This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> He's 23 Today !
poppeens
post Feb 19 2007, 01:06 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 490

just a short post to wish

wub.gif Happy Birthday ! wub.gif

to my old boy, York, who's 23 years old today and almost 9 years with me.

His health is still good except for arthrosis in his hocks. He is ridden once a week and yesterday during our weekly tour he acted like a 3 year old blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif jumping in the air from time to time... (well spring is coming...)

What are you using to prevent further development of arthrosis with older horses? I give him glucosamine and MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) but there might be something more efficient on the market...
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Carol Cooper-Hal...
post Feb 19 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #2

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2995

WOW....HAPPY BIRTHDAY to "York"....he looks FABULOUS!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Cheers,
Carol

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Feb 19 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #3

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2799

What a grand old horse. Happy Birthday York!

Marie,
What I have found to work for the arthritis and aches and pains in old horses and dogs is ground Flaxseed. I buy whole flaxseed by the 50 pound bag. In the whole form it will stay fresh for about 8 months, it can be ground with a coffee grinder or a blender. IF you grind ahead of time, it MUST be kept in the refrigerator or freezer. I would start out with 1/2 cup of ground flax, twice a day, then work your way up to 1 cup twice a day. When you notice improvement in how he moves, go back to 1 cup once a day. All of our horses are getting ground flax. It put one heck of a shine on their coats. It has helped an old horse with severe Heaves. In fact Fashion was going to put down a year ago. Now he bounces around like a baby and has a great time with breathing. Another old guy is on the flax for his arthritis and now I have quit giving him Bute on the days the farrier comes. Another person put their horses on ground flax for heaves and they are using less medication and are much more spry. Yet another, started to use flax, because her horse would break out in serious Hives when it rained and has been doing so since a foal. This horse is not breaking out in hives anymore. I would give it a good 6 weeks to work. I just put it on top of their grain. I have not had a horse refuse it yet.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
aliaalhussein
post Feb 19 2007, 02:41 PM
Post #4

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 21

Very happy birthday to him!!! I'm told cinnamon and honey is good for humans, but cider vinegar is good for both so maybe this is too?

+Quote Post
iluvmyarab
post Feb 20 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1781

Your horse is looking very spry and handsome at 23! I have been told that Arabians reach their prime in their twenties. I hope he had a nice horse-birthday!

Years ago I read " Folk Medicine: A New England Almanac of Natural Health Care from a Noted Vermont Country Doctor" , By D.C. Jarvis, MD. The author talks much about the benefits of apple cider vinegar and honey to treat various human and animal ailments. I give my 3 y/o filly a splash of cider vinegar and about 1/3 of a cup of either peanut or corn oil in her feed daily. She has yet to complain... biggrin.gif
She was so ill when we "rescued" her a couple of years ago that I figure that anything that might improve her overall health is worth a shot.
I know that capsaisin (sp?) the active constituent in hot peppers is said to be helpful for arthritis in particular. Apparently it can be purchased in a creme form. The extract ( in tincture or creme form) of the herb Arnica montana is also a good pain reliever for muscle strain, sprains and some have used it for arthritis, as well.
I have also heard wonderful things about flax seed and flax seed oil.
Maybe you might try an internal approach using the flax and vinegar and something external for pain?

Regards,
Stacey

+Quote Post
Regality
post Feb 20 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #6

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2424

I'd be careful with honey. Great for adult humans... toxic for babies. I know that some animals also cant tolerate it. Just a warning to do some more research.

anyway...........HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HE LOOKS WONDERFUL!

+Quote Post
Georgia
post Feb 20 2007, 12:47 AM
Post #7

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2334

Happy Birthday wishes from Moses and Georgia. Moses will be 29 the end of the month. My vet is always amazed at how well he is and looks for his age. He also told me you can take at least 7-8 years off an Arabians age to other breeds.
So he is a 15 year old QH. tongue.gif Glad to hear you are still riding him. I stopped riding Moses way to early with my vets figures.

Happy birthday, enjoy your boy. He is beautiful..and so very lucky to have you for a friend.

Georgia

+Quote Post
poppeens
post Feb 20 2007, 09:45 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 490

Many thanks for all your replies and tips re. arthritis...
I' ll try them out :-)

He had a nice horse birthday, ate all I brought. Carrots, apples and bananas. And when he was done he of course started to kick in the door with his front leg to try to get some more... biggrin.gif

I had even brought 2 dates (my favorite ones, the big ones called Medjoul or something like lthat). Well... I thought this would be the perfect gift for an Arabian horse... but yesterday he didn't like them anymore and spit the first one so his stable mate was more than happy to devour the second one !

Georgia: : big kiss to Moose for his coming birthday too! Could post a pic of him?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 13:36
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.