This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Al Khamsa Convention-2008, Education
Seglavi
post Jun 20 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #16

Advanced Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2910

Thanks Kathy, we will really look forward to seeing you in Oregon in '09 as well as your cookies! That Northwest Pacific AK group is wonderful and oh the horses out there! Good luck with getting your farm, we aren't that far away and would really love to see your mare and her foal when it arrives next year, notice the positive thought!
I love the idea of a Texas convention. There are several convention sites already locked in for the next few years, Oregon-'09, Ky. -'10 and probably Virginia-'11. I don't think we have ever had so many invitations to hold a convention, it is wonderful.
Pam Studebaker
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BaileyArabians
post Jun 21 2008, 12:45 AM
Post #17

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3603

Thanks Pam for the welcome and I think it's so wonderful that it seems like so many places want you to be there. Just goes to show that folks have a lot of interest.

When we have the little one I'll for certain invite you and Jill over to see it and it's sweet mommy and whoever I can find for a companion for her. smile.gif

Kathy

+Quote Post
Timecapsule Arab...
post Jun 21 2008, 02:03 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 9012

I can only speak for myself but I must admit I am greatly dissapointed in AHA and it's show comission members in how they handled this, though frankly can't say why I would have expected more from them.

Even more so I am devastated for Ellen May who has worked very hard at having tried to cordinate this.

I think truthfully this speaks volumes to where AHA's priorities and focus is.

And believe me when I say this is a very conservative version of how I feel about AHA and how they have delt with this.

Irregardless of AHA and Nationals I have complete faith in Ellen May and her committee to be able to pull this convention together and make it a huge success.

Matter fact I have been counting on those mechanical bulls !!!!
Laura

+Quote Post
Timecapsule Arab...
post Jun 21 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 9012

Now for those of you who have never had the chance to attend a Al Khamsa Convention let me share briefly my experiences.

I had wanted to go for many years but the timing never seemed right to get away to go. But back in 2006 I told my hubby I really wanted to go, it was in IL that year and I was also hoping to get a chance to go over to the Craver's farm. So he agreed he could deal with the animals and the kids for a long weekend and I booked my trip.
I have a bit of a phobia about driving ( highways and cities esp, and even worse if it is in a area I do not know) so the IL group offered to pick me up at the airport and bring me to the hotel/convention. As my flight had been a early one I was there before the convention technally started. When I entered the room at the hotel where the board was having their meeting, I was greeted and asked who I was. When I responded and gave them my name, many of them seemed to have already heard of me which kinda took me aback ( of course some of the board was Davenport owners so pretty small group ), I had honestly expected to fall back in the shadows and be the wall flower that I normally am at social gatherings and in crowds, as I am not a big fan of large crowds. Every single Al Khamsa board member and supporter that I had the pleasure to talk to or meet was very warm and welcoming.

SOOOOOOOOOOO anyone who is on the fence on weather or not they should attend a Al Khamsa Convention (weather it be this year or in the future) I very highly recommend the experience. It is a experience that I highly doubt will ever be achieved at too many other Arabian horse functions, and definetely not at the Nationals or Scottsdale. It is a warm welcoming friendly enviroment that is conducive to making friendships with in the Arabian community.
Laura

+Quote Post
Tous crins
post Jun 21 2008, 03:59 AM
Post #20

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (Timecapsule Arabians @ Jun 20 2008, 07:21 PM)
Now for those of you who have never had the chance to attend a Al Khamsa Convention let me share briefly my experiences.

I had wanted to go for many years but the timing never seemed right to get away to go. But back in 2006 I told my hubby I really wanted to go, it was in IL that year and I was also hoping to get a chance to go over to the Craver's farm. So he agreed he could deal with the animals and the kids for a long weekend and I booked my trip.
I have a bit of a phobia about driving ( highways and cities esp, and even worse if it is in a area I do not know) so the IL group offered to pick me up at the airport and bring me to the hotel/convention. As my flight had been a early one I was there before the convention technally started. When I entered the room at the hotel where the board was having their meeting, I was greeted and asked who I was. When I responded and gave them my name, many of them seemed to have already heard of me which kinda took me aback ( of course some of the board was Davenport owners so pretty small group ), I had honestly expected to fall back in the shadows and be the wall flower that I normally am at social gatherings and in crowds, as I am not a big fan of large crowds. Every single Al Khamsa board member and supporter that I had the pleasure to talk to or meet was very warm and welcoming.

