This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Endurance Races- Uae, We need to do something about this
HLM
post Mar 17 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 192

Dear All

As you all know I am an advocate for testing horses and love the endurance races.

the last race a few days ago in Al ain, UAE - 80 miler- was won with an average speed of 25 km
(15,6 mph). There were 70 entries and 60 eliminated with lameness. Ten finished.

Another one in January- a 100 miler- with about the same speed.
this means the horse has to full out gallop all the way and that is INSANE
over such distance. there were 107 entries and 74 eliminated for lameness.
Thirtythree finished.

Not even in the war, or even the USA Pony Express had their horses do this.
In my opinion this is total ignorance and cruel, poor sportsmenship and something has to be done about this. A rule has to be established to give penalties for overusing a horse. What is one to prove with this inhuman testing?

I dont know what kind of rule should be established, what norm to be set, but I dont think it should continue as is now. Horses on the flat track only go a short distance in comparrison, and ask for utmost speed.But you cant do this on a long distance race..

There is no way that most horses can endure and stay sound unless something is being done.

Just my opinion, what is yours please?

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tous crins
post Mar 17 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #2

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 173

Hi Hansi,

Were there horses you sold in there?
Isn't that scary?

This looks like victory at all cost and disposable horses.

Christine

+Quote Post
Dakhilah
post Mar 17 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 398

Hi,
I personally think this is much to much , really not fair to ask from any horse and totally unrealistic!!...
Like Tous crins says ....Victory/winning at all cost ..........and THAT is never a good thing in my humble opinion mad.gif....
Greetings sas.

+Quote Post
Arabian Stud Eur...
post Mar 17 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #4

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 312

Can't believe people are sooo cruel!
Here in Holland we have a minimum and max. speed for the contest.
If you are coming in with an average of 25 km/h when only 20 is permitted, you are disqualified.

+Quote Post
HLM
post Mar 17 2008, 05:49 PM
Post #5

Advanced Senior Member

I am calling on all endurance riders world wide.
I am calling on all endurance ride veterinarians worldwide

No, had no horse in it, answer to the post.

Here are my sincere recommendations:

1) Each 25 miles should have
a) a designated distance to "trot" m/m 5 minutes
cool.gif a designated distance to "walk"- m/m 5-8 minutes
c) a designated distance to gallop, whatever speed the horse can safely do..

thas means each 25miles of each ride regardless of actual milage should have these recovering rest distances in it.

Most all of us love our horses, want to compete honestly,fairly and gallantly and a win is not worth ruining a horse for live.

I am on my way to the UAe tomorrow, so can follow this thread until tomorrow
noon only and pray that everyone of you speaks up, gives their comments and enduces other to do the same. Only then can we all do something about this
issue. WE ALL CAN STOP THIS UTTER AND INSANE NONSENSE!!! (I am not shouting, I am SCREAMING)

I feel certain that the governing people of the endurance race in the UAe or whereever are doing their best, but this best does not appear to do the best.
Please my friends all our horses come first!!! that should be an "Order".

Take care and please help the horses, all of them. Thanks so much

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
Guest_julieM_*
post Mar 17 2008, 05:49 PM
Post #6

Guests

Dear Hansi,

This in not new, in fact it is happening all over the world. Perhaps a few more finishers but the speeds are much the same, over the last 3 to 4 years we have seem many horses come and go, the average( front runner) endurance horse in FEI rides lasts for around 3 to 4 rides rides if he is lucky. We see horses that have never done anything become overnight champions.
It is rather like the cyclists the products used are not tested or testable and often used a few weeks before the rides, or old products which are not on the list are used. An example would be a terrible product called serapin,you will not see a lame horse with this one, but the horse could break aleg and not feel a thing.
Thankfully here are many dedicated vets that invent new methods to stop what is happening,
at the WEG 2006 in Germany we saw a complete turn around in the way that the ride was ridden simply because the riders were warned that if I needle was found in or anywhere around the seperate country areas the whole team for that country would be eliminated. The organisers also ensured that the public was as close as possible to the vetgates, and had people walking the track just in case a rider slipped off for a few minutes.
The best way for the vets to actually stop the riders who use the betablockers, is a recheck around
30 minutes after they pass the vet in, as the heart beat will often rise, but there is talk that this will disappear from FEI rules. If things dont change I see a serious split between breeders/riders producing horses for up to 100 miles and trying their best to product a horse with a long career, and the others who last aroud 12 to 18 months.
In Belgium they call it negative doping, simply because it cant be traced.
Sorry for the spelling, but I just had to quickly answer this one, (my spell check is in french) but the horses, dogs and better half are all waiting to be fed.

Juliem

+Quote Post
HLM
post Mar 17 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #7

Advanced Senior Member

Dear JUliem

I am a firm believer in the good old American Saying" If I dont like something I dont talk much about it, I do something about it.

why on this earth did nobody do something about it? rules are menmade, common sense has to prevail.

Read my earlier post and I pray that everybody out there WORLDWIDE IS
now doing their part to help save the horses.

Believe it or not, in all my life of riding I never had a lame horse through training or riding. I got lame ones while in pasture, stepping on something, but never anything serious. Of course lameness can happen just by making one wrong step, so I am not saying that I am special, more so that I was lucky.

