This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maybe A Dumb Question., How do you know if your horse is straight egyptian?
Gary Lee
post Jul 30 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 36423

Hey everyone. It's been a while. Been checking out those Abayyan lines slowly and surely. But somewhere a while back someone brought up that one of the tail female lines wasn't straight egyptian (don't ask me which one, I don't remember). In my search for answers I've asked just exactly how do you know a horse is straight egyptian. Of course I could buy data source and just go through each horse one by one until I got my answers because if I remember correctly it lists on there that they are straight egyptian. But until that day comes I'd like to know how everyone else finds that information preferably online because I don't have any of the books. I've been on the Al Khamsa website but I recently read that even Al Khamsa won't tell you if a horse is straight egyptian.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Jul 31 2011, 06:20 AM
Post #2

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

Hi Gary........probably, the easiest thing for you to do would be just to ask on here if you are not sure about a particular horse, because without the books or access to Data Source, you would need a pretty extensive knowledge about bloodlines. Is there a particular horse you are not sure about ???
Cathy

+Quote Post
Gary Lee
post Jul 31 2011, 07:27 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Nadj al Nur @ Jul 30 2011, 11:20 PM) *
Hi Gary........probably, the easiest thing for you to do would be just to ask on here if you are not sure about a particular horse, because without the books or access to Data Source, you would need a pretty extensive knowledge about bloodlines. Is there a particular horse you are not sure about ???
Cathy

Right now, no. I'm still in the process of going through all the strains and substrains and looking for what I need (which even if there were a faster way to do this, I'd still do this anyway. It's a good learning experience)

But when I get to the point where I and going through to find SE and non SE, I'll probably just buy a datasource package. I was just curious if there was any other way.

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Jul 31 2011, 08:06 AM
Post #4

Gold Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Gary Lee @ Jul 31 2011, 12:27 AM) *
Right now, no. I'm still in the process of going through all the strains and substrains and looking for what I need (which even if there were a faster way to do this, I'd still do this anyway. It's a good learning experience)

But when I get to the point where I and going through to find SE and non SE, I'll probably just buy a datasource package. I was just curious if there was any other way.

If there was a particular book I would recommend as a sort of primer in SEs and strains, it would be Judith Forbis' "The Classic Arabian" You can get it pretty inexpensively too, usually between 20 and 30 dollars through abebooks.com (on line) and worth every penny.
C

+Quote Post
Gary Lee
post Jul 31 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Nadj al Nur @ Jul 31 2011, 01:06 AM) *
If there was a particular book I would recommend as a sort of primer in SEs and strains, it would be Judith Forbis' "The Classic Arabian" You can get it pretty inexpensively too, usually between 20 and 30 dollars through abebooks.com (on line) and worth every penny.
C

Excellent. I will write it in my notes and look it up on Amazon. I'm always looking for stuff that can help me through my search.

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Jul 31 2011, 03:45 PM
Post #6

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2799

The other 2 books that would be great to add to The Classic Arabian Horse....would be Judith Forbis' Authentic Arabian Bloodstock....books 1 and 2.......also known as the Blue Book and Gold Book. Those can be found on The Pyramid Society's website.

+Quote Post
Gary Lee
post Jul 31 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #7

Thanks Cheryl, I'll add those too biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Jul 31 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #8

Gold Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cheryl L @ Jul 31 2011, 08:45 AM) *
The other 2 books that would be great to add to The Classic Arabian Horse....would be Judith Forbis' Authentic Arabian Bloodstock....books 1 and 2.......also known as the Blue Book and Gold Book. Those can be found on The Pyramid Society's website.

I agree, those are both great books. Didn't mention them because they are so expensive, but they certainly are worth having.
C

+Quote Post
Gary Lee
post Jul 31 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #9

Actually, thinking about it, I think I have all three of those saved on my wish list on Amazon.... biggrin.gif

Another question,

Can anyone tell me the difference between BLUE LIST and BLUE STAR? I've already read the 12 page debate over how it's just a label and all that jazz. But for educational purposes and to be in the loop so if I'm questioned, I'll know. I'd like to know the difference and possibly any referrals to people or places that might provide me with more information?

+Quote Post
Gary Lee
post Jul 31 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Gary Lee @ Jul 31 2011, 09:02 AM) *
Actually, thinking about it, I think I have all three of those saved on my wish list on Amazon.... biggrin.gif

Another question,

Can anyone tell me the difference between BLUE LIST and BLUE STAR? I've already read the 12 page debate over how it's just a label and all that jazz. But for educational purposes and to be in the loop so if I'm questioned, I'll know. I'd like to know the difference and possibly any referrals to people or places that might provide me with more information?

Nevermind I found another thread with the answer to that biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Jul 31 2011, 04:33 PM
Post #11

Gold Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Gary Lee @ Jul 31 2011, 09:02 AM) *

Another question,

Blue star is just Mrs. Ott's way of separating the Blue list horses she found to be without Munique blood. She put a star beside their name in her blue book....... (pretty simple huh, LOL )
Cathy

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Jul 31 2011, 05:04 PM
Post #12

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2799

Agreed on the Blue Star/List, it is that simple.

On the 2 books that I mentioned....yeah they are expensive, but they, like Classic, are very valuable educational tools. I purchased the "Blue Book" when it first came out.....I got the "Gold Book" 4 years ago.

+Quote Post
Gary Lee
post Jul 31 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #13

Well my search of the blue star/blue list information has to do with the horses that were included in Mrs. Ott's book. Since I want to do preservation of Abayyan strands, I think it's important to know because *Turfa (from what I've found) was included. But I've found *Mahraa horses that are labeled Blue Star... So... I'm confused there and until I can buy that book at $200... I'm clueless about the authenticity of *Mahraa and Blue Star.

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Jul 31 2011, 05:59 PM
Post #14

Gold Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Gary Lee @ Jul 31 2011, 10:30 AM) *
Well my search of the blue star/blue list information has to do with the horses that were included in Mrs. Ott's book. Since I want to do preservation of Abayyan strands, I think it's important to know because *Turfa (from what I've found) was included. But I've found *Mahraa horses that are labeled Blue Star... So... I'm confused there and until I can buy that book at $200... I'm clueless about the authenticity of *Mahraa and Blue Star.

OK.......now I am the one confused. Are you talking Mahraa or Marah ??
C

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Jul 31 2011, 06:04 PM
Post #15

Gold Member
Group Icon

Also.........Turfa is not officially listed as Abbeyan. I wish she was because I also have Abbeyans and I love her, There is one mention that she may have been Abbeyan but there is controversy over that.
C

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 14:04
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.