This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Romance Versa Reality, You comments please.
Nadj al Nur
post Mar 25 2012, 02:47 PM
Post #121

Gold Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3074

QUOTE (Dieter @ Mar 25 2012, 05:07 AM) *
I understand the quote in context to be a generalization. A point of information to share:

When pleasure riding turns into survival every rider would wish they were on an Arabian horse built for war and utility. Trail riding for pleasure 25 to 30 miles from camp to camp for days or weeks at a time . . . can bring certain dangers while riding through the National and State Forests. Long distance trail riders know they need to be seated on a horse able to outrun a pack of wild dogs, a pack of coyote, a mountain lion or a bear on trails that can be blocked by downed trees that the horse must jump, or steep inclines that need to be scaled and then run flat out through the forest, brush, water, uneven terrain and dart between obstacles that are sometimes hidden until the predator is outrun or loses interest. The horse has to be able to make decisions instantly in this environment, not lose its head, must have confidence in its own athletic ability as well as its rider (who would do well to let the horse work) and it's body must be up to the task in order to survive. Even pleasure horses, sport horses and show horses need to be built with "utility" in mind whether they have a daily job or not - lest it be disclosed to potential buyers the horse would probably not do well under such stress where their survival might depend on them not going insane, blowing tendons, pulling ligaments or any other such difficulty often caused by structural deficits and misguided inbreeding.

Of the 90% of Arabian horse owners in North America who never set foot in a show ring, there are thousands of long distance trail riders that relish the opportunity to spend a month or two out of every year with their horses for pleasure out riding from camp to camp. One might be surprised to find those horses dragging logs out of the woods for firewood when they aren't out trail riding, or being ridden to check fence lines carrying a pack of tools for fence repair or what have you. The well-built Arabian is perfectly suited for this because of their interest in everything that surrounds them, their keen intelligence and their stamina. That's one of the reasons Arabian blood was infused into Calvary horses so many years ago. Even today, mounted police need horses that can be in crowds, spend the day with a rider and still be ready to chase down a criminal in an urban environment. Some of the "projects" are policed on horseback because a horse can go almost wherever a human can go and they are a great restraint tool as well. Nothing would be more entertaining than to see a thief scaling a fence with a horse's teeth holding onto it's pants tongue.gif

It's important to note too, that though Hansi may own horses, it is unreasonable to expect her to be out personally riding or otherwise proving her horses under saddle. Certainly her horses can be found around the world working at their jobs. One should be able to easily understand and not question the fact that Hansi has spent a lifetime breeding horses with utility and performance in mind.

For what its worth.

Now, this is a post I can agree with. It always sort of irritates me when people say, " Oh........that's only a trail horse.......he/she has never really DONE anything."
I did the Rich Hobson Cattle Drive about a dozen or so years ago with my pretty little SE, AK, never really done anything, mare. When you sign up for that, you are supposed to have two horses, and I had to do some fancy talking to get them to let me go with only one. It is roughly a hundred miles through the back country, herding cattle......sort of an old time cattle drive for modern day people. Anyhow......long story short, my mare was fresher at the end, than she was at the beginning, and there were several people with two horses that didn't make it to the end.I only did it the one time though, because even though the mare did wonderfully, I discovered that my back will not take sleeping on the ground for several nights in a row. MY limitation, not hers......
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Caryn Rogosky
post Mar 25 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #122

Micky

Member No.: 1584

QUOTE (Nadj al Nur @ Mar 25 2012, 04:47 PM) *
Now, this is a post I can agree with. It always sort of irritates me when people say, " Oh........that's only a trail horse.......he/she has never really DONE anything."
I did the Rich Hobson Cattle Drive about a dozen or so years ago with my pretty little SE, AK, never really done anything, mare. When you sign up for that, you are supposed to have two horses, and I had to do some fancy talking to get them to let me go with only one. It is roughly a hundred miles through the back country, herding cattle......sort of an old time cattle drive for modern day people. Anyhow......long story short, my mare was fresher at the end, than she was at the beginning, and there were several people with two horses that didn't make it to the end.I only did it the one time though, because even though the mare did wonderfully, I discovered that my back will not take sleeping on the ground for several nights in a row. MY limitation, not hers......

I don't know how anyone could ever say,"that's just a trail horse". How many other disciplines or uses engage so many qualities of an equine, such as: intelligence, agility, courage, intuitition, restraint, confidence, trust and willingness as well as athleticism? I also don't think there is any other use of an Arabian which provides more pleasure for its owner. A good trail horse is, for sure, worth its weight in gold.

