This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rider's Thread, Riding Concepts and Issues
paelmchen
post Jul 9 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #31

Gold Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 99

Dave & Hansi,

we use saddles mady by euro-riding, or "classic" which is similar to the stuebben saddles Hansi mentioned.

These modern dressage-saddles allow a free shoulder, the cushioning at the knees fixes your leg, and is very comfortable.
Here a picture of the classic-saddle on my Newel.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
paelmchen
post Jul 9 2006, 09:26 AM
Post #32

Gold Member
Group Icon

Dave & Hansi,

we use saddles mady by euro-riding, or "classic" which is similar to the stuebben saddles Hansi mentioned.

These modern dressage-saddles allow a free shoulder, the cushioning at the knees fixes your leg, and it is very comfortable.
Here a picture of the classic-saddle on my Newel.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
HLM
post Jul 9 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #33

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 192

Thank you Roland for this photo. Saddle looks very comfortable to me. My Stuebens dont have the deep inset like the one you show here.

How do you feel about the girth buckels no longer being under the bilt?
It does not look right to me and it looks if pressure is put on in the wrong place.Even though there appears to be a lash underneith, the ends of it surely must put on some pressuremarks, or? Please let me hear your comments.

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
paelmchen
post Jul 10 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #34

Gold Member
Group Icon

Dear Hansi,

it is very comfortable that the girth buckels are no longer under the bilt.
It allows a better contact throught the bilt with the riders legs.

The lashes were open at the picture with Newel, as you can see at the following pictures, that´s how it looks like when they are correct closed.

ciao roland palm
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Majid
post Jul 10 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #35

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 234

Sorry, posted twice.

This post has been edited by Majid: Jul 10 2006, 11:11 AM

+Quote Post
Majid
post Jul 10 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #36

Advanced Senior Member

Hansi,

I also like the Stuebben saddles and have used them for years. This year I tried a Trekker Treeless saddle. It has fiberglass reinforcement, rather than a tree. It is also made in Germany, and used for both dressage and endurance. The Trekker is quite flexible, as you would imagine, and one has much closer contact with the horse. It also seems like our horses are more relaxed with the Trekker saddle.

Below is a photo of a Trekker saddle.

Majid
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
HLM
post Jul 10 2006, 02:06 PM
Post #37

Advanced Senior Member

thank you dear Majid

I dont know If I would prefer it, because I cant see how you can be flexable with your legs and the western type stirrup. I looks very comfortable, mind you. I am so used to being able to move my legs any which way I like with total control over the stirrups. Mind you, I cant ride anymore, so it does not matter either way I guess. Wish I could, am so chumping on my bit when I see you all riding and training.

roland

thanks for these photos. I never had a problem with the buckles being under the bilt.MIne lie quite flat and in an area which does not discomfort me.

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian farms

+Quote Post
Majid
post Jul 10 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #38

Advanced Senior Member

Hansi,

You are correct about hte stirrups. This is a photo of the saddle that I copied from the internet. I prefer to use the Trekker saddle with English stirrups which are also used on the Trekker saddle.

Majid

+Quote Post
HLM
post Jul 10 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #39

Advanced Senior Member

Dear Majid

this sounds good. I watched dozens of endurance racers in western saddles, many looking like a bag of potatoes on the back, and no control of aids on the side of the horse, etc. when you examine those old cavalery saddles, they all had that western type seat but the english version of stirrup leather/stirrups etc. I have ridden western classes and even won, but it was because my horses were trained up to high level in dressage. But I did not feel comfortable nor in controll as I do in my english saddles. the front end of the western saddle also restricts the rider's movement of leaning forward in a hunt type position, giving the horse's back to relax and work properly. As you know, without that rearend and the back of the horse working together and well, the poor horse will utilize too much of its strength, one cant help the horse as much as one can in an english type saddle. At least this is how I experienced it. The western saddle basically fixes one's seat, which is fine for certain
exercises/rides, but not for me in hunting/jumping,going through rough terrain when I have to give my horse all the help I can and make my weight as little as possible felt through proper balance.

thanks again and have a grand day

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
heidip
post Jul 10 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #40

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1615

I love my western saddle! I can ride my horses off leg cues using it. I've ridden 8-9 hours at a time in it, in very tuff terrian. It's getting very old so I treat it like Gold. My dressage saddle is collecting dust.

