Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Need Some Help
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - Übersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
amr antar
Dear friends
i really need help with leading my colt Orgowan
he is 8 months old . he loves to run free , and with free i mean nothing holding him back . he doesn't let anything or anyone come between him and his running . he kicks the person leading him , cuts himself free , and starts to run . this happened to me several times , his groom also , now it is an alert when he is let out of his box . ppl here are trying to tell me that this is normal in his age , but i don't buy that .
i think that there is something i can do to make this stop .
a friend told me that it is the fault of his previous owner , when i bought him he was 5 months old , that he didnt teach him how to be led.
what can i do ?
plz help me out

much thanks
Amr Antar
Mr Prospector
Amr,
This happens to many people. They think a foal is too cute, or fragile or some other thing to teach it to lead and tie up when it is a baby. So they let it go and become almost wild. But I always think to myself, what if I had to take the foal to the vet, say with its mother? Or what if I need it to stand still for a needle, or even just an inspection? If it is too wild to treat if it is hurt, it is not good for the horse nor the owner/handler. So I teach my babies right from the first day.

Now that your horse is older it will be harder, but still you must do it.

I think the best thing for you, as you probably do not have much experience is to get someone who does have experience help you to tie him up to a pole. Use the inner tube of a tyre - a bicycle tube is good. Tie it to the pole, and the lead can be tied to the tube. It is elastic and if he pulls back he wont hurt himself. Also, put a little soft padding under his halter where it goes across his poll (the area behind his ears). Make sure it is someone you can trust not to hurt your horse. It will take him a while to get used to it, but while he is still young, he should be able to adapt. It would be good if you can watch so that you can learn to do it yourself.

hope this is helpful to you

Karen
Nadj al Nur
Amr, it would be wonderful if you could talk to Gulsun Sherif. She has a lot of experience and could probably recomend someone to help you out with this. It should be someone who is there, to actually SHOW you, rather than just telling you.
I'm pretty sure Yassmin has Gulsun's phone number, but if she doesn't, send me a PM.........
Good luck
Cathy
mbtulimaa
I have also used the tieing to a pole and had great success with that. I also had a very stubborn filly that would tie ok but when it came to leading she would just go. Well, I tied her to her mother and let her mother do the brunt work. I have heard of people using mules or donkey's with this also. The problem comes into when the baby starts leading the adult around. But they are ususally done with the lesson at that time. Good luck and make sure that you have a REALLY good halter on the tike when you tie him. If he breaks the halter then he has really won the battle and you will really be in trouble then.
My good friend told me great advice on an occasion: "Never go to war without your weapons"
Amy L. Cone
Rising Phoenix
Hello, Amr.
Sorry to hear of your problem.
I am no expert, however I would start from square one with him. He needs to learn to give to pressure.
Start in the stall with his halter & lead on, make him drop his head to pressure, once he does so reward him by slacking off, but still having him on the lead, master this step before starting a new step. Next teach him to give to the left, then right, then his back end left & right end, teach him to back up, move forward all on YOUR cues. You need to remember YOU are the alpha, his new "mom", if he acted up with her she would give him a nip, shove or a kick in the direction she wanted him wink.gif .
Once you have this mastered in his stall , do it in a round pen or in a small paddock. If he act's up I would shank him once, fast & quick you don't want to hurt his nose just get his attention ( shanking sounds harsh but I feel this colt needs it ohmy.gif) , I DO NOT use chain leads on any of my Arabians, make him BACK up , this is how I "get after" my Arabians if they have a " moment". I use a lot of body language & if I'm really upset I'll raise my voice. Maybe this will work with your colt.
I hope this helps & best wishes with him, I have a coming 6th. month old SE stud colt & so far he's been a good boy, plus I have handled many others over the last 25 yrs.
Sincerely, Lisa & Family
tiawarra
Hello Amr,

I know this wont help right now, but when I next fly over to Cairo I would be happy to help you work through any problems you are having with your colt.

