This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Strangles Need Help
saafan-arabians
post Jan 22 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4968

HI ALL THIS IS MY FIRST MESSAGE HERE . MY FARM IN EGYPT EAST.

I HAVE FILLY 4MONS NOW INFECTED BY STRANGLES 2 MON AGO AT EAO

WHERE IT ENDEMIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW SHE HAS NO SYMPTOMS EXEPT HEAVY SECRETIONS FROM BOTH NOSTRILS . AND NO FEVER, EAT GOOD . ALSO COUGH WITH EATING AND SUK LING. NEED HELP THANX.

M.Saafan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HLM
post Jan 22 2007, 09:43 PM
Post #2

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 192

Dear M Safaan

there is nothing you can do other than let it boil out. It is highly contagous and those who never had it, might get it. Those who ever had it dont get it again.
We dont even inoculate for it, had bad results with such, but did nothave any for 20 years.

Watch the discharge, if it is strangles, it will look greenish eventually.Ask your vet if penicillin willhelp. We say, as our vets, as long as the horse eats, its not too bad.

The horses affected might get swelling in which is puss, in their face, around the neck/jawls and sometimes this has to be lanced in order to let the puss flow out.
Watch that it does not effect the breathing area, because there it can strangle, cut the air off. there are also what is called here "Bastard strangels". These are more dangerous, go through the entire body and often horses die on it. You will see swelling between the front leg area at the chest..etc.

Some horsemen say" thanks God my horse has the strangles, once it is gone we dont have to worry anymore". They worry that often it can happen just before the show season, that's what they mean. We too.

Just keep a watch on it and ask your Vet what else to do. Try not to let them out with other horses and disinfect the stalls regularly- wash them down.Wash your hands with disinfectant before you touch anythingelse or another horse.
And keep the nostrils of the horses clean and clear, wash as often as you can, but throw the cloth away in a sealed garbage bag you will burn.

Good luck and may God be at your side and your horses always!.

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
daniela-eva
post Jan 22 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3872

hallo m.saafan smile.gif
sorry to hear that your horse is so ill and i hope and pray that everything will be ok soon.
there is a very interesting link in the web, maybe also useful for your vet.
www.horsevet.co.uk./strangles.php
hope it helps. good luck smile.gif
daniela

+Quote Post
saafan-arabians
post Jan 22 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #4

THANKS HASNI,
THANKS DANIELA
FOR FAST REPLY

BUT THE PROBLEM THAT IT IS NOW THE DISEASE IS OUT OF CONTROLE AND ANOTHER ONE IS INFECTED .

AS REGARDING THE FILLY WE MADE CULTURE FOR DISCHARGE AND WAS PENICILLINE RESISTANCE SO, SHE TREATED BY CEPHALOSPORINES AND ELIMINATE THE INFECTION EXCEPT THE DISCHARGE FROM NOSTRILS

MY QUESTION FOR ANY ONE THAT MAY HAVE ANSWER WHY SECRETION IS STILL ALTHOUGHT SHE IS SYMPTOMS FREE AND
WHAT I DO ?

THANX
M.SAAFAN

+Quote Post
Georgia
post Jan 22 2007, 11:43 PM
Post #5

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2334

Strangles spreads like wildfires, I would not be to shocked if everyone in the barn comes down with it, especially the young ones. Older ones may not get the strangles or ones exposed in the past. We had one barn that would come down with strangles about every 5 years or so. Thinking it was in the ground and came out on occasions. As all the other barns never had strangles. Everyone of my 7 horses got it that were in that barn. We treated with antibiotics at first and then just let nature take it course, if there was no fever and they were eating. Takes a good long time for it to go away and for the horses to heal.

I would not put them to work again until many weeks after all symptoms are gone and go easy at first.

I made the mistake of listening to a vet and vaccinated, one had a severe reaction to it. Never Never vaccinate an older horse.

Georgia

+Quote Post
CenturyOak
post Jan 23 2007, 08:40 PM
Post #6

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1019

You have to be careful when you use antibiotics for this as well becasue you can cause it to go dormant and then pop out months later when the horse is put into heavy work. If you're lucky it will break back out under the jaw.. if you're not so lucky it will go internal and if it breaks out in the lungs or brain the horse dies. Bastard or internal strangles is nearly impossible to cure tho I do personally know one horse that had it and recovered after many many months of serious and very heavy antibiotics. Long lasting prognosis is still unknown but he's been clear for nearly a year now with no recurrence.

