This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "i Would Breed Every Mare That I Have", AHA president's message--your response
RobinW
post Jun 14 2007, 08:34 AM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 6485

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site so I am reading through the threads and getting to know people a bit. Some of you I have already met, others I have not and I look forward to future discussion, laughs and tears with you all.

The president of AHA could not have been any more irresponsible making a statement like that . Does the AHA not look at the market of the Arabian Horse and that registration numbers are way down in the last 5 years? If they did I would think they would ask why and do serious investigation into that question by speaking with the owners.

In my opinion, the ONLY way to better the breed as a whole and stop the inferior confirmation seen winning in halter classes today (whether SE, Polish, CMK, etc with CORRECT COMFIRMATION is to breed ONLY mares and stallions with correct confirmation, good temperment and etc. Stallion owners must learn to say no. I know it is difficult to turn down a stud fee that would go a long way to help with the feed bill because I have done myself. But I do not want my stallion breeding a mare with major confirmation faults. Dont get me wrong... Im not saying ALL horses in halter classes have lousy confirmation but I am seeing a lot of horses winning classes that do. I once asked a judge if he needed to borrow my glasses because he most certainly must have forgotten his... People need to geld colts with crooked legs, small hooves, small hip, straight shoulder, table top flat croups, and etc. The same with mares... simply, do not breed them. This may seem like a drastic solution but that is the only way I can see to stop it and produce horses that are athletes with the type the breed was bred for in the first place and as they were intended to be.

As we all know, feed prices have sky rocketed over the last 3 years, hay farmers are plowing their hay fields with 4+ good years left of production to plant corn for Bio Diesel in which they will yield at least $140.00 per ton. They will never see that from hay production so really I can not blame them for wanting a better living like we all do. Also, in my state farmers have sold large ranches to developers who split the property into 5, 10, and some 20 acre parsels. Quality hay is going to be even more difficult to find in my area anyway. Much of the quality alfalfa and timothy over the last 10 to 15 years has been chopped, bailed into compressed bails, sold and shipped ship to Japan.

Horse rescue missions and feed lots are full and over flowing with horses that people can no longer afford to feed. This includes mares with foals, to senior horses of every breed. I just cant look any more because it makes me want to hook up the truck and trailer and go get the Arabians and nice TB's out of there. Recently a elderly early 30's y/o Thoroughbred stallion was brought to a feed lot in Texas. The owner of the feed lot took a good look at the horse, discovered he had a lip tattoo, checked the number with the Thoroughbred Jockey Club and discovered he was a 1/2 brother to Secretariat through the dam line. He put the horse up for auction on line and there was 1 bid for $200.00 from a gal who rescues horses. She picked up the horse and today he has a home at a retirement farm in California. This is one success story for one horse.

If Arabian Horse breeders in fact do irresponsibily participate in "breeding every mare we have" there will be an exponentially larger problem with unwanted, starving horses in the feed lots and rescue missions. And, there will be a larger problem with "nilly willy" breeding instead of careful, thoughtful research that should go into breeding any horse no matter what breed to pass on superior trates of the breed as a whole.

The Arabian horse as a breed is having enough problem today and promotion is difficult. As I have seen in this thread, it is very hard to sell horses everywhere right now let alone give one away as I have also experienced. Most small breeders do not have unlimited funds for breeding and the expense that goes along with mare care and if you are like I am I choose the best stallion for 1 or 2 mares every other or every third year.

My breeding program is focused on racing and has been since 1995.
I do not show class A any more and have not since 1993 for many, many reasons. However, I occasionally take 1 or 2 horses to small local shows where people have easy assess to me and my Arabian Horses so they can SEE that my horses are level headed with great temperment, intelligent, affectionate, have superior confirmation and can show in english, westen, halter, native costume, trail, jump and etc, etc.
A few years ago at a local show a 2 year old little girl broke away from her parents and attached herself to my stallions' left front leg yelling Horsey Horsey at the top of her little lungs!! He was tied to the trailer eating hay and there were quite a few people at the trailer looking at him and talking to me. The stallion stood like a statue and simply looked down at her, a bit suprised to have an attachment on his leg but just said ok... no biggie. People gasped and quickly realized the stallion was not going to "freak out" like they expected him to. That was the best promotion of the Arabian horse that could have happened that day besides people seeing that Arabians are a all around horse and has the ability to do much much more than standing up at halter.

