This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anchor Hill Arabians
Michaela
post May 14 2003, 10:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 426

Dear Forum members!
I'd like to start a discussion about Anchor Hill Arabians.
I have to admit I know very little about that farm and breeding program but was drawn to it through the accomplishments of a horse bred at that farm, namely the stallion Anchor Hill Halim. I own a grandson of him and he is a striking engine of effortless stamina and the best character I ever owned.
Anchor Hill Halim was a famous long distance horse in Germany and a sire of quality get. In fact his daughter was Asil Cup Champion Mare and his son Asil Cup Champion Stallion in the very same year. Wow!
I learned that Anchor Hill Arabians stood stallions like Hadbah, and the Gleannloch stallions El Razal, Rofann, and owned at a time Al Metrabbi. Would anyone share their knowledge about that farm, their stallions and bloodlines with me? Are they still programs featuring the Anchor Hill bloodlines? Any famous horse with Anchor Hill bloodlines?
All is welcome to broaden my horizon.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
corbinmk
post May 14 2003, 12:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 40

I met a lady a few years ago who has been working on a book about Anchor Hill and its horses. She plans to publish it one day. She was one of the two people to walk out with the last of the horses and close the gate. She said then that the farm is still there but owned by different people. I believe her name is Terri.

Anyway, I have Anchor Hill Hamla in two of my mares' pedigrees. I was told Anchor Hill Hamla was an exceptional broodmare. She ended up somewhere in Texas. There is a head shot of Anchor Hill Hamla. That's all I know about her.

I would like to know more about Anchor Hill, too. Thanks for starting the thread.

+Quote Post
Guest_An American Breeder_*
post May 14 2003, 02:29 PM
Post #3

Guests

I am no authority on Anchor Hill but hopefully my reflections, thoughts will get this thread to take off. Anchor Hill was in Missouri and Dr. Atkinson was devoted to his Arabians. They have 2? sons, one of whom still has some Arabians and I think a grandchild is still showing. Anyway, their Arabians started out, I believe, as a family project and grew. There were several articles on the Atkinson family and their horses thru the years in both Arabian Horse World and the old Arabian Horse News from Colorado. smile.gif

They originally started with Egyptian-Crabbet horses and advertised every month in the News; it wasn't until later that they had their first straight mare, the mare Spiker mentioned, and she produced her own family. I now have a Granddaughter of Anchor Hill Bing Gamila, AK Rasima. tongue.gif After the sons were grown I remember Anchor Hill sold a huge package of foals, both born and coming in the future to someone in the West Coast NW region - Oregon??? This was before anyone else was selling large numbers as a package to one buyer. The Atkinsons could be counted on for honesty, integrity, truthfullness in all their dealings. To have an Anchor Hill horse, one never had any second thoughts as to the parentage. ohmy.gif

The Atkinsons went back to the Babson Roots of Hadbah and either obtained their SE Babson mare when they purchased Hadbah or later, don't remember. Anyway those two SE mares were it for them -- the others were from their Crabbet mares. And these horses could do it all, dressage, jumping, trail, pleasure, whatever your little ole heart desired and be happy campers doing it. I may not be correct but I hope I remember correctly that Mrs. Atkinson told me she and the Doctor had like a Bed and Breakfast operation, the Arabian horses were actually supposed to help in that, they were very remote, on rocky ground, and sometimes had trouble getting a farrier out to their place. There have been other stories written too -- like the one where they were returning from a show and the truck or trailer broke - something happened so the rest of the family unloaded the horses and rode to get help - mechanic??? -- leaving Dr. Atkinson with the young Al Metrabbi -- then as they were returning or in town, whatever, one of their horses called out and lo and behold, the unbroken Al Metrabbi was now coming towards them with Dr Atkinson on bareback. Seems the good Doctor got tired of waiting out there alone so - here they were. [Hope I remember this all correctly! LOL] biggrin.gif

