Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Partnership
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - Übersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
What is everyone's thoughts on partnerships in horses? Can I please hear the good, the bad and the ugly?

Any advice is appreciated.
BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD....NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN! Hope this helps
I would NOT recommend it. I did it once and never seen one penny from the other 'so-called' partner. It's worse than loaning money to relatives !!! dry.gif
Liz Salmon
I absolutely don't recommend it !!
Coralie
BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD !!!!!

Don't doing that !!!
I prefer one horse mine, no two horse with just a part of horses !!
CarolHMaginn
Don't do it - Horses are very personal and partnerships rarely work out.
Thank you, thats what I thought.
brigitte sprave
Dear guest,

if both partner are serious, you don´t have any problems.

I have a very good partnership with Frank Spönle, without any problems.

Regards

Brigitte Sprave
Guest_Robert 1_*
Hi to all,
When two horses are put into harness and are ask to do a job, it works well if they both do their share, sometimes the weight of the wagon couldn't get moved if it weren't a joint venture. wink.gif

Robert,
Echo Hill Arabians
Sumerlan
Guest:

The word 'partnership' . . .let's see, part of a ship . . .parts of a ship sink, don't they?

Sumerlan
Partnership equals lawsuit.

Hope you have good attorney, time & XXXXXXXXXXXXX number of dollars to spend
And can afford to lose a friendship which obviously you have faith in at the moment. . . this is the heartbreaking 'part' of a partnership.
partner
Its just as bad as one of those life time breedings. I asked what happened to the deal with ALi Barba and people had to tell me offline. Everyone is always scared to talk. But basically all the investors got screwed. And the horse never even showed because noone wanted him going up against the other stallions.
CarolHMaginn
I think the only way to do a decent partnership is where all you do is share the stallion's bills and for that you get breedings for foals that are completely in your name - not breedings where the resulting foal is shared and must be sold. Basically then its just and advance payment for breedings which I think is okay. All that said - I wouldn't do it - its just not a good feeling to have your future tied to some other people unless its your spouse.

QUOTE (partner @ Jan 23 2006, 08:12 PM)
Its just as bad as one of those life time breedings. I asked what happened to the deal with ALi Barba and people had to tell me offline. Everyone is always scared to talk. But basically all the investors got screwed. And the horse never even showed because noone wanted him going up against the other stallions.
Guest_LMG_*
Partnerships with assests generallly equal a guaranteed retirement fund for the attorney representing the partnership, and also for the two or more attorneys who are called in to represent the interests of each of the partners during the dissolution of the partnership and to prosecute or defend law suits for or against the partnership. And, depending on where you live and law of the area, in a true partnership, one partner can act independently of the other's knowledge and incur debts and other liabilities in the name of the partnership.

It's sort of like marriage.

LMG
Guest_LMG_*
That word should have been assets.

LMG
Guest_nasheeta_*
Saskia Klaassen and I have a partnership concerning Manara Samira. We started the partnership in 1999 and it's 2006 today so I guess it worked for us. We have one and the same goal : to make a proven distance horse out of Samira. So far we succeeded in this or started to succeed in this, since she completed a couple of small rides and now we aim for more. On breeding we might or might not share the same goals but so far, there are no plans to breed this mare.

In the past 7 years we learned a lot from eachother, as to horses in general, Samira, friendship, and we both share a passion for research, writing and photography which all resulted in our book Impressions. Another result of our partnership. Maybe it's also nice to hear a primarily happy story among the bad/sad ones..

I am about to start another partnership with Flying Horse Farm concerning their endurance mare, a partbred Arab. I hope and think it will work out very nicely again, for everybody involved.

warmest wishes,

brigitte
Nasheeta endurance Arabians
www.nasheeta.com
Guest_Desert Tag Arabians_*
Partnerships are a bad idea. However, if you are determined to do it, here are a few things to consider:

1. Where will the horse be boarded? If the horse is boarded at one partner's farm, how much does the other person pay? Is the person who is not boarding the horse expected to do anything (in regards to care) other than pay the agreed-upon fee (such as take care of paperwork, manual labor at the farm, required visits to the farm, etc.).

2. In regards to the health of the horse...Are vet costs shared equally, or does the owner who does not board the horse pay extra (since the one boarding the horse would be taking time out to meet the vet)? What happens if the horse requires a large vet bill? What if one partner cannot come up with the money to pay for the extra expenses?

3. If the horse is shown, how will these bills be divided? Who will take care of transport? Who will show the horse? Remember, you must agree (before you get to this point) on the training of the horse...who does it, how that person is paid, where the horse is boarded while it is trained, etc. These costs will need to be agreed upon as well.

