This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Watch Out For Rattlers, Warning
carolmaginn
post Oct 14 2008, 02:00 AM
Post #1

Gold Member
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 913

To my fellow Southerners,

Last night as I was about to go turn off the water after feeding I reached down to turn off the spigot and I heard a very distinct sound - the sound of a rattlesnake. I've become relaxed and even though I know there are rattlers here - I had not seen one in about 2 months so I kind of figured the season was over. Anyway there is a hole where our spigot is that was left there by the men who fixed the pipes and we kept meaning to fill in that hole but never got around to it. When I reached down I must have scared the snake who started rattling. Thank God they rattle so loudly. Anyone who has heard that noise knows what I mean. So I ran in and got my husband who killed the snake with his 12 gauge. My neighbor was all excited as he likes to collect the rattles and eat the meat said he would come right over and get the killed snake. He asked me to go make sure the body was still in tact....

As I went back to check for the body - guess what was coming out of that hole? ANOTHER big rattlesnake! I couldn't not believe it! I tried to scare it so it would stop and freeze in place as they normally do, but it just kept going into the cactus patch. That cactus patch is going to demolished as soon as I get home from Jordan next week if not sooner.

Anyway first I was thinking about how blessed I am that that rattlesnake (neither of them) bit me. If you have ever seen what someone's hand and arm looks like after being bitten you know why I say that. Some folks have lost feeling due to nerve damage.

I really wanted to tell everyone - especially those out in the country - DO NOT get complacent. DO NOT go out in sneakers, and DO bring your flashlight out side at night. AND - beware of any holes or water spigots. This is the third rattle snake I've found coiled up under a water spigot.

Be safe...

Carol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Oct 14 2008, 02:07 AM
Post #2

Gold Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2799

Also remember that the fangs are still poisonous after they are dead. So be careful handling dead venomous snakes.
They are tasty though and make great boots.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
ShadoWind
post Oct 14 2008, 02:18 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6896

QUOTE (Cheryl L @ Oct 14 2008, 03:07 AM)
Also remember that the fangs are still poisonous after they are dead. So be careful handling dead venomous snakes.
They are tasty though and make great boots.
Cheryl

Cheryl
Tastes like chicken?? ohmy.gif blink.gif laugh.gif

Not me , man...I wouldn't even be able to TOUCH let alone EAT it. unsure.gif

biggrin.gif Jakki

+Quote Post
Carol Cooper-Hal...
post Oct 14 2008, 02:20 AM
Post #4

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2995

Oh my goodness, Carol, thank God you were not bit. ohmy.gif And Cheryl is correct "... that the fangs are still poisonous after they are dead. So be careful handling dead venomous snakes." I found the following photo when I googled Texas rattlesnakes and was shocked at the size of that sucker... jeez louise... they grow em BIG in Texas!! ohmy.gif
I actually bought the book "Texas Snakes A Field Guide" a while ago since we have our mare in Texas, just so I could be more aware! wink.gif
Carol

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Oct 14 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #5

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2799

Actually, yes, a bit like chicken. A bit tougher though.
Cheryl

+Quote Post
carolmaginn
post Oct 14 2008, 02:29 AM
Post #6

Gold Member
Group Icon

Carol,

This snake looked to be about 5 feet long and about 3 inches in diameter - it was just nasty! I really just hate rattlesnakes. I like all other snakes and reptiles. When I was a kid I had a pet boa constrictor - named Mrs. Boa... But rattlers are just plain scary.. But its odd how people seem to like to collect their rattles...

The one that man is holding is amazingly in perfect shape... I wonder how it was killed...

You know I think that on some days we are blessed and don't even know it - but last night - I KNEW IT... I felt very protected...

Carol

+Quote Post
Carol Cooper-Hal...
post Oct 14 2008, 02:34 AM
Post #7

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2995

I agree with you, Carol, your Guardian Angel was walking with you that night!!! smile.gif
Much love,
Carol

+Quote Post
Liz Salmon
post Oct 14 2008, 02:53 AM
Post #8

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 94

Glad you missed that one Carol, but don't miss your flight tomorrow !! We'll celebrate our impending trip to Jordan—the drinks are on me !!

+Quote Post
carolmaginn
post Oct 14 2008, 03:05 AM
Post #9

Gold Member
Group Icon

Liz,

You know me TOOOOO well. I will try to make it to the church on time! Tee Hee!!