I do not know who is in charge of these rides, which also should be fun. Even "Hildago" had his rest periods. But then he was owned by a very loving human partner.

What worries me so much is, what happens to these horses coming home crippled?

when I watched the 100miler in Dubai a few years ago I was appolled over the riding style most all had. It was just plain terrible. Most all should have to go back to basics and learn to sit a horse, learn how to preserve it under saddle and not look like a piece of butter on a hot potatoe, arms like fly swaters and legs like
drum beaters. that is not riding, that is total torchure for horse and yes, the riders.

All of you, please post, suggest, recommend, advise and let's get together WORLDWIDE and stop the slaughter.

thanks and God bless you all

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
DrSabine
post Mar 17 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 375

Hi Hansi,

in the UAE and other arabian countries the horeses are raced on prepared tracks. Flat, no holes, no deep sand... the speed which is achieved in those countries can never be achieved in Europe or the USA. In most cases the race is not won for big money, but for HONOUR, which means a lot more to the owners of the horses.

The problem is, SOME horses are able to go this speed over such a distance. Most of them fail, which sheds not quite the best light on endurance rides.

I prefer:
Championships where the achieved miles per YEAR is honoured over a single race win
The possibility to stop a race before the full distance and get the distance counted for the horse
Orientation via maps, no markings on the route (could to be difficult in the desert...)
If necessary, defined maximum speed allowance

Back to the roots. To finish is to win. But I'm afraid you can't turn back time..

Sabine

+Quote Post
1rider
post Mar 17 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 6480

People ask me what do you get for finishing first on tevis" a buckle and the acomlishment, same as finishing last" in the middle east you win 150,000 or 1,500,000 cant rememberr think it the latter and a four wheel drive. my feeling on this is they need to change the courses and eliminate the crews only at the checks. instead of five trucks fallowing you all day. this might slow them down also a year end milage award so that finishing becomes more important. anyway they are hard on them and the way they ride also doest make it any easier..Ken

+Quote Post
1rider
post Mar 17 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #10

Yes DrS your right its the honour then the money because i know the shiehk doesnt need it. they rehab the ones with problems and give them to friends or locals or they put them to pasture i do know that because i talked to a lady that has 2 at her house in europe. Ken

+Quote Post
Heirloom Arabian...
post Mar 17 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #11

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 892

HANSI,
Here in the US, this type of thng really isnt allowed in sauntioned races, and We also have CTR rides that you are NOt allowed to canter or gallop a horse at ALL, And it is strickly enforced, Frankly, I,m not sure what we can do here to stop what goes on over there, It is my opnion that anyone who would race a horse like that, doesnt care about the horse, only the win, there for,, makeing the horse despensible, and probably often neglected or disposed of after such a race if it pulls up lame,

But i must admit, in my years, jorneys and yes a few races, ive seen cowboys that race, often unsupervised, and run there horses as hard as they can the distance of the race, NO, never seen anyone do a 100 miles, but the trama to the horse is much the same, nose bleeds, lungs, thumps, very heavy excessive use of the whip!
its sad, and all we can do really is stay away from such races if we care about our horses!

Mike

+Quote Post
HLM
post Mar 17 2008, 07:31 PM
Post #12

Advanced Senior Member

Thanks friends for replying

But I can not accept what you say is happening and obviously condoned. Of course, I know that endurance races differ from each other, but here we are talking about the Middle East, the desert countries.

I see no reason why markers cant be set when and where the horse has to trot or walk and gallop.

On hard terrain the horses slow down and with it catch their breath some what.
they dont have that chance in the desert rides. therefore, each area should
establish a form safe for the horses. and it is up to the organization to immediately
establish covering rules, rules which are HUMANE!!.

Please friends, dont ever accpt in life what is unreasonable, fight to set it right.
If you truly love horses, than start fighting for them please.

I dont believe that point system you pointed out will work either. It still means that some run their horses half to death. But a point system can still be established once these rides are ridden in a sensible, fair to the horse, manner.

So please, no more excuses, rather give ideas and dont stray away from those trot and walk times, those are important.

Form a deligation and take the bull by the horn. Just dont ever give up doing what is right please.

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
fhl_stables
post Mar 17 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3375

Hello Hansi.

So according to what you've posted, you could've kept your horse at a steady pace, rested and continued w/o tiring the horse out AND still come in - not winning - but definately placing b/c everyone else were too stupid and ran their horses into the ground. Idiots!

mad.gif

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Mar 17 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #14

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

Perhaps it would be better if equal prize money, and equal honour was given to the horse that came in in best condition????
Cathy

+Quote Post
1rider
post Mar 17 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #15

Hansi, in every race, there are horses ran to hard. and they do have manditory hold six times from 30hour to hour.. i dont believe you can control the pace during the ride or should you.. but gate and goes would help they are pionts where you have to let the heart come down to criteria then you go again tevis has many.. so at these you couldnt come in hot or youll take to much time...so a slower horse not getting held at these would do better then someone going to fast.. Ken not an easy solution..

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 01:15
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.