You need to get him to respect you & by that I don't mean beat him. But he does need to know that he is not allowed to behave in that sort of manner.

When you see mares out with their foals, if the foal does something the mare isn't happy about....well the mare disciplines the foal by kicking or biting or even just by laying her ears back & threatening. So we need to gain the same respect as the mares!!

Please be patient with him as this will not be solved by one training session. He will need constant reminding that we are the ones calling the shots....not him!!!! Yes a naughty litle colt can be cute..................but when he grows to be a naughty stallion...........that's just plain dangerous.

As soon as I know I am flying over next (have no idea at this time when that will be) I'll let you know & we can do some work with your colt. You really need to have some one there & watch how they work with your colt.

All the best............Debbie
karin
Hello Amr.

I would advice the following. A bit like already said above..Take a LONG rope, gloves..and a GOOD halster. Try in his box to take him walk a bit around, stay away from his front legs...then in a safe place, a paddock where he cannot escape..preferably NOT too large..walk around...don't let him escape..when he jumps or kicks go away from him but don t let him go...out of your hands...when he does NOT obey give him a HUGE snag on the rope. work with your voice, steady him, make a low voice as well, not a high pitchy voice...Just walk with him that way...let him stand still, give a SNAG to give the command and your voice..when he obeys give him a crawling in his manes...that is how it was explained to me and it worked very well...go from walking on to standing still, and again, and again untill he gets the picture..and when he obeys always give him a feeling that he has done well...not sugar or whatever I would use...good luck and keep us informed!

Karin
zenith
I think if you need to ask this question, you need more than written or verbal assistance.
Theres many techniques and methods to horse handling, but if they aren't done with confidence, competence and safety, results aren't guaranteed. Why not employ a professional to halter-break this foal, and teach you some skills at the same time. Most helpful horsemen would be happy to do this.
While you've got plenty of reasonable advice here, do you want a half-fixed problem (with the risk you make it worse or get injured) or do you want a well trained foal and some skills yourself?
Its vital you do sort the problem out: at 8weeks its cute, at 8 months its frustrating and dangerous, at 8 years it could mean a dead or injured horse or handler.
deb
hi amr

i agree you have much good advice here, but the last entry by zenith is the best. i too hope you will get professional help. an eight month old hooligan that has already discovered he can break away from the handler is a serious accident waiting to happen. this is about dominance, not love of freedom. i know i'm repeating, but that's how horses are hard-wired, so we, as their human leader have to be in charge. that's for everyone's safety and believe it or not, the horse's happiness and security as well.

good luck with your young fella. i'm pulling for you both.

