Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Darius Again
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - Übersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
Guest_Daniel_*
In another thread the German bred stallion Darius was mentioned as one of "the" foundation stallions of teh South African breed.
Can someone provide me with more information about him´and photos of him and of his get?
I know where he was bred and his pedigree ... but that's it.
Kromar Arabian Stud
Hi Daniel

I've posted some info of Darius in the post of Omar El Shaker (on page 3 of this forum from post 13 onwards).
There is some foto's also included.
Hope it helps.

Greetings
Marika Steynberg
Mafoura
Hi Daniel,

it`s a bit much to tell all about Darius and his children, grand children, etc. in this forum. I´m not sure if anybody can write as much as he want because of space.
Nevertheless, if you like, I will send you anything I have, including photos of some of his children and grand children. I´M really happy and proud to be able through Zandri Reynolds to know right now a lot about Darius` life after us and to get frozen semen from Exclusive, a Darius`grand son. Maybe you know him already; he was the moviestar in Walt Disney`s "The Young Black Stallion". So, I will get back a little from our friend "Darius".
Thank God, one wonderful filly (3 crosses to Darius) was sold to UK, 15 years after Darius died.

Johrhemar Nagwa ( Johremar Gazel x Johrhemar Munifa):

Johrhemar Gazel ( Hamasa el Fagr x Gazella bint Masri) /
Johrhemar Munifa ( Vidiko Mhalak x Ridwaan Negma)
Vidiko Mhalak ( Darius x Vidiko Maraka)

The second and third picture shows the dark Exclusive.
Pics from Darius you can also see in the thread Ghazal and Omar el Shaker.

Enjoy the pics, thanks for your question wonna knowing more about this stallion !

And last not least sorry for my bad English.

I hope the pics are included....
Mafoura
sorry, I think there went something wrong with the fillies pic. I tried to change it in jpg. that anyone is able to open it; now I see that I didn`have any idea how to realize it.

Have to learn !!
The German Arabian-Newsletter "Arabische Notizen" wrote about Darius:

"Der Hengst Darius (Ghazal x Darsi), gezogen von Herrn Hillenbrand, wurde zunächst an Heinz-Rüdiger Merz verkauft. Der plante eigentlich einen Einsatz von Darius auf seinem Gestüt Om el Arab. Dieses musste jedoch ohne ihn zu Weltruhm gelangen, denn Darius trat den weiten Weg nach Südafrika an.

Darius ließ die Züchter Südafrikas nicht kalt. Er erfreute sich als Deckhengst großer Beliebtheit. Noch heute gilt er als einer der Gründerhengste der Vollblutaraberzucht in Südafrika. Viele seiner Nachkommen wurden hochprämiert auf Schauen, und man findet kaum einen Champion in Südafrika, der in seiner Abstammung nicht den berühmten Darius führt".

Maybe anyone can translate this for you. rolleyes.gif
Daniel,

sehr erstaunlich, dass Sie sich um nichts mehr kümmern, wenn Sie solche Fragen gestellt haben.

Mittlerweile verstehen viele oder besser, wissen viele, wer Sie wohl sind.

Danke, Mafoura,

Doris Hillenbrand
Mafoura
to Marika:I cannot find your e-mail address anymore, so here:

Some of the wonderful words, Zandri Reynolds wrote me, after knowing that Darius` breeder was my father and Darius stayed with me until he was almost 8. My father died very young, when Darius was 6, and I was a very young girl. I only know Zandri since last month, sadly not yet in person. I didn`t know anything about his carreer; only a bit through Mr. Voorendyk sen., many years ago at the phone in Darius` beginning carreer.
I had to give our horses away to a German breeder, because I was still at school and earning no money. This breeder sold Darius to South Africa.

