This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unusual Colours, Blue roan sabino
GNorman
post Sep 19 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 2078

QUOTE (Anjuli Bai @ Sep 19 2010, 08:30 PM) *
Yes, I know. smile.gif
My filly and her parents are member of a new study for the rabicano-gen in purebred Arabians (UC Davis).
She is maximum sabino and extrem rabicano. In winter she'll be nearly black but in summer silver.
Bsw. Shu-Shu is just in quarantine for her new home in Germany *dayscounting*

Have they located a Sabino gene other than SB1? I would like to know more about the test for rabicano.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anjuli Bai
post Sep 20 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #17

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1322

ZITAT(GNorman @ Sep 20 2010, 12:46 AM) *
Have they located a Sabino gene other than SB1? I would like to know more about the test for rabicano.

No, they didn' find the sabino-gen for purebreds til now. Shushu is in this project as well like a lot of other horses from elementsarabians.
For the rabicano-gen UC Davis is looking for purebred rabicano-familys at this moment to start the researches.
The sire of my filly is black, her mom is black sabino and rabicano (but not so much like the foal).
The fullbrother of my filly is black with only a few white hairs.

+Quote Post
GNorman
post Sep 20 2010, 04:58 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Anjuli Bai @ Sep 20 2010, 02:10 PM) *
No, they didn' find the sabino-gen for purebreds til now. Shushu is in this project as well like a lot of other horses from elementsarabians.
For the rabicano-gen UC Davis is looking for purebred rabicano-familys at this moment to start the researches.
The sire of my filly is black, her mom is black sabino and rabicano (but not so much like the foal).
The fullbrother of my filly is black with only a few white hairs.

That is interesting. I have some black sabino-rabicanos that I can submit samples for. Many also from the breeding program they came from.

I first became aware of this coloring with the extreme rabicano with the first one that I purchased back in 2000.

Attached Image

His underside has the sabino and there are also sabino spots on one leg, below the knee. I thought his coloring was the most unusual for a purebred Arabian and a SE.

Attached Image

His roaning is actually so heavy that the Registry changed his registered color to Roan when he was exported to France. He sired 2 black sabino - rabicano sons before he was exported. I just love this color and he is succeeding in Endurance. Several of his offspring are under saddle now and they have his stamina, speed and heart.

Attached Image

Do you know who to contact at UC Davis?

+Quote Post
Anjuli Bai
post Sep 21 2010, 12:02 PM
Post #19

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1322

ZITAT(GNorman @ Sep 20 2010, 06:58 PM) *
His roaning is actually so heavy that the Registry changed his registered color to Roan when he was exported to France. He sired 2 black sabino - rabicano sons before he was exported. I just love this color and he is succeeding in Endurance. Several of his offspring are under saddle now and they have his stamina, speed and heart.

Attached Image

Do you know who to contact at UC Davis?

Where is he in France and who is the owner (website)?

Here's the website of UC Davis (horsegenetics)
http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/genomic/
and the research group http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Horsemap/

+Quote Post
GNorman
post Sep 21 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #20

His owner's site link: Laurence Of Arabians
She also owns his maternal half sister that has such markings smile.gif

The son that I still have has more white on the face and legs, and his sire's belly spots and "skunk" tail as well as the roaning in the ribs.

Attached Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 16:05
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.