This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Great New Halter, How to stop traffic
LMG
post Dec 27 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2551

I recently bought myself a present, since I know what I want and outside of a forty pound box of See's chocolates (which is not on my list of acceptable Weight Watcher occasional treats) there are few in my family who would think that a new halter would be an acceptable gift.

But, I ordered and received, just before Christmas, a Monty Roberts Halter and I can guarantee that it was worth every penny.

It rained like a son-of-a-gun, here on the Central Coast (Orca Weather) and I had to move two mares out of an arena and into dry paddocks with shelters. The ground was just at that transition stage - between various sized soil particles and quicksand - and one of the mares, who might, had she been a human being, would have been akin to either Paris Hilton or Britney Spears for attention getting behavior - and who pushes 15.2 to 15.3, when all four feet are on the ground, needed to make the catwalk trip from arena to paddock.

Since I am nearly 69 years of age, and my helper is 69 years of age, (and whose major contribution needs to be limited to: "OPEN THE GATE, WE'RE COMING THROUGH!" due to his hip replacement,) I am always on the lookout for the device which might equilize the relationship between man (or woman) and horse whose attitude is more like a helium filled balloon, than that of a domestic animal.

After haltering the mare, and the gate thrown opened so we could be on center stage, we glided (or was it slip slided) through, beautiful red halter in place and at least one horse hoof on the ground at all times, on our way to the paddock and a couple of cars of tourists, fresh from the wineries, parked along the road, thinking this was part of the attraction of the wine country - where the performance ended, everyone in one piece and the wonderful attention getting device worth every shekel.

So, while this is not a commercial endorsement, I would like to say to the designer of this halter; I thank you, my horse thanks you and my orthopedist thanks you.

LMG
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ralph
post Dec 27 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #2

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 548

I know better than to eat lunch while opening ANY thread authored by you. I live alone and unfortunately don't have someone ready and able, on a moment's notice, to administer the Heimlich maneuver.

smile.gif Thank you so much for this and I know the halter of which you speak, its the Dually, right?

Ralph

+Quote Post
Chiron
post Dec 27 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #3

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1263

AAHH,the mental image ohmy.gif
But where are the pictures unsure.gif
Toss the Orcas a bit of a snack from their So Cal freinds cool.gif

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Dec 27 2008, 05:46 PM
Post #4

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

Soooo, Lorriee....what's the principle behind this halter ??? I am not familiar with it.
Cathy

+Quote Post
LMG
post Dec 27 2008, 05:46 PM
Post #5

Advanced Senior Member

Yup, it's the Dulley.

LMG

+Quote Post
LMG
post Dec 27 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #6

Advanced Senior Member

I spelled it wrong, it is the way Ralph spelled it.

Lorriee

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Dec 27 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #7

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2799

This is the halter that Lorriee was talking about:

http://www.montyroberts.com/shop_tack_training.html

Cheryl

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Dec 27 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #8

Gold Member
Group Icon

Thanks, Cheryl.
Cathy

+Quote Post
LMG
post Dec 28 2008, 03:56 AM
Post #9

Advanced Senior Member

Cathy:

Look at the site. I first saw this halter on RFDTV about four years ago, during one of his TV presentations. I can't tie the halters that have to be run through a loop on the cheek strap, due to arthritiis in some of my joints, (no, in most of my joints, except my jaw because I exercise it so much), so thought I'd try this one.

It's really excellant - I'll let you know when I use it on a five year old that I taught to lead, using a figure 8 butt/chest rope, and never got around to just putting a halter on and off except for the look of the thing.

I think this will be where I understand the phrase "cowboy up!"

LMG

+Quote Post
kay cochran
post Dec 28 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #10

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 10644

I've got to get one of those halters! My husbands Quarter horses have no respect. I miss my RFDTV. That was one of my favorite channels. I loved the lady who trained the draft horses. Loved Monty Roberts. It's my husbands fault for us not getting RFDTV, he went on an economy kick and canceled our big channel subscription. I noticed he kept all those channels that have the sports channels. JK

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Dec 28 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #11

Gold Member
Group Icon

The satelite package here does not include RFDTV either.....what a RIP !!!
Lorriee...do be careful with the five year old........last time I "cowboyed up " I wound up with a mouth full of mud and a permanent divot in my shin bone..........