Zandri Reynolds wrote to me:
We are so fortunate to have so many of Darius in our stable. I was so very fortunate to have met Darius in real live on more than one occasion and although it is over 15 years ago, some weeks before he died, it feels like yesterday, he made such an impression on me, he walked out of his stable like he owns the world. It was a photo of Darius ( his head looked like it was sculptured to perfection) that made up my mind to breed Arabian horses, it took me 2 years to buy a Darius daughter, Niha ( her name means “the last one”, she was her dam’s last foal); he sired less foals, so you couldn`t easily buy, also they are very expensive; I’ve never regret that; less than a year later I bought Shah-Bee as a 8 month old colt and traveled nearly 300 km with him in the box, little did I know then , that Shah-Bee would be his 2nd last son. The year I bought Shah-Bee was a triumphant one for Darius, he sired both the In-Hand Supreme Stallion and Mare (Sayidi is Shah-Bee’s full sister) and the Reserve Supreme Stallion was also his son, he also won the get of sire class at that same RSA Nationals. Till this day, more than 15 years after his death, Darius still holds the record for winning the most Get of Sire classes, an astonishing 8 times! Me, along with lots of fellow South Africans, firmly believe that Darius took the RSA Arabians from just another horse to an exquisite Arabian, words can’t really explain just how much I adore, admire and appreciate Darius.

I can assure you that Darius was adored by the Voorendyks, he had a Royal live with Victor and later Koos. On the day Darius died , most of RSA were at a show and the terrible news brought a halt to the show. Although 24, Darius died much to young; we are quite a small stud, but I try to buy up all the Darius related horses so that I can preserve that wonderful legacy. I know Koos has about 6 Darius daughters and then there is a couple more with other breeders, Shah-Bee also has a full brother Vidiko Shubak, who was a junior champion .

In your tiny child’s hands Darius might have been a tiny little foal, here in RSA he truly is a legend, an icon and thee epitome of Arabian horses and considered by many as “thee stallion” in RSA history of Arabian horses, till this day he has a huge “fan club” and in USA they might count the crosses to Bask, here we count the crosses to DARIUS!
As you know Darius was imported by Victor Voorendyk to RSA, I never knew him, but his son Koos, who now runs the Vidiko stud. Darius lived his entire live with the Voorendyk family at their farm in Transvaal. He was never shown in RSA and sired 78 foals in total, like I said Darius holds the record for winning the Get of sire class the most times, he is the only sire in RSA history to sire both the Stallion & Mare Supremes in the same year, in that year he also won the get of sire class and the Res Supreme Champion Stallion and Res Senior Champion Stallion was all sired by him. The Champion filly, Junior Champion Filly and Res Supreme Champion Mare were all Darius grand daughters. In total Darius sired 1 Supreme Champion Stallion, 3 Res Supreme Champion Stallions, 4 Res Senior Champion Stallions, 2 Junior Champion Stallions, ,1 Supreme Champion mare, 1 Senior Champion mare, 3 Junior Champion mares & 3 Res Junior Champion mares, a National Costume Champion & Res National Costume Champion, a National Western Pleasure Champion & Res National Western Pleasure 7 a Res Open Riding champion. All this is just at RSA National Championships, there is plenty more at regional and smaller shows, to many to mention all.

Here in RSA there is also a group of people that did not fancy Darius and they have told the story that he could not get a breeding license back in Germany, but I can assure you that even that could not damped Darius popularity . Those who loved him and admired him just maintained that thanks to those people that refused the license RSA where fortunate to get him (I always maintain that God has a purpose for everything) now that I know the true sad story, our horses are just that much more special. And for those that disliked him, Darius just inspired them to breed or import something that could beat his exquisite children in the show ring, not that that happened all to often, Darius children were hard, almost unbeatable. So your beautiful Darius came to RSA and for years, even today, he has made such an impression and inspired so many people, he really did take the RSA Arabians and uplifted the standards and quality like no other stallion has done. I doubt very much whether any other stallion will ever go down in the history books with the same fame that Darius has written himself and his name( the name you chose for him). With the Voorendyks, he had a lovely paddock overlooking the fields of the mares and the Voorendyks had a policy to keep their visitors book at the stables, about 800 m away from the house, so if you wanted to see the horses, especially Darius, you had to walk to the stables. Victor Voorendyk maintained that only those would did the trouble of walking to the stables was to sign his visitors book, Koos kept that policy.