dahma deb

please, i'd love to hear the outcome of his training
Nadj al Nur
Dear Amr
I have gone through all my training books, hoping to find something that I could scan and send to you. However, they all assume that you have quite a bit of experience, BEFORE you tackle a problem like this.
I agree with Zenith and Deb. You really do need someone there to help you with this, and to give you some training as well.Working with an 8 month old stud colt who already knows how to manipulate people, is NO PICNIC,and not something that can be taken lightly, and I would hate to see you OR him get hurt, and besides that, the training will help you out in the long run.
Best
Cathy
Sha3lan
Dear all , we were talking today me and Amr and Reading some books and he found out that HIS and OTHER's ways of Handling Orgo is Wrong
so i was like oh my God ,, im so sorry for not telling u the right way
( Amr i did not tell u this in front of u ,, but now im really sorry i thought someone will tell u if it is not me )
any way somehow we knew some points
Never use force ,, which is a good point to start with ,,
and how he should be standing while leading .
horses sometimes are not wrong Orgo found the chance to break off since her was young and no one stopped him plus that he is Amr's first horse and Amr is trying to do is best ... we will keep on searching
About some horseman here im sorry to tell u this is a bit hard to find around our stables ,,
somehow they are not treating horses the way we like ,, so
we won’t trust anyone easily ...
it is a race stables ,, their ways are not bad but different
so please whenever u feel like u have an advice even if so simple let Amr know it ..
i never learned how to lead horses ,, coz i just found myself doing it , i started with horses since i was 4 years old ,, so i dont know how to teach it ..
Love u all
and thank you ..
urs
PS
Sometimes i feel like it is my responsibility coz i chose this little guy For Amr ,,
Thank GOD he is still telling me that this is the best horse for him , hope this opinion never change ,,
amr antar
Dear All
your concern proves that i asked the right people
i really apreciate all ur advice
i just want to add to your info some stuff that might help you see the whole picture :
i have put Orgowan in a rent stable , i still cant afford my own place for him , the stable as Yassmin told u is a racing stable . they dont train for nothing else but racing .
he isn't always that bad , it is only when i am trying to make him do something that disagrees with what he wants .
the first time he got himself free , was after he took a needle , as some of u know he has a bone prominence under his right eye . that was his first time . when we caught him i was so relieved that nothing happened to him . it was then that i saw how much he liked it , what made things worse was that the other horses greeted him as a champ !!!
second time he broke loose from me , kicked me in my stomach and dragged me on the ground , he appologized and it was ok
third time , also me , was yesterday . i went to him and he wanted to play in the paddock , which is outside the stable , i didnt allow it since he has a cough so i walked with him in the stable every round he came near the door , he wanted out . this kept happening 5 or 6 times , my answer was always a firm NO . on the 7th round he kicked me in my thigh and since all doors were closed and the pain was too much i had to let go . he trotted around VERY HAPPY .
so i talked to the trainer and told him that this can't go on , his answer was that it is a natural thing and that this is very nice , it means he will be a great race horse and that he will grow out of it once he starts working out . all i could think of was , duh .
so i started thinking what i had to do about it myself
since the stable is 50 km away from my home and i finish work late so i cant see him except 2 days a week . so i scratched the idea of handling him myself also i dont have the necessary knoledge . the next question was what might have caused this , all my thinking got me to one thing : the change in the size of the paddock , the new paddock is at least three times bigger ,and the mishandling he gets / got .
i cant trust them to train him as i want .
so i am really thinking about using the pole
i also went throgh some books with Yassmin today about leading , i realized that all books are talking as if i have some idea about it , none gave me the starting point .
i have been trying to find the treat he likes the most , no success till now , he doesnt like carrots , apples , bonbons , sugar or any of the known treats .
we used to have a really good connection , still have it actually but he keeps doing stuff that is really annoying .
i am pretty sure he knows that he misbehaves , he knows that he deserves a punishment , which i give him on the spot .
why he is acting that way , i don't know .

believe me i know it isn't cute at all the way he is acting , the scar on my thigh tells me that .

as for getting professional help , i don't know any one who can pull the job .
i am a rookie in horses

thank u so much for ur help , support and concern .
Amr Antar
ps

DEAR YASSMIN
I AM SAYING IT OUT LOUD : HE IS THE BEST HORSE I COULD WISH FOR , PERIOD .
Nadj al Nur
Amr, I think that perhaps this is your main problem. Young horses, ESPECIALLY stallions NEED to have a lot of turn out time. AT LEAST four hours a day. They also NEED to be handled, and worked with EVERY day. If they are confined all the time, it doesn't matter what you do, they are going to be a problem, and the older they get, the more of a problem they will be.I do not mean to sound negative, and I know that you really love your horse and want the best for him, but YOU REALLY NEED HELP from someone with a lot of experience.
There must be SOMEONE there that you could go to that could give you some training and advice ?
Perhaps if you contacted Nasr Marei, he could tell you where to turn????
Cathy
Majid
Dear Amr,

The previous posts have a lot of good advice. Many here are concerned for you and your colt.

