This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marketing Questions For Breeders, sharing information on sales and marketing practices
rylolin
post Apr 13 2012, 05:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 954

Hello All,

I have a few questions I would like to hear answers on from other breeders. I am curious about marketing and sales outcomes so please feel free to share beyond these questions if you have ideas, experiences, or recommendations that you think would benefit other breeders. And thanks up front for sharing!

How many horses have you sold in the last 12 - 24 mos.?

How are you advertising or promoting your sales prospects?

Do you have an advertising budget?

Do you have a clear idea of how much you have invested in your sales prospect before you price them?

How do you decide on your pricing?

What public advertising venues do you routinely use?

How many of these advertising choices do you use for each prospect?

Can you describe the demographics of your buyers (in the last 12-24 mos.)?

How did your buyers find you and/or your sales prospects?

Do you have any generalizations about your marketing or your buyers to share with us?

Do you have repeat clients?

Which of these stages/ages do you focus on selling: inutero/weanling/under-saddle/proven show horse/proven breeder?

I am sure there are other questions that I am missing so everyone feel free to jump in with other questions you might have too.

Cordially,
Linda
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rylolin
post Apr 13 2012, 08:13 PM
Post #2

In case you'd rather do this privately, you can send me a message or via my email at crystalmeadowsfarm@yahoo.com. Details of pm or email will be kept confidential if you like. This is just to gather some general knowledge about what people are doing that is successful or not successful in today's market. I'm hoping that we may all be able to garner some wisdom from other breeders here!

Cordially,
Linda

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post Apr 14 2012, 10:03 AM
Post #3

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 249

I'll try to answer your questions as a breeder....and not as a Marketing Agent.

How many horses have you sold in the last 12 - 24 mos.? In the last 24 months I have marketed three horses and sold two of them while leasing one of them. This follows how I was marketing them.

How are you advertising or promoting your sales prospects? Mostly on the Net these days. Some print ads, but very minimal and focused regionally.

Do you have an advertising budget? Yes, a little as I can spend.

Do you have a clear idea of how much you have invested in your sales prospect before you price them? Yes.

How do you decide on your pricing? I price mine in accordance with their quality and the market. Just because I am small, does not mean that my high quality horses should be sold for peanuts though. Quality is quality.

What public advertising venues do you routinely use? Class "A" shows, regional version of the Equine Journal, the Internet

How many of these advertising choices do you use for each prospect? As many as I know that provide consistent results.

Can you describe the demographics of your buyers (in the last 12-24 mos.)? Interestingly enough, all buyers/lessee's were female in the 38-54 age range.

How did your buyers find you and/or your sales prospects? Two were clients through my Marketing program (I had sold horses for them in the past) and one was a repeat Buyer.

Do you have any generalizations about your marketing or your buyers to share with us? Good quality video and photos are a MUST!

Do you have repeat clients? !! YES !!

Which of these stages/ages do you focus on selling: inutero/weanling/under-saddle/proven show horse/proven breeder? Generally, it's young stock and I try to have them sold some time between birth and 2yo.

+Quote Post
rylolin
post Apr 14 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (mckulley1 @ Apr 14 2012, 12:03 PM) *
I'll try to answer your questions as a breeder....and not as a Marketing Agent.

How many horses have you sold in the last 12 - 24 mos.? In the last 24 months I have marketed three horses and sold two of them while leasing one of them. This follows how I was marketing them.

How are you advertising or promoting your sales prospects? Mostly on the Net these days. Some print ads, but very minimal and focused regionally.

Do you have an advertising budget? Yes, a little as I can spend.

Do you have a clear idea of how much you have invested in your sales prospect before you price them? Yes.

How do you decide on your pricing? I price mine in accordance with their quality and the market. Just because I am small, does not mean that my high quality horses should be sold for peanuts though. Quality is quality.

What public advertising venues do you routinely use? Class "A" shows, regional version of the Equine Journal, the Internet

How many of these advertising choices do you use for each prospect? As many as I know that provide consistent results.

Can you describe the demographics of your buyers (in the last 12-24 mos.)? Interestingly enough, all buyers/lessee's were female in the 38-54 age range.

How did your buyers find you and/or your sales prospects? Two were clients through my Marketing program (I had sold horses for them in the past) and one was a repeat Buyer.

