Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Registrations Of Arabian Horses, Etc.
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - ‹bersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
Pages: 1, 2
HLM
Good morning everybody

Statistics:

thanks Deb for the lovely post,and the great work you are doing.

the June issue of the Horse & Rider gives these statistics:
Members:

AQHA-(Qarter horses) 343,014
APHA (Paint) 98,696
AHA (Arabian) 41,471
ApHC (Appaloosa) 24,240
TWHBEA (Tenn.Walkers) 18,000
NCHA (cutting) 17,070
NRHA (reining) 14,197
PHBA (Palomino) 11,329
PtHo (Pinto) 10,778
AMHA (Morgan) 10,714.

As we all know the Qhose and all other breeds mentioned started long after the Aabians appeared in the USA/Canada. So what is it the management of these Associations did so well to surpass us (the two first ones I mentioned)?
I think because the have their horses presented under saddle and encouraged the youth to participate, obviously very successfully, and judge a horse by what it can do under saddle.

I am not quite certain but I heard that the QHorse Registry has over two million registrations. I suppose allother breeds also have more than just the number of members shown above.

This just a little wake-up call.

Have a nice dy
Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms
Ladypurr
Dear LMG,

I share your concern the declining numbers of Arabian horses registered and rapidly disappearing open space. I follow this topic closely and wonder why more people aren't concerned about our disappearing farm/ranch land. For those who cannot maintain the land as farmland, there should be more incentives to preserve it as farmland rather than to sell to developers to be bull-dozed, concreted or black-topped and houses planted.

I realize that growth is inevitable, but America needs to get real serious about its rapidly disappearing farm land and make better use of land-use in general. Here in Sacramento, a huge area consisting of some of the finest farmland (soil) in all of California is now home to thousands of houses. It is basical built in a very dangerous flood plain. If the levees that hold back the river fail (and they will--all it will take is a series of tropical storms to dump huge amounts of rain) and the houses in this area will be under 20 feet of water in less than two hours!! How can government officials permit such mindless building? We lost precious farmland and now its a community that awaits disaster.

One day we'll wake up and wonder..."how will we feed another billion people before 2025"?

Californians....write the Governator and ask him to restore funding for the Williamson Act, which preserves priceless farmland and other open space yet still compensates owners for fair market value of the ir land if they must sell.

I shudder to think what it would be like without open space, bucolic pastures with cattle and horses and wild areas where wildlife can roam and live unfettered by humans.

We have to strike a balance!

While I am concerned about the numbers of people who have sold their farms and their horses, I believe there are still viable newcomers who will take up the torch. I've always said that people should breed horses not necessarily for profit, but because they love the horse, first and foremost. That still holds but I sure understand that people would like to be able to sell their horses and receive a fair and reasonble price for the horse they bred, raised and trained. To do so in today's economic climate, you need to have a substantial income. It's just very expensive to raise horses and beyond the financial means of the average person.

However, I do believe that if you have a dream and you set about to make that dream come true, you will find a way! wink.gif

--Susan wink.gif
LMG
Susan:

I am absolutely in agreement with you. I have watched as Southern California paved over nearly every open space, whether reasonably habitable or not. The costs of bring water to millions of people in a desert, the electricity necessary to cool homes in areas where the daytime temperatures reach over 110 for many days of the year, is nothing less than astonishing. I won't even begin to comment on the development of housing in areas in which the plant life has developed over centuries, to complete the seeding cycle only under the immense heat of wild fires.

In 1969, I watched small ranches torn apart as a result of unending rains which undermined the old sea bottom hills that overlooked an area called Brea Canyon, and a small river called the Green River and these hills slid across four lanes of highway, and into the river. In the 1930's a dam was built called Prado Dam, at the top of the Green River and behind that lay open farm land back to Chino Hills.

In the winter of 1969, water backed up behind this dam and was nearly at the top of the dam. My brother and I, had a load of horses we were were bringing from the Chino Hills area, and we drove slowly over the roadway over the dam, as most of the trees and telephone poles were buried beneath the water which had drained from the Chino and Whittier Hills and this dam was the only obstacle preventing a large amount of Orange County from washing to the Ocean.

Today, thiry-seven years later, the powers that be have allowed housing tract after housing tract to be built in the flood plain behind the dam and never once raised one word of caution when developers built multiple tracts of housing in the unstable hills, which are now called Anaheim Hills and the Brea Canyon Highway is now a six lane freeway called Highway 91.

When this cycle repeats itself, and homes, possessions and perhaps lives are lost, all the parties who bowed to developers' money and interests and the counties, eager tax revenues, will claim either governmental immunity or a total lack of knowledge of the events.

This has been played over and over in California, and in many other states, by the short term interests of elected and appointed officials, many of whom have a foot in both camps - no matter what political affiliation.

But, as they say, Money talks and the public interest walks -or maybe it is something else - I forget what.