I told you about a filly, 3 x related to Darius that was sold to UK, Johrhemar Nagwa, below.
Johrhemar Nagwa ( Johremar Gazel x Johrhemar Munifa)

Johrhemar Gazel ( Hamasa el Fagr x Gazella bint Masri) /
Johrhemar Munifa ( Vidiko Mhalak x Ridwaan Negma)
Vidiko Mhalak ( Darius x Vidiko Maraka)

So, a part of Darius is back to Europe !!!
Please excuse some of the photos quality, they are really old and all I could find, I hope you enjoy this trip down memory lane…..

one of the last photos taken of Darius, age 24 ,
about a month before his death on 30 May 1991

Some of his children:
Vidiko Mhalak, RSA Supreme Champion Stallion

Vidiko Sayidi, RSA Supreme Champion Mare

Sidi Ghazal, Reserve Cup Champion Stallion, back when he was born, it was almost unheard of to breed a Straight Egyptian mare to a non-straight stallion; well his breeder Jack Maritz bred Lar Malika, a Straight Egyptian imported mare, to Darius
Vidiko Gamil Grey, Darius’ eldest son. He was champion in-hand as well as under saddle many times
Vidiko Hassabah, not shown very much, but still breeding beautiful foals
Vidiko Kamar, many times a Champion mare

some of his Grand Children:
Sadat Ibn Gamil Grey, an in-hand as well as multi ridden champion, one of very few Arabians to compete very successfully in Open competitions, winning many prestigious awards in Open shows against the very best of RSA horses of all breeds .
Johrhemar Batalaa, daughter of Vidiko Mhalak, many times in-hand champion, unfortunately died when she could not foal, leaving no off spring

Sidi Anastasia & Sidi Nima, full sisters, the 2 half sisters of Exclusive, out of the same dam, Sidi Istasha, a double Darius grand daughter. Both these fillies have been Top 5 RSA Nationals Champions

Exclusive

2001 South African National Supreme Champion Colt
2002 Namibian Junior & Supreme Champion Stallion
*The only South African bred Arabian stallion to hold a National Supreme Championship in 2 countries!
Sidi EXCLUSIVE
2000 grey stallion
SCID CLEAR TR Scarlet Scorpion Nariadni Nabeg Arax x Angara
Nariadnaia Aswan x Neposeda
HK Kuzata Muscat Salon x Malpia
Kuzyna Numizmat x Nemezida
Sidi Istasha Maistro The Minstril Ruminaja Ali x Bahila
Amiri Sanaa The Egypt Prince x AK el Sanaa
Vidiko Istanina Vidiko Mhalak Darius x Vidiko Maraka
Vidiko Hadsi Darius x Vidiko Avaris

Exclusive – With the launching of the movie “Young Black Stallion” (Walt Disney), Exclusive crossed all continents and all boundaries, conquering the world with a stunningly beautiful face and a personality unmatched. A stallion truly from all Nations, for all Nations, with a pedigree so uniquely blended, he could have been bred anywhere in the world, could have been a Champion anywhere in the world. With his extremely exquisite type, excellent conformation and extraordinary movement, a very promising future to breed true to what he was bred from.
Mafoura
sorry, die Bilder zu den Abstammungen wurden nicht übernommen.

Unten sieht man Darius 4 und 5-jährig, als Baby und zum Schluss kurz vor seinem Tod. Die Nr. 20 ist Darsi, Darius`Mutter, als sie die DLG gewann. Den Ausdruck show kannte man damals noch nicht. Es war eine "Ausstellung" in Großformat..
Soweit ich mich erinnern kann, wurden die Pferde "nur" von Privatleuten vorgestellt.