The suggestions of methods for teaching him to lead in a halter are helpful. I follow the method suggested by Lisa, where I teach the young colt or filly to yield to pressure in the stall, usually while still young and with the mare. At first they may try to resist the halter, but soon understand that all that is required is moving with the halter, when led, and even at a very young age, they become very attuned to the halter, and one can lead them with just a little pressure.

I haven't worked halter training a colt that is 8 months old. At that age, he is strong enough to hurt you. Please be careful. I will try to contact someone who can recommend a handler/trainer for you.

Mowafaq insha`Allah.

Majid
Rising Phoenix
Hello Majid, ( Haven't seen you in a while, looking forward to the Event if you attend)

Thank You for understanding my viewpoint.
I hope everything works out with this colt, he's being such a little monster blink.gif!!!

They really need to start over with him, he was never taught proper manners. ....
Well keep us posted & HOPEFULLY someone in Amr's area that can help him??? This colt seems to think that humans are playtoys ohmy.gif , not good or safe for any huh.gif ...
Sincerely, Lisa
aliaalhussein
Dear Amr,
He must go out every day, young horses need to be out for their bones and muscles to grow and strengthen,and he is normal to want that. Kicking is not a good option but if you start to punish him when he is cheeky he will say,"Oh its a fight is it-or rough play? I can do that too",..and face it, even foals arte stronger than most of us! I think the best thing is to send someone over to help you with some guidelines, in the meantime please let him out as much and as long as possible and forget about discipline for until you have some help. All the best,Alia
mckulley1
Start back at the beginning, like he is a new foal with his dam.

First he must learn to be touched. I'm betting if he's being so bad that even putting your hands on him proves to be a struggle. Be sure to keep treats on you and reward him when he stands quietly while you pet him. Be sure to play with his ears, rub his face, run your hands down his legs, etc.

Then get him used to wearing a Halter. It goes on, it comes off, and LOOK - no one died! tongue.gif

Then once you have that down, get a long cotton lead, clip it to his halter, loop the long end around his butt. Stay in his stall, with treats, and teach him to lead in his stall in a big circle. If he's bad, he gets a sharp shank to the halter and a loud "NO". When he stands quietly to start again, he gets a treat. Each full, unresisted revolution he gets a treat. Be sure to go both ways in the stall.

Once he's doing this well and consistent then he can be led a short distance to a very small area for turn out. Somewhere different than where you've been turning him out and somewhere not far from his stall. Do the same loop over the rear end to encourage him to go forward with you. You might carry a riding crop with you in your back pocket. I don't know how badly he kicks his handlers...if the handler allows him to just goof off at the end of the lead rope and he is basically lunging him to his turn out then I would guess the handler deserves to be kicked! But if they are leading him by his shoulder and asking him to behave and he cow kicks them to get free, what I have done for those kinds of horses is carry a riding bat in the opposite hand and be ready! If he lifts his leg that "mysterious hand of God" comes behind my back and smacks him first! You'd be amazed how quickly they stop when they dont know WHERE that is coming from. If it happens every time he goes to kick, then in not a long period of time (if he's smart) he won't try it because he won't know if the "hand of God" is buzzing around him!

If he misbehaves on the walk to the small turn out, then he gets to turn around and go back to his stall and you try it again in another hour or so. If he's good...but up until you take his halter off to be set free, he STILL has to go back to his stall. He will learn that good manners equals the freedom he so cherishes. Bad manners means no freedom.

Once he is led to the turnout quietly, stands quietly to have his halter taken off (no flying away as the halter comes off!), be sure you have treats to reward him! Then he gets his turnout time. A good two hours at the very least.

THE TRICK TO THIS IS IT HAS TO BE DONE EVERY DAY AND BY EVERYONE HANDLING HIM.
Wahag
Amr

Just wait for a month or two. He is going to be all right.

He is nothing but a baby who wants to play smile.gif

So don't take it serious now. and listen to Prices Alia and let him have a good time out off the (f) stables.