The best thing as Hansi said is to let it drain and be done with it. A drawing salve will help this and above all else thoroughly clean everything the horse comes in contact with. Feed and handle them last before leaving the barn then wash clothing and shoes once you're back inside. Strangles can live in the dirt for years and years and pop up when you least expect it. We've had it here about 10 years ago and it went away with no recurrence (knocking on wood). We have had horses hauled in from out of state that were draining under the jaw and luckily none of the others came down with it. As was said, as long as the horse is eating there's not too much concern, just be sure it continues to drain and that you try to control the spread.

It's nasty, but it's not a death sentence usually.. I'd almost rather my youngsters got it over with to be honest :smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tenkenva
post Jan 23 2007, 09:30 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2725

I reccomend the antibiotic Naxcel, it is expensive and is injectable......so if you cannot give a shot you may have a problem. But, it is very effective. I know a lot of vet's that reccomend it.

+Quote Post
avanti
post Jan 24 2007, 07:59 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3885

Hi, I had a horrendous bout of strangles last spring; everyone was infected but one mare had a thick discharge and was short of breath for around 8 months after everyone else was clear, she has now recovered but it has been a long road she was treated with penecillin but none of the others were, really its just a matter of time and good husbandry, so sorry you are going thro' this; Mandy.

+Quote Post
HLM
post Jan 24 2007, 01:46 PM
Post #9

Advanced Senior Member

Dear CenturyOak

You are so right. We used to inoculate some 25 years ago with horrible results.
So we decided to leave it alone. In the early 80ties we had a horrible outbreak. A horse from Canada brought it in and over 100 of our horses got it. We quarantined ourselves immediately. In about 4-6 weeks all was over and done with plus an over $ 10,000 veterinarian expense. These horses never got it again.

I never worry about it anymore either. If they get it, it's God's will, and then they are okay for life. We all already overinoculate I think.

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
Tenkenva
post Jan 24 2007, 05:23 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2725

I would like to mention, I do not innoculate for it either. If caught early, it is very treatable. I don't feel like the vaccine is reliable. I think it is best to read the scientific research concerning vaccines.

I hope everything is going better for you, does anyone have an update on how the horse is doing?

+Quote Post
saafan-arabians
post Jan 25 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #11

DEARS

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL FOR INTERIST AND HELPFULL DATA GIVEN.

AS I SAID SHE IS 4MONS AND TAKE COURSE OF ANTIBIOTIC PENICILLIN AND ANTIPYRETIC FENADINE FOR 7DAYS.

THE CASE NOT BECOME BETTER SO , WE USE ANOTHER ANTIBIOTIC CEFOTAXIM (3RD GEN CEPHALSPORINS) AND GIVE DRAMATIC RESPONSE AND BECOME WELL EXEPT DISCHARGE AND PALPABLE LYMPH NODS UNDER MANDIBLE

IT IS NOW 2MONTH FROM BEGINING OF DISE

WHAT I DO REPEATE THE SAME COURSE OF ANTI B OR ALTERNATIVE ?

OR LEAVE FOR NATURE ALSO SHE EAT AND LACTATE GOOD BUT NOT VERY GOOD AND ACTIVITY NOT GOOD

M.SAAFAN

+Quote Post
HLM
post Jan 25 2007, 03:58 PM
Post #12

Advanced Senior Member

Dear Safaan

I am not a veterinarian so can only give an opinion, which is difficult, because I dont have the foal infront of me.

If she has large swellings, and when you touch them they are soft, we would cut into them to have the puss drain out. It takes a very smal insertion. Your veterinarian will know where and what to cut to drain. Personally I do not like puss being absorbed by the body, rather have it drained. Should this happen, we use "flower of Sulphur" mixed with vaseline(Petroleum jelly) and smear it heavyly over the wound (cut). Sulphur heals and vaseline keeps the wound open to drain. Mix it to have it look like a lemon in colour, you wont hurt if the mixture is either to light or dark. We healed huge wounds with this concoction, which is inexpensive.Always have a yar on hand for cuts and srapes.It is also mild enough to not irritate. I am using this method for over 50 years, was given it by an oldtimer horseman in Canada.

I dont think all the inoculations will help that much. I rather believe to let nature take its course. As long as that foal nurses/eats it is a very good sign.

Good luck
Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Jan 25 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #13

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

Dear M. Safaan
Do you have a fax number?
I have a very good book with a section on strangles. It is too long to post here, but if you have a fax number, I will photo copy it and fax it to you. You can send me a PM or email if you would like to.
Best
Cathy

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 13:38
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.