This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are We Driving Newcommers Away?, Arabian Horse shows
Guest_Guest_*
post Oct 5 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #136

Guests

Hansi,

last time I wrote that I signed my name under it and got more abuse. You said that to me in my face, and I'll never forget it, even though you plainly have. I won't waste my breath discussing it with you any more.
And seeing that you ignore the rest of my statement, just as you ignore everyone elses comments when they ask you not to make a religion out of your opinion, a constructive discussion seems rather out of question.
Just food for thought, but I have no doubt that you will ignore that too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Oct 5 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #137

Guests

I know that we are most of us tired of Hansi's endless speaches.
Most people have other things to do than write endless stories about own opinions, without listening to others. But just go on Hansi, you are at least enjoying it yourself, few people read your posts when they see you wrote them. It's easier just to scroll past them and read all other nice things written in this wonderful forum!! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Marilee_*
post Oct 5 2006, 06:26 PM
Post #138

Guests

Lest we forget, we do have the love of our horses in common. Others are reading this. Who has positive suggestions for how to bring new people or return others to the Arabian breed?

1) do more than just show in Arabian breed shows or advertise in Arabian breed magazines

2) reach out to children of all races and economic groups with your horses

3) be safe and respectful with your horses, as others will see and maybe copy

(please continue in a positive thread--then we can share this brainstorming with others and make some needed changes) Thanks-Marilee, Las Vegas, Nevada biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Marilee_*
post Oct 5 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #139

Guests

PS--Hansi writes because she is passionate about her feelings. I hope I can speak up as well in years to come. We can disagree, but we can do it in a respectful/different way. If I were an outsider reading this, would I want to get an Arabian?

+Quote Post
heidip
post Oct 5 2006, 06:42 PM
Post #140

Advanced Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1615

My two year old stallion is pastured with other horses, he wouldn't think of striking one not even the foals.I do resent being told I have to ride my SE's for them to be worth anything.I do ride but thats not anyone else's business.I have young kids to my farm all the time riding.And they haul my young stallion around.People that fall in love with the Arabian horse should be welcomed on any terms they want to own them.Finding a soul mate in the wonder and beauty that surrounds Arabians for some is enough, Who are we to decide they need to live with them ect? I get just as big a thrill just spending time with my group as I do riding.In the ever sprawl of suburia there is not that much room for new farms.Better that people own and love their horses in a boarding stable then not owning any.God bless the Arabian horse and those that love them.

+Quote Post
K2A
post Oct 5 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #141

Member No.: 2788

Here, here!! Heidip
Those with closed minds speak to themselves.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Oct 5 2006, 08:13 PM
Post #142

Guests

QUOTE (Guest @ Oct 5 2006, 07:16 PM)
Hansi,
last time I wrote that I signed my name under it and got more abuse. You said that to me in my face, and I'll never forget it, even though you plainly have. I won't waste my breath discussing it with you any more.
And seeing that you ignore the rest of my statement, just as you ignore everyone elses comments when they ask you not to make a religion out of your opinion, a constructive discussion seems rather out of question.
Just food for thought, but I have no doubt that you will ignore that too.

QUOTE (Guest @ Oct 5 2006, 07:25 PM)
I know that we are most of us tired of Hansi's endless speaches.
Most people have other things to do than write endless stories about own opinions, without listening to others. But just go on Hansi, you are at least enjoying it yourself,  few people read your posts when they see you wrote them. It's easier just to scroll past them and read all other nice things written in this wonderful forum!! tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif

I totally agree with you, Guest, and that's why when I post a reply I don't sign my name because what happened to you happened to me!! dry.gif

QUOTE (Marilee @ Oct 5 2006, 07:26 PM)
Lest we forget, we do have the love of our horses in common.  Others are reading this.    Who has positive suggestions for how to bring new people or return others to the Arabian breed?
1)  do more than just show in Arabian breed shows or advertise in Arabian breed magazines
2)  reach out to children of all races and economic groups with your horses
3)  be safe and respectful with your horses, as others will see and maybe copy
(please continue in a positive thread--then we can share this brainstorming with others and make some needed changes)  Thanks-Marilee,  Las Vegas,  Nevada      biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Marilee @ Oct 5 2006, 07:33 PM)
PS--Hansi writes because she is passionate about her feelings.  I hope I can speak up as well in years to come.  We can disagree, but we can do it in a respectful/different way.  If I were an outsider reading this, would I want to get an Arabian?

I agree with you, Marilee, but you are also more tactful then others. smile.gif And to answer your question, "If I were an outsider reading this, would I want to get an Arabian?"......sadly, NO! sad.gif

QUOTE (heidip @ Oct 5 2006, 07:42 PM)
My two year old stallion is pastured with other horses, he wouldn't think of striking one not even the foals.I do resent being told I have to ride my SE's for them to be worth anything.I do ride but thats not anyone else's business.I have young kids to my farm all the time riding.And they haul my young stallion around.People that fall in love with the Arabian horse should be welcomed on any terms they want to own them.Finding a soul mate in the wonder and beauty that surrounds Arabians for some is enough, Who are we to decide they need to live with them ect? I get just as big a thrill just spending time with my group as I do riding.In the ever sprawl of suburia there is not that much room for new farms.Better that people own and love their horses in a boarding stable then not owning any.God bless the Arabian horse and those that love them.

