This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shipping Horses Overseas, General condition question
anitae
post Jan 12 2009, 12:32 AM
Post #16

Advanced Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1964

Kimberli,
I sent a young mare (4 years) and young stud (3 years) to Germany, via quarantine in LA.
No problems. Both had been pasture-only horses their whole lives. I put them in stalls at night for a few nights before shipping them off to quarantine. They did well and arrived in good shape.

The shipper arranged the quarantine and stood behind the reputation of the quarantine facility.

Anita
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Charlei
post Jan 12 2009, 07:56 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18881

Hi Kimberlie

If you would like me to pass on the details from whom i bought my filly, i am sure after getting their permission, they would explain how it works. It really worked well for us both and my filly, who arrived with no problems and in excellent condition.

I suppose it just depends on your set up really, hope things go well for your horses. You would be surprised at how well they travel and those flying grooms are excellent.

Michaela

+Quote Post
laurence of arab...
post Jan 12 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20343

QUOTE (Clothilde @ Jan 9 2009, 10:53 PM)
My 4 horses were in excellent condition at arrival, they were at Nedpoint in OK.
they also took a rest in Amsterdam when they arrive and went in France the second day.

and the two recently imported horses you sold to Catherine went throught teh same quarantine I am using and were absolutely fine...
She told me she is shipping her pregnant mare through them too...

+Quote Post
laurence of arab...
post Jan 12 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20343

QUOTE (Charlei @ Jan 12 2009, 08:56 AM)
Hi Kimberlie

If you would like me to pass on the details from whom i bought my filly, i am sure after getting their permission, they would explain how it works.  It really worked well for us both and my filly, who arrived with no problems and in excellent condition.

I suppose it just depends on your set up really, hope things go well for your horses.  You would be surprised at how well they travel and those flying grooms are excellent.

Michaela

I would love to get that thread too!
Thansk, Laurence

+Quote Post
Liz Salmon
post Jan 12 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #20

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 94

That particular filly flew out of Atlanta directly to the UK after she had finished quarantine. It was clients of mine that did the quarantine. They have a small farm which I believe they are now selling as well as their last few horses, because of retirement. I think that the premises first of all have to be inspected by USDA, and the horse has to be kept 30 yards from any other horses and then get certain blood work done. I think that the inspectors are likely to turn up at any time during the 30 days. The shipping company did the rest of the paper work and I think she was with them for a couple of days before being shipped.

The other 2 horses that went to Michaela did their quarantine in a centre recommended by the shippers in Atlanta. One was a stallion which the clients could not take for quarantine.

+Quote Post
HLM
post Jan 12 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #21

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 192

Yes Liz, that's correct. Anybody can have their horses quar5antined on their premises, provided the premises meet the USDA requirements.

We are a private quarantine- USDA Florida- and always quarantien and ship our horses from here, flying with them. The advantage is that they have their stall and a large run-out, therefore do not have to stand in a stall for all that time. that makes a tremendous difference, mentally and physically.

Thgese facilities you speak of in Texas are excellent according to various
reports I have. But so are some in Miami- for the 30 day quarantine-. Prices differ from place to place. When some pay $ 20,00 for a bale of hay versa $ 8.00
it does make a difference. Also on other things.

the higest rates are those for those hours before shipping. The can be anywhere between $ 125.- to $ 270.00 per horse for a 24hour time as we have experienced..

Of course then one needs to consider the transport from seller to quarantine,airport,etc. and that again can differ substantially.

It is wise to inspect the quarantines, if possible or get a report from those who used them.

If anybody needs assistance, please contact me under 351-481-4254 and I help all I can.There is no charge for this.

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
sidjesidi
post Jan 22 2009, 04:42 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2211

Hello Kimberli,

I realize I wrote to your private e-mail regarding shipping horses, but maybe I should write a quick note regarding this to the public.

We have shipped horses overseas over the last 30 years, but the most recent shipping was between 2003 and 2007. This was both coming and going with horses. I would NEVER ship a horse without being with them the entire time - though it is nearly impossible to be with them 100% of the time, we INSISTED on being by their side during the flight, during the road travel, and while in quarantine. Believe me, this is not easy, but we checked prices and told them we could not leave them, so some places were able to work with us. Even when in quarantine in Madrid, Spain, we were able to be with our four horses, and work them while they were in quarantine. Though the quarantine ranch did not like us there, we had to go track down grain and feed, which we drove over two hours to find every few days, and also cleaned our horses stalls ourselves. We did not care how much sleep we lost during this important time of our horses lives, as they are family to us! And believe me, there were a couple of horses that were in quarantine who I know would have never lived if we hadn't helped them during their stressful time......

I wish you happiness and luck in your adventure with the horses flying overseas. But please, make sure someone who the horse can trust and knows be by their side as much as possible during this time of their life. Also, water is so important while flying, and in the road travels and in quarantine spots, so make sure they are offered this quite often during their travels.

Terry Polk
www.losacres.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 07:57
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.