Kind Regards,

Mohamed Awad Khaled
SKM
I very much agree with Princess Alia. Turnout should be fun and he needs plenty of time just being free, playing in the largest available paddock, preferably with another colt his own age. This is not something you can learn how to do from reading books, you really need someone experienced and firm but kind to come and work with your colt a few times and then, when he has learned what is wanted and what is not wanted, show both you and whoever deals with him on a daily basis what to do. He is only a baby and his attention span for learning is very short. Going out to have some freedom in his paddock is probably the high spot of his day, this is why he is rushing to get there.

I would also strongly advise against going down the route of edible treats for rewards and a stick for punishment for an 8 month old colt. He will most likely resent the punishment if he doesn't understand why he was punished and start to bully you for treats, which leads to biting. Horses do not give other horses food as rewards or to make friends- they engage in 'mutual grooming'. So a reward of a good scatch along the top of the neck or behind the withers is often just as good as a bit of apple. I also strongly advise against the suggestion of tying him to a pole, this is a recipe for disaster if done by inexperienced people and could lead to your colt breaking his neck. Time and patience and consistent handling will be more use in the long run than 'short sharp shock' treatment.

Aren't there some good European handlers working for some of the Arabian farms in Egypt? Maybe one of them could come and advise you. Perhaps you should also consider, if at all possible, to try to find somewhere else to keep him, maybe more of a breeding farm than a racing yard, with more paddock space where he could have more playtime with other colts and where the people working are used to handling and educating 'baby boys'. I am sure it's very worrying for you that he's being naughty, and not nice at all that he kicked you so badly, but it can be solved with patience and consistent kind but firm handling.
amr antar
again i find myself speechless
i am filled with so much gratitude that i can't find the words to express it , all the advice and what's more the care and concern make me feel like having big sisters and brothers guiding me to the right way .

he isn't always that bad , he just acts this way when he finds himself doing something he doesn't want to do .
as for his turnout , he goes to the paddock every day and for more than 6 hours . he has a filly to play with .

his actions towards me arent always like this .
he enjoys me grooming him very much , i can touch him wherever i want whenever i want , he accepts the halter , has no problems with being touched at the legs or ears , he allows me to lift his forelegs ....etc .
he walks fine with me , but i have to pay extra attention now , he loves running , so whenever he has a chance he tries to bolt away . even after a long play in the paddock he wants to run .

it is just when he knows he is going to the paddock that he tries to outrun his handler to go there .

but otherwise he is acting good .

strange right ?

love
Amr Antar
Georgia
Oh Boy Amr,
Some trouble your boy is giving you and your first horse. Let alone a stallion, many won't like this but.....
my suggestion would be wise to have him gelded to take the hormone factor out of the equation and to make him safer for you. You need to learn to handle a horse before you take on a stallion. You have already only owned him a short time and have been seriously kicked several times. It only takes once in the wrong place to kill you.

If there are not professional trainers around to help, my best advise is as follows, keep reading all you can..
as you are leading him keep his nose pointed towards you.. as he points his nose (bends his neck) curves towards you.. he should not be able to kick you from behind.. if he tries.. instantly pull on the lead and step backwards.. this will swing his rear end away from you. Then walk off in the direction you are pointed. Keep this up until you reach your destination.. you may have walked a hundred miles to get where you are going, but at least he will not be able to kick you. Please keep your position
behind his front legs at his shoulder. As you pull on the lead he will circle
hips will swing away from you and you walk off.. still keeping his nose pointed towards you. Do not keep constant pressure.. when he relaxes and keeps his nose pointed (curved) towards your direction release the pressure. If he moves his nose back out front .. again apply pressure until he has turned his nose towards you and you release the pressure. As long as he keeps his nose tipped towards you.. no pressure. But, as long as that nose is pointed towards you.. you have the power to pull on him and move his hips in the opposite direction and away from you. (this is where the whip in your back pocket can come in handy as someone else mentioned.. you can pull it out quickly snap his hip with it and put it back away quickly) always always keeping his nose curved in your direction.
His hips should move away from you and you start walking off in the direction you are pointed (I have used different words to try and explain) First get your horse moving as you want.. then you can get him to go in the direction you want after you have gained some control.

