This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Smarty Jones/triple Crown Challenge Races
Guest_Guest_*
post Jun 1 2004, 05:25 PM
Post #1

Guests

The USA is running a big horse race this weekend and I know its not Arabians Horses but does anyone know of this racehorse Smarty Jones? And do you think he will remain undefeated and be the first horse to win in many, many, many years? Good LUCKS! biggrin.gif And what do they say, go for the roses!?!?!?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
El Miladi
post Jun 1 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 341

Yes, horse lovers across the USA (including Arabian horse owners!) are hoping that we finally have another Triple Crown winner. I was privileged to see the last three -- Secretariat, Seattle Slew and Affirmed -- run during their careers, but would love to see another winner sometime in my lifetime, ha! (even if on the television this time....) Smarty Jones is certainly looking worthy, but winning these three races is about the most difficult accomplishment in sports. He is also a relatively small colt, which is another reason I believe he has captured the hearts of Arabian horse lovers -- we understand that height is not everything -- courage and character is what counts.

As for the "Run for the Roses" -- that is just for the Kentucky Derby. The flowers for a Preakness winner are black-eyed susans (rather like yellow daisies with black centers) and the Belmont winner gets white carnations. Yes, I know, "Run for the Carnations" doesn't have the same feel......

Here's to great racing luck for Smarty Jones on Saturday. We'll all be cheering!

Best Regards,

Cynthia Culbertson

+Quote Post
Ladypurr
post Jun 1 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 118

Dear Guest,

You bet we're excited about Smary Jones! I'm a former Pennsylvanian and this gutsy Pennsylvania-bred colt gives every indication that he's got what it takes to sweep the Triple Crown. As Cynthia related, there hasn't been a horse that's won the Triple Crown since the mighty Affirmed dug deep and nosed out his archrival Alydar at the wire in the Belmont.

Most people aren't aware how difficult it is for a Thoroughbred racehorse to sweep this series of races. These are three-year old colts. They've probably raced at the minimum of four to five times prepping for these events. The Kentucky Derby is a mile and a quarter, the Preakness States is one mile and one-sixteenth and the Belmont Stakes is an exhausting one and one-half miles. There are just two weeks between the Derby and the Preakness, and then three weeks time till the Belmont. It would be a very demanding schedule for even a mature horse, so asking these young horses to run so hard and long with such short rest periods in between is asking alot!!

I, too, was fortunate to see the great Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed run in all of their races. Though I'm partial to Big Red (Secretariat), The 1978 Belmont Stakes remains the most thrilling horserace I've ever watched. Affirmed and Alydar hooked up from the time they broke from the starting gate and fought head to head to the finish line. It was an unforgettable horse race. Affirmed won at the wire by a mere head!

All horse-racing fans get excited when the Kentucky Derby winner comes back and captures the Preakness Stakes. However, we're all left wondering if this talented chestnut colt will have what it takes to win the toughest race yet--the mile and a half Belmont Stakes. Two weeks before the Kentucky Derby, I watched Smarty win the Arkansas Derby and I was very impressed.

When he took command in the Kentucky Derby, I started to think this horse might just be the next Triple Crown winner. When he pulled away from the rest of the field in the Preakness and won by a whopping eleven and a half lengths I really got excited.

There are no guarantees in horse racing. So far, Smarty Jones has stayed sound. His trainer, John Servas, has conditioned him superbly, and his jockey, Stuart Elliot, has ridden him masterfully. He only went to the whip twice in the Preakness Stakes. Smarty took off at the top of the homestretch and appeared to be jet propelled! But there's always that "dark horse" that comes out of nowhere and spoils a horse’s chance to make racing history. If Smarty Jones breaks well, stays close to the pace, and gets the lead at the turn and pulls away, there isn't a horse that can catch him.

He stands to become the richest Thoroughbred race horse in history if he sweeps the Triple Crown. His owners will be awarded a $5 million (yes, that's MILLION!!) dollar bonus, in addition to the $1 million dollar purse for winning the Belmont.

I'd love to fly back east to New York and watch him run. It'll be history in the making to be sure!

Sorry to be so long--I'm a real horseracing buff and I'm really excited for Smarty Jones and his entourage.

--Susan biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Becca
post Jun 1 2004, 09:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

I think we all have fallen in love with Smarty Jones and Co. You simply have to appreciate the horse------when given his head he accelerates like a quarter horse at sprint speeds. and you are right Susan, the Jock is masterful, knows his mount, and reads the track beautifully.

While his exercise runs are closely guarded, word has it that this horse has a remarkable recovery rate, and there ARE the rumors that this horse will excell at this distance----that he still had a lot left in him after the last race and could have gone a greater distance.

A Crown winner from Penn-------who'd a thunk it?

+Quote Post
Majid
post Jun 2 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #5

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 234

While I am not originally from Pennsylvania, it has been my home for several years. Smarty Jones came from a farm about 30 minutes from us. Everyone here in Southeastern Pennsylvania has been excited about this little horse!

Before the Kentucky Derby, some of the commentators pontificated that the owner should go with a big name jockey that had experience at the Derby level - that the Derby was not for amateurs. The owner said that he would trust his regular Philadelphia Park jockey, even though he had never ridden a horse in the Kentucky Derby. It was great to see the little horse, with the local jockey win the Derby and the Preakness!

