This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bubby's Story, A story of a foal born with wry nose
KarenSh
post Sep 4 2006, 02:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 464

Hi All,
A few years ago I had a foal born with what is termed 'wry nose'.
Another lady this season was referred to me when she was presented with a colt foal with the same condition and it has prompted me to re do Bubbys website to hopefully provide some knowlege of what this condition is and the stages of recovery after an operation.
My mare was quite severe with her front teeth 90 degrees vertical to the right side of her face so she couldnt drink by herself and would not have been able to survive on her own, she would have slowly starved to death.
There is virtually no information on this condition as most of the foals are put down due to the cost of the operation and amount of work involved and as its quite a rare condition the cost of research hasnt been warranted.
I would love to hear from other people who have had foals like Bubby and also would like to ask them a few questions privately for my own research.
Through making this public on a couple of Australian yahoo groups I have found another mare who didnt need an operation and has foaled a beautiful filly, which gives me a lot of encouragement, as Bubby is in foal to my Amir.

So here is Bubby and her journey from birth to now.

Karen

nb: many people will not understand how and why I had to do my best for Bubby, mostly when it came to spending many thousands of dollars. I am a very, very small breeder and this foal would not have been born without my choosing to mate these 2 horses, and as soon as I knew she would be able to be used as a riding horse and a breeder I had to give her a chance to survive.
If anyone knows how to get this website onto google or other search engines i would be most appreciative.

www.freewebs.com/spfaridah
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Sep 4 2006, 06:42 AM
Post #2

Guests

Hi Karen,

My husband Ken and I found your battle to give Bubby the best chance in life such an amazing thing. As you know we also had a wry nose mare who has just been sold to live in Tasmania. She had a perfectly normal, and quite exceptional filly last season. It is only the humans that find her "different", the other horses could care less, including the stallion that found her "very attractive" to produce such a stunning filly.

I have managed to get our website very high on google, but I think only out of luck. We linked our website with some of the larger arabian websites, and this obviously helped quite a bit. I can add her page to our website in our links page if you would like.

I can't wait to see your girls first foal.

Kindest Regards

Menna Hornsby

+Quote Post
KarenSh
post Sep 4 2006, 11:54 AM
Post #3

Hi Menna and Ken!
Thanks so much for your help and Kens wonderful explanations! I have taken a lot of encouragement from your lovely mare and gorgeous foal!
Exactly, Bubby has no idea she is different to the other horses, lol and since she was pregnant has turned into one of the boss mares!!
Thanks for that tip, and thankyou for adding the website. You will be one of the first to know!!
Karen

QUOTE (Guest @ Sep 4 2006, 07:42 AM)
Hi Karen,

My husband Ken and I found your battle to give Bubby the best chance in life such an amazing thing.  As you know we also had a wry nose mare who has just been sold to live in Tasmania.  She had a perfectly normal, and quite exceptional filly last season.  It is only the humans that find her "different", the other horses could care less, including the stallion that found her "very attractive" to produce such a stunning filly.

I have managed to get our website very high on google, but I think only out of luck.  We linked our website with some of the larger arabian websites, and this obviously helped quite a bit.  I can add her page to our website in our links page if you would like.

I can't wait to see your girls first foal.

Kindest Regards

Menna Hornsby

+Quote Post
gadonatella
post Sep 4 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #4

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2883

Hi,

You can submit your website to Goggle through this link: http://www.google.com/submit_content.html

They review it and decide if they'll add it to their search engine.. Good luck

Your story was very heartwarming and your mare is lovely. Best of luck with your upcoming foal !!

Thank you for sharing,

Sandy

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Sep 4 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #5

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2799

I know of a mare with the same situation, but, not to the degree as Bubby. I will not give her name as I do not own her and have not asked for permission. It was not noticed until she was a yearling. First thing that was noticed that her eyes did not line up, one was higher than the other. Then as she matured, one side of her face had more of a dish than the other. Then you noticed that her teeth did not align properly and her muzzle curves to the left. She is able to drink and eat normally. The bonus is that she has produced to normal foals. One is an adult now and shows no sign of any deformity and is very beautiful, the other is a weanling, that shows no signs.
Thank you for sharing Bubby's story and I look forward to pictures of her foal.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
KarenSh
post Sep 4 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #6

Thankyou Sandy!
Much appreciated and easy to do as well!
I will let everyone know when she foals, feedback is very encouraging!!
thanks
karen

QUOTE (gadonatella @ Sep 4 2006, 01:46 PM)
Hi,

You can submit your website to Goggle through this link: http://www.google.com/submit_content.html

They review it and decide if they'll add it to their search engine.. Good luck

Your story was very heartwarming and your mare is lovely. Best of luck with your upcoming foal !!