Anway, up one month Anchor Hill advertises in the News (January stallion issue) they now have these young Babson stallions, one of which was Char Echo. Years later with their Hadbah fillies, they went to Gleannloch and selected Al Metrabbi who I think was shown by Tom McNair to US National Futurity Champion. Dr. Atkinson went Top Ten for sure or more with Al Metrabbi in US Nationals Trail. Needless to say, this family USED their Arabians. laugh.gif

In his later years Doug Marshall leased Al Metrabbi and all of those later productive years were with Gleannloch. Metrabbi returned to Mrs. Atkinson (the Doctor was then deceased) and lived only a couple of months with her. Mr Marshall first sent her the full brother to El Mareekh, the grey El Razal, and then Rofann for her use as a stallion while he had Al Metrabbi.

Some reflections of my own here and since I had a grandson of old Hadbah I am biased: My own personal belief is that Hadbah and Fadbah were the best sires the Babson Farm ever bred - they produced outstanding mares and stallions that were also top sires. Fay-el-Dine was an outstanding broodmare sire. I do confess that I have not kept current with the Babson breeding but I do believe those were that farm's shining hour. Al Metrabbi always gave some of himself but like his sire, went very strongly to the dam thus defeating Mr. Marshal's desire to produce another Morafic look-alike. Too few people study the pedigree and know anything about the horses in a pedigree -- thanks to the garbage of only the sire and grandsire is important teaching of the 80's and being practiced today as only the Sire is important.

+Quote Post
El Miladi
post May 14 2003, 06:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 341

This is a lovely topic, as Anchor Hill did have some truly wonderful horses, and they seemed to have consistently good dispositions as well as athletic ability. I owned a lovely daughter of Anchor Hill Azrak who was double Al Metrabbi, and bred her to my own *Morafic son with El Miladi Adeeba as the result. Anchor Hill Azrak was quite a typy stallion who was a performance champion in several disciplines in the United States. I also have the blood of Anchor Hill Hamla through her granddaughter, Glorieta Gashahla (chestnut mare in photo). Anchor Hill Hamla's pedigree is interesting because it combines the Babson blood of the Atkinson's stallion Hadbah with *Gamila, a Hadbah Enzahiyah mare imported in utero to the U.S in the late 1940's by breeder Daniel Gainey. Anchor Hill acquired *Gamila at age 12, I believe, and incorporated her into their breeding program. I visited Anchor Hill Hamla many times at Glorieta Ranch, and it seemed she always had yet another beautiful foal at her side -- she was truly a great broodmare.

I regret that I never had the opportunity to visit the Atkinson's at their farm in Missouri, but growing up in the Midwest region of the U.S., I did see many examples of the Anchor Hill horses and was always impressed.

Best Regards,

Cynthia Culbertson
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
El Miladi
post May 14 2003, 06:43 PM
Post #5

Here is El Miladi Adeeba, mentioned in the last post, with the blood of Anchor Hill Azrak, Amira Hadbah, and Al Metrabbi, all used or bred by the Anchor Hill program. Adeeba, by the way, is maneuvering her lips in this picture in hopes of coaxing a carrot from me!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Guest_Cathy_*
post May 14 2003, 06:55 PM
Post #6

Guests

Cynthia,

Can you email me privately? I have a question for you regarding last year's Egyptian Event. The folks at the Pyramid Society suggested that I talk with you....

Thanks,

Cathy Leichliter
caleichliter@health-partners.org

+Quote Post
Guest_An American Breeder_*
post May 14 2003, 07:25 PM
Post #7

Guests

Below is a photo of AK Rasima who also traces back to Gamila -- both the chestnut above and Rasima below are of the Hadban Enzahiyah family. Little early but the ultrasound says that Rasima is about 12 days pregnant to Waheeb, the last living son of Aseel, I think, in the United States. Hopefully the photo will post.

http://www.egyptian-arabian.com/farms/dhab...bi/rasima.shtml

+Quote Post
Ladypurr
post May 14 2003, 09:46 PM
Post #8

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 118

El Meladi--

Adeeba is just beautiful! I love her beautiful tossled mane and forelock. And what a dainty, lovely sculpted head!

