Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pigmentation Loss
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - ‹bersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
arabianlover55
hello,
an you share your experince regarding the loss of pigment in some se horses, is is due to stress or diet ie,difenicy in minerals or trace elments, or is it related to inbreeding.
what are the solutions you tried to over come this problem
what could be used to restore lost pigment
kindly share your opinion and treatment
good day biggrin.gif
Mellie
Please look here:

Nancy Bourque/Ibriz Arabians
I noticed this popping up this summer in a couple of my horses. My vet recommended adding a mineral supplement and at this point the color is just about back to normal. You wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking for it.
Point-O-View
biggrin.gif Hi,
I'm no expert, however I have been told that it's due to a copper deficiency.Just feed a mineral supplement, like min-a vite or sunshine (blue seal makes both) Good Luck, Sincerely, Lisa @ POV Arabians
aliaalhussein
It can indeed be copper deficiency, or another mineral or trace element imbalance, but copper is the more common one I believe. Horses with that problem often have a reddish tinge to their coats as well. However be careful which supplement you use...a friend once gave a copper replacer religiously but her horses lost MORE pigment, and eventually it turned out that the factory was downstream from another factory which was releasing something into the water which not only stopped coper amount IN the product from helping, but blocked further the amount in the horses' own system! That was quite a few years ago-but it's good to see a recommended brand.
There are families which are more prone to loss of pigment,and inbreeding will surely not ameliorate the situation.
Almearas
Can you tell me how long it would take to reverse the pigmentation loss? I have my horses on a product called cellgrow, which is suppose to have all of the trace elements and minerals that they need, but is not specifically for pigmentation loss. Would you need to add extra copper to this product?
Nancy Bourque/Ibriz Arabians
I started to give the mineral supplement at the end of August and now, the middle of November I can barely see where the pigment loss was. I am not feeding copper as such but just a general mineral supplement that we get here, made by Shur Gain and called #1 mineral. It was recommended to me by my vet who is one of the major standardbred breeders in this area and he feels that every horse should be on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.