This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Advice For Hives Please Read Maybe You Have The Answer., Outbreak of hives
ArabCrzy
post Feb 13 2010, 09:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3738

I have a gelding 5 year old(recently a stallion) who during the summer broke out with hives, huge bumps allover his body head, neck, trunk etc. We thought it was bug bites, but here in the middle winter he has them once again. We changed his hay several times to see if that would help. They always came right back. The Vet gave him steroids and they went away for several days. Then they came back again. We thought stress was an answer as he is an Alpha male. We gelded hin this week (going to do so anyway) and nothing seems to help the hives came back again. Has any one in Northern California had this problem? Would really like a solution to this problem. Thanks for your time.
Chuck

Thanks to all that have answered. I will try everything but the Flax seed powder first.
Thanks so much
Chuck
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Star-Arabians
post Feb 13 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 34706

Two or three day after deworming there may occur such hives....Maybe this could be the reason?

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Feb 13 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #3

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2799

I would recommend 1 cup of ground flax per day, for 1 week. If the hives start to go away, then leave him at 1 cup per day. If after a week, he still has hives, do 1 cup of ground flax, twice a day. When they go away, then try to go back to 1 cup a day. Flax is great for allergies, hives and inflammation.
This has worked great for a friends horse that got hives, everytime it rained. The vet tried everything, changing food, steroids and such. I told her to do the above and now the horse is hive free, on 1 cup a day. She ran out of flax and did not use it for 2 weeks. He broke out in hives and she has not run out since.

+Quote Post
Gideon Reisel
post Feb 13 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2043

We had a partbred-gelding with exactly the same symptoms. We found in his case that it was an allergic reaction, actually through airborne allergens; they inhale those and that's the way they get into their system. A change to woodshavings, different hay or silage and no access to moss or treebark is the first things to look for. Hope it helps.

Gideon

+Quote Post
Suellen Taylor
post Feb 13 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #5

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 902

We use benadryl per the vet suggestion...seems to work in a few hours.

+Quote Post
QuintArab
post Feb 14 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8549

Hi! I have experienced two problems with hives. The first was my Richter daughter, unexplained source. We got a couple of initial shots of Dextromethorphane (sp?) and that got her out of the initial huge hives, and after that I read in Equus magazine about the flax seed. I fed her some of that in her grain daily for a while and they went away and didn't come back. The other problem we had lasted all summer and it was a lesson horse, so that was a real problem. I don't remember the name of it, but the vet gave us a dressing to put in her feed (cornmeal base) and that kept them down throughout the summer, but did not completely eradicate them; occasionally they would (literally) pop up and we kept a close eye on it. We investigated every source we could but never could figure it out.

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Feb 14 2010, 03:53 AM
Post #7

Gold Member
Group Icon

Quint....the shot that was given is Dexamethasone, which is a corticosteroid and will stop the immune response reaction to the substance causing the hives. Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant.

We had an old TWH on Dexamethasone for severe heaves. We were going to put him down, because of the severity. I was adding flax to the show horses and just started to mix it in with all of the horses feed for convenience. His symptoms diminished, so I put him on 1 cup twice a day. He went off of the Dex completely. He lived another couple of years, very comfortably until he went into kidney failure.
We also have a 26 year old MFS (Missouri Foxtrotter) and he used to get Bute on the days the farrier comes. Now that he is on the ground flax, no more Bute and he is still being ridden.

+Quote Post
ArabCrzy
post Feb 14 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Star-Arabians @ Feb 13 2010, 10:57 PM) *
Two or three day after deworming there may occur such hives....Maybe this could be the reason?

Thanks something to consider as I have wormed him recently.
Thanks

+Quote Post
ArabCrzy
post Feb 14 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Gideon Reisel @ Feb 13 2010, 11:44 PM) *
We had a partbred-gelding with exactly the same symptoms. We found in his case that it was an allergic reaction, actually through airborne allergens; they inhale those and that's the way they get into their system. A change to woodshavings, different hay or silage and no access to moss or treebark is the first things to look for. Hope it helps.

Gideon

Thanks I will watch him, maybe get rid of all the shavings for awhile.

+Quote Post
MarjoRM
post Feb 19 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1670

Hello!

Years ago I knew a gelding who produced hives overnight. As it seemed to be an allergic reaction and he was otherwise fine, I recommended parsley and Apis mellifica. The owner started with the parsley (preferably dried leaves as used for cooking, a tablespoonful twice a day) and the next day the hives were gone and did not return. Parsley is not recommended for pregnant mares, though, because it may cause uterus contraction (the amounts used should be safe, but better take no risks)
If they keep returning, you should try to find the allergen, because there may be the risk of shock.
I heard and read about black cumin ( seed or oil) working well for allergies, but I'm not really familiar with that.

Greetz and good luck, Christiane

+Quote Post
QuintArab
post Feb 19 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8549

YES! Thanks for the correction, I can't believe I gave the wrong word for that...! blink.gif

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Feb 19 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #12

Gold Member
Group Icon

Not a problem......we all have done that:)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 05:08
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.