This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> National Show Participation In Your Country?
mckulley1
post Aug 27 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Gold Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 249

I have been told it is only about 2-3% of the USA Arabian horse owners who show at the class A and National level. That is such a small percentage....primarily the rest of the population doing home, trail, and open show activities.

I am curious to find out what the percentages are for other countries? Are we about the same as everyone else? Or is there a lesser or more active participation in showing around the world?

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aliaalhussein
post Aug 28 2007, 11:35 AM
Post #2

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 21

I think 99 per cent of the Arabian owners here show as well, but most also do endurance and some unofficial racing and some do showjumping with them also-oh yes,and tent pegging of course!

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post Aug 28 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #3

Gold Member
Group Icon

WOW, 99% show in a rated class in your country! Now that is impressive. What is it that attracts them to showing? By finding out how other countries are more successful with getting their Arabian horse owners into the showring.....perhaps we can improve our own?

+Quote Post
Liz Salmon
post Aug 28 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #4

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 94

The National show in Jordan that I judged not only had good sized classes, but good quality too.

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post Aug 28 2007, 03:44 PM
Post #5

Gold Member
Group Icon

Yes, but what are these other countries doing to get such high percentage of arabian horse owners to show that we (USA) are not doing?

+Quote Post
Liz Salmon
post Aug 28 2007, 04:28 PM
Post #6

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 94

It's probably cheaper and less political. Most of the judging uses the European scoring system.

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post Aug 28 2007, 04:46 PM
Post #7

Gold Member
Group Icon

Now there is a good point?

Would anyone like to volunteer how much they spend for one horse in a Halter class at one rated show in their country?

+Quote Post
AAArabians
post Aug 28 2007, 05:07 PM
Post #8

Advanced Senior Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2446

Mc Cully,

I believe that the Egyptian Event USA would be far more
of a comparable to other countries national shows.
JFYI our Futurity class at the Egyptian Event consisted of 54
fillies! I have been to the class A shows in Texas
and saw the futurity class had 3 colts???
I am not sure were our open shows have gone wrong!
Maybe we should format our open shows after the Egyptian Event!
Also other countries do not have half arabians filling half their classes!!!

KR
Candi

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post Aug 28 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #9

Gold Member
Group Icon

That is very true though I'm not trying to compare WHAT is in the classes. I'm trying to compare the apples to apples of a rated Halter class for purebred HERE vs THERE.

I have to say, I am very disappointed in the reply to this thread. Is it a secret what other countries do????

+Quote Post
elsbetha
post Aug 29 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1579

Well here in sweden the numbers are steadily decreasing - 68 horses came forward this year, an alltime low.
In Poland it was the biggest nationals ever, 160 horses listed in the catalogue - on one day. It finished at 11 p.m.! For the first time ever they had colt classes so the first ever genuine national champion colt was judged - in pouring rain I might add!
I heard that at the national show in Norway 20 horses were judged!
Please someone from Norway confirm that this was true - it seems ubelievable!.

+Quote Post
aliaalhussein
post Aug 29 2007, 08:36 PM
Post #11

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 21

I think here its that very few breeders are overly concerned with winning- they LOVE to of course but are interested in each others horses and dont get upset when others do well, and we DO try hard to have judges who are not political, and ask them to really look at the horse and not the "Production", as far as possible. Also its a chance to get together and "have a go", so even horses NOT in normal "Show conditiopn", come,and small studs often do very well. Perhaps being a smaller community (we are a small countyr!) helps.Its a nice time to sit and talk horses and watch horses etc...lots of owners children show for their stables, and that makes it more personal and maybe less cutthroat?

+Quote Post
Marilee
post Aug 29 2007, 09:27 PM
Post #12

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 4377

I love the last response. Also cheaper and less political is a great answer.

I think many people look at show results with mixed emotions. It is expensive, and can be potentially harmful to the horse. Some people want a win at any price, as if that justifies the worth of an animal. The + and / after some horses'' names are correlated to the money and time the owner has to haul that horse all over to show them under multiple judges or maybe multiple disciplines. A great horse might be a show winner, but a show winner is not always the best representative of his/her breed or the best trained or best mover that day for that judge.

So I find it encouraging that there are many out there who are interested in show results, but not obsessed with them, and are not driven to breed to a horse solely for show record, but for the value as a breeding animal or to improve breed characteristics or complement their mare/stallion. Would you take a valuable horse far away to show them for limited return or no return? It does not guarantee success or more money or more breedings. There are many show champions who I would not own or breed to. So to each his own. I think more education and more grass roots promotion in a non-showing environment is the key to helping our Arabians. Showing in open or breed events is but a small part of that.

+Quote Post
TommyH
post Aug 29 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 129

It's correct there was only some 20 horses on our National show this year. Of course it's an extremly low number but there is a reason.

The"national" show is a rather new invention as we have a larger International B-Show as well every year (had for quite some years) with good size classes. We have appr. 700 arabians in Norway and usually have appr. 70 horses from Norway in the show plus 30-40 from other countries wich together makes a good number.
Most of the owners does however several performance disiplines with their horses and only a handful of horses in our country are "showhorses" alone.

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post Aug 30 2007, 12:44 AM
Post #14

Gold Member
Group Icon

Thank you for taking this in a great direction!

So, for Norway they have about a 10% turnout....about how much do you think it costs someone to go to this bigger B show with one horse?

I love the discussion regarding Jordan....I wish OUR shows were like a great big barbecue get together!

+Quote Post
diane
post Aug 30 2007, 03:53 AM
Post #15

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 117

The AHSA suggests that for the Australian Arabian Championships (ownership exhibiting an Arabian (purebred / derivative)), one of the top class shows and the only one run by the AHSA, is approx. 13%

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 08:13
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.