Grüße, Doris
Oliver
Hat Darius eigentlich Nachkommen in Deutschland gezeugt oder hat damals keiner mit ihm gedeckt? Wurde er hier tatsächlich nicht gekört oder einfach nie vorgestellt?
Mafoura
Hi Oliver,

Darius wurde nicht gekört. Er wurde von meinem Vater einmal vorgestellt, abgelehnt. Es gab eine "Ausnahmegenehmigung" für 2 Bedeckungen.
Für Stuten, die hier keiner kennt und nicht in unserem Besitz waren.

Leute aus England kamen überraschend bei uns damals an und wollten Darius kaufen. Es war eine Summe, 6stellig in Pfund, die auch heute noch schwindelerregend wäre, zumal er nicht gekört war. Mein Vater war aber halt wie er immer war und verkaufte nicht. Kurz danach starb er.

Herr Voorendyk sah eines dieser Fohlen und entschloss sich direkt sein "letztes" gutes Pferd Im Ausland zu kaufen. Er war damals schon um die 78. Er sah wohl mehr in Darius..und behielt recht..
Die Fohlen sind dann irgendwie tragisch ums Leben gekommen, weshalb weiß ich nicht; hörte nur, dass eins vergiftet wurde.
Traurig, ja..

So gibt es in Deutschland keine Nachkommen, aber zumindest ist ja nun eine wunderbare Darius-Enkelin (3-fach) nach England gekommen-Jorhemar Nagwa.
Das Bild ist im Ghazal Topic zu sehen..
Ganz lieber Gruß, Doris
Oliver
Mann, Mann, Mann - was für eine verpasste Chance.... oder, wie man es nimmt, für Südafrika ein Glücksfall. Sie muss es doch auf jeden Fall glücklich machen, dass Darius offensichtlich wirklich geliebt und geschätzt wurde und ein schönes Leben hatte!
Herzliche Grüße
Oliver
Mafoura
Oh ja, Oliver,

es macht mich sehr glücklich, obwohl ich ihn damals lieber in meiner Nähe behalten hätte. Heute zeigt sich, dass dies ein ungeheurer Fehler gewesen wäre, bei uns hier hätte er nicht den Hauch einer Chance gehabt..

Hier nun zumindest ein Foto von zweien seiner Söhne Vidiko Gamil Grey (1.Foto), Vidiko Mhalak (3. Foto) und einem Enkelsohn, Sadat Ibn Gamil Grey (2. Foto) deren Erfolge von Zandri teilweise beschrieben sind.
Das 4. Foto ist nochmal die Stute Jorhemar Nagwa, die nun in England lebt. Das 5. eine Darius Tochter mit Namen Vidiko Kamar, die auch hocherfolgreich war, es sind aber einfach zu viele, um sie hier reinzustellen.

Ganz liebe Grüße !!
Mafoura
das vierte Foto ist Vidiko Kamar, eine Tochter. Irgendwie läuft das immer anders als es erstmal aussieht. Die Anlage ist die "Engländerin..
Oliver
Tolle Pferde!
Ich erinnere mich, dass Rik van Lent Jr. vor Jahren mal in Südafrika und u.a. auch auf dem
Jorhemar-Gestüt der van Wyks fotografierte. Dort stand ebenfalls ein Sohn von Darius -
und er konnte sich gar nicht über dessen Schönheit und Bewegungen beruhigen. laugh.gif
Leider weiß ich den Namen nicht mehr, aber er begann auf jeden Fall mit "Vidiko".

P.S. Eigentlich müssten wir in Englisch schreiben, wegen all der anderen, aber das
dauert bei mir leider immer etwas länger... blink.gif
Hi Oliver,

ja, das stimmt, ich hörte auch, wie begeistert er war. Van Lent kann nur einen dieser beiden Hengste gemeint haben, deren Fotos bereits vorliegen:

Auf diesem Gestüt Jorhemar sind, waren, Vidiko Mhalak sowie Vidiko Gamil Grey; eben direkte Söhne von Darius.

Schöne Grüße, Doris
Dr Daniel Wigger
QUOTE (Mafoura @ Apr 25 2006, 12:16 PM)
Darius wurde nicht gekört.