Thank you for sharing,

Sandy

+Quote Post
KarenSh
post Sep 4 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #7

Hi Cheryl,
Thanks for that info. How unusual for it to happen after birth. I wonder if its the same thing? Bubbys eyes have always lined up no problems there at all, but also makes sense from what Ken has explained. Are the eyes back to normal or still not lined up?
Fantastic the foals are fine as well, is very encouraging!
Did the owner take photos as this was happening?
thanks
karen

QUOTE (cmlshamal @ Sep 4 2006, 03:31 PM)
I know of a mare with the same situation, but, not to the degree as Bubby. I will not give her name as I do not own her and have not asked for permission.  It was not noticed until she was a yearling. First thing that was noticed that her eyes did not line up, one was higher than the other. Then as she matured, one side of her face had more of a dish than the other. Then you noticed that her teeth did not align properly and her muzzle curves to the left.  She is able to drink and eat normally. The bonus is that she has produced to normal foals. One is an adult now and shows no sign of any deformity and is very beautiful, the other is a weanling, that shows no signs.
Thank you for sharing Bubby's story and I look forward to pictures of her foal.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
gadonatella
post Sep 5 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #8

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2883

Your very welcome Karen.. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sandy

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Sep 5 2006, 03:06 PM
Post #9

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2799

The eyes do not line up at all. In fact the two halves of her face do not match. One side has a nice dish and the other side has an extreme dish. The extreme dish side is the side that goes to the left. They figure that down the road they will have to feed her a mash. Maybe it is not the same thing, although interesting non the less. There are not pictures.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
KarenSh
post Sep 5 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #10

Hi Cheryl,
It does sound different as the other wry noses havent had their eyes distorted like that, but it sounds like what has been described as well where the cartiliage has been deformed and is pulling one side of the face out of whack.
thankyou for your information, would love to have seen but totally understand.
Am glad she is having a good life and is breeding beautiful foals.
Thanks
Karen

+Quote Post
djm
post Sep 7 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2143

We have had one colt born with a wry nose. He couldn't nurse, so was taken from his mother the first day of life. He could drink from a bucket and eventually graze. He was placed in a loving home and lives a wonderful life with his owner. She loves him dearly.

He is one of the fortunate ones. Our vet's recommendation was to euthanize him the first day. I didn't think that was fair for him - he deserved a chance. It is thought that this is a malformation and not a genetic defect.

I think it's so admirable that your mare is being bred. I'm anxious to see the foal and hope all goes well.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Guest_karen sh_*
post Sep 8 2006, 08:24 AM
Post #12

Guests

Hi DJM,
Its brilliant that your colt is still doing so well without an operation and is so loved too!
thankyou for posting the photo too, i look forward to hearing more about him. It is encouraging for others that are out there that they can survive and lead useful lives, with or without operations!
THANKYOU for getting in touch too, it does mean a lot!
karen

+Quote Post
KarenSh
post Dec 5 2006, 05:00 AM
Post #13

I wanted to let you all know that Bubby has now foaled and her filly is just perfect!
She is the sweetest little girl, very dainty and lady like and loves her scratches and cuddles.
I am so thankful everything went well, and to get a filly to boot to carry on her lineage is just the icing on the cake.
More photos will be posted on her website as well as the stud one as well.
Thankyou everyone with your wonderful comments and support.
My daughter named her Faanya, which means free. She will now take over from her mother and do all the things that Bubby couldnt due to her nose.
Enjoy
Karen
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Dec 5 2006, 05:40 AM
Post #14

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

What a beautiful baby ! Congrats.Just goes to prove that you did absolutely the right thing for your mare.
Best
Cathy

+Quote Post
TinaK
post Dec 5 2006, 08:48 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4384

WONDERFUL news! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 03:14
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.