This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "i Would Breed Every Mare That I Have", AHA president's message--your response
Marilee
post Jun 3 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #1

Gold Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 4377

"For over a decade we have been breeding fewer...horses".

"If we are successful in creating additional demand through marketing and initiatives to encourage the use of Arabian, Half-Arabian, and Anglo-Arabian horses..."

"Our target market is going to be the largest demographic population in history--the soon retiring Baby Boomers".

"I would breed every mare that I have" is the AHA president's advice.

Is he putting the "cart before the horse" or wanting more horses out there "if we are successful in marketing and initiatives"? He also mentions the problem of people not registering or transfering their horses.

I have my opinion. What is yours? cool.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Jun 3 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #2

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

I think the market had D#^@n well better be there BRFORE we breed every mare we have. All you need to do is look at all the sales ads and see all the wonderful horses that are NOT moving, to know that THAT particular cart is not even hooked up yet !!!!!
Cathy

+Quote Post
caszan2
post Jun 3 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5663

Well, I rest my case on Marketing...to Baby Boomers.

"Breed every mare that I have"....
That is such a great plan mad.gif

Oh, that plan is working so well for all the other breeds. Hum, why did we not think of that first?

Does anyone want to see the "FREE" horse list I have currently that I am trying to find homes for? Would anyone like to guess the breeds, how many of each? Only a few have not been trained. Only one has issues.

No, your plan Mr. President will only feed the over bred dog and cat populations and European palets that think Horse meat is a "nice dinner out"...

Now will everyone wake up and smell the manure?

I'm going to be sick now..

Caszan

+Quote Post
HLM
post Jun 3 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #4

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 192

Is that right!!!!!

How about firstly producing horses which are breeding stock, functional ones. surely we dont wont our baby boomers sitting on 2legged horses, or? they might be on a fixed income and could not afford the veterinarian charges, which could become consistent.

Mind you, if they are smart, they go to our smaller breeders and to start out.We should have enought to go around.They are the ones who still produce a functional arabian horse, they have pride, they have honor, they walk tall!!!

How about first using what we got, test the market and then decide.
Already we are floated with UNSUABLE stallions, meaning not under saddle, not tested, telling us nothing, just looking pretty and the only exercise they get is in the breeding shed..

Tell that president to lead the way, then give us a report.Give us statistics, dont just go hay-wire recommending something without accurate accounting, numbers, places, results!!!

Months ago I e-mailed the man regarding deletion of large portion of the pedigrees in his database.NO REPLY.Is this the man we want to trust with his recommendations? I dont think he knows what he is talking about.Tell him to give us accurate data and we will consider it.

That's my opinon, what is yours,.

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
BaileyArabians
post Jun 3 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3603

He should go ahead and breed every mare that he has and let us know how that works out for him exactly.

Kathy

p.s. I left out the name calling, but it was my intent.

+Quote Post
Nancy Bourque/Ib...
post Jun 3 2007, 08:20 PM
Post #6

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 425

I agree with Kathy. When he breeds all his mares, foals them out, raises the foals, pays the trainer, finds sales for them and can add up the figures and show that he covered all his expenses, or even part of them, then I would be interested in hearing how he did it dry.gif

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post Jun 3 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #7

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 249

Apparently he doesn't do his homework.

The "Baby Boomers" as he calls them are dieing out due to old age and as Hansi mentioned, if they are not doing that they are at a point in their life where they have come into a fixed income, not coming into an age where they are going to throw money away on a horse!

+Quote Post
caszan2
post Jun 3 2007, 09:30 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5663

Dear Hansi and McKulley1
You are both correct that many of the "Baby Boomers" are reaching retirement age, however "The End of the Baby Boomer Age Range is 1963"...I fit into that years group..so how many years do those people have before the official retirement age? I've got 23 years of Horsey fun left.. tongue.gif

What will breeding from non-line bred, HALTER Only horses do to the SE breed by 2030??? Please, what is everyone predicting for the SE breed, 10 years, 20 years from now?

How many years before we all face what breeding decions are made now? Staring SE's in their BEAUTIFUL FACE..wishing they could ride because Fuel is impossible to afford for the SBSP (if any still exist) and you really need a sound SE horse team to pull you..where ever! (I'm interjecting humor, but what if life was really like that by 2030?)

That is my basis for "marketing to Baby Boomers" The Health & Health food industries are gearing up for my age group now (Health Food: predicted to be a $20 billion dollar industry, by 2030). Everyone born in 1963 will be 65 years old.

That is your target market..the next 23 years serving the needs of "old" and "young" alike..!!! Better stop random breeding without sound reasoning and get what you have under-saddle now and everything you want to breed from thsi point on. Teach, the young that SE horses do in fact ride!! We the SBSP will educate the young, mentor new breeders! AND fix what is wrong now so that there is a future.

Caszan2

+Quote Post
LMG
post Jun 3 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #9

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2551

Ah, another fellow who may be able to find a position with FEMA. Our industry is so blessed.

LMG (aka LMGG)

+Quote Post
anitae
post Jun 3 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #10

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1964

QUOTE (Marilee @ Jun 3 2007, 07:14 PM)
"For over a decade we have been breeding fewer...horses".
... cool.gif

Well, actually, its been two decades. Registrations peaked in 1985 at 29,999 according to the records on DataSource. Maybe we only started to wake up a decade ago. Of course, initially we wrote off the decline to the crash from the change in the tax law, and many people felt this was a good thing (fewer horses bred for tax reasons instead of "good using horses"). But we somehow forgot to focus on breeding for and maintaining a healthy gene pool and a decent market.

Anita

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post Jun 3 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #11

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 249

Here's the clue I will buy for him.

If we are breeding FEWER horses and our horses are STILL selling for pennies on the dollar THEN WHY ON EARTH SHOULD WE BREED MORE HORSES???????

+Quote Post
tkr9
post Jun 3 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #12

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1900

Arabians do not sell, so people breed less. AHA's president's idea, breed more.

Right... huh.gif Must have missed that economics module on reverse logic at uni...

My annual message to him - Prove they are good all rounders then the demand and price will increase. Then breed more. It's not rocket science, duckie...

Has anyone a brick wall I can repeatedly knock my head against?

+Quote Post
Bandit
post Jun 3 2007, 11:01 PM
Post #13

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 4114

QUOTE (BaileyArabians @ Jun 3 2007, 01:35 PM)
He should go ahead and breed every mare that he has and let us know how that works out for him exactly.

Kathy

p.s. I left out the name calling, but it was my intent.

My thoughts exactly.

Also LMG has it right too.

Ah, another fellow who may be able to find a position with FEMA. Our industry is so blessed.

Breed every mare, yea right.

Two possibilites for his words come to mind here;

1.Hes got himself a job on the side working for either the dog food companies or the European restaurant industry and is trying to get alot of meat even cheaper than its going for now to sell to them himself.

2. He could be on some sort of drug and is hallucinating. smile.gif

+Quote Post
windamere
post Jun 4 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #14

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1464

If you look even casually at this statement in view of the condition of the market, the absurdity is striking. However, from the point of view of the Prez, it makes perfect sense. He is in the position of promoting registrations of new foals. I doubt he cares what happens to them much beyond that registration.

I'm not heeding his advice till he does so himself and reports spectacular success.
Sharon

+Quote Post
Liz Salmon
post Jun 4 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #15

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 94

To my mind it's down right irresponsible !! Breeders are having enough problems selling their existing foals without adding more.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 18:58
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.