This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are We Driving Newcommers Away?, Arabian Horse shows
HLM
post Sep 28 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 192

Dear Readers

I had recommended to some friends in Europe to visit the Aachen show. The report I got back is frightening.

Some of The remarks were: Horses were beautiful but we are afraid to own one of these Arabians, they are so eratic, so crazy and only special people can handle them. We are afraid that our children could not handle them, nor we.

People were screaming so loud, it scared us, it was almost uncivilized.

We have 2 Qhorses and wanted an Arabian, but will refrain.

I have been hearing these comments more than once also here in the USA
and have to agree, that someone who does not know the arabians, can get
bad ideas and refer such on.

I also feel, a show should not just be for the owners, but for the general public which will draw their conclusions by our behavior and that of the horses. It will drive people away.

Therefore, I am asking all your opinions as to what we can try to change
to put a better imagine of what an Arabian truly is like .

It is so sad.

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_BettyK_*_*
post Sep 28 2006, 04:21 PM
Post #2

Guests

Sad to say, but maybe the Arab shows aren't the best place to recommend that newcomers visit!

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_Dave_*_*
post Sep 28 2006, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Guests

Hansi,

I agree with you totally.

My wife hates shows. She hates the screaming and hype. She sees the disconnect between real horsemanship and the show arena. She hates halter. If she saw good horsemanship and good treatment of horses, she'd be happy but that's not likely.

I volunteer for the TAIL program at our local shows and I always take the visitors away from the warmup arena and go directly to the barns so the kids can pet horses and feed them carrots. While I'm giving a tour, I pray that no one will be mistreating any horses.

Dave

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Sep 28 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #4

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2826

I agree.......I had people a few days ago ask me after looking through a AHW magazine....why these horses looked so .....freakish(their words not mine) they are NOT arabian people...they did say that the Arabian is beautiful...but why all the goo on the face and the extreme Halter stances that is not normal.....??? I myself every chance I get Love to have people (non arabian) around my SE Gelding as they always leave with a good opinion.....not only is he gorgeous...and has all the fire that the Arabian has...but SWEET and easily managed and handled!! I Love to educate people and show them the REAL Arabian horse in all its natural glory........I truely believe I have made a few no believers take a 2nd look.

+Quote Post
Guest_so true_*
post Sep 28 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #5

Guests

The worst thing is, it doesnt just drive newcommers away sad.gif

One of my friends, that has a warmblood, went with me to a show, she left after the first 4 classes, she couldnt accept the way the horses were treated, and told me that this was why she NEVER wanted an arabian, and that it was worse than she imagined. even she asked me why a crazy horse could win, and if this was the disposition we wanted in the breed, since we would award it.

+Quote Post
SHOgrl97
post Sep 28 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2530

not to mention the stud fees....

+Quote Post
Mesadagirl
post Sep 28 2006, 05:16 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 3241

This past summer was my first experience in a long while with A level showing with Arabs. I have been out of the whole showing arena in all areas of horses for years. The only time I seen anything I thought was "wrong" was the handlers working with the young halter horses at the Regional Championships. Saying they are rewarded for such treatment and training methods was proved out in the show ring.

However, I did not see anything I would have considered freakish or crazy in the warm up ring or around the show grounds. Maybe the area we show is an exception? unsure.gif If so then I am glad to be living here and lucky to have never witnessed these shows.

As for the "goo on the faces" did you know that the Quarter Horse people do the same thing? laugh.gif That made me smile!

Back a hundred years ago when I was active as a competitor at shows (not Arab) I noticed a higher level of questionable occurances. These were at two different breed type shows and a wide variety of events (Quarter Horse, 3 day eventing, showjumping, Thoughbred racing to name a few) I guess it's there maybe just better hidden? unsure.gif

Sheri

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Sep 28 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #8

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2826

what I was speaking of as far as "goo" is simple...I think if you want to enhance the face a bit...ok.....BUT...you look in all the Arabian Magazines and its beyond enhance....WAY more than that!!

+Quote Post
Sabine Akel
post Sep 28 2006, 05:51 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 819

I m afraid you are right ! we have regularly visitors coming to our farm totally surprised how cosy the horses especially the youngsters could be towards humans .
Some older mares hate visitors because they don t want to be sold , all these reactions are unexpected to them .
That s people who have seen shows essentially because arabians under a saddle in competition are rather scares .

The last colt I sold untied himself in the van & decided to travel backwards head looking out of the van ; the new owner was horrified when she noticed upon arrival , she called me rightaway , I started laughing & told her , this way you don t have to spend hours unloading him backwards.
He was bored & knew how to resolve the problem .
I told her this is the first story of many more to come with your new arabian ..

Have a look at the JORDAN SHOW thread & what Princess Alia did with Hlayyil she is a horsewoman & she knows how to ride .Maybe there is a chance for things to change , if others follow her example

Breeders of race horses have very harsh words for the show scene it makes you embarassed because you have to admit that they have a point .

I have seen in an A show a stallion presented with a broken jaw the handler didnt stop shanking the poor creature .
Nobody noticed that this horse was hurt & should have never been shown .
Just try to imagine yourself with a broken jaw & someone hitting you on the face !

Honestly with such a reputation do you think that real horsepeople won t be driven away from Arabians ?

