This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shipping Horses Overseas, General condition question
Kimberli Nelson
post Jan 9 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

I am going to be shipping two young mares to Europe and I am concerned about their trip. A friend of mine has sent two, a young mare and stallion. When they left her farm they were in terrific condition. After spending 30 something days in quarantine then the flight, they arrived at their destination in absolutely horrible condition. They were very thin, back bones sticking out along with the hip bones. The mare looked like her front legs are coming out of the same hole in her chest. They both were so skinny and horrible looking it was scary.

My question for all of you that have sent or received horses from the USA is what condition did you receive them in? Is it natural that this trip would be so hard on them that they would lose 100 pounds and condition? I can post a before and after photo of the mare if you need to see it but believe me when I say I would have been horrified had I bought a good horse and have it arrive in starving condition.

Please tell me your stories.

Kimberli
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sarihakhan
post Jan 9 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13737

Hi Kimberly,
We bought our colt from the US and had him shipped to Australia. The company that did it looked after him well. They emailed us a photo taken of him the day he arrived at the quarantine station. Then when we picked him up from the quarantine station in Melbourne he was in good condition.

I am sorry to hear about your horses. I have heard some horror stories of horses getting very sick and of lasting effects even after they arrive at their destination. Before we imported Akid we had no idea of any of it. Akid arrived and settled in pretty quick. It was like he'd come from another Australian state rather than half way across the world.

Regards,
Maria Daraio
Dara Park

+Quote Post
Liz Salmon
post Jan 9 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #3

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 94

Kimberli, that is not normal and would have happened in the quarantine centre. It is normal for them to tuck up and lose a little weight on the journey, but not in quarantine. I have used several excellent quarantine centres and the horses have arrived in good shape. Everyone needs to get references for quarantine centres before sending horses to one.

+Quote Post
Clothilde
post Jan 9 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1120

My 4 horses were in excellent condition at arrival, they were at Nedpoint in OK.
they also took a rest in Amsterdam when they arrive and went in France the second day.

+Quote Post
Liz Salmon
post Jan 10 2009, 01:12 AM
Post #5

Gold Member
Group Icon

Nedpoint is an excellent facility. I've been there to see it for myself.

+Quote Post
Arabian Stud Eur...
post Jan 10 2009, 08:19 AM
Post #6

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 312

My mare was 6 months pregnant and arrived in a perfect condition from the states! Not loose weight at all and after a few days it was like she had been here all her life!
I think it also depends on the horse's nature and to the fact is which condition they are put on the flight in the first place.

Regards,
Talitha

+Quote Post
laurence of arab...
post Jan 10 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20343

The first stallion I imported from the US was in really great shape.
The second stallion imported from the US and same quarantine was even too fat !(but the previous owner smartly recommended he bought his food prior and that it travelled with him).

To be on the safe side, for the next imports, we will do the same: purchase and deliver their usual food to the quarantine.

The mare I received from the same quarantine was in poor condition but from seeing the 3 individuals now, it may also be a much more sensitive indivudual. I could see the horses at the airport who shared the same quarantine, and they were anything but miserable.

I agree with Clo that a night's rest after landing at the airport equine facility is a very good option. First of all, the horse is not separated right after the flight from his quarantine companions, and it also helps them rest their legs before the road trip.

The psychological aspect of it as I see it is really key for the physiological.
Some are more sensitive than others...

Therefore I am tempted to forecast my next imports as pairs. The horses can get to leave their home with a known companion and spend the quarantine with her and go through this experience probably with less stress...Which means also getting these horses to be together a long time before they travel at the breeder's side.

+Quote Post
laurence of arab...
post Jan 10 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20343

QUOTE (Arabian Stud Europe @ Jan 10 2009, 09:19 AM)
My mare was 6 months pregnant and arrived in a perfect condition from the states! Not loose weight at all and after a few days it was like she had been here all her life!
I think it also depends on the horse's nature and to the fact is which condition they are put on the flight in the first place.

Regards,
Talitha

I agree with you about the flight conditions. How they are embarqued...it is a scary small and dark box... One more reason I tend to agree is that this particular mare really had a hard time getting into the van (whereas at her breeder (and a week later as well) she did embark very well. She sweated so much she was dripping ... ohmy.gif

AlsoI have been reading that having theri heads up like this during the flight can really cause respiratory problems.

Anyone shipped by boat and was happy about it???

+Quote Post
Pashon2001
post Jan 10 2009, 09:04 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1996

I have shipped 5 from the US to the UK. All bar one arrived in excellent condition. The one that didnt was a poor loader/traveller and I was expecting her to lose condition as she dropped seriously on her cross country trip to the breeding station so a flight was sure to stress her more. The shipper I used keeps in constant contact and tells me of any problems.
PS by the way one of the 5 was a fairly unhandled 6 month old recently weaned foal and she arrived in excellent condition!

+Quote Post
Kimberli Nelson
post Jan 11 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #10

Advanced Senior Member

Thanks Everyone. I am worried about this. I hate to send two darlings to a facility where they are not taken care of or ever get out of a small stall for 30 days. These two have never been kept in a stall, they have been outside their whole lives and they would not understand it. They are used to love and freedom, are well fed and cared for. If they arrive at their destination in poor condition I am likely to come unglued.

There are several quarantine facilities out there, some are cheaper than others but does the are of the horses suffer because of price? Would it be possible for those who have had shipments that arrived in great condition to give us the contact information for the facility who gave such great care?

Thank you again, it is good to know that skinny is not the norm.

+Quote Post
SKM
post Jan 11 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4984

It would be sensible and a kindness to get your 2 horses used to being stabled before they go into quarantine so it's not too much of a shock to their system. Just start with a short period per day and extend it.

+Quote Post
Liz Salmon
post Jan 11 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #12

Gold Member
Group Icon

Kimberli, if you email me liz@lizsalmon.com I will give you some contacts of shippers I have used. However, it's the buyer who will make the decision on the shipper, but you can recommend ones with good references. Horses generally fly out of LA, New York, Atlanta and Houston. I am using a great facility here in Texas who are reasonably priced and they are a couple of hours from Houston. They do everything including collecting the horse from the farm. I see you are in Arizona. Nedpoint in Oklahoma also flies out of Houston and I've used a very good one in Atlanta too.

+Quote Post
Charlei
post Jan 11 2009, 08:29 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18881

Hi

Have you thought about quaratining (sp) them yourself. The breeders of my filly who live in the States (Georgia) and shipped to North Wales did this for us and it worked really well.

Michaela

+Quote Post
Kimberli Nelson
post Jan 11 2009, 09:46 PM
Post #14

Advanced Senior Member

QUOTE (Charlei @ Jan 11 2009, 09:29 PM)
Hi

Have you thought about quaratining (sp) them yourself.  The breeders of my filly who live in the States (Georgia) and shipped to North Wales did this for us and it worked really well. 

Michaela

What a wonderful idea.... How does one go about this?

+Quote Post
Liz Salmon
post Jan 11 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #15

Gold Member
Group Icon

Yes of course it can be done, but it has to be done under the rules of the USDA who has to inspect the premises.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 01:45
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.