This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Judging A Horse: Which Books Do You Approve?, Beurteilungslehre:Empfehlenswerte Bücher
Imke79
post Mar 13 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5351

Regarding Cathy's thread "Do You Think You Know Enough Purchasing A Well Conformed Horse" I thought it might be interesting - for newcomers especially - which books you'd approve to improve one's knowledge?
I would love to hear some suggestions (English AND German titles, please)!

Angesichts Cathys's Beitrag "Do You Think You Know Enough Purchasing A Well Conformed Horse"
dachte ich, dass es - gerade für Neulinge -ganz interessant sein könnte, ein paar Buchtipps aufzulisten?
Welche Bücher über Beurteilungslehre könnt ihr empfehlen - egal ob auf englisch oder auf deutsch?

rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DemelzaH
post Mar 13 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 5270

"Principles of Conformation Analysis" Volumes 1-3, Dr D Bennett

+Quote Post
Ladypurr
post Mar 13 2008, 08:25 PM
Post #3

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 118

Dear Imke,

I just bought a softcover book entitled, The Horse Conformation Handbook. It's written by Heather Smith Thomas. A recommendation from Bill Casner, co-owner of Win Starm Farm, Versaille, KY and a member of the Board of Trustees, Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association..."the definitve book on conformation of the horse...{Thomas} has given horsemen information and insight that will improve and advance their horsemanship no matter their level or disclipline."

The book will help you to:

--Distinguish between a fault, a blemish and unsoundness
--Discover the best job for your horse and find the best horse for your specific needs
--Be better able to predict whether a horse will stay sound or suffer breakdown injuries with hard use
--Select a broodmare that will produce good offspring or select a stallion for your mare

The back cover says, "Before you buy, before you show, learn to judge like an expert."

The book is 357 pages and is profusely illustrated with drawings and photographs.
It's available from most major on-line booksellers and is priced at $22.95 US / $32.95 Canada

I highly recommend it.

--Susan

+Quote Post
AlineS
post Mar 13 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #4

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 331

I'm using Alfred Knopfhart's "Beurteilung und Auswahl von Reitpferden" as reference. It's a German book from 1988. I like it a lot and learned so much through it. Unfortunately, it's not Arabian Horse specific. Therefore, I also have "Arabischer Adel" by Otto Saenger in my library.

Aline

+Quote Post
Sha3lan
post Mar 13 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #5

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2165

GREAT question Imke wink.gif
Yassmin

+Quote Post
Imke79
post Mar 14 2008, 09:11 AM
Post #6

Advanced Senior Member

QUOTE (Ladypurr @ Mar 13 2008, 09:25 PM)
Dear Imke,

I just bought a softcover book entitled, The Horse Conformation Handbook.  It's written by Heather Smith Thomas.  A recommendation from Bill Casner, co-owner of Win Starm Farm, Versaille, KY and a member of the Board of Trustees, Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association..."the definitve book on conformation of the horse...{Thomas} has given horsemen information and insight that will improve and advance their horsemanship no matter their level or disclipline."

The book will help you to:

--Distinguish between a fault, a blemish and unsoundness
--Discover the best job for your horse and find the best horse for your specific needs
--Be better able to predict whether a horse will stay sound or suffer breakdown injuries with hard use
--Select a broodmare that will produce good offspring or select a stallion for your mare

The back cover says, "Before you buy, before you show, learn to judge like an expert."

The book is 357 pages and is profusely illustrated with drawings and photographs.
It's available from most major on-line booksellers and is priced at $22.95 US / $32.95 Canada

I highly recommend it.

--Susan

QUOTE (AlineS @ Mar 13 2008, 09:57 PM)
I'm using Alfred Knopfhart's "Beurteilung und Auswahl von Reitpferden" as reference. It's a German book from 1988. I like it a lot and learned so much through it. Unfortunately, it's not Arabian Horse specific. Therefore, I also have "Arabischer Adel" by Otto Saenger in my library.

Aline

Dear Susan,
dear Aline!

Thank you so much for your replies. I am always interested in book recommendations - you will always find something new or at least new aspects and I guess one never stops learning!

I already have a copy of Otto Saenger's book but Knopfhart's title and Heather Smith Thomas' also sound very interesting. Seems like I have to expand my library... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
zenith
post Mar 14 2008, 09:25 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 5925

I agree Heather Thomas' horse conformation handbook is excellent.
Good information and pictures, easy to read and to find information
http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Conformation-H...s/dp/1580175589

+Quote Post
ELAcrisi
post Mar 14 2008, 09:25 AM
Post #8

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 80

There must be a good one of Peter Upton, specially for arabians. When I have passed the ECAHO judge clinic my english colleges quoted this book like a bible.
Christina

+Quote Post
Imke79
post Mar 14 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #9

Advanced Senior Member

QUOTE (ELAcrisi @ Mar 14 2008, 10:25 AM)
There must be a good one of Peter Upton, specially for arabians. When I have  passed the ECAHO judge clinic my english colleges quoted this book like a bible.
Christina

Is it "The Classic Arabian Horse"?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 13:30
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.