I don't believe the fact that he is just young and will grow out of this.. he will just get larger and more dangerous for you to handle. Something needs done now, so you can safely handle him.

You will also need to teach him to stay out of your space. So at first you may have to move to keep at the safe place from his shoulder.

For this as you are walking you can hold the lead in your left hand.. continuely making sure his nose is pointed towards you (not looking straight ahead or to the other direction). bump his nose with pressure until he turns nose towards your direction and release pressure. You can keep your right arm pointed straight ahead of your body.. putting a line between you and the colt. If he gets near your arm bump his nose, cheek with your hand or elbow to the neck. This may help teach him to stay out of your space.

I suggest you have at least a 12 foot cotton lead and gloves, as others have mentioned. If he tries to run off with you.. pull on that lead hard and back away from his nose which is hopefully pointed towards you. As he is knocked off balance, repostion yourself up by his shoulder and walk off.

Remember to aways move with your horse to keep yourself in the safe spot by his shoulder. If you get to far away.. then the 12 foot lead will keep you far enough away that he cannot kick you or strike at you. try and stay at about a 45 degree angle from the shoulder with his nose pointed towards you.. never to far forward or behind the shoulder.
You may be 10 foot away, but you are still in position to keep the nose pointed towards you and you are able to pull on the lead and have his hips move away from you and his head pointed towards you. They are very strong if the head is pointed straight forward or to the opposite direction..

Never walk from the front to the shoulder, always circle the other direction and face forward at the shoulder... and walk off.

Another controlling training I do, is walk off and stop (whoa) every couple steps.
Sometimes it can be a dance at first as they won't stop and stand still.. just keep doing as above (always keeping nose) tilted towards you. Take two steps forward and lift up on lead.. having your fist about the jowel area. say whoa and stop your feet. Keep this up until he stops and stands and praise him.. if he acts up walk off again.. do not punish.. just put him back to work. soon he will learn if he is good he will get to stand and rest. That is the reward. Do not pull on lead to get him to stop in this training. Lift up.. no tension.. fist in jowel area.. which keeps him from turning into you and hitting you with his head. Ask for the whoa (stop) at different steps, one two three.. but at first don't go any farther.. until his understands what you are asking. This can be done in the barn first..until he gets the idea and then walk out to the pasture or place where he is turned out to run.

To start over, you can teach him to point his nose towards you in his stall.
with the lead, stand by his shoulder..move lead to his wither holding tight (but not forcing him to turn his nose towards you.. you may dance around the stall, but do not release the tension (pressure).. just hold. He may fight you trying to get you to turn loose, just stay with it and keep the pressure The moment he relaxes and turns his nose towards the side
in your direction.. release the lead so it is loose. (at first this might just be an inch) Pet him, and do it again, again and again.. from both sides. Try to keep yourself up by the door, so not to get trapped in the stall. Just keep moving him to this location to keep yourself safe and start over. He will soon learn that the only place his head is to be is turned towards you and there will be no pressure.

With his head turned towards you you can move his hips away from you and circle until he settles down again and then move off in a direction you are pointed when he does settle down. If you can keep your horse bent towards you ..you have better control and he cannot use his strength against you.

I hope any part of this helps you, I'm hoping Yassmin can help you understand some and position.
You can practice with a person on the lead and have them act like your horse and you do as I have explained. Have them pull away and straight on the lead and you will find you have more control if they are tipped towards you.. when you pull they cannot run off.

