This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Imperial Imdal Article, Favourite Imdal Get?
idan atiq
post Feb 4 2004, 07:29 AM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 64

Dear Oliver,
We would like to congratulate you on your article about Imperial Imdal. It is beautifully done, and it truly communicates Imdal's uniqueness as a first class individual and his priceless legacy as a sire.
Imdal was indeed "the Nazeer of Israel" and we hope to send you in the near future a survey of his progeny and their accomplishments in our country.
The sons and daughters that Imdal left in Israel that have competed in Europe have put our country "on the map" as first class Arabian breeders. We have much to be grateful for and we would like to express both our thanks and condolences to all those who brought Imdal into the world, made his career, and blessed our country with his presence. And our thanks to you, Oliver, for helping the reader "meet" Imdal.

Among the Imdal progeny in Israel, are of course the lesser famous....Our own Imdal son Elan Imperial (out of *MB Alina) - a young sire now in race training, sired his first four foals in 2003 out of four totally unrelated mares....the results were three fillies and a colt, each one an improvement on his/her dam, and each with that broad forehead, wonderfully expressive eye, tiny tipped ears, excellent conformation and overally quality that recalls the best of Imperial Imdal.
When all is said and done Imdal has truly proven himself a sire of sires around the world, and all Arabian breeders in Israel know that there never will be another Imdal.

Thank you again for a lovely Portrait.

Tzviah Idan and Kuti Aharon
Idan Atiq Arabian Stud
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adrian
post Feb 4 2004, 09:56 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1166

When I read the article I remembered my first encounter with Imperial Imdal. It was in Paris at the Salon du Cheval and it was the first time for me I saw an American show horse. To be precise I saw THREE of them at the same event as Imdal was accompanied by two of his stablemates: His half siblings Imperial Im Tarib who was en route to Morocco and Imperial Phanilah.
All three horses had heavy make-up on and were body clipped which was unusual at that time in Europe. They looked almost unreal and at first glance I didn't know where to put them. They did everything their handlers asked in a very obedient and threatened way and acted more like robots than horses. After their first appearance I followed them back to their stalls but you could not have a look because they had many people there who carefully watched that no-one had a look into the stalls. I asked Imdal's handler Steve Dady to look at the stallion and surprisingly he showed him to me without that meke-up and all the glitter. Here he stood, a normal horse right in front of me and looked far more beautiful than in the ring. More relaxed, more natural, his very own beauty was there to see for me. Under all this make-up slept a wonderfully beautiful horse! The next time he appeared in the ring I cheered for him. His stablemate Imperial Im Tarib, a chestnut, extreme beautiful horse was his competitor and Im Tarib managed to beat Imdal in the so-called "International Show". Next was the "World Championship" where Imdal rightfully took his place as the champion stallion. And there it happened, both stallions awoke and transformed from robots into fiery horses. They stood back to back and their handlers watched not carefully enough and suddenly both stallions kicked out, reared and trumpeted to each other. Even this was a dangerous situation I watched in awe as both looked more beautiful as ever before. I will never forget this picture!

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Feb 4 2004, 12:46 PM
Post #3

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Why not join in and share your personal experiences
with Imperial Imdal here with us all? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Babs
post Feb 4 2004, 01:10 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 71

I saw him win at the Egyptian Event. It was a great show with a friendly atmosphere and not one stallion could hold against Imdal. It was obvious that he was going to win Supreme honors against all others. He was near perfection and well-balanced in every way. He had quality written all over his body. I liked him a lot but some of his sons are even superior to him. VA Sirius is just perfect in my eyes.

+Quote Post
ema
post Feb 4 2004, 01:56 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 15

When I first saw him, he was standing quietly in a huge foaling stall. Just another new horse at Chapel Farms... or was he something special. There was a quality about him that went beyond good conformation and all the normal stuff we look for in a horse. Then I found out who he was, and Chris led him out for me to see. I was smitten, completely and forever. He was not posed for me... he just stood and looked over his world with confidence and the certainty that we should understand the king had come to Georgia! I never got to see him show, but I was able to get to know the horse and fall completely under the spell of a truly great stallion smile.gif

I had bought a mare, an Imdal daughter, a couple of years before... and she stole my heart. She is sassy, and bold and sure of herself and beautiful. There is an inner quality about her that just nearly glows and I have seen people come to my small farm to enjoy an Arabian horse visit... and they forget all the others when they see her. When I met Imdal, I found out that this wonderful quality in my mare flowed from her sire.