... Körungen sind eben nur Vorhersagen. Ähnlich wie beim Wetter treffen diese häufig mehr oder weniger zu, aber eben nicht immer dry.gif

In Deutschland wäre Darius heute bestimmt "Elite"-Hengst ... laugh.gif

Darius ist ein gutes und überzeugendes Beispiel für die Bedeutung einer Nachkommenschaftsbeurteilung für die Zuchtwertschätzung von Elterntieren.
Mafoura
Danke für Ihre Worte Herr Dr. Wigger.
Ja, Sie haben vollkommen recht.

Sollten wir deshalb nicht froh sein, dass es "Körungen" nicht mehr gibt !!?? Es wird soviel Negatives über diese Anerkennungen geschrieben;
Darius ist doch nun das Beispiel schlechthin, dass diese durchaus ihre Berechtigung haben..

"Elitehengst", der in Deutschland nicht mal ein Schleifchen bekommen hätte; vielleicht gabs dies bei den Körungen auch umgekehrt.
Vorteil der Anerkennung ist doch deshalb, dass jeder für sich verantworten muss, was er tut. Vor allem aber auch die Chance erhält, das Potential eines Hengstes über die Nachzucht zu erkennen..
Die Stutenbesitzer sind doch erwachsen und können selber entscheiden, ob sie wollen oder nicht - ob`s denn letztendlich passt oder nicht, weiß man erst, wenn das Fohlen da ist. Es gibt niemals eine Gewähr.
Keiner kann oder darf doch über den Hengstbesitzer urteilen, der sein Tier besser kennt in Interieur, etc., als die Menschen, die eben diesen Hengst nur 5-10 Minuten an einem besonderen Tag in Aachen gesehen haben.
Exterieurmängel schließe ich hier aus. Obwohl ich bis zum heutigen Tag noch nicht ein einziges Pferd ohne Mangel gesehen habe, was sich vererben kann oder eben auch nicht .
Darius war klein. Er vererbte unheimlich groß..
Wer hätte das gedacht??
Guest_Mafoura_*
Es kennen mich doch einige, wohl viele Menschen - deshalb hier zum thread-

ich meinte, dass ich e x t r e m e Exterieurmängel ausschließe.

Kleine Mängel an sich, wie ich schon erwähnte, gibt es beim besten Pferd, da kann man sehen, wohin man will - sorry.
Es liegt im Auge des Betrachters, wie man was einschätzen soll, das ist nun auch die große Problematik für die Richter., deshalb müssen diese nicht schlecht sein. Zu sehen, wie sich was vererben wird oder was sich wie vererben wird, haben die Wenigsten drauf. Ist auch fast unmöglich..
Nur an einen Einzigen erinnere ich mich, das war Rudowski.. einer der unglaublichsten und besten "Pferdeverständler " der Welt. ..mit seiner "Haarpracht"...
Vielleicht ist sein Name nicht richtig geschrieben, es ist zu lange her, aber er war vom Feinsten, ich war mit ihm an der Hofreitschule in Wien, und er hielt die Rede an meines Vaters Grab !! Hierzu möchte ich noch bemerken, nach all diesen Jahren, Familie Poth, mittlerweile wohl in Frankreich zuhause, die mir und meiner Familie nach dem Tod meines Vaters von Herzen geholfen hat unsere Arbeit zu bewerkstelligen !! Dank von Herzen !!
Ich hoffe sehr, Familie Poth, dass Sie dies lesen - nocheinmal Dank dafür, mir so zur Seite gestanden zu haben, ohne etwas zu erwarten, .andere haben es anders gemacht...
Sie waren in dieser schweren Zeit das Beste, was mir passiert ist !!

Mein Vater war dummerweise auch Richter, auch bei den Trakehnern - 100 Seiten seiner privaten Aufzeichnungen habe ich gestern zum 1. Male nach über 30 Jahren gelesen - ..es war mir, nach Darius, den ich nun erst richtig kennenlernte, sehr wichtig....
danach kann man nicht mehr schlafen, aber-
ich verstehe viel mehr..