Just my 2 cents worth... ummm maybe 50 cents.. biggrin.gif Georgia.. can I still have that $25.00 membership? cool.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kimberli Nelson
post Jun 14 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #77

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 41

Personally, I am appalled that our AHA President should think we, as owners and breeders, are so stupid that we would add our own problem. Sales are down for the average breeder. Many have not bred a horse in years. Nobody is beating down doors for quality geldings. And AHA thinks we should breed every mare on the place? We need good marketing from our leaders, a long term plan for building a desire to own the most wonderful family horse in the world. We need good fair judging in our shows. We need education on the basics, like conformation and horse care. But what do we get instead? We and AHA have a long way yo go.

+Quote Post
Aimbri
post Jun 14 2007, 03:51 PM
Post #78

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2242

Kimberli and Robin,

The SADDEST part about this, is that there are some breeders who are either just starting out, or are still in the building phase who are BELIEVING this (because they WANT to) and ARE planning to breed every mare, or almost every mare they own. I have tried to speak to two seperate farms about this very issue and got somewhat blasted by one and completely blasted by another. They simply DO NOT want to hear about what the REAL state of the economy is, and somehow are naive enough to believe that THEY will be the ones who will be selling all over the world. BTW neither one of them has ever sold a SE horse, but THAT doesn't stop them. They are supposedly getting inquires from around the globe!

My webmaster tells me that my website gets hits from around the globe, thousands a month, I get e-mails and even phonecalls from the ME, Europe and Australia, as well as several from North America. Interest in one's horses does NOT equate to sales of those horses. Someone once mentioned that the statistics are that of every 100 inquiries, you will get 10 people who are truly interested, and of those ten one MIGHT buy. So, how does one convey these things to those who are just starting out or expanding, or do we just sit back and say "I tried" and c'est la vie????

I have decided, no more free advice for those who don't want to hear it. They ask for an honest opinion of their horses and their program, but they really don't want an HONEST opinion, they want you to tell them what a fabulous job that they are doing, and that they are the next big breeder to emerge from the pack. Sorry, I just can't tell them that many lies!

Jeannette

+Quote Post
gadonatella
post Jun 14 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #79

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2883

I don't blame you Jeannette.. people want to 'dream' like this President of AHA and not see reality.

I was just offered a 'free' arab mare at the feed store this morning.. I was buying a fly mask and the girl that worked there asked if I wanted another one. I thought she meant another mask and said no- only one horse needs a new one.. She said no I was talking about an arab mare- do you want her? She said she had bred her hoping for a buckskin and got a plain brown colt so was giving both away.. ugggg That tells ya where the market is !! I've also read of people just turning their horses loose on highways because of the drought in the south, I guess they are hoping people will pick them up.

Hopefully responsible breeders will not heed this ridiculous advise and breed anything they have...

Sandy

+Quote Post
LMG
post Jun 14 2007, 07:54 PM
Post #80

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2551

I already wrote to him and got a response. I recommended that he read the thread on this forum and on others. I chided him on the that which I felt was irresponsible, when one of the reasons people don't register their foals, is due to the cost of such.

I pointed out to him that the GNP was touted be around 3.6 percent, in this country, and then on Friday night, following the government's waving this wonderful economic news, they quietly announced that it was actually only a bit over 1 per cent. Therefore, did he actually think there were all those discretionary dollars available for horses, etc.

I also commented that telling people, who are working just to feed this horses, about his trip to Brazil may have been a bit much.

In his response and defense he stated that these were judging jobs. I will go judge horses in Brazil at a minutes notice also, but as long as AHA money was not paying for the trip, then that is a plus on his part.

He and some of his advisors are still stuck on point system paybacks as a way forward. I then responded that I just looked at an AHA approved show, and the show people had added a charge for everything they could think of, with the exception for charging for a stallion's family jewels, but I'm sure that would be next and where did he think those who cannot afford registration are going to come up with show money to hope to get some money back from the money they paid to participate in the point system.

