This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who Can Tell Me How To Braid An Arabian Halter?
Dagmar
post Sep 11 2007, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5181

Hi there!

I would like to know which braiding technique is originally used for those woollen arabian halters. Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks and cheers,
Dagmar
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Sep 11 2007, 02:43 PM
Post #2

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

Hi Dagmar
I spent al lot of time , and wasted a lot of wool, trying to figure that out myself, but finally did it. It is an eight strand braid, four strands coming from each side. The problem I have encountered is finding wool that is thick enough to work properly.Synthetic yarns don't seem to work (too stretchy) I finally found a lady who spins her own, and got her to do some for me, but that got REALLY expensive.
Cathy

+Quote Post
Dagmar
post Sep 11 2007, 03:06 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Would you tell me how to do the braiding?

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Sep 11 2007, 03:15 PM
Post #4

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

I am not sure I can without some sort of diagram.....will see what I can find. Meantime, if Gina reads this, she may be able to explain far better than I can.....
Cathy

+Quote Post
ArabianFancy
post Sep 11 2007, 03:52 PM
Post #5

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1232

Nope, I don't braid mine. I can't do more than a simple braid, sorry!! I am better at beading , than braiding. The real work in my halters is the hand stitchwork, 1000's of hand stitches.
Gina

+Quote Post
Ladypurr
post Sep 11 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #6

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 118

Hi Dagmar,

There are books available from most of the major "on-line" book sellers that show you how to braid leather, rawhide, horsehair etc. Once you learn the mechanics of braiding, it doesn't matter what material you might use.

Remember, people who do this for a living often had to teach themselves and may not be overly enthused about sharing their secrets.

HItched horse-hair in particular is a lost art and when well done, commands very high prices.

Good luck!

--Susan smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kikihalters
post Sep 11 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4990

Hi,
I am affraid I can't help either, although I braid with twelve cords it is a flat braid, the woolen ones are quite thick and I am sure they are more of a round braid. I would have thought that there was quite alot of braids though, but I could be wrong.
Donna

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dagmar
post Sep 12 2007, 06:36 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ladypurr @ Sep 11 2007, 09:37 PM)
Remember, people who do this for a living often had to teach themselves and may not be overly enthused about sharing their secrets. 

Susan, I certainly agree in one point. I have knitted lots of Icelandic pullovers and know how hard it is to get good money for such comparably hard work. But on the other hand I think: I can't afford such a halter, so I'd rather try and do it myself, risking that it doesn't look sooo good, but I'd never buy one. I also know that there aren't too many people who would even try to do it themselves, two left hands and so. Otherwise nothing handmade would sell, because there are books about everything and everybody could produce their own stuff ;-)

So if anyone knows how the braids are done, nothing more, just the braids, PLEASE help me, PM or email will do, so you won't share your secrets with all of us and if asked to, I keep everything for myself smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nancy Bourque/Ib...
post Sep 14 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #9

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 425

It seems to me that it is a type of Macrame that is used in those halters. I've looked at several. The ones I saw were thick but basically flat and looked like a number of strands with beads/shells braided in with the strands. Not really hard, I would think, for someone who is used to fibre arts.Tthe ones I saw were definitely made of wool and not a synthetic. I have a book on Macrame somewhere that shows all the different braiding methods. I am pretty sure that one of those techniques could be adapted to make these halters.The big thing, I would think, would be finding out where to get the hardware, such as the nose pieces that are used. I've been thinking for a while that I would like to make one biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Avalondales Egyp...
post Sep 15 2007, 03:25 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3641

Hi all,

The nose pieces probably can be ordered from Gina... Or I have seen them on Ebay... I have a woman here in the next town over that has a woolen mill she is hopefully soon going to show me the whole process.. Cardiing, Spinning, and hopefully I will get it.. She gave me a bobbin to hand spin some wool and if that wasn't a mess... I like learning the old ARTS won't be long before nobody knows have to do anything by hand... I just had more patience when I was younger... OH and YES, natural wool is not cheap... Tracy

+Quote Post
ArabianFancy
post Sep 15 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #11

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1232

I do have the heavy nosechains available most of the time. I have some very fancy ones in from Egypt right now too!
Beware of some of the ones on ebay. Some of them are VERY light and will turn pretty quickly. It is hard to tell the difference from the photos!
Gina

+Quote Post
Andrea098
post Nov 11 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #12

Group: New Member
Member No.: 40197

I think i discovered it! biggrin.gif but before i tell you how to do it, i must try make whole halter by myslef wink.gif.

+Quote Post
Razgold
post Nov 12 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #13

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2073

QUOTE (Nancy Bourque/Ibriz Arabians @ Sep 14 2007, 10:52 PM) *
It seems to me that it is a type of Macrame that is used in those halters. I've looked at several. The ones I saw were thick but basically flat and looked like a number of strands with beads/shells braided in with the strands. Not really hard, I would think, for someone who is used to fibre arts.Tthe ones I saw were definitely made of wool and not a synthetic. I have a book on Macrame somewhere that shows all the different braiding methods. I am pretty sure that one of those techniques could be adapted to make these halters.The big thing, I would think, would be finding out where to get the hardware, such as the nose pieces that are used. I've been thinking for a while that I would like to make one biggrin.gif

does anyone know where to buy the hardware from esp. the rings?

Sue

+Quote Post
Andrea098
post Nov 13 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #14

sorry, but it doesn't seem to me like a Macrame :/, but it's just my mind
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Andrea098
post Nov 13 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #15

sorry, but it doesn't seem to me like a Macrame :/, but it's just my mind
Attached Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2014 - 13:57
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.