This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Canturbury Farms Seizure
mckulley1
post May 1 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #16

Gold Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 249

Latest update:

Korona and several other Arabian Horse Organizations are now in the process of fact-finding regarding the Canterbury Farm situation. We have a team in place that is gathering all information available and are in contact with all parties involved, including Marsha. As of this morning a team member flew into Maryland to provide on-the spot information. This is from Bruce Carpenter.

If anyone can help with either keeping the papers intact for this group of horses or working out if this was an illegal seizure (albiet, obviously these horses needed help BUT there are things that have to be done first before a seizure can be taken place, and was that done????), it will be this group.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sho Shana Farm
post May 1 2011, 07:39 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 29

I am very glad to see this topic has taken on a tone of helping rather than condemning! Kudos to those who have actually been responsible for this turn of events!

Never more than now, in this time of economic pressure world-wide, do we need to work together to support these beloved horses, their Owners and fellow Breeders!

+Quote Post
karin
post May 1 2011, 11:14 PM
Post #18

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6138

Helping is sometimes more usefull than convincing!

Whatever happened here, it is sad. Please share your energy but help in cases like this.

We will never know exactly what happened to people but the horses need help and that counts more than ever.

These kind of cases happen a lot these past years.! Which is very sad. There are many of them unfortunately.

I do not judge here since I am not on that spot and I don't know the background. But I guess all the help is welcome. Please don't fight each other but shake hands. We are here for the horses and their wellbeing and not for us, or our opinions. The horses will be the gratefull. As you all know.

Karin

+Quote Post
cmaginn
post May 2 2011, 12:12 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 34318

An SE breeder in PA sent this article to me today. Very sad situation. I had not heard about this until today. Amanda bringing it up brought it to my attention and I'm glad to know about it so we can do something to help.

So what can we do to help? Who can we call? Would it be possible to get the rescue to allow some of the horses to be adopted with papers as they did in the North Texas rescue last year?

If anyone has some suggestions please let us all know. Ahhh, I reread this and see that Amanda actually posted the phone number to call for help. I will call tonight. Thanks again.

Many thanks,

Carol

http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2011/04/md-h...umane+Nation%29

This post has been edited by cmaginn: May 2 2011, 12:41 AM

+Quote Post
cmaginn
post May 2 2011, 02:11 AM
Post #20

Hey I emailed the contact email address at the Canterbury farms address but the rest of the website it not working. If someone has the number to call this lady please let me know. In the spirit of helping I figure we should reach out and help any way we can. It doesn't matter who's fault it is the time for blame is past, and blame is not helpful. The horses need feed and worming medicine, etc so lets all rally together and get them what they need. I'm sure we can send a box of Equimax or hay to either the lady or the rescue for those horses.

Who's in the area who can help see that those items arrive to wherever those horses are? Maybe Anne Louise Toner or Polly. I know that any of the PS members or SE horse lovers will help with this.

Anything we can do to help lets do it. Ideas or suggestions? Lets put our energy into fixing this.

Carol

QUOTE (cmaginn @ May 2 2011, 01:12 AM) *
An SE breeder in PA sent this article to me today. Very sad situation. I had not heard about this until today. Amanda bringing it up brought it to my attention and I'm glad to know about it so we can do something to help.

So what can we do to help? Who can we call? Would it be possible to get the rescue to allow some of the horses to be adopted with papers as they did in the North Texas rescue last year?

If anyone has some suggestions please let us all know. Ahhh, I reread this and see that Amanda actually posted the phone number to call for help. I will call tonight. Thanks again.

Many thanks,

Carol

http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2011/04/md-h...umane+Nation%29

+Quote Post
cmaginn
post May 2 2011, 02:16 AM
Post #21

More ideas,

Frank Hennessey in Florida is a big time polish horse lover. I understand these horses are all pure polish? Maybe Mr. Hennessey can help somehow. I saw the new movie about Polish horses while in Vegas made by HorseFly films which I think Mr. Hennessey supported. They are amazing people. I will call him tomorrow. Maybe Toskhara has some ideas - they also are polish fans.... Also Furioso farms and Manny may have some suggestions.

Can anyone share the list of horses that have been siezed? Do we need to find adoption homes? Even temporary ones? We need to get the word out but I think that once that happens there are many who will help.

Thanks,

Carol

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post May 2 2011, 02:30 AM
Post #22

Gold Member
Group Icon

Until this goes to trial or what have you, these horses won't be able to be moved beyond the farms they are already at.

It looks like Korona and its members are trying to straighten things out right now, with the legality of the seizure in question. None the less, the horses till need care, no matter how anyone wants to look at it.

