This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Canturbury Farms Seizure
Mythic
post May 23 2011, 06:38 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 35161

hopefully they will all find new homes
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smokygirl
post Mar 4 2012, 10:27 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 11712

Marsha has been cleared of all but 10 charges (failure to provide shelter, which would not have had the animals removed from her care).

Apparently, some rescues, tampered with a lot of photos, and used photos of rescues (including non-Arabians even) to garner money and stir the pot. Marsha did admit that the ones euthanized did need to be, but as we all know, sometimes it's hard to pull the plug on a loved one.

I bet that prosecutor is PISSED. And I bet he won't be taking the word of the rescues and ACO involved for a long time. to have 133 count slam dunk case... end up with 10 counts of failure to provide shelter (in some of the paddocks) is .. career damaging at best.

+Quote Post
karin
post Mar 5 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #48

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6138

so what is exactly the situation over there. these horses were in a bad shape in 2011. really. I am sooo fed up seeing this. Too many horses but no an excuse to me. The ownes have to keep care of them or sell them before it is too late and I see this happening so often.

Karin

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post Mar 5 2012, 01:05 AM
Post #49

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 249

OK. She admitted that the 10 that were euthanized needed to be...but she gets the horses back? How does that work?

+Quote Post
karin
post Mar 5 2012, 01:11 AM
Post #50

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6138

no clue. sorry. ten horses being put to sleep.?? that is a lot no. I could not live with that.

Karin

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Mar 5 2012, 01:50 AM
Post #51

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

I thought it was seven and that they were all very old. Is that not right ??
C

+Quote Post
Fairfax
post Mar 5 2012, 01:52 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 34745

All charges were dropped. The prosecutor wanted her charged with 10 accounts of failure to PROVIDE ADEQUATE SHELTER. Judge through it out. Marsha has selecte 63 to retain. ALL horses will have papers available Too much to tell..will do so later. Leo

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post Mar 5 2012, 03:27 AM
Post #53

Gold Member
Group Icon

Well, if she's as well off as everyone says she is, then I pray my tax dollars aren't going to the euthanizing and hole digging for horses she knew needed to be euthanized but didn't do it...and then gets to "select" 63 to bring home after not having to feed them for the last, what, two years?

I'm all for correct methods of doing things and totally against illegal seizure of property but I also see a lot wrong with how she's being rewarded.

+Quote Post
smokygirl
post Mar 5 2012, 03:33 AM
Post #54

QUOTE (mckulley1 @ Mar 5 2012, 04:27 AM) *
Well, if she's as well off as everyone says she is, then I pray my tax dollars aren't going to the euthanizing and hole digging for horses she knew needed to be euthanized but didn't do it...and then gets to "select" 63 to bring home after not having to feed them for the last, what, two years?

I'm all for correct methods of doing things and totally against illegal seizure of property but I also see a lot wrong with how she's being rewarded.

There were 6 older mares that were euthanized, that she agreed to have euthanized before any were seized. they were euthanized before the seizure took place (2 weeks prior I beleive it was). It can be hard to make that decision to pull the plug on a loved one. I know I have had to make that choice.. not only for pets, but also to remove my grandfather from life support. It's not an easy decision at all, and in many cases, people do tend to prolong it, hoping that they will get better.

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post Mar 5 2012, 04:27 AM
Post #55

Gold Member
Group Icon

As an animal owner and an Vet Tech I fully know the gravity of these decisions....however, at the time of the seizure it was said that part of the prompting of the seizure was the condition of about 10 horses. After the seizure it came to light that this group that caused the seizure were the oldest of her horses, mares in their very late 20's and on. Because the law is pretty clear that in a seizure, if you take one, you take them all, they took them all. This had people outraged because they said why didn't they just take the ones that needed the help?

I never saw anything on horses being taken prior to the seizure. I WAS aware of her "donating" several to surround rescues so they could be auctioned off for charity or used as "donations" to the rescue.

QUOTE (smokygirl @ Mar 4 2012, 10:33 PM) *
There were 6 older mares that were euthanized, that she agreed to have euthanized before any were seized. they were euthanized before the seizure took place (2 weeks prior I beleive it was). It can be hard to make that decision to pull the plug on a loved one. I know I have had to make that choice.. not only for pets, but also to remove my grandfather from life support. It's not an easy decision at all, and in many cases, people do tend to prolong it, hoping that they will get better.