Yes, Heidi! biggrin.gif I have owned Arabians for years, breed and board them, because I don't have the luxury of owning a farm, and my horses receive the best of care and training and no one has the right to decide otherwise....except for me!! dry.gif

QUOTE (K2A @ Oct 5 2006, 08:14 PM)
Here, here!!  Heidip
Those with closed minds speak to themselves.

Perfect comment, K2A!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_Manuela_*_*
post Oct 5 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #143

Guests

I found the picture of Sakr and ibn Morafic led by Tom McNair and Douglas Marshall. They stand face to face in the ring and inbetween them Mrs Marshall (?)and both stallions look alert but not agressiv. When they did it Hansi why should others do not?
I can't figure out how to put this pic in the forum however, I'll send it to the webmaster and hope he will.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_maxhopemime_*_*
post Oct 6 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #144

Guests

Its sad that there are people out there who will think it's OK to do this with out proir schooling of the horses involved. And when a tragic accident happens it will be one more reason newcomers will look to other breeds more suitable for their familys. I cann't ever recall the last time I saw QH's stood nose to nose can you?

+Quote Post
K2A
post Oct 6 2006, 01:33 AM
Post #145

Member No.: 2788

THE ARABIAN BREED...
The STANDARD
Love what you have, make what you love, and you will be successful!
People follow what THEY believe in. If your not doing that, there are other issues.
That, probably is another thread. smile.gif
Don't be a sheep. If you wouldn't have it in you pasture to appreciate, you don't need to breed it.
KNOW what is right for you. BELIEVE!

Investigation of everything, leads me down the right path.
Do your research.
That will make this industry THRIVE.
= THE COMPLETE PACKAGE smile.gif
Everyone wants that...
...to each ones disgression.(sp) unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Sybille_*
post Oct 6 2006, 07:18 AM
Post #146

Guests

Again (see Pianissima thread) we should agree to disagree.

Maxophemime
Do you ever realized that Arabians are DIFFERENT than QHs? It's this difference that makes Arabians so special. They are a whole lot easier to handle than QHs or warmblood horses for that matter. But again: We should agree to disagree here. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Oct 6 2006, 09:45 AM
Post #147

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Yes, I agree again: We should agree to disagree! biggrin.gif
Important is that we all respect other opinions and not trying to convince the whole
world to follow our own opinion.

Manuela sent me this picture, I guess it's Ibn Morafic on the left
and Sakr on the right together with Douglas B. Marshall and the late Tom McNair respectively.
The late Margaret Marshal (Douglas B. Marshall's wife) is standing in the middle.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ETC
post Oct 6 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #148

Member No.: 769

Stallions who are used to other stallions are not dangerous to each other! That most trainers also know, not to put the wrong stallion to another horse..
This is again- two stallions enjoying each other's company.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
MAXHOPEMIME
post Oct 6 2006, 11:54 AM
Post #149

Member No.: 2606

Sybillie,

I know the difference but, do newcommers? We have all repeatedly heard the perception that Arabians are hot, reactive, hard to control, crazy, etc.

How did it get that way? We took the normal exuberence of the animal to new heights in the halter ring and put too much emphasis on those classes.

I have friends who are not horse folks by any means whose only exposure to the arabian was the happenstance of seeing a halter class on cable tv. Their first remark to me when I told them I had arabians was "those horses are crazy wild"

Now we all know that to change my friends perception will be easy all I have to do is have them come over and meet these "wild" beasts in person. But how many have we lost because of first impressions?

Respectfully,
Chris

+Quote Post
Guest_Basilisk_*
post Oct 6 2006, 12:12 PM
Post #150

Guests

All the cases of stallions presented together without any trouble have one thing in common - they are from the same establishment!

It is, as ETC points out, completely different to putting two strange horses together in a face-off.

Further, if you look *carefully* at the photo of Ibn Morafic and Sakr, NO-ONE is standing between the two stallion: both handlers are standing well to one side, and Margaret Marshall is standing even further out of the way. So even the people who know these horses *intimately* are not placing themselves in danger.

Arabians ARE seen to be a dangerous breed: one well established PRE breeder told a group of artists - including myself - visiting his stud how gentle his stallion are, and how they could be left tied up together without any trouble. He then added "You couldn't do THAT with Arabs"!

When it comes to safety, it is not a matter of opinion: it is a question of what is safe and what is not. Lots of people ride without hard hats, but that does not mean it is safe to do so: ask any brain surgeon.

heidpi, you will find your colt a very different chap when he gets a bit older and his hormones kick in! He will not be nasty, but he will be a LOT more assertive. My 2 stallions ran together all the time as youngsters and were only separated when one had an accident on the lunge at 3yo: however, I could not turn them out in the same paddock permanently after that as they played so much more roughly (but not maliciously) they were taking lumps out of each other.

Even stallions that adore their owners can - under the influence of their hormones - sometime 'lose the plot' and injure their owners.

Finally, I would like to say that though I have never met Hansi, I do know who she is and what she has donme with and for the breed, and I have found her contributions to every thread I have so far read in my short time here both instructive and constructive. I would therefore not dream of trying to contradict her using instances of horses and people she knew personally!

Keren

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 21:16
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.