This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Canadian Thistle, Anybody have this in hay?
2mntn
post Aug 20 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #1

Gold Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 4862

Just wondering if anyone has any problem with Canadian Thistle in their hay? Seems like we get it around here at times - farmers usually fight pretty hard to get rid of it.

I haven't had trouble with the horses, but hear some things from others about the little stickers on the ends of the leaves. Any comments?

Ray
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Abbasiyah
post Aug 20 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #2

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 110

laugh.gif Ray... Being Canadian I remember thistles but they had no nationality such as "Canadian thistle". Maybe they are a hardy species, like Canadians. We all know you have to be hardy to endure the Canadian winter, the Canadian black fly season, Canadian mosquito (10 times larger than Texas ones believe me), Canadian summer (???), Candian fall or early winter and then gee we are back to that Candian winter laugh.gif

All kidding aside, I think thistle is everywhere as I buy hay from New Mexico and it has its own version of thistle, tumble weed and other interesting items that seem to blow in from the highways. Star thistle is a problem... nasty but they are without nationality so to speak wink.gif

Maybe you can blame it on the darn Candian north winds that blow down into Idaho... you know that darn Candian cold front that they talk about all the time on the weather chanel tongue.gif

Just pulling your leg there Ray wink.gif

Judi

+Quote Post
2mntn
post Aug 20 2008, 07:11 PM
Post #3

Gold Member
Group Icon

Well, I'm glad you made the leg pulling clear, cause I was ready to slam you to the mat! OOps...did Al hear that? rolleyes.gif

Ray laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Abbasiyah
post Aug 20 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #4

Advanced Senior Member

laugh.gif Love it when a guy thinks he can slam me to the mat laugh.gif Along with my Canadian hardiness and growing up with 3 brothers (had to be a tough tom boy in my family to survive) I've learned a few mat tricks from the lone star state... so come'on down laugh.gif But before we get to wrestling over the properties of thistles I would recommend a cold Peroni (imported Italian beer) to give you the much needed energy to take me on rolleyes.gif wink.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

By the way Al would probably just pop another Peroni and watch us have at it so to speak wink.gif Bring a horse or two to ride as we are close to the best riding country you can imagine at the All Natural State Park.

Judi

+Quote Post
2mntn
post Aug 20 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #5

Gold Member
Group Icon

Hi Judy,

Sounds great! I don't think Al should get any free entertainment, though. laugh.gif

Plus, I don't know why I need to bring any horses to Texas - ya'll runnin' short?? wink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Ray biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Abbasiyah
post Aug 21 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #6

Advanced Senior Member

Well Ray he will be paying for the Peroni so you should give a little don't ya think?

Lots of horses here in Texas for sure so I guess we could round up a suitable mount. We have afew mules down the road used for packing gear and I have a big paint mare that will go at a nice easy gait for a man of your age laugh.gif wink.gif Otherwise you could break out a few of my younger boys just for fun blink.gif There is an authentic wild west outfitter in town where you can buy guns, chaps, saddle bags and spurs. I'd not recommend spurs for the young boys just yet though laugh.gif

All kidding aside a nice trail ride should be planned for the Hill Country Natural State Park a great place to ride. You know Ray RIDE... as in actually get on an Arabian... wow laugh.gif I know you ride Ray but some others have never been on the back of an Arabian.... (must be a long lost art ph34r.gif )

Hill Country State Parks

Courtesy Bandera CVB

Considered one of the most beautiful areas of Texas, The Texas Hill Country Regions comes alive with rolling hills wildflowers, lakes and streams. The Hill Country is home to Wild game, dude ranches, honkytonks and everything cowboy. Located in the center of the state, the Texas Hill Country is just down the road no matter where you are in the state. This is a must see region of Texas.

