY came nose to nose for second spot in this line up. There is more of interest in this Legion of Merit statistics. The total *RAFFLES line had seven sires working for him in this department and *RASEYN three. The GULASTRA line had JULEP, KATAR and ABU FARWA, which puts this line in second place with 12%. High man on the totem pole was *ZARIFE who had only HALLANY MISTANY batting the ball for his team and was ahead by 8% with 20%. This is most interesting because a good many of HALLANY’s kids were out of GULASTRA mares which puts them ore or less in the same genealogy lines as that of JULEP — this from 1953 through 1968 also. I would reckon that all these statistics have changed some by now and will some more in time to come.
JULEP was a handsome individual and like his sire is of excellent riding type. From pictures I’ve seen he had a good head with the traditional ‘dry” look. Small tapered ears pointing well in, and accen-tuated with a very large eye. A well-shaped neck going into his very good withers just right. A picture I’ve seen photographed when he was about thirty shows a very good back going into an excellent croup with a very high tail set which he held well flagged. A friend whom I consider a very good horse-man visited JULEP when he was about thirty, made a special point to comment on his very good and straight legs and this is something at that age. Too, he was impressed with his over all quality which is always hard to read for me when they get that far up in years — yet when it’s there you see it at any age. His sire, GULASTRA, showed this kind of qual-ity in his older years. A year ago when I last heard JULEP was still around at 32 though no longer siring foals the thought came to me how enduring the line is. GULASTRA made it into three decades and didn’t die from old age, but had to be put down as a result of an injury as mentioned before. ISLAM at 30 suffered the same fate because of cancer. BINIS made it to near 27 when he went away, and he was by ISLAM. Recently I heard that ABU FAR-WA who is in his 30’s is still with us and with help is servicing a limited number of mares. If this is so here would be an instance where artificial insemina-tion would be of real value to the breed. The ABU-FARWA sons, GA’ZI and ABU BAHA are getting up in years and still siring foals, and some of the old GULASTRA daughters are still being mothers.
In any event, JULEP, even with the lack of a large brood band proved himself to be a more than worthy son of GULASTRA. His daughters to have always been considered to be a real asset in brood bands and are highly valued. Genetic giants don’t come along every day so ‘hats off’ to this GREAT ONE."

+Quote Post
anitae
post Mar 19 2006, 04:44 AM
Post #14

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1964

Christina,
The grey mare I was riding tackless in the pasture at Johnson's in Arizona after the Symposium has Julep as her sire line. I have also seen Jusera at O'Donnells in Indiana twice. A lovely old mare when I saw her. Great disposition, a great mom, and very desert-looking - a rider's kind of horse in the way she moved. You could canter all day and never get tired.

Anita

+Quote Post
Tous crins
post Mar 19 2006, 04:53 AM
Post #15

Gold Member
Group Icon

Hi Anitae,

What was the name of your mare? I might have it in what I filmed but I haven't watched it yet. That was so nice to see you ride her!

Christine

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 10:30
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.