+Quote Post
HLM
post Jul 10 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #41

Advanced Senior Member

Dear Heidi

I hope I did not offend you with my opinions. Of course, if you feel good in your saddle, why not, eh.

the difference comes when you have to race-endurance- than I feel the english saddle has an edge. I dont think you want to use a dressage saddle in an endurance race, but may be a combination saddle. I guess I am thinking more of the horse than the rider.

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
Georgia
post Jul 12 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #42

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2334

Hello all, enjoying reading this very much..

Hansi, I thank you ... I think you hit the nail on the head in one of your posts and why I'm feeling so very out of control in a western saddle. After 25 plus years since I've done any serious riding and have only spent a good bit of my time in a sulky.. I'm trying my hand at trail riding, which scares the crap out of me.. but hoping I can do on a regular basis someday if my body and leg hold out. But, I have to tell you I'm feeling a bit closterphbic (sp) in a western sadde and very out of control and feel my legs are no help to me.(could be those old muscles letting me down too!) tongue.gif I thought possibly I needed some training in the western saddle (and sure this wouldn't hurt), in my younger years rode/trained saddleseat.. some have poopooed this training, but I feel it gave me very good hands and seat and wish I had had some formal training in dressage saddle.. but I'm just trying to enjoy what time I will have left in the saddle. I might dust off the old English saddle and see how it goes and maybe I will feel more at home and secure. When getting back in the saddle I thought Western was the way to go and that I'd be more secure, but from what you have explained a light bulb went off that maybe the saddle was one cause of my fears...

Anyway, thanks again..

Georgia

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Jul 12 2006, 12:46 AM
Post #43

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2799

I tried western when I was younger, in my 20's. I wound up with pain in my hips and hip flexors. So I went back to my old Stuebben. I have had that saddle for 20 some years and the people before me had it for at least that amount of time. I love it.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
Georgia
post Jul 12 2006, 01:00 AM
Post #44

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2334

QUOTE (Majid @ Jul 10 2006, 12:09 PM)
Hansi,

I also like the Stuebben saddles and have used them for years.  This year I tried a Trekker Treeless saddle.  It has fiberglass reinforcement, rather than a tree.  It is also made in Germany, and used for both dressage and endurance.  The Trekker is quite flexible, as you would imagine, and one has much closer contact with the horse.  It also seems like our horses are more relaxed with the Trekker saddle.

Below is a photo of a Trekker saddle.

Majid

Thanks Majid, I just checked out the Trekker with a tree and it looks like a nice blend of english/western. I think I'd much perfer english stirrups, but I just don't know.. my riding has been so limited for many a year.. biggrin.gif These are very reasonably priced so even I might be able to afford. When I decided to try my "behind" at riding again....My husband surprised me and bought me a nice western saddle (the thought was nice) ph34r.gif but I'm just not comfortable in it and feel I can't move my legs very well, therefore I don't ride. So possibly I can put on ebay and sell and get me a trekker. (he will get over it). unsure.gif cool.gif maybe.

Would you say Quarter horse bars work for a good withered Arabian, actually I have one each one with little wither and another with so hopefully with an extra pad or something will work for both horses. Full QH bars look to flat to me and semi QH seems to narrow.. And how would you go about deciding size of the seat? Hoping someone can help me and hope not intruding on this thread, if so please send me a personal note. It's been so long, even if I did know the answers once.

I am not riding as I can't afford another saddle at the time and don't feel safe, comfortable in the ones I do have, so maybe some possibilities here.

Thanks for any help,
Georgia

+Quote Post
Majid
post Jul 12 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #45

Advanced Senior Member

Georgia,

The Trekker is a cross between an English saddle and a Western. My Trekker does not have a horn. The treeless version is used by endurance riders and dressage riders because it is light and provides close contact. My saddle weighs 7 pounds.

The Trekker seat is also adjustable, so the seat fits different sized riders.

With regard to fitting the horse, people do say that the semi QH bars fit a majority of horses, but as you know, each horse is unique. And, there is no uniform method for measuring saddles - it seems to differ from brand to brand. Pads can be added to tailor the saddle to the specific horse.

If you do a Google search on Trekker Treeless saddles, you will see more info on how it can be adjusted. It is not for everyone, but some people do like it. I tried several saddles recently, before deciding to get this saddle.

Majid

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 09:29
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.