This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dressage Beyond Belief!, A performance par excellence!
Ladypurr
post Apr 19 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Good day, People!

I just had to share this with everyone. Even if you've seen it before, it captures your heart and holds you messmerized!

Enjoy the most talented, the most enthusiastic, the most incredible dressage pair I've ever witnessed. I had tears in my eyes and wanted to stand up and cheer!

It's a YouTube video and if you can't access it here, just go to YouTube and search the word "dressage".

Click and let your heart be filled with joy! http://beboframe.com/FlashFrame.jsp?Size=S...oxId=3309347442

--Susan biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
peter
post Apr 19 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 618

I absolutely agree. Andreas gave a fantastic performance and Matine is a marvellous horse !!

Peter

+Quote Post
C_Ma
post Apr 19 2007, 09:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 126

This is maybe the 10.000 times I watch this video, and it just keeps bringing tears to my eyes! They are simply giving an AMAZING performance!!

They were suppose to have started at the finals at the World Cup in Las Vegas this weekend, but unfortunally Matiné didnt pass the vet check. Really a shame since they both worked so hard to get this far... sad.gif

+Quote Post
Ladypurr
post Apr 19 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #4

Advanced Senior Member

Oh, that's incredibly sad to hear. I hope and pray she's not sidelined for long.

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to dressage, but I carefully noted many wonderful attributes of this mare. She was so focused and yet so free and full of enthusiasm. Every execution was perfection! Her transitions, her piaffe and passage, her fantastic pirouttes and the amazing lengthing of stride and overall smoothness just made her performance something to behold. If ever a horse and rider became "one", it was Matine' and Andreas. She truly was "dancing".

I absolutely loved Andreas' affectionate and enthusiastic hug at the conclusion of their performance!

I hope everyone takes a moment to watch this video. What these beautiful creatures can accomplish with love and expert guidance is nothing short of sensational.

I would love to see more Arabians involved in dressage for they bring to this discipline a natural brilliance that begs to be polished to perfection. They are so light and airy and naturally-gifted movers so dressage is a wonderful way to allow them to shine. It ain't half bad for the riders, either!

Few disciplines can match the beauty of two talented performers working in perfect unison in dressage!

--Susan biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Marilee
post Apr 19 2007, 11:09 PM
Post #5

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 4377

This ride was discussed on another thread, and then also compared to the lady on the bay horse, who ultimately won. The grey mare was sired by an Arabian son (warmblood sired). I'd be very interested in what Arabian blood was in there. She is very nice, and moves beautifully. Some posters did prefer the bay horse to her; I did not. I found the bay horse stiff and artificial. Some judged the grey mare's tail movement against her score. She was only 9 I believe. Some thought her too advanced for only 9. We also discussed the rollkur and if it was used on her; really seemed to show effect on the bay horse in my opinion. Anyway, when I posted before, I said how she sure showed the Arabian in her presence and energy and engagement and lightness. Thanks for reminding me of her. The rider seems very skilled to me. The rider on the bay seems more harsh and less subtle in her cues. What do you dressage lovers think, comparing these 2 rides?

+Quote Post
Al Sahrae Arabia...
post Apr 19 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2278

smile.gif

+Quote Post
chaswyckcaliph
post Apr 19 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #7

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2595

Incredibly beautiful!

Imagine the hours that must have gone into such a partnership. One can only dream and continue to strive towards a similar goal.

Magnificent.

+Quote Post
Ladypurr
post Apr 19 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #8

Advanced Senior Member

Dear Marilee,

Thank you for sharing this information. Not being involved in the dressage world anymore, I had no idea what "rollkur" meant so I investigated. Boy! Did I get an a quick education!

For those of you not familiar with this "new" and controversial training method, click here: http://www.horsemanpro.com/articles2/rollkur.htm

Reading about this makes me just so disheartened. What is different from forcing a horse into this frame for dressage and putting draw reins on a western horse and and pulling his head to his chest. Imagine the strain on the horse's back and body in general having to canter or lope in this manner?

What are we doing to these creatures?

I watched a little of Anky's performance on the bay horse and I saw a noticeable difference between her horse and Matine'. By far, Matine' portrayed a much more pleasing image. Andreas was much lighter and more imperceptable in his aids as well.

If only these dressage experts could take one--just one!--lesson from Col. Alois Podhasky! He always stressed, "...above all, be KIND to your horses."

--Susan sad.gif

+Quote Post
Ladypurr
post Apr 20 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #9

Advanced Senior Member

How could such a spell-binding dressage performance give way to such a dark and questionable training controvery? I had no idea this was taking place.

I found a letter that Walter Zettl sent to a German dressage magazine. I had the good fortune of watching this marvelous man give a brief dressage training exhibition at the WEstern States Horse Expo a few years ago. I never forgot it! Imagine a Thoroughbred, Warmblood and a cowboy and his little Quarter Horse mare all together doing basic dressage movements? It was great!

Walter Zettl is a true horseman and a fine human being!