IMO I would contact the number I posted here and instead of sending money, as them to provide you with a number to a local feed store where you can buy hay in the name of the horses. This will prevent any misappropriation of funds......

+Quote Post
anitae
post May 2 2011, 03:23 AM
Post #23

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1964

Carol,
There is a group of Polish breeders who are working together to determine a course of action where the good will of the Arabian community can be marshaled in support of the horses. They are in touch with the Rescue and Rehoming folks of Arabian Horse Foundation. They also have asked for information about how things were handled (and lessons learned) from the situation in Pilot Point, TX a couple of years ago. Its a good bunch of folks; I've talked with several of them today. Such situations take a couple of days for things to get pulled together in a sensible fashion (and weekends are hard). As soon as they have a plan in place, I'm sure they'll post here, and I'm sure it will include credible information on how best to channel support for feeding the horses.

Anita

+Quote Post
cmaginn
post May 2 2011, 04:21 AM
Post #24

Thanks Anita,

It's a relief to know that such a great group if people are already working on this :-)

Keep us all posted and let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Carol

+Quote Post
Tenkenva
post May 2 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 2725

I am sympathetic to the horses in question.

And, after reading about the situation and speaking to Amanda, it is clear that some of the horses could be in jeopardy of losing their papers. So, as I go forth and make my donations to various charitable organizations and rescues......this will be a question that I will ask, as I decide whether or not to donate to the organization. I just think the papers belong with the horses, and also think that limiting what a horse can do in it's future.......may prevent it from finding a home and therefore improving it's life. And, I believe that if everyone makes it a point to insist on change ....then rules would change for the better.

But, as I read the posts about this situation....something becomes very clear....This problem did not happen over night. And, a lot of readers are quick to come to the owner's defense. I personally do not know this person. But, I know that to say that the horses only look somewhat in poor shape?!?!?! Seriously? THOSE horses deserve so much better!

Here's me taking a stand that..... I refuse to accept someone taking such poor care of their horses, REGARDLESS OF REASON!

The Arabian Community is caring, giving, and your fellow horse lovers will be the first ones to lend a hand to you. Do not wait until you are ashamed to ask for help, and even then....ask. To that person who will ask, I have compassion. Because they are putting the horses needs before their on. Otherwise, as far as I am concerned your motives are suspect.

There has to be an intolerance for this behavior before it ceases. So before you jump to someone's defense so quickly, might you just think about the horses first?

+Quote Post
karin
post May 2 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #26

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6138

Anita, thank you for helping out as I read.

Please keep us informed.

Thank you,

Karin

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post May 3 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #27

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2799

I also believe that it is the Rescue's policy to geld the stallions and put a no breeding restraint on the mares.

+Quote Post
anitae
post May 3 2011, 02:02 AM
Post #28

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1964

QUOTE (Cheryl L @ May 3 2011, 02:47 AM) *
I also believe that it is the Rescue's policy to geld the stallions and put a no breeding restraint on the mares.

That is a common policy. And because it is difficult to enforce a no-breeding clause on mares, many agencies that handle the adoptions (can be sheriffs departments, or county agencies, not just rescues) do not provide papers. Different organizations/agencies can and do have various specific policies, partly affected by local/state law. Laws vary alot from state to state. One of the difficulties in situations where horses are removed from an owner's custody is that is takes a while for those who want to help to learn what is LEGALLY possible. In the Pilot Point situation, for example, the court awarded ultimate responsibility for placing the horses to HSNT. The POLICY of HSNT regarding equines was to geld boys and adopt out all without papers and with no-breed restrictions; it was not a state law. However, the cooperation and joint effort of various people and organizations persuaded the Board of HSNT to modify that policy for the purpose of dealing with those SE horses. In the end, the owner signed over papers and horses were adopted out with their papers (except, of course, for unregistered horses). There was also help offered to people adopting unregistereds to get them registered. I think that most of the boys were ultimately gelded, but not all (but I'm not positive about the numbers). The only mares with no-breeding clauses in the adoptions were several very aged mares. I cannot emphasize too much, however, that this was a long and very time-consuming effort that involved the positive, cooperative action of many folks. It was very much supported by the SE community and by many other Arabian breeders in Texas - which helped immensely.

Anita

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post May 3 2011, 02:39 AM
Post #29

Gold Member
Group Icon

An article put out by AHA.

http://www.arabianhorses.org/education/non...where_can_i.asp

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post May 3 2011, 05:06 AM
Post #30

Gold Member
Group Icon

A new video of some of the horses:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player...id=924835116001

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd September 2014 - 02:12
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.