I sure wish the Arabian show horse community would see the true beauty in NOT clipping bridle paths, whiskers, and shaving the hair above their eyes. Most every show horse you look at in the major Arab publications has their eyes shaved and goopy oil applied. I continue to view the Arabian horse makeup practices with great disdain.

Did you ever see the Atkinson's Hadbah son, Anchor Hill Hadud? I remember seeing a picture of him with one of their young family members riding him bareback. He looked like a real fine stallion.

Obviously you enjoy your horses!

--Susan wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ladypurr
post May 14 2003, 09:51 PM
Post #9

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 118

Dear American Breeder--

Wow! What a foal that will be!

Surround yourself with lucky charms and dream-catchers!

--Susan wink.gif

+Quote Post
corbinmk
post May 14 2003, 10:58 PM
Post #10

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 40

Seeing the article of Ruminaja Ali again and still giving me chills and goosebumps, especially the photo of R. Ali and Matt Bergren, I recommend that Cynthia Culbertson write an article about Anchor Hill farm for the Desert Heritage magazine! smile.gif

Ali Zaar has Anchor Hill Hamla in his pedigree.

+Quote Post
LauraHM
post May 15 2003, 12:14 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

As someone who has yet to own a horse but loves looking at pictures orf Arabians and attempting to draw them I also think they are much prettier without all that shaving! (still don't understand why they do it?)

I adore the picture of adeeba and would like permission to try and draw or paint it. I dont guarantee capturing any likeness though :-) Not sure I'm good enough but would like to try.

Laura H. Merrell
(P.S. Wish I had the opportunity to take my own photos of Arabians as I love photgraphy too, but just don't have the freedom to travel at present.)

Laura H. Merrell

+Quote Post
El Miladi
post May 15 2003, 02:51 AM
Post #12

It IS true -- some of us Americans despise the half-shaved mane look (as well as that awful makeup) and do keep our horses with natural manes! Unfortunately El Miladi Adeeba liked to keep her mane a little bit TOO natural, and loved to do "the Egyptian head toss" and tangle her tresses! Kept us busy untangling all the time.

Spiker, glad you liked the Ali article, and yes, it would be fun to do an Anchor Hill article. I hope that the Atkinson's sons have kept some scrapbooks and information, as the stories of such dedicated breeders, like the horses themselves, are irreplaceable. And behind all of the great horses are some great "human" stories as well that can be inspirational to us all. I promise to keep this in mind for a future Desert Heritage article. Oliver and Aleksi, I might add, are doing a great job on this site of presenting some great stories as well.

I also remember the "bareback" photo of the Hadbah son at Anchor Hill. Anchor Hill Azrak, whom I mentioned in an earlier post, is still living, last I heard, at age 26 and standing at stud to mares of Anchor Hill breeding!

Best Regards,

Cynthia Culbertson

+Quote Post
Guest_Dawn_*
post May 15 2003, 01:39 PM
Post #13

Guests

The very first arabian I came in contact with was from the Atkinson farm. He was the best baby sitter who taught my son and I how to ride. The Atkinson had closed their gates by the time I came into the arabian horse world however I heard some great stories about the family.

My half arabian dam was bred by Henry & Evelyn Sandlas Jr. and Mr. Atkinson loved the mare so much he bought her. Ravenwood Shamura sire is Anchor Hill Haid. Shamura has passed on a wonderful personality to all of her foals. The first stallion I ever had contact with was Khemberrys Quest and I must say I was completely captivated by that boy. I rode him everytime I went out to Stehle Arabians and had a blast.

+Quote Post
Guest_Brenda_*
post May 15 2003, 02:58 PM
Post #14

Guests

Some of the best SE horses have Anchor Hill blood. Other outstanding Anchor Hill Straight Egyptians are Anchor Hill Annah (US Top Ten Trail Horse), Anchor Hill Halim (German Endurance Champion) and Anchor Hill Omar (South African National Champion). These people new how to breed beautiful and athletic Arabians.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 00:55
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.