SOOOOOOOOOOO anyone who is on the fence on weather or not they should  attend a Al Khamsa Convention (weather it be this year or in the future) I very highly recommend the experience. It is a experience that I highly doubt will ever be achieved at too many other Arabian horse functions, and definetely not at the Nationals or Scottsdale.  It is  a warm welcoming friendly enviroment that is conducive to making friendships with in the Arabian community.
Laura

Some friendly volunteers - Ellen attending a visitor

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Baraka
post Jun 21 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #21

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2141

For the first time in years, and only because Tulsa is so close, I am making plans to drive to Nationals for a couple of days. I quit going years ago, because frankly, it was boring. I'd rather spend the precious little time I can get away, going to the Egyptian Event.

Now that I hear the AK Convention will be in Tulsa, I am much more interested in making the trip. Can someone post the address where it will be held? I assume that it will now NOT be on the Fairgrounds. Such a shame.

I assume the problem is that they were afraid it might draw the audience away from Nationals. To me, this would be very short sighted. It works both ways, and would only serve to bring MORE people to both functions - not the other way around! What better way to show the world what a wonderful, and versatile community supports this Arabian breed. I just have a hard time understanding a lot of what goes on when competition is at play.

+Quote Post
Oak Grove Arabia...
post Jul 7 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 17164

Hello,
As the Chair for Al Khamsa's 2008 Convention, I am getting over my fear of forums to let everyone know that our plans are well underway. biggrin.gif We have a wonderful facility selected http://www.bridlecreekok.com only a few miles North of Tulsa for our Fantasia and horse activities and a breathtaking location http://www.postoaklodge.com for our meetings nearby.

While we were disappointed the the AHA's decision dry.gif , we are definitely turning lemons into lemonade! tongue.gif This is going to be one fantastic convention starting with an early bird special tour of the Gilcrease Museum on Thursday, a Chuck Wagon Dinner and Barn Dance to kick things off on Friday night, Peter Harrigan's lecture on Saturday morning, a helpful workshop on breeding stock selection lead by Mike Albertini, Tom Patterson and Sue Burnhan on Saturday afternoon and a Fantasia organized by Alice Martin later that same day. On Sunday, Joe Ferriss is lining up some of Al Khamsa's "treasures" for a Breeders Panel and Brunch at the Philbrook Museum and Gardens. Our visit to Tulsa caps off with a tour of nearby Sanctuary Farms with owner Helen Callaway. This will be a weekend absolutely filled with enthusiastic people, wonderful horses, great food and enourmous fun, all arranged with limited budgets in mind.

We need people to bring Al Khamsa horses for the Fantasia. Taking advantage of the media attention on the Arabian breed, this event will be highly-publicized and will offer the public a chance to see 'a different type of Arabian' in a non-competitive demonstration of their beauty and versatility. This is the first time for Al Khamsa to be in this part of the country so we really want to showcase AK horses in this region. The stabling and arena facitity is top-notch, cabins, RV spaces and free camping are also available on site for those who like to stay close to their horses.

So whether you are coming to Tulsa for the U.S. Nationals or for the 2008 Convention or both wink.gif , please join us and show your support for the Al Khamsa Arabian horse!
Ellen May

+Quote Post
LMG
post Jul 7 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #23

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2551

I know that this is supposed to be a secret, but I think it is of such import that I must give a hint about the one event in the fantasia which is celebrating women warriors through the centuries, including those in the New World and the Amazons of the Old World.

I've been told this includes the painting of one's body blue and groups of women riding at full in more or less battle regalia on original war horses.

I suggest everyone bring cameras to this event, since it is to be a once in a life time showing.

LMG

+Quote Post
Tous crins
post Jul 7 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #24

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (Oak Grove Arabians @ Jul 7 2008, 09:13 AM)
Hello,
As the Chair for Al Khamsa's 2008 Convention, I am getting over my fear of forums to let everyone know that our plans are well underway.  biggrin.gif We have a wonderful facility selected http://www.bridlecreekok.com only a few miles North of Tulsa for our Fantasia and horse activities and a breathtaking location http://www.postoaklodge.com for our meetings nearby.

