This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.
straightegyptians

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The New Book
Guest_Guest_*
post May 27 2003, 02:32 PM
Post #1

Guests

Well, all across the country, the UPS men have been rigourously training their bodies and improving their strength in order to be able to LIFT and deliver the most anticipated publication from one "wild and crazy" turbaned lady! Hot dang!!

AUTHENTIC ARABIAN BLOODSTOCK II aka "EVERY DAMNED HORSE WHO EVER LIVED"

In the newest issue of Arabian Horse World Quarterly, Judi Forbis offers a quote from the new book "if it's quotable, you know it is coming soon to a theater near you"

Having determined to become a breeder, one should also understand that breeding is an art and to become successful, it must be treated as such. Keep in mind that each breed has its own standard. That standard states those features that represent the ideal physical specimen of the breed as well as its inner qualities of spirit, courage and pride. The word that best describes the qualities of the standards is TYPE. An Arabian Horse is typey or not typey according to how it approaches the perfection set forth in the standard. TYPE is also an appreciation of quality in the EDUCATED EYE of the beholder. The three most important attributes to remember in the creative art of selecting and breeding horses and in setting a goal for one's breeding program are TYPE, TYPE, TYPE. Know your breed before you try to breed it and then uphold (don't try to change) the standard.

God bless you Judi Forbis for continuing to be the champion of the classic Arabian Horse! you've got my vote for President!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
barbara.gregory
post May 27 2003, 06:13 PM
Post #2

Gold Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 202

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the new book. When Judith Forbis was judging the first Egyptian Event in UK I took my copy of Authentic Arabian Bloodstock and asked her to sign it. She asked my name and made the signature personal; my book is even more precious now.

If you read this forum, Judith, a huge thank you. What a nice lady you are. I will try and catch you sometime to sign my new book when I get it (if I am strong enough to lug it to a show, sounds a mammoth volume). It may even replace the original as my favourite book!

Regards

Barbara

+Quote Post
HLM
post May 27 2003, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Advanced Senior Member

Member No.: 192

Well thank you "guest" without a name, it is most interesting

I have seen very,very few SE's which were NOT typy.
One at once could recognize these to be an ARABIAN HORSE. But I have seen many "Typy:" Se's which had severe conformation problems,. If we continue breeding for a "typy" Arabian, which to many people means a "head" than we should consider the "Ungly" rest of the body, which might not conform to what a horse is supposed
to do. it would be so rewarding to see, how the "typy" arabians , or should I say, a particular "type" perform under stress. Will I live that long???

Indeed breeding is an art and trial and error its ingedience.
But let's try to breed a funtional Arabian first maintaining the "look/silhuette" of an arabian horse.

All experienced riders know, that a long thin neck is the most dangerous portion on a riding horse. the neck is the horse's "fifth" leg, which he/she uses to stay in balance or prevent nasty falls. also the area from the cheek bone downward, if too short, makes the animal star gaze, rather than seeing way back to detect pretidors, problems, danger etc. Remember the horse is "fare sighted" forward, not only upward. Just take a look at animals in the wilderness, and how nature shaped them for survival.

Every book teaches us something from the experiences of the author. Some books are totally farm oriented and serve those who happen to like products thereof.
Others like some different, and each to its own has to decide what to breed for or aquire.

Have a nice day
Hansi biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Acorn Arabians
post May 27 2003, 09:24 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 138

What a farm to be orientated from though!Credit where credit is due.
I thank Judith Forbis every day of my life for what she has made possible at my farm.May she have another 40 years to celebrate! biggrin.gif gbfahne.gif

+Quote Post
HLM
post May 27 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #5

Advanced Senior Member

Hi Acorn

I think it is wonderful they way you think and feel. Every horse owner, who has had enjoyment, success, will feel this way too. Many of us are most grateful to those who made it possible for us to own and breed what we love and enjoy.

