This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blue List, How to determine
curtislt
post Mar 8 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5867

I don't want to reopen a can of worms here. I have seen past discussions on this subject. ph34r.gif
My question is simple. How does one determine if their horse is Blue List or Blue List Eligible?
Is there one easy source to quickly determine this?
From past discussions, many seem to think Al Khamsa and Blue List are synonymous. So, if my horse is AK may I then represent it as Blue List -and, does the distinction between to two really matter?
I have an acquaintance that bought the herd of some well-known breeder retirees. He said many buyers (particularly of ME descent) would not even consider a horse -no matter how exceptional- if it weren't Blue List.
Apparently, some people do find this label very important.

Thanks much in advance for your help,
Curt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Mar 8 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #2

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

Hi Curt
Outside of having a copy of the Blue catalogue itself, I think Eva Dano's books are really good. They are more or less catalogues as well and list horses as being Blue list/star, AK Asil Sheikh Obeyd, etc.
Thet are also quite reasonable.Al Khamsa also has a new book coming out "momentarily" Quite reasonable too.
Blue list and AK are not really synonamous, but I personally believe they would have been more so, if Mrs. Ott had lived longer and completed more research. Her Blue catalogue is in many ways incomplete.The premis is the same behind both tho, so, yes, I think it is enough if a horse is Al Khamsa.
My opinion, only
Cathy

+Quote Post
Echo1
post Mar 8 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #3

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 394

Hi Curt,
All Al Khamsa horses are not *BLue List. Blue list 'eligible' means EVERY horse in the pedigree if entirely from *BLue List horses. Just as not all Al Khamsa Horses are Straight Egyptian. Nor are all Straight Egyptian horses *Blue List.

If you'd like, you are welcome to email me pedigrees, and I'll be happy to tell you if they are blue list eligible or not. smile.gif

+Quote Post
BasiliskBelka
post Mar 10 2008, 01:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9684

The Blue List as such is in many ways outdated, since it contains errors which have been corrected by more recent input. Al Khamsa is a more meaningful designation for today and for the future, as there are many people engaged in the Al Khamsa project.
Keren

+Quote Post
Carol Cooper-Hal...
post Mar 10 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2995

Hello Curt
I thought I would post this link: CLICK HERE that I found which offers a lot of interesting information. wink.gif
Cheers,
Carol

This post has been edited by Carol Cooper-Hall: Mar 11 2008, 11:14 AM

+Quote Post
diane
post Mar 11 2008, 03:15 AM
Post #6

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 117

[quote=curtislt,Mar 9 2008, 01:33 AM]
My question is simple. How does one determine if their horse is Blue List or Blue List Eligible?

Simple answer... one checks the original documents created by the author - Miss Jane L Ott biggrin.gif

Is there one easy source to quickly determine this?

Depends on the personal definition of "easy" biggrin.gif Though the easiest way was via Eva Dano, as indicated, as all the data was/is in her computerised database. Eva was able to generate a report per horse that gave percentages per the various categories pertaining to the purebred Arabian. Unfortunately, as per her website, Eva has been "off-line" for research requests for a while now. The alternative is as above... checking the original documents to the individual pedigree.

As suggested by Kelly, any categagories, and particularly the AK / Blue List, aren't necessarily interchangeable. Although there can be substantial (or not) overlapping between any of the various categories.

Even though it maybe considered outdated, the list is a very important and historical event. The initial list is essentially the first American categorisation aside of notation of purebred relevant to the Arabian Horse. With the consideration of what is now known, in respect to some pedigrees within purebreds, the creation of this list is a credit to Miss JL Ott. Credit should also be given to those who followed it (and other "lists"). It is an individual preference to reference this (and any other) list. If a purchaser would like a horse to be a representive of one or more list(s), so be it. Its a form of preservation. The Arabian Horse, in particular the asil desert horse as bred by the nomadic Bedouin, is still viable due to the various lists and acts of preservation beyond that of the purebred registeries.

Carol - its unfortunate that you have used "strains" pertaining to this conversation. Western lists are not interchangeable with the strain naming protocol although they will contain strain names as a method of authentication of the bloodline relevant to those individuals from the original nomadic Bedouin source. What is now known as strain names relates to the individual, verbal track / trace protocol the nomadic Bedouin used for their asl (asil) desert horses. Thereby, any western list which pertains to asil bloodlines will have strain names listed as well. UNLESS otherwise mutually agreed by all and sundry.

Confusing ~ sure is, biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Carol Cooper-Hal...
post Mar 11 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #7

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2995

QUOTE (diane @ Mar 10 2008, 11:15 PM)
Carol - its unfortunate that you have used "strains" pertaining to this conversation.  Western lists are not interchangeable with the strain naming protocol although they will contain strain names as a method of authentication of the bloodline relevant to those individuals from the original nomadic Bedouin source.  What is now known as strain names relates to the individual, verbal track / trace protocol the nomadic Bedouin used for their asl (asil) desert horses.  Thereby, any western list which pertains to asil bloodlines will have strain names listed as well.  UNLESS otherwise mutually agreed by all and sundry. 

Confusing ~  sure is,  biggrin.gif
Oops... rolleyes.gif thank you for bringing this to my attention, Diane! smile.gif
Cheers,
Carol

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 05:06
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.