This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cresty Problems.
Coral Wings
post Dec 5 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7249

My little welsh x mare has a huge crest that I am unable to get rid of. I have heard that there is a rug that you can use to sweat the crest away, has anyone ever used of heard of these rugs? Also, does anyone have anyother advice as to how to get rid of the crest??

Thanx in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Dec 5 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #2

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

I have done a bit of resaerch on this subject, since I have a mare who is insulin resistant, and although she is not, and has never been, overweight, she has at times, been rather cresty. Quite by accident, I discovered that it was related to the sugar content in the hay. In a dry year, grass goes into shiock and stores sugar, much like our bodies store fat when we go on a crash diet. If you soak the hay, and I don't mean just wet it, but, put it in a net and totally submerge it, for at least 20 minutes, then hang it for the water to drain out before you feed it, this will remove a lot of the sugar.
If you PM me with your email address, I will send you some information on this subject.
Cathy

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post Dec 5 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #3

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 249

How old is she?

It could be cushings or insulin resistance, especially depending on age. How old is the mare?

+Quote Post
Guest_SEArabians_*
post Dec 5 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #4

Guests

This could be a low thyroid problem. Have her thyroid checked with a simple blood test. If it is low, or low normal, we put them on Thyro-L.
It is an inexpensive way to treat the problem.

+Quote Post
Coral Wings
post Dec 5 2007, 07:42 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7249

This mare is only 12.

+Quote Post
lynnbrook
post Dec 5 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #6

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1468

Corral Wings
For updated information about Cushing (aka Pituitary Pars Intermedia Dysfunction) go to http://www.thehorse.com/ and click Register Now for FREE access to all 10,900+ articles . Check out Article #1595 Cushing's Disease And Laminitis-- Not Just For Old Horses as it has photos .

Also check out Article 8963 Equine Metabolic Syndrome Versus Cushing's Syndrome

Does your pony have fat deposits above her eyes ?

Donna

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Dec 5 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #7

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

Info has been sent.
Actually, insulin resistance and cushings, are being seen in increasingly younger horses, and according to some research, it can be directly linked to our "over feeding" practices. We think we are being good to them when we are, in reality, causing them a lot of problems.
Cathy

+Quote Post
lynnbrook
post Dec 5 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #8

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1468

Our 10 yr old purebred arabian gelding has either the start of Cushings or EMS
He has the cresty, neck, fat deposts above the eyes, fat deposits in the sheath & has one light bout of founder.

From now on we monitor what he eats, his excircse & turn out time on grass which is limited to 2 hrs or less per day. This horse doens't mind living in a stall .

Donna

+Quote Post
anitae
post Dec 5 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #9

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1964

There is also good research that supplementing feed with 6-10 grams of Magnesium helps the horses metabolise the sugars and reduces the crest. I did this with a mare when she was only 9 - but had been cresty even though not particularly overweight. After about 45 days, there was a noticeable reduction in the crest and the little fat pads and has continued (and I continue to give her an extra 4 g per day of Magnesium) - the chelated version works better than the magnesium oxide, but both will work, and its not expensive.

Anita

+Quote Post
Cassiosum Acres ...
post Dec 5 2007, 09:41 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2556

Could be a thyroid problem have a blood test run! I have a mare with that and she recently foundered on me too....big cresty neck, very obese etc....We are finally getting the weight off slowly it does take awhile and now with the lameness it is even harder to do. She is on meds and a strict diet of just a bit of hay

+Quote Post
Anne-Louise
post Dec 5 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 52

My welsh mountain pony also had a crest, not a large one but hard, when I got her, and had foundered previously - she had a mild founder when I first brought her home. I also put her onto a lower carbohydrate diet (it is called Triple Crown Low Starch and you can find information on it on the internet if you do a search) and on the suggestion of my vet, put her on a supplement called Quiessence. It contains chromium picolinate, which is believed to help the body utilise sugars more efficiently, and it certainly did break down my pony's crest, she is sound, her feet are great and although she has a muzzle on when the grass is green, otherwise she is just a happy, healthy little pony. I will attach a photo of her that Carol Maginn took, about six months after she had been on Quiessence.