All this is very sad but we can change it

Sabine Akel

+Quote Post
Guest_Dietmar_*
post Sep 28 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #10

Guests

I don't agree.
Hansi, me and my wife actually WERE at Aachen with some newcomer friends but they don't saw aggressive horses or nervous wracks. They were surprised that the stallions were shown face to face and were contzrollable by their handlers. And they were surprised that many stallions were "on" on command and in the next second they stood calmly besides their handlers and were very relaxed.
Of course I agree some horse had make-up too much and all this show stuff but at a whole picture my friends enjoyed the show and were not at least disgusted by what they saw.
I am sorry to disagree but I only can tell what I have experienced.

+Quote Post
bastet1949
post Sep 28 2006, 07:44 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1532

MMMMmmmmmm................... I know I put my neck into a rope for hanging BUT:

I was taking part in the show of the Lowland Arabian Cup 2006 August 12th - 13th and noticed the following:

There was such a yelling and noice: , helping " handlers " from outside the showring, using almost everything that makes noice to get the arabian IN the showring upset and by that "showing" themselves, with tails high, big nervous eyes and trotting if the devil himself was behind.............

The speaker took the microfoon and told the people that the judges asked for stopping that noice, asked the handlers to lett the arabians trott in theire own way , lett them walk on there own feet, show realy what they can show us how "dancing" they can be.........
and when not stopping the noice: the handler could leave the showring with his arabian.!!!!!!!
That helps , of course not total, but the noice was realy reduced .
We talked that over, later in the Asil Club and we all agreed what the speeker said on that show...............VERY GOOD JUDGES (I think)
but:
what do YOU think ????????

regards, Bastet

+Quote Post
HLM
post Sep 28 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #12

Advanced Senior Member

Dear Dietmar

That's just it, putting two stallions nose on nose. That was another question I was asked" What kind of dumb horsehandlers are these".

My question. Children or others could try to copy this and someone gets hurt.
Will these shows who permitted such dangerous display/teaching be willing to accept a multi million dollar lawsuit and can they? I remind you of people picking things up from the TV displays etc, and have been sued and LOST!.
Personally, I am glad they did.

I THINK ALL SHOWS SHOULD BE MADE AWARE OF THE CONSEQUENCES.

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
HLM
post Sep 28 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #13

Advanced Senior Member

Dear Bsted

At the Egyptian Nationals one year the grand stand had individual groups of course, all yelling and screaming for their favorite horse. It was so bad that the horses got so upset and did not show off what they could. It was announced that if one more "noise" of this sort be heard, That horses will be excused from the ring for which the group was routing for. Dr Nasr can confirm this.

I think this could be introduced and then lets see who all gets the gate, ha!

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Sep 28 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #14

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (HLM @ Sep 28 2006, 07:49 PM)
Dear Dietmar

That's just it, putting two stallions nose on nose. That was another question I was asked" What kind of dumb horsehandlers are these".

My question. Children or others could try to copy this and someone gets hurt.
Will these shows who permitted such dangerous display/teaching be willing to accept a multi million dollar lawsuit and can they? I remind you of people picking things up from the TV displays etc, and have been sued and LOST!.
Personally, I am glad they did.

I THINK ALL SHOWS SHOULD BE MADE AWARE OF THE CONSEQUENCES.

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

Dear Hansi

With all due respect - in Europe handlers do this as long I can remember.
I visiting shows for more than twenty years now and in Europe the handlers
always did that. Here in Europe handlers are "playing" with their stallions,
teasing each other to show their guys to their full advantage. It's part of the game,
it's part of the excitement. They are experienced. People like Frank, Scott,
Johanna, Bart, Emma, Michael and all the others knowing exactly
what they are doing.
For example Frank likes to present his stallions in a flashy way. They even rear
sometimes - it's fun, he controll them every minute.
The handlers are no foolish kids - they are professionals. Trust them.

And please be fair. You can't prevent people doing dumb things.
When I go to the circus and see a man working with six tigers and try
to copy this and the tigers eat me - who is responsible then? The tamer?
When a professional handler is doing his job and an amateur tries to copy him
don't blame it to the handler! Again, with all due respect, but that's ridiculous.
When someone sees Michael Schumacher winning a Formula One race
at the TV and then thinks he can do the same and drives his car with
240 km againt a tree - do you really think Michael Schumacher is to blame?

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Sep 28 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (Oliver @ Sep 28 2006, 09:24 PM)
Dear Hansi

With all due respect - in Europe handlers do this as long I can remember.
I visiting shows for more than twenty years now and in Europe the handlers
always did that. Here in Europe  handlers are "playing" with their stallions,
teasing each other to show their guys to their full advantage. It's part of the game,
it's part of the excitement. They are experienced.  People like Frank, Scott,
Johanna, Bart, Emma, Michael and all the others knowing exactly
what they are doing.
For example Frank likes to present his stallions in a flashy way. They even rear
sometimes - it's fun, he controll them every minute.
The handlers are no foolish kids - they are professionals. Trust them.

It still doesnt make it right, and it is STILL dangerous! but I kind of hope someone will get badly hurt someday, it seems like it's the only way they get the message.
Horses are not toys! and they should not be threated as such, just because the so-called pro is handling them... I have more than once seen Frank pretty close to get hit in the head by one of the horses he was showing, it was pure luck that nothing happened!

+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd September 2014 - 04:43
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.