+Quote Post
Dieter
post Mar 25 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #123

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1086

QUOTE (HLM @ Mar 25 2012, 09:05 AM) *
Hi Liz

It is always and ever one of the same clique who will throw a dagger "like are your horses ulitarians Hansi" or something like it, meaning to day, here, by me..This disrespect is purposely meant and given, and that by so called
Arabian horse breeders and lover of Arabian Horses.

Many SERENITY HORSES have become "utilitarians" doing farm work all day long in Uruguay,Paraguay,Brazil, Panama,Argentina , etc and most lived a long life too, working to their last days and many excelling in endurance performance. Had some of our people studied a bit more what other countries are doing, none would ever make such insulting remark.
But so do the Zichy Thyssen Arabians. Even Van Fleet on Zarif -he worked all day riding fences,herding cattle etc and at night (some) played Polo never changing horses. And there are dozens of others, here and abroad which earn their living.

I can not tell anybody what to breed, its up to them, and when an inferior one is born it better was for own keeping, because such horses dont sell readily.

Just my opinion
Take care
Hansi
Hi Hansi,

Oh yes, I am well aware of Serenity horses capabilities and when I visit, I'd love to record everything yours are doing today and have done in the past if you'll let me. Would love to publish that for the public to review too because 20, 30, 40 even 100 years from now, that information will still need to be available. You should be and have every right to be proud of your lifetime accomplishments with your horses Hansi - I am smile.gif

For English being your second language, you do a great job of interpretting and responding . . . wish everyone with English as their first language would practice a little bit more patience with you.

Hoping you have a great day!!

Hugs,

Liz

+Quote Post
Dieter
post Mar 25 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #124

Gold Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caryn Rogosky @ Mar 25 2012, 10:06 AM) *
Perhaps if you used the quote function, or copied and pasted my post into yours --- or even if you had read it carefully rather than assuming that the interpretations of others were accurate, you would not have understood it as you stated which is NOT what I wrote.

Caryn, I don't think Hansi or anyone else intentionally misinterpreted your question. But I do think this question:

"What essential utilitarian work do your Arabians do daily, Hansi?

Needed more explanation. Now that you have offered further explaination, what you meant is more understood. It's easy to forget that some of the posters on this forum use English as their 2nd language and that further explanation of questions or expounding on thoughts may be needed to avoid misinterpretation. . . so perhaps if you would have mentioned why you were asking the question or rephrased it replacing the word "essential" with daily, it wouldn't have been misinterpretted initially. wink.gif

+Quote Post
HLM
post Mar 25 2012, 06:20 PM
Post #125

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 192

QUOTE (Dieter @ Mar 25 2012, 06:49 PM) *
Caryn, I don't think Hansi or anyone else intentionally misinterpreted your question. But I do think this question:

"What essential utilitarian work do your Arabians do daily, Hansi?

Needed more explanation. Now that you have offered further explaination, what you meant is more understood. It's easy to forget that some of the posters on this forum use English as their 2nd language and that further explanation of questions or expounding on thoughts may be needed to avoid misterpretation. . . so perhaps if you would have mentioned why you were asking the question or rephrased it replacing the word "essential" with daily, it wouldn't have been misinterpretted initially. wink.gif

Thanks Liz

I found over the years particular posters attacked every word they could find, just to be mean and hateful.
They dont have the compassion we both have and step on anything pleasing their cause.

I still think in "German" translate it into english and indeed sometimes it sounds harsh, but is not meant that way. A simple question to explain would have helped, but that was not wanted.May be these folks should write in german, then lets see how it comes out, eh.

Funny, Never had/have a problem abroad.

Take care
Hansi

+Quote Post
Dieter
post Mar 25 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #126

Gold Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nadj al Nur @ Mar 25 2012, 10:47 AM) *

That sounds like an exciting trip (minus the sleeping on the ground part) and it's no surprise your mare was perkier upon return as when she left.

