This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chance Of A Lifetime
Marsina
post Aug 12 2004, 03:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1430

Hi All biggrin.gif

I have read some of Hansi's post on the expenses that go into an equine facility but I want to create a new post for more information.

I am planning a 100 acre state of the art equine facility. The facility will be for both english and western disciplines.

I want to hear everyone's suggestions with what they would do (or have done if you already own 100 acres yourself) with such land. How is the barn, etc planned out on your property? What facilities do you have? I want to hear all sorts of views and perspectives on everything. Names of people or businesses to contact regarding this type of information or any pictures you have or you have found on the internet will also help tremendously.

Here's what I have planned so far: English Riding Trails on the acreage, pasture turnout for the horses with large shelters to protect them from the weather, Three Covered Round Pens, Swimming Pool for exercise, 2 Covered Arenas (one for dressage/jumping with mirrors and a viewing lounge and the other for Western riding with viewing lounge), outdoor arena, 50 stall barn with 12x12 stalls, windows for each stall that can be closed so that the breeze can blow through but they can be shut in severe weather, blanket bars and halter bars on the front of the sliding stall door. Metal barn where bottom portion of stall is a metal piece but top half has tiny metal bars on each side so that the horses can see each other but not nip each other, with swinging hay/feed doors, raised center aisle for maximum airflow. Wash bays (how many?) saddling areas (how many?) vet area, concrete floors with rubber mats and shavings ontop, tack rooms (how many?), restrooms, office area, covered concrete trailer parking.

Thank you in advance for all the input.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Patricia Hampton
post Aug 12 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 191

No layout ideas but a couple of suggestions on other things. First, place your buildings where you have good drainage. Make sure shelters won't turn into mudholes during a hard rain. Second, design as much as possible so it can be cleaned with a tractor. Stalls in barns pretty much have to be hand cleaned but be sure you can get a tractor, or at least a bobcat into every run. Be sure your paddocks have shelters that can be readily cleaned by tractor. Develop a plan in advance for dealing with manure - it will build up quickly. If you can keep it clean, maybe on a cement pad, it will be easier to get dried and gone. See what gardeners in your area want in manure for fertilizer - it's easier to get rid of if you can use bedding that makes people want it. Remember, you can't have too many hydrants!!

+Quote Post
Marsina
post Aug 12 2004, 01:54 PM
Post #3

Thank you Patricia--you're right in that drainage is important--I don't want any hand dug ditches on my facility smile.gif

Does anyone know if it is possible to incinerate manure--how do you take care of disposing of manure for 50-100 horses?

Tractors are important too...need to look at the prices on those.

What do you mean by you can't have too many hydrants? By hydrants do you just mean hoses?

Ah, I also want a misting system in place too.

+Quote Post
bettyk
post Aug 12 2004, 02:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 274

Marsina,

There's a phenomenal facility here in the Kansas City area. Take a look at www.peeperranch.com and click on "Barn Pictures." That should give you some ideas!

+Quote Post
ALF
post Aug 12 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1457

This is more in the relm of the finishing touches...I strongly advise against automatic waterers unless they have a guage on them to tell you the horse's water consumption. These autowaterers can really cause huge problems if you cannot monitor the intake. Also, not many places do this anymore but a long chute about 300-500' long will really be a blessing for you. Lasma had one they used to trot their horses in, a larger one can be used for freejumping to develop the horses in conditioning programs. Another thing I always like to see is a training track. It only has to be about a quarter mile or so but this is a godsend when jogging horses or ponying to leg them up.

It sounds like a great facility in the making. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

+Quote Post
Teri
post Aug 13 2004, 01:18 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

How large are the indoor arenas and outdoor arena going to be? If your going to seperate the indoors by discipline, it'd probably be best to do more than one outside arena as well. English riders may want to jump, the western riders may want to practice reining or cutting moves (perhaps building an arena suitable for team penning/cutting/reining) would be a good idea? The reason I say this is because not everyone will want to ride in an indoor arena, especially if they plan on showing, a lot of places are outside. Heat & air conditioning for the indoors is a good idea.

I agree about automatic waterers, bad idea. While they seem like a good idea, IMO, they aren't. You can't tell how much water they are drinking and automatic wateres are much more difficult to clean, unless you shut the water off and have some form of draining mechanism on each one, algae grows in them, dirt gets in them and you may be able to scrub it, but you won't be able to get it all out of there (it automatically re-fills as you try and scoop water, dirt & algae out with your hand). Just a thought.

In the barn, fly systems, fans, air conditioning and heat are also a nice idea, have swing out feed doors.

Hot walkers for cooling a horse out or for exercise are nice (be sure to fence in around it if it's not the type thats already enclosed). I also like the idea of an exercise track. Hot & cold washracks are good.

