Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Is The Differnt Between The Desert Horse And
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - ‹bersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
Aynur
can anyone help?
what is the different between the desert arabian horse and the arabian horse?
Shams
Yeahhhhhh!!!!! rolleyes.gif Please answer it smile.gif
2mntn
This is both an easy and a tough question. laugh.gif The short answer is that Arabian horses are from The Desert. So they are desert Arabians. Many, many generations of Arabian horses have never seen a desert, much less THE Desert. biggrin.gif So it could be argued, but some, that the only Desert Arabians are those who presently LIVE in the deserts of Arabia. biggrin.gif

That's my perspective on it,
Ray
diane
good answer smile.gif Aynur, from another perspective... is the above what you were seeking or were you asking of the pedigree of the desert horse as compared to the pedigree of the Arabian purebred?
Bandit
Your question say "what is the difference between the desert arabian horse and the arabian horse".

In my opinion the question you ask is not specific enough but my off the cuff answer is the difference between a desert arabian horse and other types of arabian horses(with all due respect) is that a desert arab can be traced back in all lines to the tribe in arabia from which it originated such as the Banu Khalid and or the breeders name who was a part of a given tribe or even still to a breeder such as Ibn Saud who bred Arabians from differnt tribes that he aquired. This tracing can take place thru a given horses Hujjah. Speculation as to where the horses came from doesnt quite cut it. The horse must be able to be traced in all lines to the desert of Arabia.

Please give us a more specific explanation of the question you are asking.

Someone said to me the other day "If we do not talk about the Blue Star Penincilin arabs they will cease to exist" so Im all for talking and learning more about them whenever I get the chance.

In S.A. these type horses are called Penincilin Arabians.

Heres a photo of my Penincilin mare whose ancestors came from Arabia directly to the USA. Her Arabia born ancestors who were imported to the USA were either bred by HRH Ibn Saud or his cousin Amir Ibn Jeluwi.
She could be called a desert bred mare by some, a Blue Star mare without Blue Star Egyptian Blood by others and still a penicilin mare in S.A. She is pure in the strain Abbeyan.

Oh, better yet Ill post a photo of my mare and a Saudi friend of mines mare who was born bred and still lives in S.A. Both my friend and his mare. Haha
The mare in S.A. is standing in sand.Click to view attachment[attachmentid=58331
Shams
Nice Horses smile.gif Really smile.gif
Bandit
Well thank you Shams.

My mare looks ok standing still but what shes bred to do is move and I think she does it quite well.

I havent had her but a month or so and were still getting to know each other. She is very smart and strong. Luck for me she seems to like me almost as much as I like her.
The only other horses Ive ever had that would consistantly look me directly in the eye are Egyptian stallions.
This mare is constantly making eye contact with me. Not in a negative way but in way that says "Im very intelligent".
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Torhild
Some people l have overheard this discussion several times before uses the argument against the SE type that they don`t understand the diffrence because they see all types of arabians tracked back to the desert some how. Can someone really give me the logical explaination so they can be helped to understand it once and for all? unsure.gif smile.gif
-Torhild
Wahag
QUOTE (Aynur @ Dec 11 2007, 10:51 PM)
can anyone help?
what is the different between the desert arabian horse and the arabian horse?

There is no deference at all.

All the Arabian horses originated from Arabian horses which lived in Arabia Deseret.

We can conceder the bedwins tribes who lived in Arabia desert are the oven in which the Arabian horses were coked.
Seglavi
I cannot agree that all Arabian horses trace back to the desert when there are many examples of other than Arabian blood having been added to our existing Arabians, except those defined by pedigree as Al Khamsa and Asil.
Purebred Arabians as defined by WAHO and various national registries are simply a vehicle for cataloging high % Arabian horses. Many have their extended pedigrees shrouded in darkness and unknown ancestors.
Should a person find these fine horses acceptable, that is fine, there is room for all. Should a person desire a better known background, one must study the literature, the published research, and acquaint themselves with the difference.
Pam
Wahag
QUOTE (Seglavi @ Dec 14 2007, 08:06 PM)
I cannot agree that all Arabian horses trace back to the desert when there are many examples of other than Arabian  blood having been added to our existing Arabians, except those defined by pedigree as Al Khamsa and Asil.
Purebred Arabians as defined by WAHO and various national registries are simply a vehicle for  cataloging high % Arabian horses.  Many have their extended pedigrees shrouded in darkness and unknown ancestors.
Should a person find these fine horses acceptable, that is fine, there is room for all. Should a person desire a better known background, one must study the literature, the published research, and acquaint themselves with the difference.
Pam

I totally agree with you.

but what I meant is just to answer the question in a simple way.

I dont think that our friend who puted this topic wants to go deeply on the details u mentioned.

have a nice day cool.gif
Seglavi
Thank you Wahag.
Pam
Bandit
QUOTE (Wahag @ Dec 14 2007, 12:47 PM)
There is no deference at all.

All the Arabian horses originated from Arabian horses which lived in Arabia Deseret.

We can conceder the bedwins tribes who lived in Arabia desert are the oven in which the Arabian horses were coked.

Bedouin bred Arabian horses went from Arabia to Syria, Poland, England, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, etc. and were bred in those countries. The look of those imported strains changed over time to get the different looks and conformation we see today in the horses bred in those countries.