Click to read his letter: http://www.walterzettl.net/pages/german_stgeorge.html

--Susan wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cautzar
post Apr 20 2007, 06:37 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1895

I've seen this clip several times now and I'm moved to tears EVERYTIME!

I've never seen anything like it, it's absolutly fantastic and without comparison.

She is the prove that hoses can dance.

Kind regards

Gitte ( a proud Dane )

+Quote Post
Alexa73
post Apr 20 2007, 09:46 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1496

Matine is absolutely incredible. Here 2 pictures from Wiesbaden last year. In the background you can see the scores they got for the passage!!!

Alex
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
paelmchen
post Apr 20 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #12

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 99

Matine is spectacular, but what I miss is her supplenes(relaxation), she always seems to be under to much tension.
A sign for to much tension is her tail turning around like a helicopter.

I´ve been at Aachen 2006, saw almost all of them live in the dressage arena, Matine will have a great future, but anyway the best ride I have ever seen was Isabell &Satchmo at Aachen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdP0xL2qtAM

a nearly perfect lecture.................

+Quote Post
Janina
post Apr 20 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1983

I really like this mare, because she is extremly talented, has incredible movements and presence!

BUT I agree with "paelmchen" that the performance lacks relaxation (I don´t know if there exists a better word for it). There are some parts in the performance where you can see, that it is not as "perfect" as it seems at first glance.
Beside her permanent moving tail, she shows rhythm-mistakes in walk (at all her walk is not that brilliant) and I do not at all like her "piaffe". It is more a "passage on the spot" than a true piaffe.
I dare not to judge what are the reasons for that: Maybe it´s just her age and she will improve or it is the way she was trained...
But one should not be distracted by the talent of the horse, when it is about evaluating the whole performance... (I´m astonished that the commentators obviously were rolleyes.gif )
Werth´s performance I didn´t like either. She is showing all the exercises, but her horse´s nose is all of the time behind the vertical.
Many greetings,
Janina

+Quote Post
Kathrin K.I.M.
post Apr 20 2007, 05:45 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 3937

I have to say that I don't like Isabell Werth at all. I think there are much more better riders out there but she regularly wins just because of her name. But enough of her.

I liked Matine a lot! She's marvelous! I also have to negate Janina - I think her Piaffe was good. Piaffe is defined as a trotting movement at the stand. She did it and also she did lift her hind lags really good off the ground, something other horses don't do.

Kathrin laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Marilee
post Apr 20 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #15

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 4377

The newspaper yesterday said that Anky (the rider on the bay horse on that link to youtube under the grey mare' s video) is out of competition due to the birth of her child, and that Blu Hors Mantine (the grey mare) was slightly injured in the trailer on the way to the show across town here; Was sound going one way, not going the other, so she is out of the local show, per the vet who checked her.

A poster on another website said she too was used with rollkur???I could see it in the bay, who won the last year's competition. But can you see it in the grey too?..., maybe that is the lack of relaxation and the tail movement; she is not refusing, she is just not------. So if she was used with the rollkur, I don't know, because her ride seemed pretty good-----The bay horse looked stiff and harsh (in the cues and response to them), so I could see the rollkur there, but again this is all heresay and guessing. I agree that you would think in the upper levels of the sport that if they are using shortcuts???? mad.gif Years ago when we were just starting even before we got our Egyptian Arabian stallion and were taking dressage lessons, we were told maybe one level a year in advancement and growth, barring injuries. Our horse was so athletic and smart and responsive, and we would NOT TAKE SHORTCUTS, our mentor (Than Hanchett who rode in Europe, and who taught us all we know about training and dressage since 1978) said the talent of that horse could move along faster than one level a year.

But if Mantine is only 8 or 9, and IF they used shortcuts on her to get her to that level, that is the point if she can stay sound. Most dressage horses really come into their own in their teens; look at the Lippizan horses who spend most of their youth in training with their riders, and only at maturity, years later are they shown at the higher levels. The Andalusian horses and others I have seen here in Las Vegas like at Cheval and Cavalia, ..the other breeds were younger horses shown at one point in their training, and the older horses were shown at another point in their advanced training.

That is what so concerns me when I go to a show and see all the short cuts in the horses under saddle--draw reins, tie downs, harsh bits and spurs, tight martingales. I know that all aids are only usually as severe as the rider that can uses them in a mean or abusive way, but it still sends a message to the beginner that you must use these to get that result. I will go to the Vegas show in a few hours, and will be really interested in the result obtained (in halter and in performance) at what expense to the horse. We always believed that less is more. If the rider/handler is experienced and knows their horse, and wants fewer/no injuries, there should be fewer or no shortcuts.

You are making me think again!!!! Thanks. biggrin.gif (PS--I did ask for dressage/jumping/endurance/trail as demos at the show---no answer--we'll see what I find out when I go down there. PSS--I have given maps and invitations to the show and the Egyptian meeting Saturday night to my whole class here at school and put ads for them in the newspaper. Haven't seen anything else publicity wise. A friend of mine said there was coverage (live photo shoot early this morning from the World Cup Dressage/Jumping) on tv this morning. Marilee in Las Vegas

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 12:58
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.