I much prefer long distance trail riding (with overnight camping - horses on a picket line) over any other type and it's so good for the horses to get out of their daily routine every now and then. It truly is one of the best tests for a horse IMO. Michigan has a Shore to Shore Trail that is a nice ride and The Michigan Trail Riders Association does a great job hosting events. (If the link is a problem, you can google Michgian Trail Riders Association and it comes right up.) If one joiins them and rides with them, they have a chuckwagon that goes from camp to camp so participants never need to leave the group for a hot meal. Having ridden the trails for many years, I've gone through quite a few breeds conditioned for trails. The Appendix Quarter horse would go bonkers and turn into a bronc after about 10 miles, the American Saddlebred was a comfortable ride, but was too hot (an ex-show horse) to manage being in a group without walking on her hind legs, the Tennessee Walker was again a smooth ride, but started being trouble at about 10 miles throwing her head and bucking every time I asked her to do more than walk like a slug and the Morgan was willing but weary after 15 miles and less enthusiastic the next day. I watched a lot of people get ditched off their warmbloods, thoroughbreds, appaloosas, paints and mustangs with some of them coming up lame soon after the rides started. The absolute best horses were Arabians who were so interested in everythiing going on, sound in mind and body and were excited to see what was around the next turn. Many of them acted like "what, we're stopping?" when we'd ride into camp at night. But I will never forget an Aladdin son that rode with us one day, an ex-show/halter type horse, that was an absolute basket case. He could not deal with being outdoors, in the woods, water, trails, tents, other horses, etc. Poor horse spooked and spun every ten feet and there was no settling him down. The girl that bought him paid a LOT of money for him and he was beautiful, but soon learned ex-show/halter types were not the types she wanted to own.

+Quote Post
Dieter
post Mar 25 2012, 06:40 PM
Post #127

Gold Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (HLM @ Mar 25 2012, 02:20 PM) *
Thanks Liz

I found over the years particular posters attacked every word they could find, just to be mean and hateful.
They dont have the compassion we both have and step on anything pleasing their cause.

I still think in "German" translate it into english and indeed sometimes it sounds harsh, but is not meant that way. A simple question to explain would have helped, but that was not wanted.May be these folks should write in german, then lets see how it comes out, eh.

Funny, Never had/have a problem abroad.

Take care
Hansi

Of course - no problem. In my experience people that speak English as a 2nd language are much, much more tolerant of explaining themselves and defining words. I'm always amazed when they apologize for not being able to find the right word or using the wrong word when I feel like I shoud apologize because I haven't learned even the basics of their language. They also aren't so quick to get caught up in semantics as some English as a 1st language people do. Even mispelling a word can be ridiculed, but it's really no big deal and says more about the person doing the ridiculing than the person that mispelled the word wink.gif

+Quote Post
tkr9
post Mar 26 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #128

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 1900

And this is how it should be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ZTKND1WDc

I don't know who this girl is, but THAT is what Arabians should be for smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nadj al Nur
post Mar 26 2012, 08:09 PM
Post #129

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3074

QUOTE (tkr9 @ Mar 26 2012, 01:00 PM) *

I don't know who this girl is, but THAT is what Arabians should be for smile.gif

Yup, ENJOY them, because they are beautiful and willing, and fun, and all manner of other good things. Thanks for posting the video.

+Quote Post
HLM
post Mar 26 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #130

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 192

QUOTE (Dieter @ Mar 25 2012, 08:40 PM) *
Of course - no problem. In my experience people that speak English as a 2nd language are much, much more tolerant of explaining themselves and defining words. I'm always amazed when they apologize for not being able to find the right word or using the wrong word when I feel like I shoud apologize because I haven't learned even the basics of their language. They also aren't so quick to get caught up in semantics as some English as a 1st language people do. Even mispelling a word can be ridiculed, but it's really no big deal and says more about the person doing the ridiculing than the person that mispelled the word wink.gif

Thanks Liz

I have a far more educated english in speaking than writing. Reason, I am a terrible "speller" and grab back to words I feel I can spell relatively correct. My time is often so limited, and to take a dictionary at hand, is just too much time.

Hansi

+Quote Post
Dieter
post Mar 26 2012, 08:53 PM
Post #131

Gold Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (HLM @ Mar 26 2012, 04:12 PM) *
Thanks Liz

I have a far more educated english in speaking than writing. Reason, I am a terrible "speller" and grab back to words I feel I can spell relatively correct. My time is often so limited, and to take a dictionary at hand, is just too much time.

Hansi

My pleasure Hansi. I don't have any trouble understanding you whatsoever whether you misspell words, use the wrong words or whatever. Any reasonably intelligent person can understand you, but some who don't think much of themselves, choose to put you down in order to make themselves feel better maybe. Pitiful, isn't it.

Liz

+Quote Post
Dieter
post Mar 26 2012, 10:11 PM
Post #132

Gold Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (tkr9 @ Mar 26 2012, 04:00 PM) *

A beautiful horse being ridden beautifully wub.gif

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 23:07
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.