Cathy

+Quote Post
LMG
post Dec 28 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #12

Advanced Senior Member

Kay, I think you will love the halter.

Cathy: My idea of cowboying up, takes days, if not weeks and I always make sure that there is someone around, whose cell phone has sufficient bars to contact 911.

I think that the access, at least for several years to television shows by Monty Roberts, Chris Cox, Clinton Anderson, and many others was a wonderful opportunity for those who are new to horse ownership to learn to handle the horse from the ground, teach it manners and to recognize when a horse was just too much for them and to consider the old adage that a green horse and a green owner makes for green stick fractures. (actually, I just made that up.)

I had a filly, who is still with me after some twenty years, who couldn't learn to walk through a gate, door or any opening, without a final rush. I worked with her and did everything correctly and by the time, she was three, she still wanted to rush through an opening.

One day, my cow horse trainer, came to get her to start her on her cow horse career. I handed her over to him, and cautioned, as he was walking towards his trailer, be careful, she wants to rush into or out of openings.

"Don't worry about it..." he said, just before she knocked him sidewise on the way to jump into the trailer.

She went on to become a blue ribbon winning cow horse, top ten cow horse at Scottsdale and now, as an elderly mare, when taking her in and out of a gate, I just stand aside and let her either leap out or leap in. There are some horses for whom there is a bit of a gray matter missing, and nothing, not even age, seems to add wisdom.

LMG

+Quote Post
CenturyOak
post Dec 29 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #13

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1019

I've been using a modification similar to this for years smile.gif all it takes is a bit of MCR (mountain climbing rope, a snap on one end and a ring on the other. Same principle as a chain across the nose and set up exactly the same exept using a rope that is much easier on a nose that doesn't necessarily need the harshness of a chain. A Be-Nice Halter is an awesome tool for any tackroom as well smile.gif

Glad this one worked so well for you.. that "OPEN THE GATE! WE'RE COMIN' THROUGH!!!" sounds all too familiar ph34r.gif

Edited to add:
Actually the gate reminds me of a discussion (for lack of a better word) I had with Jasoor a few months ago when he connected roundpen = work. He decided he wasn''t going through the round pen gate which is just a standard 4' gate. Now normally this wouldn't be a problem, but that day fighting with a boisterous 5 year old stallion who was feeling wayy too much machismo just was not on my agenda (I checked!) and after a couple of minutes of me asking and him refusing and both of us getting more aggravated by the moment... I lucked up and the husband walked out. He took one look at me sweating in the 95+ degree heat and turned for the house (he's not a horse person laugh.gif ) and I hollered at him to c'mere.. I got a job for you. I had him disconnect one of the round pen panels so we now had a 12' gate to waltz through and in Jasoor's protests that he weren't goin' in that gate mom...he sidestepped and backed right into the spot I wanted him in to begin with and hubby shut the round pen panel.. voila... horse in roundpen = work!!

The look on Jasoor's expression was priceless unsure.gif dry.gif He knew he'd been snookered and he sulked for a good day or two (hubby not so much with a cold beer in his hand later).... but he's never refused to go back through that gate since. Maybe he figured out if he doesn't the round pen will just open up and consume him anyway? laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
LMG
post Dec 30 2008, 07:44 AM
Post #14

Advanced Senior Member

That's one of the benefits of round pens which have the easily dismantled drop bar and chain to attach to the keeper in the next panel. I've been there and done that also - after alll these years, I am a believer in doing that which is easiest as long as it works.

My original training in classical riding had a heck of a lot of sit astride, with no hands of the horse and no feet in the stirrups and let another determine the gait and speed of your mount. Today, I now want a battery operated horse, with a downshift gear on the saddle.

LMG

+Quote Post
Helga
post Dec 30 2008, 09:59 AM
Post #15

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 20

LMG,

Your post just cracked me up - Centuryoak, yours did too! I can just imagine it all in my head - you have a really funny way of describing things biggrin.gif

I have a dually halter also and am loving it. smile.gif

Best wishes,
Helga Madsen
Denmark

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 01:13
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.