Have a nice evening
Hansi biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mahaya
post May 27 2003, 11:51 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 32

How can I get a copy of this book, and how much would it cost?

Anna

+Quote Post
Oliver
post May 28 2003, 08:28 AM
Post #7

Gold Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Just go to the site of THE PYRAMID SOCIETY
- there you'll find all the information you need.
Price: 135 US Dollars plus shipping & handling
and will be available Mid-June.

+Quote Post
mahaya
post May 28 2003, 11:45 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 32

Thanks Oliver!

+Quote Post
Acorn Arabians
post May 28 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #9

I am so pleased you think that way too Hansi. biggrin.gif
I have a Serenity descendant here also by the way.She produced the most exquisite straight filly for me last year, but it wasnt meant to be.The great paddock in the sky felt the need to take her from me..
have a good day too.
bfn
Helen gbfahne.gif

+Quote Post
HLM
post May 29 2003, 12:28 AM
Post #10

Advanced Senior Member

Hi Acorn
I am so sorry to hear that you lost that filly. which is the Serenity line in her?

It always hurts so much to let those young ones go, actually to let any go, but I feel, there is always a reason for everything. that's not very comforting at the time, but eventually we find out.

Have a nice evening and lots of luck and best wishes for all the rest of your horses and you.

Hansi biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post May 29 2003, 04:03 PM
Post #11

Guests

Hi everyone,

Next week, people will have the opportunity to preview the new book...and in looking at the picture of the cover, I noticed the caption that accompanies the title: The Story of Ansata and Sharing the Dream. What really struck me were the words SHARING THE DREAM. In a few of the posts made, people expressed a similar statement of gratitude. Over what, 50 years, Judi Forbis has shared what she has learned, through her experiences, in finding, obtaining, breeding and loving the classic Arabian Horse. We have become an educated community, as a result of her efforts. Do these words really grab you, as much as it does me? Much of what we understand and believe in today, was not common knowledge or understood, as they are today, when Judi started out. There were no experts, there were no roganizations, there were no books to guide her in Egyptian Arabian Horse breeding....she was alone, on her own, with just the faith that somewhere on this planet, the horse she knew from the paintings of Vernet and Schreyer existed. And she set out to find it. In magazines of the day, she contributed articles. People were learning, through her eyes. As she saw, we saw. As she understood, we understood. As she saw, we saw. We became aware only as she became aware. Later on, in her books, she expanded upon the knowledge she offered in her articles. There was no one else who offered the knowledge that Judi shared with the world.

So here we are, in 2003, with another major publication from Judi and what has captivated me are the words SHARING THE DREAM. How much more can she share? How much more knowledge can she offer? What more can she teach us?

The gratitude that I feel towards Judi is overwhelming, when you consider her lifetime of sharing, as she has generously done. And I just don't want to miss the opportunity to remind everyone of the significance of Judi's efforts. So much of what we hear and read today, takes for granted all that we have come to enjoy. It is as if we have become "spoiled"; we have come to expect what we know and love today, without realizing the tremendous effort that has been expended to make this knowledge readily available. Farm promotion? Well, yes, Ansata has set a standard, by which all Egyptian Horses are measured. Ansata has bred and raised horses that have much influence over the world. Just as I think that Ansata has bred the most glorious horse that can ever be bred, along comes another horse to show me how foolish this thought is! None of this has been kept secret by Judi and if we are all serious about breeding horses that embody the unique characterisitics of the Arabian breed, wouldn't it make sense to really study a program that produces classic horses as consistently as Ansata does? We can praise, we can glorify, we can be thankful, why hell, we can criticize too but in the very act of doing all these things...one fact becomes obvious...this farm, this program, this breeder has become such an integral part of the Arabian Horse World consciousness, so universally significant, that people just can't stop talking about Ansata, good, bad or indifferent.

So, in a very small way, I offer tribute to Judi Forbis, as someone who has benefited from all of her contributions, with my mind, with my heart and with my soul.