I have seen Imdal at the Event in the Stallion Presentation, at home in his relax time, at Open Houses and I can tell you that he is the first horse in many, many years to bring me to tears with his beauty and presence! Now I have 3 Imdal daughters, a grand daughter and a grandson, and they all have that specialness (the daughters more than the grandchildren, but it is there!)! He solidified my focus as a breeder. There are many fine horses out there with beautiful conformation and much quality.. but if I can have that kind of ethereal beauty and presence... well, that's what I just HAVE to have smile.gif I am currently raising the next to last foal sired by Imdal, and she is out of my Imdal grand-daughter smile.gif

Julia

+Quote Post
Tim Feurig
post Feb 4 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1134

It is wonderful to read your personal Imdal memories and comments. Please go on! biggrin.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
dahncer
post Feb 4 2004, 04:52 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 685

Hi all..I can only add to Julia's post how very special this stallion was..and the fact that every time I visited at Chapel Farms, I went into this magnificent creature's stall and put my arms around his neck.

He was a truly beautiful stallion, and loved being loved on..he always let me whisper sweet nothings into his ears, and I loved doing it!!

I have also visited a few times, when all the "guys" were being shown, and if ever there was a more etheral sight..it was when they were all standing together, and you could just see the radiance exuding from Imdal! Too wonderful for words!!!!

I waited too long to acquire a breeding to him, one of my deepest regrets since becoming a breeder, and I haven't visited Chapel Farms since his passing...I wonder what I will do.

He will truly be missed, especially by me.

+Quote Post
Laurie
post Feb 4 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 675

biggrin.gif Since it is quite obvious that we all loved Imperial Imdal, and rightly so...which of his sons (or daughters) was your absolute favorite, and why? Which of his sons do you believe is producing the best, and why do you think that is? (Which dam lines did it seem to you he crossed the best with?)

What a lovely horse and a lovely way to remember him...through his legacy of great sons and daughters!!!!
Laurie

+Quote Post
Ralph
post Feb 4 2004, 06:32 PM
Post #9

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 548

As has been well said here (Great job Tzviah, you "wordsmith" you smile.gif ), this is a tremendous article (geezus, what a horse he was) and if an enthusiast was not really sure of the influence that Imdal has had, they would certainly leave this site with a great appreciation for all that Imdal has accomplished. Thank you Oliver, another job well done smile.gif

Julia, that is impressive. This horse made such an impact on you, that your breeding program is significantly Imdal-influenced. WOW!

Laurie, that is a great suggestion...and for me, the most exciting Imdal son has to be Laheeb, since he was the first straight Egyptian stallion used in Poland (and the sire of the beautiful Al Lahab, who will be with Om El Arab International in California, USA smile.gif ). Not to mention the courage this horse had in dealing with an injury that may have threatened the life of another horse. Just everything about Laheeb, leaves a person marveling about him. I know I have found myself "deep in thought" after reading his stories and seeing his photographs. Since Laheeb is a total outcross for the Polish horses, what is the extent of the Imdal influence in Poland? How will the next generation be used? In the NEW POLISH FOAL thread, I had asked Dick Reed this question, to which he replied:

Laheeb has had a significant impact because the numbers were large and the quality is high. SIKLAWA (Laheeb X Siewka by Eldon) is an excellent example. She was Reserve Junior Champion Filly in 2003. The oldest Laheebs were three last year and were at the race track. The real test will be in 2004 when they return and are shown in Poland and Internationally.

It will be interesting as we all watch the developing influence of Imdal in Poland. I can't wait. smile.gif

Ralph

+Quote Post
ema
post Feb 4 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 15

My favorite Imdal offspring... gosh, that could be any number of show horses, from my own stallion to quite a few others I could name... (Shahir IASB, Hawkeye, Shahdal, Hadaya El Tareef and many of those Imdal offspring that have been pictured on this site). The stallions are impressive. The mares are beautiful.

But my favorite is a mare named Imajaz. She has not been shown in a long time. She is not a dressage queen or a performance horse in the sense that is written about on the internet so often. BUT, she is a real beauty and my favorite riding mount. I have seen her (needing a brushing and a haircut) stop people in their tracks when they come to my little farm. I have been on her back on the side of a mountain where we got off the trail and had to go 100 feet of what I thought was nearly straight up!! Happily, she put her head down and climbed, not thinking anything about the difficulty of what we were doing. I thought about it, and wondered if I should let her alone or try to turn back. I left her alone!