Anne-Louise (absolutely in love with that pony...)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Sumerlan
post Dec 6 2007, 02:09 AM
Post #12

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1678

The Triple Crown Low Starch feed is wonderful! Anne Louise has influenced my thinking on this product and am now feeding to all of my herd ... various older ages ... remarkable differences in the ways the mares have reacted to low starches in their diet. Even my older mares act like younger mares showing great levels of energetic enthusiasm about life in general. My younger stock are fed the Triple Crown Complete ... a little higher in starch content ... for added nuitrition of a younger's needs in growing and development. After feeding for a short time, there's an extreme difference in how the mares show me they are feeling ... which is great!!

Sumerlan

+Quote Post
Georgia
post Dec 7 2007, 01:00 AM
Post #13

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2334

Magnesium was my mares problem. I got a product name Quientence. From FOX DEN. I'm not sure on the spelling.. will check the web sight and let you know..
DID THE TRICK.. that's for sure.. she was a founder waiting to happen. I don't mind paying good dollars for something that works and this product did.

It was 14 pounds for $80.00 US and well worth the money.. lasted quite a while.

Anita, can you tell me what you used if cheaper?

Georgia

+Quote Post
Georgia
post Dec 7 2007, 01:04 AM
Post #14

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2334

That's it Anne-Louise.. Quiessence

http://www.foxdenequine.com/products.htm

All kinds of good information on this site too!

Georgia

+Quote Post
anitae
post Dec 7 2007, 03:16 AM
Post #15

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1964

Georgia,
I've used several sources for Magnesium, finally settling on products from Uckele (www.uckele.com). They have plain magnesium oxide - very cheap. The catalog has a 2 lb. jar for $10, but they also have a 10lb bucket (price not shown - I think about $30). The second form of magnesium is"Bioplex Magnesium" - this is the proteinate form which is better absorbed and utilized than magnesium oxide. A 10 lb. pail is $46 (you feed 1-2 oz. daily). The basic feed amount is 5 gms magnesium. When I feed this, I add Chromium, which they sell as "G.T.F. Chromium - a 2 lb. pail is $30. The combination is more effective (as Anne-Louise has pointed out). Quiessence has both magnesium (its primary ingredient) and Chromium, plus some other vitamins.

Uckele has a similar product that also has more minerals and amino acids than Quiessence; its called "Glycocemic-EQ". It has 8.8 grams magnesium, plus 5 mg chromium (more of both) per 1 oz.
Other minerals: selenium, zinc, copper, phosphorus, iodine
Other amino acids/vitamins: Taurine, L-Tyrosine, Niacinimide, Alpha Lipoic Acid, L-Carnitine, Thiamine (B1), Pyrodoxine (B6), Iodine, and Vit. E.
Other ingredients, which reccent research shows have beneficial effects on managing blood glucose are: Ginger, Cinnamon, and Ginseng.

It is $135 for 10 lb compared to $80 for 14 lb of Quiessence.

Note: The info for Quiessence says the magnesium is "elemental" which doesn't tell you what form its really in. There is, apparently, a true difference in the bioavailability of the proteinate form vs. oxide.

For my money, I'd buy a 2 lb. container of the Bioplex and some Chromium and use it for at least 6 weeks and see what happens. I'd use Quiessence with a horse that is showing tendencies to being insulin resistant. If you have definite resistance and/or any history of laminitis, I'd use the Glycocemic-EQ product. The Quissence is about 35 cents per day - the Uckele heavy hitter is about twice that. I'm for the least cost that does the job, but its worth the money to help a horse that really needs all the ingredients.

Anita

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 22:59
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.