TACK ROOMS, individual tack rooms for people, one per boarder (or per stall) with lights and an outlet.

Lots of plugs to be able to use clippers, etc easily. Have the outdoor arena lighted (12-15 feet tall), the whole property having lights would be nice as well. There are never too many places to tie horses.

Hmm...I could go on and on with things to do, it's nice to dream...LOL! Hope you have fun coming up with ideas and seeing it built!

+Quote Post
HLM
post Aug 13 2004, 01:45 AM
Post #7

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 192

Dear Marsina

Sounds great. Now tell me, what do you want to spent/ 1-4 million?
What you want would take a fortune to build and a fortune to maintain. So tell us first, what is the spending intention, and than may be some of us can advise you further.

Have a nice evening
Hansi biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Teri
post Aug 13 2004, 02:21 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I forgot to add that putting the barn at a higher level then the rest of the land may also help with poor weather, incase it ever floods, etc.

Teri

+Quote Post
Marsina
post Aug 13 2004, 03:16 AM
Post #9

Thank you Teri for all the ideas you gave...I forgot about the hot walkers..oh my goodness how could I have ever forgotten about those!!

Do you really think that the individual tack rooms are a good idea...perhaps the 50 stall barn would allow for enough space to do this...I'm thinking it sounds like a good idea.

Fans will be something to look at also...but I'm going to stay away from the automatic fly systems for right now...I don't know about all the pesticides.

Awesome ideas...thank You!!

+Quote Post
Marsina
post Aug 13 2004, 03:17 AM
Post #10

Hansi,

This is literally the chance of a lifetime. I am interested in having state of the art facility...price is not an option...Please let me know what your thoughts for a barn are.

+Quote Post
Teri
post Aug 13 2004, 04:38 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Hi Marsina,
At the facility I boarded at in California, not everyone had their own tack room, but if there was one available, they charged an extra $10.00/month for it.

They had some of the tack rooms as their own buildings, or added on to the side of the barn.

The main reason why I like the idea of everyone having their own tack room is because I always here people complaining and getting upset that their tack was stolen, or other things of theirs were being used without permission, in your own tack room space, this is not possible. I loved having my own tack room, it made it so I didn't have to worry about anyone taking anything, or, I wouldn't have to bother packing allmy tack, grooming supplies, etc in my vehicle every time I went to the barn. Doesn't need to be large. In the one I had, I could fit three saddles (top to bottom), both sides of the tack room had hooks to hang tack, and shelves along the top. Definately didn't mind paying the extra $10.00 a month for it!

In what way (shape) are you wanting to build the barn? Is it going to be something where there are stalls on both sides, stalls in the middle and aisleways inbetween the three? Oh, one thing I've noticed lately when people have asked about how big to make the aisleways, a lot of people said they would make them larger than 12feet wide, gives you more room to be able to drive things through it. Ventilation and insulation will be key, depending on your climate (not sure where you are).

The place I was at there also had showers for the boarders to use if they wanted, I never used it, some other people did...It's something that some like a lot and others could care less about, frankly, as long as there is a bathroom, I'm happy.

Is this facility going to be doing any breeding? If yes, breeding facilities may be a good idea as well as foaling stalls.

What sized horses are you going to be accomodating? A large horse may be uncomfortable in a 12x12.

Are you making this plan for yourself or drawing it up for someone else? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
al sana'a
post Aug 13 2004, 07:51 AM
Post #12

Advanced Senior Member

From: Brannan 21 7550 Hommelvik / Norway Tel. 004797461650
Member No.: 1268

Marsina,
sounds great. If you need someone for all the works with the horses and some experience just tell me. I really would like to work for you !!!!

+Quote Post
HLM
post Aug 14 2004, 02:50 PM
Post #13

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 192

Dear Marsina

Well now, that is different. I will ad to your ideas and that of other posters when I get back middle of next week.
What you intend to do, sounds great. We need something like this in eery country. so let's win the lotto and then donate the money.

Hansi biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
phanilah
post Aug 14 2004, 03:13 PM
Post #14

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 201

Hi Marsina,

You may want to contact Tucalota Creek Ranch in California. I saw a brief piece about it on America's Horse and it's quite the place (often referred to as a "spa" for horses).

I can only imagine what the initial contruction costs were and what the overhead is like in maintaining a place like that - but if $$$ isn't an issue, great!

Tucalota Creek Ranch
39560 East Benton Road
Temecula, CA 92592
909-302-8719 phone

Good luck!

Beth

+Quote Post
BobandEna
post Aug 14 2004, 08:26 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 407

Hi Marsin,

Just one tip, spend money on fire resistant electrical wireing.

I wish you all the best in your projected venture.

Bob cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 20:58
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.