This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> El Masri Horse Index
bterlaan
post Mar 26 2003, 02:57 PM
Post #1

Gold Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 28

In an attempt to check out the much valued El Masri horse index, I did not find the site on the server anymore. Is this a temporary problem, or is this extremely valuable and informative site really out of the air? Does anybody know? Julia, where are you?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ema
post Mar 26 2003, 04:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15

Here I am... I just got an email from another friend about that... It DOES show up on my computer.... email me!!

Julia

+Quote Post
bterlaan
post Mar 27 2003, 09:43 AM
Post #3

Gold Member
Group Icon

Glad to see you Julia! Perhaps it is this bl.... old computer system here again, but I cannot understand why one day it works and the next day it doesn't anymore. I am not aware of anything having been changed. I'll give it a try at home, where I have a modern system. I also had a problem here with the Ansata quiz, where a link was corrupted, but at home everything was OK. Wel,, i can't complain: one should not pay privatesite visits when at work rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
bterlaan
post Mar 27 2003, 10:11 AM
Post #4

Gold Member
Group Icon

Hi Julia! I just got the message form a friend of mine that she can't get your index either. She has a modern system. So apparently there is more going on than just my old computer. I live in Germany, my friend in the Netherlands. Perhaps it is only accessible forn the US? Does anybody here on the forum have similar problems?

+Quote Post
bterlaan
post Mar 27 2003, 10:17 AM
Post #5

Gold Member
Group Icon

Julia, when I tried www.elmasri.com, I got this:

"Warning: Host '' is blocked because of many connection errors. Unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'
in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/dr_misc_functions.php on line 10

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Host '' is blocked because of many connection errors. Unblock
with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts' in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/dr_misc_functions.php on line 10
Could not connect"

It is gibberish to me. Can someone with computer knowledge help us? Aleksi?

+Quote Post
ema
post Mar 27 2003, 12:38 PM
Post #6

Hi!

unsure.gif I stopped hubby yesterday from all his stuff and said "Pull up my site, quick!!!" No one can find it!! Was just about ready to call my hosting company and read them the riot act or something equally as interesting... but before I did that, I figured I had better check some more... I think I have finally it figured out.

Because it has grown to over 3000 pages (most of it reference material) I had to change stuff, and have put much of it in to folders, so some of the old addresses to the pages have changed... At least this way I can keep growing a while before I have to learn how to do a database driven site...lol.

So, if you have the link... just go to the main site and forward from there... and it is not dot com, it is dot net. I do not want to post the link here in deference to the site rules here, so just email me folks, if it is messed up for you, and I will help you get there again.

Site is fine, and online... just has a few address issues smile.gif And thank you loyal readers for being interested so that this small work I have begun is useful.

Just as a side note... I have added the Raswan Index to my library, and probably several other books as well since my library list has been updated. I love doing the pages, and I hope you will all enjoy them for a long time to come smile.gif

Julia

+Quote Post
bterlaan
post Mar 27 2003, 01:12 PM
Post #7

Gold Member
Group Icon

Thanks Julia! The question is, how commercial is your site? Probably parts of it are, but the part I am most interested in I would not consider as being commercial: it is veeeery informative, without any valuation of the horses, just a description of as many relevant facts as you know.Pedigree, date of birth, picture, stuff like that. And most of the horses are historical and/or don't belong to you.

Anyway, my problem has been solved by inserting "miscellaneous/" between ".net" and "horseindex.htm" in my bookmark. Thank you very much for your help!

+Quote Post
ema
post Mar 27 2003, 01:19 PM
Post #8

Actually, it is not very commercial at all... the only sales page on it just says horses may be for sale via private treaty... but I do try to err on the side of caution with regard to site rules, not just here, but everywhere I post! There are some pictures on my own horses...

The whole project actually began because I wanted to trace the pedigree of my mare, Imajaz, back to the desert. It was such fun I just kept on going smile.gif Then I started adding books and more horses and a little fun project has turned into a huge undertaking... but I love it, and love doing it!

I add often, but even more often check and recheck pedigrees to try to be sure everything is right... If you, or friends, see mistakes or questionable items... please email me and let me know! I DO go back and recheck stuff when I get mail like that, and I appreciate the "heads up"!

Julia the pedigree buff wink.gif

+Quote Post
bterlaan
post Mar 27 2003, 02:02 PM
Post #9

Gold Member
Group Icon

Exactly, just like many of us: you show your horses, full of pride and joy because of their beauty, and you want everybody to joy(n) in. Because you cannot keep every horse you breed, though you'd want to, you have to sell and you just state so. I don't consider that commercial. The way you describe how you started this is also the way I followed more or less: I happened to fall in love with an SE mare, which I then bought.Of course, having a mare, you think of breeding, so you start studying pedigrees, buying books, going to shows, looking at horses, and, once started, you just never stop. I try to assemble as many pictures of SEs as I can and try to archive them so that I can retrieve them. I started using the new photoshop album program for that and am happy with it. I also use the Hawkeye pedigree program for my own private database, which I fill in with the info obtained eg from you, and others o the net, and the Ahra database. I'll be happy to point out any possibilities fror improvement to you, as I do with Ahra, but I am an absolute beginner compared to you, so ....
Our hobby is so time and money consuming, it is just like an addiction. But much more healthy!

Keep on doing your great work Julia! As you see, it is much appreciated.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 02:57
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.