So, it is with great reserve I write this hoping maybe one point will keep you safer. You are learning along with your boy. If he doesn't respond as you wish..just keep him moving around you and try again. If at anytime you think he is going to kick at you.. pull on that lead and move his hips away from you.

For better attention, do this after he has been out for his run.

Best of luck and be safe always.

Georgia
karin
Dear Amr,

I know somebody who has trained difficult and young horses, also show horses and worked for Shah arabians from the family Sardar in France. His name is Luc. Surely he could help you, you also can send me a mail and I will forward it to him for some serious help.. I don't agree with tying up your horse like said in the beginning of the topic..And give him some freedom of space, let him run...start with that..the rest will come. For any help contact me.

Good luck,

Karin
mckulley1
The more I read your notes the more I am seeing a picture of a colt that is trying to do the "right" thing but is highly excitable and perhaps, a bit spoiled. smile.gif

I have raised colts and have had stallions. The biggest thing I find is the misconception that they will become "resentful" of punishment. If I go out and beat the tar out of a colt or a stallion for ever little thing they do, then YES, you will get a resentful horse. However if the punishment is not severe but QUICK and startling (like a good snap of the lead and followed by a verbal command NO) it is neither painful nor cause for resentment. Like a person grabbing your shoulder and giving it a good shake saying "WAKE UP".

The "hand of God" is used by even the best dog handlers primarily because the dog or horse cannot identify with where it came from. That's the trick to it. If they cannot identify the quick swat for the cow kick they just tried to deliver with YOU then they cannot second guess your movements or place the blame on you. In general, most quickly stop the negative behavior because, well gosh, they just don't know where or when that swat might come from so why think the evil though of kicking? It works well with cats too (hiding behind a corner with a tin can full of coins and shake the devil out of the can every time the cat climbs on the counter....cat will quickly decide that the counter is NOT a good place to be!)

And I suppose if the colt is particularly mouthy that a treat would not work...I have never had a mouthy colt or stallion and all were very food oriented so treat rewards worked well for them.

And as suggested, start building his verbal command vocabulary NOW. He should have this already but you didn't own him when these things should have been happening.

All of my horses understand WHOA and STAND. Whoa obviously means stop but STAND is a much more direct command meaning stop what you are doing and DO NOT MOVE A MUSCLE. It has come in handy on so many occasions for situations that could have become disasters if they had kept moving. He should also understand WALK, BACK, and STEP. Step is great for Halter work or getting up onto things or into things like trailers. Eventually you will teach him TROT and CANTER by voice but not until much much later in age.

Ultimately the kicking has GOT to stop and stop NOW. I had a client who received a kick to the face. The hoof went INTO HER HEAD, basically putting a hole in her face.

No teeth, no jaw, no nose, no cheek bones, partial eye sockets. NOTHING.

After years of surgery she now has a face. It's metal. It's paralyzed. But it's a face. She has a full set of dentures. She bought my *Soho Carol colt a few years back. This happened about two years before she bought him. She was riding in a group and everyone was in line. Her horse got too far up the rear of the horse in front of her. Her horse put his head down to grab grass, pulling her forward. At the same time the horse in front of her let a kick fly.

Right into her head.
Majid
Dear Amr,

Attached is a photo of our neighbor's daughter, May. She has loved our horses from when she was born, I think, as her mother would bring her out to visit the horses since she as a baby. In fact, she refers the horses as "her horses!"

Her parents asked if she could have a ride on her 3rd birthday, and we arranged for her to ride. I also wanted to see how the horses would react to her leading them, so I handed her Samira, who is 5 years old. May walked around proudly leading Samira, and Samira was very proud to be led around by her young friend.

Samira is a mare, but our 4 year old stallion also is fascinated with the children and very gentle with them. Our horses are all handled a lot from when they were young, and have learned to treat the handler with respect, although they also have no fear of people either. It does come back to creating that special bond with each horse and teaching it to become your partner. While it is important to have someone help train your colt, try to learn as much as possible about the bonding process, and how to have that special relationship with your colt, where you both enjoy being together, working together, yet respectful of each other.