I've heard nothing, and do not think I will. I think the only way the rank and file will be heard, is to become members of an AHA club, and try to become active in the AHA, itself. This will not work if we have only one person here and one person there, but a conscientous and committed group of ordinary small breeders need to organize and go forward rather, than as always leaving it to the top of the heap.

LMG

+Quote Post
arabrider57
post Jun 15 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #81

Member No.: 3230

LMG,

I applaud your effort. As for joining and taking over the AHA from the grassroots level, it is kind of like working feverishly to take over a Corviar factory. (I know I show my age so for the uninnitiated the Corvair was the car deemed unsafe at any speed in the late 60's) blink.gif

I had considered this option but you cannot force opinions or changes up the ladder due to the overwhelming buracracy. Starting from scratch becoming successful and making a takover bid is more the American way.
Just a short rant of my opinion today.

Thanks for making the call, and championing our thoughts we all share the same goal just through oppossing means.

Mark
Windward Farm

+Quote Post
Georgia
post Jun 16 2007, 03:48 AM
Post #82

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2334

Corvair's were unsafe??? and I'm still here?!?!?!? ph34r.gif biggrin.gif

Way to go Lorriee, if he ever does call or write ..will you ask him what their findings were when they studied the QH breeds success? Let's see, How much money did they spend doing that?? I see reining and cow working QH's being on Baby Boomers list too! blink.gif They are blasting off. mad.gif

The other night on RFDTV, there was an Retirement investment firm commercial. With a Grandpa leading a horse (a QH or course) with his little grandson on the horse. Our thoughts of going after kids and baby boomers support of their kids and grandkids wholesome horse activities and something whole families do together, is what they are after.

Robin, no points on other threads are given out! tongue.gif

I sort of don't agree on the conformation and leaving out mares with problems, heck every horse has problems, .... as I've seen some nice horses come from such, with study and good choices. (now when your talking defect, like club feet.. that's a different story).
I had a mare many moons ago, that was beautiful and very nice herself, I did not like her first foal.
So, when I got my stallion there was no way I was breeding her to him. I would find other mares, well the money and space didn't come for other mares, so 2 years latter I broke down and bred her to my boy. Youza, what a beauty! I also bred the ugliest endurance mare I'd ever seen, the foal was a prettier and nicer than her dam and no one could catch her her first year racing! I also, had a race mare that broke a sesimoid racing, I bred her.. her first filly broke a sesimoid in training.. I never bred her again. So, all is relative.

Georgia

+Quote Post
LMG
post Jun 16 2007, 02:47 PM
Post #83

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2551

I think my e-mails were spitting in the wind, but, as they say, "The Squeaky Wheel, etc." I do know from experience, when in practice, that the client who called a million times a week, sent letters and camped outside the door, got our personal attention, if for no other reason, just to see the back ouf them.

So perhaps, e-mail campaigns, (such as those as highly organized single interest voters send to their representatilvies and congressmen) by many individuals would have a greater impact then one e-mail here and there.

Speaking of ugly, at least in horses. The ugliest that horse I ever had, was beautifully bred, but was so homely that her foals cried when they were born in despair that they might look like their mother. But, she was an exceptional endurance horse - so beauty is as beauty does.

LMG

+Quote Post
Echo1
post Jun 16 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #84

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 394

Sounds like a money problem to me. Breed all your mares, our numbers will go up, and then we can bring in some investors or sponsors.
Does anyone remember when members were complaining that the economy was bad and we asked AHA to help work with us? Seems they are finally feeling the crunch.

+Quote Post
Ladypurr
post Jun 19 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #85

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 118

Dear Jeannette,

Wise words. But, as you so eloquently stated, people only hear what they want to hear and I've yet to meet anyone who took good advice and actually acted upon it.

--Susan wink.gif

+Quote Post
Liz Allen
post Jun 24 2007, 08:25 AM
Post #86

Member No.: 3583

QUOTE (Liz Salmon @ Jun 4 2007, 01:24 AM)
To my mind it's down right irresponsible !!  Breeders are having enough problems selling their existing foals without adding more.

Here here Liz Salmon, I agree totally. I have known of horses to starve due to such irresponsibility. I am breeding my second foal after nearly 7 years! Quality not quantity!

JMHO

Liz

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 12:12
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.