There is a difference between desert bred Arabian horses whos ancestors cannot be traces directly back to the bedouin bred Arabian horses, whos ancestors can be traced back to Arabia, and the bedouin tribes who bred them.

This was just pointed out to me because I called a very prominent retired breeder of Arabian horses whos Arabian horses ancestors originated from Arabian horses bred by Arabian Bedouins.

I need to learn to be more specific when speaking about current day Arabian horses originating from Arabian horses bred by Arabian Bedouins who can be traced back to the Arabian desert.

Geography leason 101 is my course of the day.
Aynur
thank you all for your help and reply,kindly read the editorial below i found it in an old magazine

Reprint of Guest Editorial by Dani EL Barbary reprinted from the Arabian Horse World.

As you travel in pursuit of the Arabian horse, likely as not, one you will meet Dani EL Barbary. A well-known figure among international Arabian Breeders, she is a WAHO member and a respected international judge. In 1983, she judged the Polish National Show at Janow Podlaski and the Salon du Cheval in Paris for the second year in row. Dani EL Barbary owns one of the few private breeding farms in Egypt, the Shams El Assil stud, where she stands her Wahag son, Misk (X Nazeema).

Thank you very much for giving me the chance to share some of my thoughts about the Arabian horse with your reader. I am not at all an authority, as you know, or much of a writer, but as a lover and breeder of the Arab horse I would like to express some of my feelings and fears for him. To me the Arabian horse is the DESERT HORSE; a noble creature and the most beautiful conquest of man.

He is the true and faithful companion and friend to whoever loves and keeps him.

He is the father for all good horses in the world, and like a symphony of pride, courage, grace, refinement, substance and power. This symphony is played at its best, very well studied and perfectly balanced. It is the work of GOD no man can do better. Stressing one note would be at the expense of another.

Here lie my fears. People love the Arabian horse. It's not difficult to do so, in fact it's hard not to. But people to learn to love him the way he is, with his faults as well as his good qualities.
Of course, we all think he should be bred to perfection, but what is perfection? Perfection is relative to what one thinks or imagines, or needs.

Caught between everyone's beliefs, this heavenly gift of GOD will be lost. He is small, we say, he does not have much of a neck, he has not greatest movement in the world, etc., etc .We seem to be always looking for faults, faults which could be in fact his qualities as a desert horse. The desert horse small and exquisites, dainty, dry, light, and very refined eats little, drinks little, is able to fly without wings, carrying his friends in the vast and extremely hot desert of Arabia. No sweat, no short breath, always full of spirit and head high, with his fine, densely-boned legs that do not sink in the sand and graceful high movement like his desert companion the gazelle, or which he does not really needs a long neck.

If everyone keeps on breeding him the way they conceive he should be, instead of the way he was meant to be, we might as well honestly confess to ourselves, we are breeding a different beautiful horse to fit our needs of today, close to the blood, but not the pure Arabian that over the years and ages has inspired kings and sultans, poets and painters and to whom we owe all the good breeds of the world today.

I pray and hope that the breeders of pure Arabians will always keep in mind that he is a desert horse. He should be loved and appreciated for what he really is, because he simply cannot be better.

He, who keeps a mare for the love of GOD, is akin to he who prays, fasts, and gives to poor. This is one of the most beautiful holy sayings I have ever heard about the Arabian. He is blessed by GOD, and I believe that if we keep him as he is pure as we can, for the love of GOD, we also will be blessed.
zomorroda
Caught between everyone's beliefs, this heavenly gift of GOD will be lost. He is small, we say, he does not have much of a neck, he has not greatest movement in the world, etc., etc .We seem to be always looking for faults, faults which could be in fact his qualities as a desert horse. The desert horse small and exquisites, dainty, dry, light, and very refined eats little, drinks little, is able to fly without wings, carrying his friends in the vast and extremely hot desert of Arabia. No sweat, no short breath, always full of spirit and head high, with his fine, densely-boned legs that do not sink in the sand and graceful high movement like his desert companion the gazelle, or which he does not really needs a long neck.

Thank you Aynur for reminding me about the 'desert'-qualities ...

it may be a different reason I am saying this then the reason you posted this ... I have taken my 'desert horse' from the desert to Germany and it's good to be reminded of her real 'nature', her origin ... to understand some of the problems she has getting used to horse-wonderland Germany ... and also to understand even more the difference between her and my beloved German breed arabian ...

Sabine
cate
Aynur...I also say "thank you" for posting this article by Dani EL Barbary.

How true everything Dani El Barbary says is. All breeders should take note, but how many will. I hear so much about movement, long necks, so many, at least here in the UK., seem to forget that the Arabian is a Desert Horse and not an English Hunter! So many breeding for their own idea of what the Arabian should be and so many Arabian horses looking so unlike an Arabian.

So few now seem to appreciate the Arabian for what he is and instead look so often to trying to compete against other breeds to show the Arabian can do what other breeds do instead of loving and appreciating him for the beautiful, exotic and human loving faithful horse he is. Not another horse on this earth like him. People should appreciate him just as God made him and remember man cannot improve on what God created. We are here to preserve the Arabian.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.