Majid
Majid
Dear Amr,

Attached is a photo of our neighbor's daughter, May. She has loved our horses from when she was born, I think, as her mother would bring her out to visit the horses since she as a baby. In fact, she refers the horses as "her horses!"

Her parents asked if she could have a ride on her 3rd birthday, and we arranged for her to ride. I also wanted to see how the horses would react to her leading them, so I handed her Samira, who is 5 years old. May walked around proudly leading Samira, and Samira was very proud to be led around by her young friend.

Samira is a mare, but our 4 year old stallion also is fascinated with the children and very gentle with them. Our horses are all handled a lot from when they were young, and have learned to treat the handler with respect, although they also have no fear of people either. It does come back to creating that special bond with each horse and teaching it to become your partner. While it is important to have someone help train your colt, try to learn as much as possible about the bonding process, and how to have that special relationship with your colt, where you both enjoy being together, working together, yet respectful of each other.

Majid
amr antar
Dear Friends
i want you all to know that , Princess Alia has sent a trainer to help me out .
Princess Alia i thank you so much for this great act of generosity .
the trainers name is Soliman , he is a great guy and a greater handler .
yesterday was the big meeting of him and Orgowan , Orgowan was a bit tired so Soliman didnt see what we were talking about . Yesterday Soliman taught him some basics like how to stand at “ halt “ and when to walk etc..
we got a very good response from Orgowan , he seems to accept his lessons .
he learned how to trot , and i learned how to lead him how to take control and be in charge . since he was tired and has a cough Soliman said it would be a wrap . now he worked with Haifa , Yassmin’s filly , and Yassmin took some great pics of the day .
that was yesterday , first day of training .
today his second day was a bit different than yesterday , he wasn’t that tired .
when we reached the paddock Soliman knew for the first time what we are going through . as they entered Orgowan tried to take off , kick and get loose , but soliman was holding him with a firm grip, although he was dragged for more than 10 meters he never let go .
he then realized the problem and started working on it , he led Orgown in and out of the paddock more than 10 times always telling him what to do and how to behave , as a treat he let him run free for some time , then called it a day .
my colt seems to be getting some sense , now halts with a demand a simple word of “ho” and he stands still , not perfectly still but better than before , a “ go “ and he starts walking again . a big progress in just 2 days of training .
as for myself I will keep the instructions and work on them , I have no intentions of spoiling the good training that he got so far .
we still have some time to work things out , pray for me and my Orgowan .

Princess Alia , all that progress he made and the good manners he will acquire is because of you . GOD BLESS YOU

With much love , respect and relieve
Amr Antar

p.s.
I will try to post some of the pics Yassmin took of him ( just need to do some resizing ) .
Nadj al Nur
Amr, I am so glad to hear that you are making godd progress with your colt. It is wonderful that you have someone to get some good training from for yourself as well.Princess Alia always seems to know exactly the right thing to do.We are all blessed to be aquainted with her.
Please keep us updated ? Wish I could be there to see the progress you are making.
Best
Cathy
amr antar
QUOTE (Nadj al Nur @ Dec 1 2007, 09:50 PM)
Amr, I am so glad to hear that you are making godd progress with your colt. It is wonderful that you have someone to get some good training from for yourself as well.Princess Alia always seems to know exactly the right thing to do.We are all blessed to be aquainted with her.
Please keep us updated ? Wish I could be there to see the progress you are making.
Best
Cathy

Cathy my dear friend
what can i say
ur words speak the truth , we truly are blessed to be aquainted with her .

i will try to keep u updated as much as i can , and u know that u r always here with us smile.gif
love
Amr Antar
karin
Good morning Amr

You have a good angel waking over you and Yassmin. Fantastic news!!!!

Pay good attention of what you learn from this person..

Princes Alia, you have a golden heart.

Karin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.