4. If the horse is a stallion standing at stud, how will you sell breedings? How will you divide the money? How many breedings does each partner get for personal use? You will need to agree to any marketing investments and how this bill will be divided as well. If one partner takes care of the marketing, how is this service figured into payments? Here you get into advertising (free and paid), professional photos, back again to training, vidoes, AI, back again to vet costs, etc. etc. etc.

5. What happens if one partner wants to sell and the other doesn't? Is there a buy-back option? Can one partner sell to another party? And how does this affect the original contract? And if both partners agree to sell, how will this money be divided?

6. In the event that the horse dies, is there an insurance policy? How is this money divided? Who takes care of burial expenses? In the event you have a partnership with a stallion, Did you have lfg's? And, if so, did you promise a breeding to another stallion or money back to the mare owner if the stallion dies? How will this money be paid (who is responsible)?

7. If one of the partners dies, does the horse go directly to the other partner for full ownership (if so, is there a life insurance policy on the partners tongue.gif )? Or, can the family of the deceased sell their shares in the horse to another party? Does that partner's promised personal breedings go to the family as well?

8. Again, if it is a stallion, what if he is injured and sick and can no longer breed mares? First, once again, those vet bills up until that point will need to be taken care of, and then you must decide whether to geld him, sell him, or what. Both parties must agree.

9. If you are sued for a liability case (the horse hurts someone or gets in the road and causes an accident or whatever) how is this taken care of? Is there insurance to cover accidents? What if one partner can't pay for the sued amount?

10. If the horse by one partner (and the other retains their half-ownershi) are they liable for any further costs after the horse sells? There may be old bills that were over-looked and come up after the horse sells. In the case of a stallion, a mare owner may return for a re-breeding because of a live foal guarantee...does the partner who sold out owe half on that re-breeding?

11. If the horse is shown, and wins money, how is that divided, or is it re-invested in the horse? This will need to be agree upon. Remember, you might agree to reinvest the money, and then BAM! A tragedy strikes one partner and he/she changes her mind about the agreement and asks for half the money for expenses. Is there a clause where agreements can be changed?

All of this, and much more, would need to be in a contract. A horse is a living being, and often one that has as much emotional investments as it does monetary investments. It also is a large animal that requires a lot of care. Not only is money involved, but hard work by SOMEONE will take place to care for this animal, esp. if it is shown.

Sooooo many things can go wrong in a partnership of this sort. A very long, solid, and clear contract helps, but there is no guarantee as to what can happen. One partner can just ignore the contract and doe what he/she likes and it would take lots of money and time in court to get back what is owed or lost. There are lots of simple things...for example....one partner houses the horse, and even though both parties had agreed (orally) to not allow children to ride the horse, partner #1 goes ahead and lets his neice ride the horse anyway. Neice is thrown and breaks her leg, her parents want money for hospital costs and pain and suffering...Partner #2 says "I TOLD you not to do that! I'm not paying anything!". Partner #1 says "In our contract we AGREED to go half on any liability costs."

And so on, and so on. The problems that can arise are never-ending. The one thing you don't remember to put into the contract is the one thing that can and will come up at some point. And, one partner can at some point just say "I'm not happy with this contract anymore. I want to change it." The other partner can refuse, but a rift is then made that makes it impossible for the two parties to work together thereafter.

Money can be lost, friendships can be ruined, and dreams can be spojled from partnerships.
Georgia
Just ask the partners of the 2005 Kentucky Derby winner!!!

Things seem to work well if you have the money or the one with the time and all stick to what was decided. Things always seem to work out better if the horse is successful and progressing nicely.

I did it once, was a mess. I trained Standardbred Race horses and a friend at work begged me to let him buy part of a horse.. a year later I gave in and decided it might work out ok. The deal was he wanted to learn to care for horses so part of the deal was his coming to the stable nightly and work/learn for part of the partnership. It did take time out of my night to go over everything and help also.
But, I like creating more horse owners.
I would buy the feed and stabling for the horse and train the horse for his
cleaning stalls and grooming (and he couldn't learn unless he did). First started not showing up and then not paying his part of the payment for 50% he had purchased on time. Thank goodness we were only into this a couple months and I just didn't sign over on half of the horse and took it back. We were even as I cared for the horse for that two months. He kept promising that he just had other things he needed to do and would be there next week.. well next week never came. Had he done what he had agree to it would have worked out perfectly.

I leased a mare that turned out perfectly fine on a every other foal basis. I kept my part of the bargain. Even if things don't turn out to be a money maker, if both do as agreed then I think things work out fine. I had to work hard to get the mare in foal as it ended up she had cysts on her ovary's, but I put in the extra effort and we both got two beautiful fillies each even!!

Georgia
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.