LMG
calicoarab
Ah yes, Lorrie, I can remember all of that well. I grew up in The O.C., & remember when the tallest landmark in Santa Ana was the tower at the sugar beet mill down near Costa Mesa! The old Kramer cattle ranch was in the hills above Yorba Linda, & we rode horses in fields of lupine up to my geldings' tummy- and he was 17.0 hands! That land the Kramer got from the Yorba family, & they were the original Spanish land grant holders! It's all houses & strip malls now. Three years ago, the farmers in the Imperial valley lost a protracted water rights battle with the city of San Diego. The were forcibly bought out, retiring 22,000 acres of land that had been growing hay so the urban creatures can hose down their driveways & play golf! It not only spiked the price of hay, as that was our main source of winter forage hay for horsemen in S. Calif., but the dairymen are now paying the price too!
I work for the local county Ag. Commisioners office, & cannot understand why people seem utterly unconcerned with prime farmland being paved over for housing tracts. Plastic in our pets food? Antifreeze chemicals in our toothpaste? Think that it's bad being held captive to foreign oil interests, just wait till they control all of our food too! So the long term prospects for not just our beloved Arab breed, but the whole horse industry as well looks a bit grim. Pardon me while I get on my soapbox & preach gloom & doom, but this is becomming more & more of an issue. Like we don't already have enough to worry about.

Chiken Little
a.k.a. Sandy Wilt
HLM
Dear Lorrie and Sandy

this happens all over. Fortunately here in Florida we have very strict rules and it is not that easy to turn farmland into subdivisions you speak off. Here it is more like dividing into five acre parcels by enlarge. But land prices are going out of sight.What 20 years ago cost $ 2500.00 an acre or less is now $ 50,000, even some $ 100,000 per acre. The latter price is for areas in Southern florida, where land can be divided into those sub-diisions with about 1/3 acre lots.of course rules differ from county to county, as do taxes. For instance we pay $ 56.00 (fiftyisix)
dollars for 17 acres on one part of the farm, and $ 21.00 (twentyone) for another ten acres adjoining. We have four titles on our 47 acre farm, so it is evaluated
taxwise accordingly.What is more expensive is the Lake frontage.

Of course we have no water problem, and that helps.

When I went to the EE this year, I was amazed how Lexington had build up, and that a lot on that beautiful farmland. But I guess this is everywhere. In 1952 Toronto,Canada had about 850,000 people, now its over six million and her than 15 million population risen to about 30 million.. a Country larger in size than the USA.

Have a nice day
Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms.

gadonatella
Hansi,

These gorgeous farms in Lexington are being sold off daily to be subdivided into what I call 'cardboard subdvisions'.. it is very sad. Some of the nieghboring farms hired a lawyer in one case and tried to go above the city councils and lost in court. In this case 300 homes are slated on a small country road that will not handle the traffic and decrease the value of their farms. It is not going to stop as stated in the above posts the 'greed' for the tax money generated from these tract houses. Noone cares that these farms will never be replaced and they are what makes this area attractive to live. The statistics of the rate of farms disappearing is stunning and everyone just shrugs and says it's progress. The other side is the people selling off the land says it's their land and they should be able to do what they want with it <sigh>

Many are the older generation farmers are dying off and the children do not want to farm the land and the huge money involved for selling to builders. As Sandy mentioned above until there is equal payment to keep the zoning agriculture this will not change. The only county here that has done that (that I know of) is Mercer, where Lexington is located and it is mostly developed city anyways.. duhhh

Alot of our food now is imported and people are complaining of the price of milk etc.. just wait !! I sure feel sorry for the next generations trying to live with the direction we are headed.. Horse owning will be a luxury and probably fed processed food from China.. uggg

Sandy
Nadj al Nur
In this area, it is VERY difficult to get land released from the agricultural land reserve, so difficult, in fact, that most people don't even bother to try. One of the few things that they will release it for, are golf courses, which, of course, are very easy to turn back into agri use again. One of the good things about living here............
Cathy
HLM
DEar Sandy and Cathy

I know, and there is so little we all can do about it at this time.

I just came back from Gainesville, Fl,- shopping- Gainesville is georgeous, with zillians of trees and flowers, population years ago under 100,000, now doubled
and much of good farmland converted into actually beautiful sub-divisions with big lots.

However, when I get back home its like a different world. Peace, quiet, wild life,
and all those things we all treasure so much, and yet 25 minutes away from
the "big" city Gainesville.

In canada one almost have to go to court to be allowed to cut down a tree- "Good"!
Before farmland can be used for housing, its a many years court battle. "good"!

Many of the land owners in canada and also here in North central Florida are sitting tight, protecting, and may be it catches on.

When I travel up north to Canada- about 1050mmiles to the detroit/windor border I see extreme changes.. When I travel south in Florida, the tampa/Orlando Area
I get sick to my stomach,. seeing these humengous homes build, one next to the other and traffic coming out on ones ears. And when you hit Naples,Fl., you might think there is a craving for Taj Mahalas , because these 10-15000 square feet homes are build like mushrooms..

Therefore, each one of us who owns some land, has that peace and quiet, hears the birds singing, the wilf life frolicing, the neighbors being those "real" neighbors,
we should thank our maker on our knees and always count our blessing. And we must continue to preserve it, just like our beloved Arabian Horses. Must keep it clean and tidy, take pride in it, because millions of people in this world dont even have a home to live in. When I step outside, feel the soil under my feet, its like
walking in heaven. I guess that's what our Arabians feel, and are so happy and content. I guess we all are blessed. Just have to remind ourselves every morning when the sun gets up.

Just my feelings and sentiments, I guess.

Hansi biggrin.gif
Serenity Arabian Farms

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.