While we were disappointed the the AHA's decision dry.gif , we are definitely turning lemons into lemonade!  tongue.gif This is going to be one fantastic convention starting with an early bird special tour of the Gilcrease Museum on Thursday, a Chuck Wagon Dinner and Barn Dance to kick things off on Friday night, Peter Harrigan's lecture on Saturday morning, a helpful workshop on breeding stock selection lead by Mike Albertini, Tom Patterson and Sue Burnhan on Saturday afternoon and a Fantasia organized by Alice Martin later that same day. On Sunday, Joe Ferriss is lining up some of Al Khamsa's "treasures" for a Breeders Panel and Brunch at the Philbrook Museum and Gardens. Our visit to Tulsa caps off with a tour of nearby Sanctuary Farms with owner Helen Callaway. This will be a weekend absolutely filled with enthusiastic people, wonderful horses, great food and enourmous fun, all arranged with limited budgets in mind.

We need people to bring Al Khamsa horses for the Fantasia. Taking advantage of the media attention on the Arabian breed, this event will be highly-publicized and will offer the public a chance to see 'a different type of Arabian' in a non-competitive demonstration of their beauty and versatility. This is the first time for Al Khamsa to be in this part of the country so we really want to showcase AK horses in this region. The stabling and arena facitity is top-notch, cabins, RV spaces and free camping are also available on site for those who like to stay close to their horses.

So whether you are coming to Tulsa for the U.S. Nationals or for the 2008 Convention or both wink.gif , please join us and show your support for the Al Khamsa Arabian horse!
Ellen May

Ellen,

That is the kind of detail I need to fully decide me!
Does Alice Martin (is she the one?) still have her team of Davenport stallions?
I have seen some old pictures that were breathtaking.

Wondering if Lorriee's post has something to do with it.

Who is Peter harrigan? (forgive my ignorance).

Christine

Christine

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Jul 7 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #25

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

Makes me wish I was able to go this year, but alas.....must wait for 09 in Oregon...................
Blue paint ????? Lorriee, are you and Deb riding in that presentation???? Now I REALLY wish I could go............
Cathy

+Quote Post
Oak Grove Arabia...
post Jul 7 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 17164

I am not sure about Alice's horses or if she will bring them down from Illinois. I do know that she knows how to put on a Fantasia!

I can only assume it is none other than Lorriee herself who is planning to strip down to nothing more than a coat of blue paint and gallop through the arena on a desert bred war horse. That should draw a good crowd.

Peter Harrigan is the commissioning editor for Barzan press, who published Peter Upton's book The Arab Horse and the autobiography of Lady Anne Blunt by HVF Winstone. He is a prolific writer, a long time resident of Saudi Arabia and made a presentation on the History of the Arabian Horse at the 2007 Egyptian Event. We are fortunate to have him travelling all this way to speak for us!

So bring your camera. YOU and ALL photographers, no matter how big their lenses, are very welcomed to join us!

Al Khamsa will soon be mailing a flyer to everyone on our mailing list and will also be sending out updates via the Inside Al Khamsa and Khamsat Express. I can also provide a text of the schedule, prices, etc. for anyone who wants a sneak preview. arabians@centurytel.net.
Ellen

+Quote Post
LMG
post Jul 8 2008, 12:42 AM
Post #27

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2551

After receiving many many pm's requesting that I not show up in blue paint, or that the photographers lack a lens which is sufficient for such a panoramic scene, I must demur from participating, but I am absolutely certain that this is going to be a whiz-bang event.

I know that Ellen and others have done yoemen's work in putting together a Convention which will be not only one which will be a lot more bang for the buck than the ordinary horse show, but you will have an opportunity to meet people who will make you feel a part of the Convention, will be both mentally and emotionally stimulated by the planned events and after hearing about the good time everyone had at both the last one and this one, wonder why you haven't been attending these Conventions all along.

This is not your Mom's ordinary Convention, but one that will make you glad you are a member of the Arabian Horse fraternity.

LMG

+Quote Post
eyegor2
post Jul 8 2008, 05:12 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 15449

well dang it,, now I am truly tempted to attend, cause I for sure just have to observe what all the flapping blue is about, especially on an extended trotting desert horse...
Dang, the imagination is totally rampant......

+Quote Post
Mr Prospector
post Jul 9 2008, 03:48 AM
Post #29

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 4001

Well if Hansi goes and paints herself blue, would someone please, please get me a picture of it. lol.
Karen

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Jul 9 2008, 04:34 AM
Post #30

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

Well, at the last convention, Hansi took the bull by the horns, and they got a picture of that............so, if she is one of the ones to paint herself blue, I'm sure SOMEBODY will take pictures.........
Cathy

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 00:04
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.