This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Equine Wormers, Do You Rotate?, and if so, what do you use/when
An American Bree...
post Mar 14 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #1

Gold Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 606

In the process of buying my year's worth of equine wormers for the horses and wonder what all of you do regarding these wormers?

I have tried rotating of several different types of wormers as it is recommended and just don't see results from most of them. Zimectrin seems to be the one that is effective.

Up here in Idaho, I am hoping that my horses will get some time out on a pasture for some time/days of actual grazing LOL = not possible out there in the desert where I was unless you call sagebrush and chamois grazing.

I like to buy in bulk for a savings and am looking at Jeffers Livestock. Waiting to hear from you as next week is the order date.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mbtulimaa
post Mar 14 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1349

I usually rotate between Zimectrin Gold, Strongid and anthelcide. I use Zimectrin Gold in the late fall after the first real hard freeze then again about may time frame. I rotate between the anthelcide and strongid the rest of the year. I worm every 10-12 weeks. I use the Gold in the fall after the freeze to get the bot worms out of their systems. I use it again in the spring incase they injested any eggs after the fall use. Plus they are getting the tapeworm coverage with the gold also.
Amy L. Cone

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Mar 14 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #3

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

I worm every three months............late October, after a killing frost, I use Eqvalan, and then again in January. End of April, I use Strongid C.. July, I use either Safeguard or Panacure.
Cathy

+Quote Post
Seglavi
post Mar 14 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #4

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2910

Hi,
You will find exceptional savings if you check Country Supply right now for dewormers. The best prices are for the generics, Ivermectin and Pyrantel Pamoate, but I have used this supply company for years without problems.
Pam Studebaker

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Mar 14 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #5

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2799

Since we really don't have pasture, it is mostly dirt/sand. Our vet recommended worming 3 times a year. Every couple of years we do a fecal count and have no problems. Knocking on wood here. I will use Zimectrin Gold, just after spring breaks and again after a hard freeze. Strongid is used in January.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
gadonatella
post Mar 14 2008, 06:18 PM
Post #6

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2883

I also use Country Supply for wormers- they have the generic Ivermectin for $1.99 a tube until April 1st as I just ordered some wink.gif .. I use Ivermectin and rotate with Strongid in the spring- I worm every 10 weeks.. I used Quest one time and had a bad colic so I strongly recommend being careful using the 'bot removal' wormers, as my vet told me, the dead bot eggs will ball up in the intenstines causing a blockage.

Sandy

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Mar 14 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #7

Gold Member
Group Icon

Country Supply is an excellent place. They are sponsors of our Arabian Community Shows, the Eastern Michigan Arabian Association.
If you use the code EMAA, they will donate 5% of purchases to our shows. Well, with the exception of wormers and Shipping.
Great prices and good people to deal with.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
clearcreekarabia...
post Mar 14 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9190

hi everybody,
ivermectin gets the bots. quest gets the encrusted cyathostomes and large/small strongyles. if they have any kind of build-up, you could have a colic. or, that horse had an adverse reaction to the wormer itself. when quest first came out i had one get bellyachy afterwards but she really had a load of strongyles that weren't touched by anything else. i've given her quest since with no problems at all. rotate just to be sure. a fecal count is a great tool too. also, worming in the summer is very effective. the heat kills the worms. cold weather may actually preserve the little beggers!!
sandy-$1.99!!! i'm on that! thanks!
good luck,
barbara

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Mar 14 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #9

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

I have also seen several colics right after worming with Quest, and will not use itIn Canada, the most reasonable place to get wormers (that I have found) is GreenHawk.
Cathy
Ps- Sandy, it's not the eggs that ball up, it's dead and immobilized worms.

+Quote Post
gadonatella
post Mar 14 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #10

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2883

"Quest's claims to fame are that it will kill bot fly larvae, encysted
small strongyle larvae"

"Larval cyathostomiasis (or small strongyle infection) is a distinct
clinical syndrome that occurs with the mass emergence of encysted larvae
from the intestinal wall. This release happens more in winter and spring.
Small strongyles are less damaging than large strongyles since the larval
migration is limited to the intestinal lining. However, the damage
impairs normal gut motility, leading to signs of colic, colic being the
most common cause of death in horses."

It was "larvae" buildup that caused the blockage I was told by my vet.. not worms

Sandy

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Mar 14 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #11

Gold Member
Group Icon

AND Tapeworms. Because Quest and Zimectrin Gold, take care of tapeworms, this will kill everything and they overwhelm the intestines and cause colic.
It is actual parasite overload that will cause the colic. If you have never used these 2 dewormers before, then use Strongid, once a week, for 2 weeks, wait 2 weeks and then use Quest or Zimectrin Gold.
Quest is Moxidectin and Zimectrin Gold is Ivermectin and Praziquantal.
I have used both, with no problems.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
Sharabia
post Mar 15 2008, 07:21 AM
Post #12

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2096

Hi Liz,

We also rotate with Panomec (excuse spelling!), Quest and Safeguard. Panamec in the spring (end of this month ours are due for this one), then we rotate the dewormers every 3 - 4 months with the adults. We've always had access to lots of pasture and are now on 150 acres at our new farm - no sand, just prairie grass, some alfalfa here and there too.

Our foals we also rotate, but start their first deworming at 6 weeks with Panomec, then every four weeks after that rotating the dewormers until they are a year old - you know foals, tasting dirt, wood, etc. and then sucking off mama in the pasture after she's rolled. So, I'm a little more adamant about deworming them (drives Curtis crazy sometimes). Once they're a year, we deworm about every 8-9 weeks during their second year of life.

We have also had a rescue horse arrive here - she was dewormed after she settled and was eating/drinking well, (approx. 3 - 4 weeks) then dewormed by us for the first time, and again two weeks later. After that, we dewormed her frequently (I think it was every month for about three months, but would have to double check my records) before getting her on the same schedule with the other mature horses.

Sincerely,
Sheila Bautz

+Quote Post
Sharabia
post Mar 15 2008, 07:28 AM
Post #13

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2096

PS- We have been fortunate with no colic cases after deworming with one exception to date - a 3 month old filly that arrived here along side her dam, (we purchased the dam while the foal returned to the owner after weaning). I walked the little filly through it and she turned out fine - too many worms in her little system. We then dewormed her and all the foals she was with two weeks later before putting them back on a 6 week schedule.

It's getting late, but I am racking my brain on the name of that dewormer - it was a very expensive one compared to others - over $20.00 a tube and revered for killing a very wide range of worms. That was the first and last time I used it, though it was said to be safe to use on foals too.

Sheila

+Quote Post
diane
post Mar 15 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #14

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 117

An ivermectin liquid based product (1ml / 50kg) eg Equiminth or Equimec rotated at least twice a year with Equest gel per manufacturer's dosages. Weight tape is used to check weight especially with youngsters.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 10:36
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.