The Governor declared a "Smarty Jones" day, and they are going to name a road after him, whether he wins the Belmont or not! He does appear to have what it takes to win, but like others have said, there are so many factors that play in a race. One can never be sure!

It is exciting and I hope that Smarty Jones will prevail in the Belmont. It would be good for racing in general. We will be cheering for him!

Majid

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest 1_*
post Jun 2 2004, 12:51 AM
Post #6

Guests

Smarty Jones, WOW what a horse.

Smarty Jones earlier in his career reared in a staring gate and cut and tore open his head to the point that the vets thought he couldn't be saved but, his owner insisted that he be saved because he was a very special colt.
Then the owner was offered a blank signed check to sell Smarty Jones and he declined.

WOW smarty move!

If he wins the thripe crown, he will be the only horse other than Seattle Slew, who has won the nine straight races, capturing the Triple Cown.

His owner Joe Chapman is 78 years old, in a wheel chair has lung problems.

A small breeder from Pennsylvania, did great at Kentucky and all over.
God Bless them both.

+Quote Post
HLM
post Jun 2 2004, 01:01 AM
Post #7

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 192

Hi everybody
I think Smarty Jones will win. I am in love with him, his smooth body, his humengous strides, his elegance and his courage and stamina. Yup, THAT'S A FLYING MACHINE.

It is such a pleasure, such delight to my eyes, to see him run, so smootly, so balanced, so effortlessly, and looking right through that bridle. What a brilliant little chesnut GIANT.

Now all tell me please, is it not this- (stress performance-) which makes our hearts pound, puts tears in our eyes and curls our blood?
Is this not it, which we wont forget, cant forget and want to
copy/own/see again and again? AND ON TOP OF IT ALL, IS HE NOT THE TYPIEST ENGLISH THOROUGHBRED ONE HAS SEEN?

Now, let's see/do this with a Straight Egyptian Arabian-
(we can always create a tripple crown too, cant we?)

Have a nice evening
Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity /Arabian Farms

+Quote Post
Stephanie
post Jun 2 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #8

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 353

Hi,

I'll burn a couple of candles to have him win it. We don't really get to see it over here in small Belgium, but if he wins, he'll be all over the place. But Go Smarty Go is all over the place on forums and such. For all those involved and for the horse himself, I really hope he makes it through. He's deserved it with his fantastic wins so far.

One thing too. I heard that the freak accident left him partially blind in one eye. If this is true, I find him even more amazing.

Best regards,
Stephanie

+Quote Post
Guest_guestGuest_*
post Jun 2 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #9

Guests

sorry folks but Rock Hard Ten will win the Belmont Stakes, and remember you heard it here first,

+Quote Post
HLM
post Jun 2 2004, 06:34 PM
Post #10

Advanced Senior Member

Well, you did not give your name, so we cant call you afterwards" a "Dreamer", ha!

Hansi rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Becca
post Jun 2 2004, 09:41 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Guest,

I'll give you this much...................I wouldn't be surprised tosee Rock Hard place....but win????? I don't think he has the lungs for it, nor the heart.

Granted, If Smarty doesn't break clean, If the jock miscalculates and gives him his head too soon, letting the horse blow himself out in the adrenalin of the first three quarters of a mile, Smarty might not win

As so many have said: There is a lot that could go wrong, but hopefully the stars will allign for him and he'll win.

+Quote Post
HLM
post Jun 2 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #12

Advanced Senior Member

Hi Beccca

Yu are so right. "Strategy" is everything, be it in flat or endurance racing. I guess we have to think "rommel", one of the greatest fo all times.

Hansi biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Jun 3 2004, 09:45 AM
Post #13

Guests

The one thing about a PA horse, they are trained to run in all weather conditions and track conditions. Probably a more consistant horse. I heard he was alot of sprint blood, but I think he's a distance horse (winning by over 11 lengths last time). I hope he wins big again.
I think we need another triple crown winner for inspiration. Go Smarty Go ! I'm proud to be a Pennsylvanian...

+Quote Post
Donna
post Jun 5 2004, 09:58 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 247

we had to hopefuls the last 2 years and we all got excited, but I don't think the excitement was half as much as this yr with Smarty Jones...Its the WAY he runs versus the others...He just gos, and go's leaveing everyone in the dust ..At the finish line he is still full and ready to keep going...Did anyone ever notice the way his jocky rides him...He keeps him behind the front horse till that last turn, brings him up beside the lead horse for a short time then lets him go...Who does that remind you of...Seabiscuit??? Of course I have watched that movie so much and Smarty Jones just so reminds me of him and the way he runs...both are small, both have alot of heart, and both look the lead horse in the eye before propelling foward and great spead....

I just pray he wins.....I didn't see Rock Hard Ten get close to him in the Preakness and with farther to go, I don't see him as a threat to Smarty....as long as things go well for Smarty....

+Quote Post
Becca
post Jun 5 2004, 03:58 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Hi Donna,

I think, at the end of the day, It will all boil down to luck and the cool headed thinking of the jockey. The man has the horse to win, now he just has to make the most out of the outside gate placement, and keep his horse from blowing out.

There is such drama surrounding this horse, it's owner, former trainer etc., that it is hard not to be drawn in.

In some circles, it is said that Rock Hard Ten will be up front..........if he is ridden properly this time............But, our best oddsmakers, our best analysts of horseflesh, tell us that Smarty is the best on the field.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 09:47
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.