+Quote Post
smokygirl
post Mar 5 2012, 05:38 AM
Post #56

QUOTE (mckulley1 @ Mar 5 2012, 04:27 AM) *
As an animal owner and an Vet Tech I fully know the gravity of these decisions....however, at the time of the seizure it was said that part of the prompting of the seizure was the condition of about 10 horses. After the seizure it came to light that this group that caused the seizure were the oldest of her horses, mares in their very late 20's and on. Because the law is pretty clear that in a seizure, if you take one, you take them all, they took them all. This had people outraged because they said why didn't they just take the ones that needed the help?

I never saw anything on horses being taken prior to the seizure. I WAS aware of her "donating" several to surround rescues so they could be auctioned off for charity or used as "donations" to the rescue.

Nope.. the mares in question were euthanized at her direction (upon advice of the vets they brought in) and she was given 30 days. Prior to 30 days (but after the mares were euthanized) they seized the horses, at least that is what the press releases from back then stated.

+Quote Post
Fairfax
post Mar 5 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Marsha had, over the years, put down seniors when they lost the bright eye...flag tail..appetite etc. Before this occured she put down 5. The 7 put down went as follows. HSUS vet and MacGlashen, AC rep (has never had anything to do with horses) "assessed the mares as a 1" (illegal use of Heneke and neither one qualified). Demanded horses put down..whoops...starts to rain...they decide it should be done when rain stops...THREE DAYS LATER THEY ARRIVE BACK demanding the horses put down..so much for critical. The whole case was like that. Horses photographed from overhead..whoops..featured on websites...but not a stall on Marsha's and not her horses. They took pictures of the horses and "graded them" (volunteers did the grading) Then..copies of those pictures with a notiation that each one should be dropped 1 to 1 1/2 points DOWN DOWN DOWN...so far..so good...no one suspects...except they accidently sent BOTH sets to the defence lawyer.

This is only a start of what they did. Marsha can look after the horses and has MONEY now the county was forced to allow her to sell some property. The wife of the AC MacGlashen had been head of that department...

+Quote Post
corsu
post Mar 9 2012, 01:19 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 35141

@McKulley, I don't know Martha or her place.

First I have had a 20+ mare that had all the food available she could eat, unfortunately she had other problems and became a skeleton. In the end we had to put her down.

I have a 18-year old mare that had 3 times laminitis and she looked horrible this winter, yet she pulled through and is improving in the last weeks.

I have only 7 horses ... I can imagine if I had a breeding operation this big and cared about the old ones, I would certainly have around 20 old skinny horses around - just 'cause they served their purpose & are hard to keep in condition doesn't mean they're neglected.

On the video the pastures didn't have much grass but my two winter pastures look certainly no better

I rescued a 5-yr old Polish stallion from real neglect, I know what a starving skeleton horse looks like. These Arabians were showing ribs but if they're out whole winter ...

As I said, I don't know the person or her place but based upon pictures, it doesn't prove real neglect. Arabians don't have to be fat ... at all, certainly if they're doing nothing

Keeping 150 Arabians in todays market and still breeding is not a good idea, for nobody. Sooner or later you have to start dumping - never breed more than you can keep at easy.

+Quote Post
Fairfax
post Mar 13 2012, 07:39 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

The horses have now been relocated to Canterbury and the facility rented to maintain them over the next 5 months.

I would like to stress AGAIN..this would NEVER have happened if the Queen Anne County would not have blocked the sale of the 90 acres. The money from that would have kept the horses in luxury for years..instead it went to her defence (Cost $330,000.00).

What are the odds that an imported stallion, on lease, would produce 37 colts and 5-6 fillies. There were orders for up to 50 fillies. No horses were bred after that.

The ongoing assessment by the vets now they have access to the horses is clearly showing injuries sustained over the past year. Many have been put on a founder watch due to the 300 pounds overweight put on many.

Anyway...a sad saga with no winners draws to a "semi" close

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 09:53
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.