She does not step in puddles.... but there is no fear... just a prissy aversion to that nasty ole goopy stuff. I see her do exactly the same way at home when it has rained and it is muddy. How she can maneuver her feet and body to NOT step in the mud is beyond me, but she does it!

The presence of this mare is something as special as the rest of her personality!

I was able to purchase her as a pet mare, since she had not ever gotten in foal in 6 years of trying. She and I must have clicked, or it was just her time to begin to produce as she has now had 2 beautiful babies, neither of which I will ever get to show because one (the first one) has been sold, and the other sadly broke a leg at 2 1/2 months of age and had to be put down... but she will be bred again this year smile.gif What's her pedigree?? She is an Imdal daughter out of a Prince Ibn Shaikh daughter.

If I live another 60 years and have all the funds I want to buy the best mares available... I will never be fortunate enough to have another Jazzy smile.gif

Here is a picture... she needed a bath... but it was too cold for that!

Here is that pretty second foal (by Zandai Abu Zeidan) who would have been a fine show colt!

This one is her first baby... he was nearly 2 years old in this picture. We called him "The Brat" as he was quite the little mischief maker!!

+Quote Post
Hananfan
post Feb 5 2004, 06:08 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 908

I first learned about Imdal when I got my colt who is by Hadaya El Tareef and out of an Imdal daughter. I spent quite a bit of time looking up his ancestors on the internet, but one that really drew my interest was imdal. Then in 2001, I got to see him for the first time at the Egyptian Event. It was during the stallion presentation and this magnificent stallion enters and everyone jumps to their feet, screaming and clapping! This was my first introduction to Imdal. Later I went by the stalls and I got to see Imdal and Tareef up close and personal. Of course during the second stallion presentation, Imdal still drew the biggest screams. I will never forget him, how he looked and what a big influence he has made to me and the world. smile.gif

Katrina

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_Blue Pyramid_*
post Feb 5 2004, 10:38 AM
Post #12

Guests

I remember phoning Barbara Griffith to ask her about breeding my mare to Imdal. It was just a few days before he was being shipped to Israel and I was heart broken at missing the opportunity. After his return to the U.S., I didn't have a mare for him, but after searching for his sons, found Shahdal. I bought one of hShahdal's daughters, Shahloura, who reflects that famous personality and beauty. I liked her so much, I bought her mother, in foal to Shahdal and got a colt that surpassed his sister in beauty. I think if he hadn't been lost in a freak accident, he would have been another great Imdal grandson. He was 15 months in this picture and was already 15 hands. So I have to pick Shahdal as my favorite Imdal son because I have had the great fortune of living with descendants of greatness.

Samantha

+Quote Post
Guest_Dorothea_*
post Feb 5 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #13

Guests

Samantha, your colt looks adorable. Isn't it odd so many of the special ones have to die too soon?
I remember seeing Shahdal at the Event at the stallion presentation and he impressed me much. He had that special quality about him that some call "look at me attitude" and others "star quality". He certainly is one of Imdal's finest sons. I am not a head hunter at all but his head is beautiful beyond words. That doesn't mean he has nothing more to offer, the contrary is the truth. I wonder how many foals he sired so far?

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_Guntram_*
post Feb 5 2004, 04:04 PM
Post #14

Guests

Long before I saw him I knew his name. When I vistited him he stood at his paddock and did not move one muscle. He stood right there like a statue and looked into the distance. My heart beat like a hammer as I approached him. He looked me in the eyes. Distance. He came to me and I gave him a stroke. He was interested. I gave him a sweet. He was VERY interested. biggrin.gif Later he was posed to me and did that perfectly well but my first impression was my lasting one: A proud and eager stallion, sure of himself.

+Quote Post
idan atiq
post Feb 5 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #15

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 64

Hi Ralph,
Very glad that I opened this thread. Its great to hear everyone's thoughts and memories.
And, Ralph, I agree with you - Laheeb is also my favorite Imdal son. I love him as an indivdual and love his pedigree as well.
One of our Babolna maiden mares, *Hila B (Effendi B x Haniya B ex Salaa el Dine) is in foal to Laheeb and beginning to build an udder - you can imagine our excitement.
Will keep you posted.
Keep the Imdal memories coming folks.
Best,
Tzviah

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 00:15
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.