Thank you Judi for the joy that all your horses bring into my life and I can't wait to read the new book and broaden my horizons.

Ralph Suarez

+Quote Post
Guest_Caryn_*
post May 30 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #12

Guests

I enjoyed reading your post, Ralph. I feel much the same way. Judi Forbis has certainly "shared" the dream, but perhaps even more than that, she has done so much to "perpetuate" the dream for many generations of breeders. As you once mentioned, if anyone can understand the important relationship between form and function, it is the "girl jockey" who raced against Arab men in the Middle East so many decades past -- something absolutely unheard of. Judi's innate value for correct ARABIAN conformation, and how that equates with ARABIAN functionality has been well demonstrated in her written works. Yet the artist's eye would not be satisfied with only the most athletic, the fastest of Arabians. Judi Forbis had a dream-vision from early on, and that vision was encapsulated in exquisite beauty and extraordinary Arabian type. To the great benefit of so many breeders over the past forty years, she made that vision into flesh and blood reality...and kept it going.

I don't believe that extreme type should be positioned at the opposite end of the pole from functionality. It is not an "either/or" issue. Also, I don't believe that the absence of type equals ugliness. Certainly a horse can still be a beautiful animal in many ways yet be lacking in ARABIAN type. Yet, if the goal is to produce breeding specimens which reach the pinnacle of the breed in every way, type is a paramount consideration.

While I couldn't say I've ever seen an "ugly" Straight Egyptian (or an ugly Arabian for that matter), I have certainly seen plenty who I felt were lacking in Arabian type to various degrees. I have also seen many non-Straight Egyptian Arabians who were screaming with "type". My conclusion is that it is not only the ingredients which give value to the creation, but it is more precisely the skill in which they are mixed together. The pedigree is what provides predictibilty over the long term, but the answer to the question, "predicable what?" depends primarily on the
breeding philosophy and the eye of the individual breeder. It seems to me that Judi's advice to think "type, type, type" is equally valuable to a all Arabian breeders.
Caryn

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post May 30 2003, 04:34 AM
Post #13

Guests

Thanks Caryn...although I have to admit that I read my post numerous times and failed to notice the spelling errors and redundant phrasing! geezus christmas...I am mortified.

So, here's this early book, HOOFBEATS ALONG THE TIGRIS, which recounts Judi and Don's adventure in Turkey, successfully racing Arabian Horses. This was rough and tough racing. This was racing racehorses that Judi and Don picked out, trained, conditioned, nurtured, and cared for. Horses that possessed the necessary conformation to successfully race, in harsh conditions.

So, even in this early stage of this amazing adventure, as I finish reading this book, tucked in the back, in the appendix, there is this one little paragraph, which goes something like this:

Our search has been for the ideal classical Arabian Horse portrayed by the artists and poets of the past; the ultimate in beauty, nobility, symmetry, grace and spirit. These are the pearls of great price which, as of yore, can still be found if one searches diligently...

Judi has remained constant in her focus, never wavering and never compromising. She has determined a course of action, from a very young age, which has significantly impacted Egyptian Arabian Horse breeding. There has not been anyone quite like Judi, at least not in this modern age. Over the years, her message remains the same. She continues to be the champion of the classic Arabian horse. In a day and age when our breed standard has been open to much interpretation, it is quite comforting and refreshing to have an enduring voice, reminding us of its crucial importance.

I wish that my foundation can be as solid as Judi's has and continues to be. But isn't that how life is? We find the greatest lessons of life, in the most unlikely places.

+Quote Post
Acorn Arabians
post May 30 2003, 08:56 AM
Post #14

Hey Ralph,
I thought your post was full of passion and really the spelling only re iterates that ! -No need to be mortified.
I cannot wait to get my hands on this book.
biggrin.gif Helen gbfahne.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 07:03
This site requires the Adobe Flash Player.