Were off on the road to Morocco (I mean Jordan)...

For all of you who never know what the heck I'm singing about here is the song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpbLJvdXFww

You have got to substitute the world "Jordan" for "Morocco"

AND - we have got to change the words like wierd al Jankovitz...

I LOVED this movie when I was a kid! Has no one ever seen it but me???

and Liz - I am DYING to ride a camel...

Carol

QUOTE (Liz Salmon @ Oct 13 2008, 09:53 PM)
Glad you missed that one Carol, but don't miss your flight tomorrow  !! We'll celebrate our impending trip to Jordan—the drinks are on me  !!

+Quote Post
2mntn
post Oct 14 2008, 03:17 AM
Post #10

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 4862

Where the heck are the Animal Planet guys when you need 'em? Aren't there any folks around who would come out and haul the snakes off to the country? Or is there no "country" left out there?

Ray huh.gif

+Quote Post
carolmaginn
post Oct 14 2008, 03:24 AM
Post #11

Gold Member
Group Icon

Ray - I think this IS the country! That is the problem... Crikies Mate! Hey look what happened to that poor guy!

We also have coyotes and this morning on the way to work one crossed the road in broad daylight. I stopped the car to look at him and he didn't even run away! I swear if I had some dog food he would have come right up... I hate the coyotes because they have taken 2 of my cats. My husband is so aggravated because we can see packs of them out in our pasture jumping around and barking like they are having a party or something, but its too far away to shoot them with a shotgun. Now don't get me wrong - I do love animals, but when they kill your cats - its hard to love them.

Tonight when I came home Mr. big giant skunk was in the driveway again... Only thank goodness the dogs didn't find Mr. skunk AGAIN or I'd be up all night washing them! I would be too tired to make my plane!

The country has its great things like the big herons in the morning in the pond, and the giant jack rabbits, and huge owls, and some really cool Cara Caras but I guess you have to take the good with the bad right!

Carol

QUOTE (2mntn @ Oct 13 2008, 10:17 PM)
Where the heck are the Animal Planet guys when you need 'em?  Aren't there any folks around who would come out and haul the snakes off to the country?  Or is there no "country" left out there?

Ray  huh.gif

+Quote Post
lynnbrook
post Oct 14 2008, 04:29 AM
Post #12

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1468

Carol,
The Texas animals are moving east. We have Armidillo (sp ?)here in southern middle TN only problem is I am yet to see one alive.

Wasn't there a thread on here last yr about the wildlife on our farms ?

Donna

+Quote Post
Liz Salmon
post Oct 14 2008, 11:40 AM
Post #13

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 94

It was a long time before I saw a live Armadillo when I came to Texas, mostly they were freeway pizzas !!

+Quote Post
Razgold
post Oct 14 2008, 01:52 PM
Post #14

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2073

I've seen a couple of armidillos here and snakes. No rattlers yet although there are supposed to be here. The gamewarden found a dead timber rattler on the road one day. I've seen mainly chicken snakes and one hog snake. And we had a snake in the pond one day.

We have coyotes and wild hogs. I was feeding the mares in the bottom pasture a couple of weeks ago and could hear them in the pasture across the road from. I watch them come out of the bush cross the road and come into our pasture. I counted at least 17 of them. Lots of deer in the back pasture. I counted 7 bucks one night.

What's a Cara Cara? I hear Whipper Wheels (sp) at night in the spring. Not seen one though. The dog got skunked a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Now that's nasty. tongue.gif

Sue

+Quote Post
Razgold
post Oct 14 2008, 01:52 PM
Post #15

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 2073

I've seen a couple of armidillos here and snakes. No rattlers yet although there are supposed to be here. The gamewarden found a dead timber rattler on the road one day. I've seen mainly chicken snakes and one hog snake. And we had a snake in the pond one day.

We have coyotes and wild hogs. I was feeding the mares in the bottom pasture a couple of weeks ago and could hear them in the pasture across the road from. I watch them come out of the bush cross the road and come into our pasture. I counted at least 17 of them. Lots of deer in the back pasture. I counted 7 bucks one night.

What's a Cara Cara? I hear Whipper Wheels (sp) at night in the spring. Not seen one though. The dog got skunked a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Now that's nasty. tongue.gif

Sue
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 06:12
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.