Do you have any generalizations about your marketing or your buyers to share with us? Good quality video and photos are a MUST!

Do you have repeat clients? !! YES !!

Which of these stages/ages do you focus on selling: inutero/weanling/under-saddle/proven show horse/proven breeder? Generally, it's young stock and I try to have them sold some time between birth and 2yo.

Thanks Amanda for answering - all of this is good info for us to think about. I admire your clarity on this subject and as always I really admire what you are producing. One other question I thought of for you, is there a way in which you envision the ideal home for your horse and then focus on marketing to who that ideal buyer might be? Or, is your initial approach (i.e. ad venues/mail-outs/etc.) the same for each of your horses?

Thanks for your input!

Cordially,
Linda

+Quote Post
mckulley1
post Apr 14 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #5

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 249

Thank you for the compliment.

Again, discussing my own horses.....I think it completely depends on the horse. If I have a broodmare over the age of 12 I won't bother utilizing international advertising venues....because the chance of exporting them is very minimal. It also depends on the interested buyer...their plans for the horse. If it doesn't fit into what I want the horse to be doing, then I don't allow them to pursue the purchase.

+Quote Post
HLM
post Apr 14 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #6

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 192

QUOTE (rylolin @ Apr 13 2012, 06:51 PM) *
Hello All,

I have a few questions I would like to hear answers on from other breeders. I am curious about marketing and sales outcomes so please feel free to share beyond these questions if you have ideas, experiences, or recommendations that you think would benefit other breeders. And thanks up front for sharing!

How many horses have you sold in the last 12 - 24 mos.?

How are you advertising or promoting your sales prospects?

Do you have an advertising budget?

Do you have a clear idea of how much you have invested in your sales prospect before you price them?

How do you decide on your pricing?

What public advertising venues do you routinely use?

How many of these advertising choices do you use for each prospect?

Can you describe the demographics of your buyers (in the last 12-24 mos.)?

How did your buyers find you and/or your sales prospects?

Do you have any generalizations about your marketing or your buyers to share with us?

Do you have repeat clients?

Which of these stages/ages do you focus on selling: inutero/weanling/under-saddle/proven show horse/proven breeder?

I am sure there are other questions that I am missing so everyone feel free to jump in with other questions you might have too.

Cordially,
Linda

Dear Linda

I mean you no disrespect, however your questions tresspass on business privacy, not everybody wishes to share.
Already do we have unethical business people among us, and dont need more.

thank you for trying to help.

Hansi

+Quote Post
rylolin
post Apr 14 2012, 11:49 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (HLM @ Apr 14 2012, 09:33 PM) *
Dear Linda

I mean you no disrespect, however your questions tresspass on business privacy, not everybody wishes to share.

Hansi

Hi Hansi,

Thanks for your thoughts Hansi. I have heard from a few people privately. My goal is to gather general information as research so not asking for very specific info about their business practices and clients - not so different from other kinds of research.

It seems to be the "elephant-in-the-room" (that almost no one wants to speak about) though. If we don't find some way to gather more group info about what our target market is doing out there we may continue to flounder alone while the Arabians move toward extinction. For me it is about what is the demographic profile of current buyers rather than "please tell me your source so I can sell my horses to them instead of you."

It would be so wonderful to wake up one day and have no bad news about starving horses or someone's emergency need to place good blood stock just before they get to that point.

I guess if few are willing to share their general thoughts on what plans they have developed for marketing, then my hope will have to remain that each of us begins to consider these type of questions for ourselves in order to better facilitate finding new homes and hopefully winning over new converts to our beautiful, talented, and intelligent Arabians.

Whether we try to help each other or not, there will always be those who may try to sneak in the back door and steal a sale or a coveted horse out from under the more innocent participants. I would still rather be out there talking and networking with other breeders rather than not. Perhaps more in the old ways of camaraderie that you remind us of.

So...just my thoughts on the subject...

Cordially,
Linda

+Quote Post
HLM
post Apr 15 2012, 12:13 AM
Post #8

Advanced Senior Member

QUOTE (rylolin @ Apr 15 2012, 01:49 AM) *
Hi Hansi,

Thanks for your thoughts Hansi. I have heard from a few people privately. My goal is to gather general information as research so not asking for very specific info about their business practices and clients - not so different from other kinds of research.