Einen schönen Abend, Doris
Kromar Arabian Stud
Hi Doris

Thank you so much for this information! I'm sorry that I took so long in answering you back but I was traveling for a bit with my backpack ;o)

I was interested in Darius's life before he went to South Africa because we have put together a database of Arab horses (part-breds Anglo's etc.) where you can put history, performance (show and endurance etc.) photo's and stud info etc.

Southern African Arabs are not well known in the world and I'm so happy that some of them are carrying the torch! One of my best moments in the UK are the one that the two SA bred mares came in at the UK Nationals in Malvern and won their class !o)

If you want some more info, I would be happy to help.

Thanks again
Greetings
Marika
Mafoura
Hi Marika, thanks for answering.

Darius went to Africa in 1976, he was 9.
I guess you are a bit young to know him before, don`t you?

However, I really would be interested in these 2 mares who won in UK.
Are they related to Darius ?

I wish you all the best,
have a wonderful time in UK.

I would really appreciate to hear what you know more about Darius.

Thanks a lot again, Doris
Mafoura
Lieber Herr Dr. Wigger,

ja, nur diese Fohlen wurden vom Verband auch beurteilt, und trotzdem erkannte Keiner die Qualität dieses Hengstes in Deutschland !
Ich weiß bis heute nicht, an was es lag.

Denken Sie denn, dass man den Grund noch, ohne böse Gedanken, herausfinden kann ??

Es würde mich, nach all dem, was ich hier ersehe und erlebt habe, sehr interessieren..

Schöne Grüße,

DH
Dr Daniel Wigger
QUOTE (Mafoura @ May 11 2006, 12:10 PM)
Denken Sie denn, dass man den Grund noch, ohne böse Gedanken, herausfinden kann ??

... vielleicht. Wäre doch eine Anfrage beim VZAP wert, oder?
Mafoura
abslout; nur, wer könnte das heute noch beantworten ohne "dabeigewesen" zu sein ?? Denken Sie, es gäbe darüber noch Akten oder Verzeichnisse ??

Danke !!
Dr Daniel Wigger
... fragen kostet nichts. wink.gif Falls keine Unterlagen mehr vorhanden, einfach mal nach den (möglichen) Mitgliedern der damaligen Körkommission fragen. Vielleicht lebt ja von den Herren noch jemand ...
Mafoura
Ja, das mag durchaus sein - nochmals herzlichen Dank !!!

Morgen gehts los...
Mafoura
Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry that this is the first time that I have been able to express my thoughts to you in better English. This has been made possible through my friend Karen.

It is very difficult to express how I feel about our Horses. Darius was the first to be disappointed here in Germany. This horse was a class of his own, but this was not recognized by the VZAP.

Today the VZAP knows of Darius' achievements on a national (RSA) and International level.

Today I am very proud of my father and of the time when Darius was born in our stable! He was one of the best, my father said, but nobody in Germany recognized this at the time. I thank Zandri Reynolds for bringing me up-to-date on all of Darius' achievements once he left our hands.

I would like to show you that there are horses of good quality, that first are overseen but show at a later date, unmistakably, that they are champions! Mr. Voorendyke recognized in Darius over 30 years ago, a quality that the Germans failed to see.

Attached is a photo of the man (Mr. Egon von Neindorff) to whom I owe everything, for teaching me and passing on to me all of his wisdom, along with my father.

Best wishes,

Doris
Lieber Herr Dr. Wigger,
ja, tatsächlich fragte ich beim Verband an--
Entweder will man nicht antworten oder , man kann nicht damit umgehen --
Herrn v. Kleist schätze ich aber so ein, dass er es in jedem Falle könnte ..
Vielleicht kennt er ja die Anfrage immer noch nicht !!

Ich werde weiterhin hoffen !!

Alles Liebe, Doris,

P.S.

Bitte aufpassen; von mir erscheinen threads, die ich nie geschrieben habe -

bin selber mehr als erstaunt !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.