This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Winter Farm Activities
Guest_shirley arndt_*
post Jan 15 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #1

Guests

Winter can be boring. Just some ideas we use to keep active and get outside people in to see the straight Egyptians.
Every year we host a Christmas Party to raise money for a Charity. Our boarders and students bring baked goods to sell. We set up a silent auction. We decorate the horses with antlers and red bows and give "reindeer rides". The handlers are my students who dress up for the day as elves. We also sell hot chocolate and coffee. We request everyone that comes bring an unwrapped toy or food. Seeing as the Therapeutic riding now works out of my barn we decided the money we raised would go to them this year and the food and toys to Community CAres. We (and the horses) raised over $1,000. for the therapeutic riding and probably over $500. in toys and food. The horses love the day as they get attention all day long.
I will try to post pictures but I am not usually very successful.
\
Activity #2. We were in touch with our local fire department and discussed the fact that firemen need to learn to handle horses a little and learn some of their innate behaviors in case there was a fire. They will not let owners etc into the barn in a fire so you really want your firemen to have a little knowledge so they can hopefully save your horses for you.
Afterwards we had two nights of training the firemen. They learned about typical horse behaviors, how to put a halter on, how to make a halter out of a piece of rope, where to find things in the typical barn, and lastly how to lead a horse even when they are a bit excited. For that they walked them in the arena and then I would rattle a can to get them a bit excited. The firemen learned to handle the behavior.
They learned a lot and I gained as they now know where everything is in my barn that they would need. They had a great time and want to come back for other drills.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_shirley arndt_*
post Jan 15 2005, 03:43 PM
Post #2

Guests

here are some pics
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 08:29
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.