It seems to be the "elephant-in-the-room" (that almost no one wants to speak about) though. If we don't find some way to gather more group info about what our target market is doing out there we may continue to flounder alone while the Arabians move toward extinction. For me it is about what is the demographic profile of current buyers rather than "please tell me your source so I can sell my horses to them instead of you."

It would be so wonderful to wake up one day and have no bad news about starving horses or someone's emergency need to place good blood stock just before they get to that point.

I guess if few are willing to share their general thoughts on what plans they have developed for marketing, then my hope will have to remain that each of us begins to consider these type of questions for ourselves in order to better facilitate finding new homes and hopefully winning over new converts to our beautiful, talented, and intelligent Arabians.

Whether we try to help each other or not, there will always be those who may try to sneak in the back door and steal a sale or a coveted horse out from under the more innocent participants. I would still rather be out there talking and networking with other breeders rather than not. Perhaps more in the old ways of camaraderie that you remind us of.

So...just my thoughts on the subject...

Cordially,
Linda

Dear Linda

I think you mean well, but it looks if you are going on a "fishing trip".
To reveal business tactis openly is not exactly ethical in my opinion.
I dont believe that forums are the answer for gaining business experinces, one has to paddle one's own canoe.

Take care
Hansi.

+Quote Post
rylolin
post Apr 15 2012, 12:19 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (HLM @ Apr 15 2012, 01:13 AM) *
Dear Linda

I dont believe that forums are the answer for gaining business experinces, one has to paddle one's own canoe.

Take care
Hansi.

Thank you Hansi. I wish to help others and would freely share what I know if it would help another. Mentoring in my view of the world covers a larger gamut perhaps. What do you think I am "fishing for" exactly? If knowledge was not to be shared there would be no need for researchers and no universities whether you are speaking of business matters, breeding practices, or pedigrees. So I will have to vote to disagree on this one note with you.

Cordially,
Linda

+Quote Post
Roger
post Apr 15 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 516

QUOTE (HLM @ Apr 14 2012, 04:33 PM) *
Dear Linda

Hansi

QUOTE (HLM @ Apr 14 2012, 08:13 PM) *
Dear Linda

Take care
Hansi.

SAY WHAT?! You have got to be kidding me! Since when is it unethical to ask about marketing and promotional strategies in public? Your assertions are pure nonsense. Let me set you straight here Hansi, it's every bit as important to know the ins and outs of marketing your horses as it is to know how to breed the best horses possible. There is absolutely no difference in asking breeding questions as there is in asking marketing/promotion questions, or are you also of the opinion that when gaining breeding experience, one has to paddle one's own canoe? Marketing is not some dirty little secret that we shouldn't talk about. How dare you admonish and essentially tell Linda to shut up and go away for asking perfectly legitimate questions. What are you afraid of Hansi?

+Quote Post
HLM
post Apr 15 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #11

Advanced Senior Member

QUOTE (Roger @ Apr 15 2012, 12:43 PM) *
SAY WHAT?! You have got to be kidding me! Since when is it unethical to ask about marketing and promotional strategies in public? Your assertions are pure nonsense. Let me set you straight here Hansi, it's every bit as important to know the ins and outs of marketing your horses as it is to know how to breed the best horses possible. There is absolutely no difference in asking breeding questions as there is in asking marketing/promotion questions, or are you also of the opinion that when gaining breeding experience, one has to paddle one's own canoe? Marketing is not some dirty little secret that we shouldn't talk about. How dare you admonish and essentially tell Linda to shut up and go away for asking perfectly legitimate questions. What are you afraid of Hansi?

I expected no less reply from you Roger. Indeed I concider it unethical to ask for business details. Indeed it is important that everyone should try to be self-sustaining and "self-thinking". Many a warning, educationl matter in the past have either been critizied or not listened to. May be you should start a topic "why are we in the mess we are in". Sincere replies to such topic could be of great value, without nusty remarks like yours. You cant help yourself, always .shooting below the belt, right!.

I dont understand your remark" what I am afraid of". My dear, absolutely nothing. I was under the impression that particular questions are usually ask by our Associations to help them help us. Now if you wish to give us your details, as requested by Linda, go right ahead. How can Linda help anybody with her questions and some answers gained?
Will it help her marketing? and what about you, will it help you? May be you dont need any. Or is it frustation turning into whatever?