Attached Image

And Ray... we can provide a few (hundred) glimpses of exotic deer, buffalo and a some sidewinders (the snake variety) not human but I'm sure both reside out here in the wilds laugh.gif wink.gif And just last week a hive of African honey bees stopped just outside our house for refreshments. The Texas Agriculture man said leave them alone (duh... as if I was going to disturb them blink.gif ) and they will leave. He said they were just looking for a home. I said to him, what if they like our Peroni and Salsa and his droll reply was "I'm sure they will leave in a few days... that is unless your tree has a hole in it". blink.gif ... OMG... blink.gif Needless to say we rushed out to make sure that this particular tree and all other trees on the property did not have hive making holes!!! unsure.gif Sure enough after 3 days of us quietly moving around them they swarmed off to who knows where?

Here is the picture I took of the happy group resting in the tree by my back door ohmy.gif
Kinda makes that Candian thistle look harmless, doesn't it laugh.gif But they're gone now Ray so its safe to come on down biggrin.gif Judi

Attached Image

+Quote Post
calicoarab
post Aug 21 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1188

Canadian thistle (?Cirsium canadiensis), is an "A" rated weed here in California, according the the CDFA. Non-native, highly invasive, and subject to mandatory eradication! In other words, we don't have it & are trying to keep it that way! We DO have yellow star thistle, (Cirsium solstitialis) though, and it is a major problem in the northern half ot the state. Yellow star is actualy toxic- parlyzes the mouth & tounge! And though most of the time livestock will not eat it, if the pasture is badly overgrazed and the animal is desperate, it is also addictive, and they will leave good feed to eat this horrible plant and die! Up your way there are also several varieties of knapweed, which are not toxic but also crowd out desiable hays/ pasture grasses. And dalmation toadflax, musk thistle, stiniging nettle, etc. The thistles are the worst tho' 'cause of their horrid spines. Yuk!

Sandy

+Quote Post
calicoarab
post Aug 21 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1188

Oh Judi, I just read the rest of your post. So you have the jioy of the 'Killer Bees' too? They are all over out here in our area! Chiron (Karen) had a bunch take up residence in an old tack trunk several years ago on her old place, and when she went to fire up a pair of clippers to give a filly a haircut, they were attackted! Both Karen & the filly were pretty badly stung, but the got off relatively easy, as the colony had not been there for a really long time, & was smaller than they usually are! But your agriculture man was absolutely correct, absconding swarms ( those looking for a place to form a new colony) are not going to stay more than about 3 days tops. And they are not as aggressive, as have no hive to defend. BUT if they do, watch out! Small engine noises, such as the clipper motors, and two cycle engines like lawn mowers, leaf blowers, etc., seem to be intolerable to them and they will attck the source of the sound with a fury!

Sandy

+Quote Post
2mntn
post Aug 21 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #9

Gold Member
Group Icon

Hello Judi,

My mother lives less than 50 miles from you. One of these days we'll have to arrange a get together. We would love to meet you and Al and see what you've got left in the way of horsies. smile.gif

Ray

+Quote Post
Abbasiyah
post Aug 21 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #10

Advanced Senior Member

Hi Sandy,

How are you doing? Wish we were closer!!! Yes African honey bees are here to stay and since we are in an area with plenty of fruit and flowers they like it here. I just hope they don't kill out the European honey bees which is their apparent goal sad.gif Bees with an attitude we don't need laugh.gif

Thanks for the update on that unwelcome cirsium canadiensis. Ray will just have to lobby for more boarder patrol guards on the Canadian border to prevent thistle seeds from trying to cross the border illegally wink.gif This yellow star thistle is what we have here too and it is almost impossible to get rid of! Nasty stuff to say the least. Between that and the possibility of blister beetles in hay it is getting scary.

Hi Ray,

Wow... your mom lives close by you say. Yes it would be great if you could come for a visit sometime. I'm sure we will have a few horsies for you to look at and if you are brave a few to try out for the first time laugh.gif

Do you want me to keep the paint mare up and ready for your visit??? tongue.gif

Judi

+Quote Post
2mntn
post Aug 21 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #11

Gold Member
Group Icon

Hi Judi,

About the paint - let her go if she feels it's her time...no need to keep her hanging on just for me. wink.gif laugh.gif

Ray

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 06:16
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.