And to you Linda, as said before, I did not mean to offend you and think you are trying to help. You stated as I understand, that you had private responses. that's wonderful. At least there are some folks out there who agree with me. Now lets wait if our large farms will give their statistics, if we live long enough. May be I should have stayed out of this topic with my opinion, and let everybody do as they please. But may be I am trying to help.

Hansi.

+Quote Post
Cheryl L
post Apr 15 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #12

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2799

Amanda....I loved your clear and concise answers.
The demographic part was really fascinating to read.

+Quote Post
rylolin
post Apr 15 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Roger @ Apr 15 2012, 12:43 PM) *

Thank you Roger, I was a little taken aback at the ethics accusation and confused by the fishing angle. I'm not sure how you would even use the answers to attack anyone?? I have re-thought two of the questions.

Instead of asking how many horses you sold and if you have repeat buyers, it might better enlighten us to ask how your percentage of successful sales over the last two years compares with your percentages in previous years and if you can put a percentage on how many of your buyers are new horse owners vs those buyers who are already in your sphere of influence (i.e. repeat clients, friends, other breeders you already do business with) vs. buyers new to Arabians.

And again, just looking here for generalizations about how individual breeders see their market and marketing practices evolving now.

My hope is that there might be some "aha" moments for us here.

What I can offer here myself is that I am using all of the advertising venues listed above and I sold 5 horses in this time period (about par for me). I use the same advertising means as already listed. The only thing that I can add is that most of my sales have come from reaching out on-on-one to potential buyers that I have some commonality with (i.e. same bloodlines and/or same performance focus - sport horses and/or some trade I am looking for). So I spend time researching those that I have something in common with to start. I have little if any results from strictly advertising. None of my clients were new to horses or Arabians so still selling within our existing group and have not sold any overseas. Most important for me has been staying open-minded and flexible in the process.

Would love to hear about anyone's unique and/or standard approaches to successful marketing if you'd like to share... biggrin.gif

Cordially,
Linda

+Quote Post
rylolin
post Apr 15 2012, 01:16 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Cheryl L @ Apr 15 2012, 02:11 PM) *
Amanda....I loved your clear and concise answers.
The demographic part was really fascinating to read.

Yes Cheryl! And it seems to be a commonality among answers that I'm getting!

+Quote Post
rylolin
post Apr 15 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (HLM @ Apr 15 2012, 01:51 PM) *
I expected no less reply from you Roger. Indeed I concider it unethical to ask for business details. Indeed it is important that everyone should try to be self-sustaining and "self-thinking". Many a warning, educationl matter in the past have either been critizied or not listened to. May be you should start a topic "why are we in the mess we are in". Sincere replies to such topic could be of great value, without nusty remarks like yours. You cant help yourself, always .shooting below the belt, right!.

I dont understand your remark" what I am afraid of". My dear, absolutely nothing. I was under the impression that particular questions are usually ask by our Associations to help them help us. Now if you wish to give us your details, as requested by Linda, go right ahead. How can Linda help anybody with her questions and some answers gained?
Will it help her marketing? and what about you, will it help you? May be you dont need any. Or is it frustation turning into whatever?

And to you Linda, as said before, I did not mean to offend you and think you are trying to help. You stated as I understand, that you had private responses. that's wonderful. At least there are some folks out there who agree with me. Now lets wait if our large farms will give their statistics, if we live long enough. May be I should have stayed out of this topic with my opinion, and let everybody do as they please. But may be I am trying to help.

Hansi.

Well, I don't expect large farms or even long-term breeders to give any answers and don't think their answer would really apply as their marketing is already set and successful over the long term. I guess this is more about small people and operations thinking things over and sharing. It's pretty clear that our Associations (Arabs and others) are not in a position to help us. They have their own issues with the dramatic downturn in registrations and loss of income. I haven't really seen any published articles regarding marketing assessments and recommendations ever coming from an Association. Have you?

I am a small breeder and I am saddened by the number of small breeders fleeing the business (in all breeds not just Arabs) plus the many seizures going on around us. Do you have any recommendations for the small breeder as far as marketing?

Cordially,
Linda

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 15:24
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.