Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blanket Use In Colder Weather
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - ‹bersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
Tinasalbos
I have aquired an Egyptian Arabian, this poor girl had a rough start and has been passed around to anyone that would have her. She has finally found her forever home but I am not so familiar with the extra care needed to look after her. I got her late January of '07. When she arrived she had no blanket on but there was one in her belongings. Later that night when I went to check on her, I found her shivering quite badlly. I quickly got the blanket and covered her with that and an old sleeping bag. She quickly warmed up. She wore the blanket till spring. I wasn't sure if she needs to wear a liner or layered blankets throughout the winter. Sometimes it gets down to -20 degrees at night. She is always in her stall at nights, but it still gets cold in the barn. How about supplements or extra feed to keep her warm. Is there anything else I need to know about this beautiful breed? Her legs are pretty bad too, Her knees have scar tissue from a jumping accident I was told. I give her 1 scoop of MSM daily to keep any inflamation down. Is there something else I could be giving her? She is truly a sweet soul considering she spent the first six years of her life in a field with cattle. I don't know how she survived. Waiting for your answers. Tina and Baby
jacksarabians
Hi Tina and baby smile.gif !

It looks like this young girl found the right home ! I think you do the best for her ! Excepted my old mare, my three other young females are outside with free entry to the barn ; I give them twice the normal quantity of food with oil (during one month) and hay all the time when the weather is so cold !
For the legs, you can use clay during two days (large and deep layer),
then wash and dry and do it again...
Your care and love are the more important ! she is very lucky !
have a nice new year together !
amarie
Nadj al Nur
Hi Tina
I don't know where you live, but here in BC (Canada) where I am, it can go down to -40 and stay there for a few days. Even then, I do not blanket my horses, they have such a thick, dense coat. They do have free access to good quality grass hay at such times, however, and also free access to warm water. The only time they get blankets is if they are wet, and then only untill they are totally dry, then the blanket comes off. I do make sure they go into winter with a really good body score though, and I do give them a suppliment in winter as well. They are also barned at night, and it rarely freezes in the barn. Every horse is different, but it seems that once you start to blanket, then you must do it all the time.
Cathy
BaileyArabians
Tina when I first got my mare she was underweight and she came from south of where I lived, she had the equivelant coat which wasn't enough for here. When it got below 20 she would shake like crazy. I would blanket her until it would get above 30 and then take it off. (usually she'd need this overnight, but off the next day unless it was really exceptionally cold)

Even now if it gets really cold I'll throw the blanket on, especially for overnight. Usually the daytime temperatures are good enough for her especially if she's moving around.

I also keep her stocked up on hay because this is what causes her to generate her own body heat, the digestion of her hay.

So if she's not fat enough to stay warm or her coat wasnt' able to grow in sufficiently because she's had a rough life, I would suggest throwing her blanket on at night when it gets below 20, rainey or excessively windy at low temps.

This way she doesn't shake off her weight during the winter.

Oh and the whole time she had good quality abundant hay, 3 pounds of senior feed morning and night (6lbs a day) and a salt/mineral block. She's also wormed regularly so she can use her food properly. That's all she's needed food-wise.

Kathy
p.s. congratulations on being her forever home, it's a rewarding thing! biggrin.gif
Tinasalbos
Hello Amarie, Thanks for the reply. I am going to try increasing her food and adding the oil. She already gets more hay than the rest of the gang. I'm not sure what you mean about the clay, what kind of clay? We live in Southern Ontario in Canada and I don't recall anyone using this method. You can always learn so much from different practices all over the world. You and your family, 2 and 4 legged have a wonderful new year. Tina and Baby Click to view attachment
Tinasalbos
Click to view attachmentHi Cathy, We live in Southern Ontario and we can really get dumped on (snow) and really cold temps, then add to that some freezing rain and I'll tell you I look forward to April from about October. I also have a bratty mare that likes to stand guard at the run-in and not let anyone pass. Poor Baby's at the bottom of the chain, not counting our two Shetlands. This year I got Baby a blanket with the neck attached so she's pretty well covered. We don't have enough property to separate the dominant mare. I think I'll increase her grain to what you feed as I wasn't giving her that much and some extra hay when she comes in at night. I have a hard time seeing how much she actually gets when they are all out together. On a good note, she has actually gained weight since she's been here and she was getting a nice winter coat, but the first cold spell I found her shivering and had to get the blanket out. I have a feeling she will always be a covered mare. She's about 10 or 11 now. Thanks for your reply, you must have some beautiful riding spots in B.C! Wishing you and your gang a happy New Year. Tina and Baby
Tinasalbos
Click to view attachmentHi Kathy, thanks for the reply. We live in Southern Ontario and probably get the same weather as you do. I started out without the blanket this year as she got a nice winter coat on her, but I found her shivering in her stall and had to put it on. When she was left outside with the cattle for those six years she got rain rot really bad I was told. I saw some scars around her neck, forehead and tail this spring when she shedded out. Would that have anything to do with her climatizing to the cold. Will she always be at risk for getting rain rot? It's really too bad because I'm told she has an impressive bloodline. The original owner, he is actually still the owner as he doesn't want to part with the papers, had more money than brains and purchased a stallion and a couple mares of substancial breeding. He then bred them and produced some foals over the next few years. He then got interested in something else and they went out to pasture with some cattle. I've been told they have all been "given away" to good homes with no worries that the owner will someday ask for them back. I'm sorry, I got to rambling. I would love to find out more about this gentle soul in my barn. I always thought Arabians were so hot and unpredictable and dangerous but they are truly an amazing breed. Baby is so loyal and patient and gentle, she has stolen my heart as my favorite in my barn. Wishing you and your gang a Happy New Year. Tina and Baby
Nadj al Nur
Tina, do you know anything about her pedigree??? do you have her registered name??? If you do, it's easy for us to find out......
Cathy
jacksarabians
Hi Tina ... and Baby !

Clay is seal - don't know if it's the good translation "argile" in French !
I also add a little bit of thyme, garlic and laurel all mixed in powder everyday in the food. I have a bay-tree at home and they eat leaves themselves !
Of course they have a mineral block all the time !
take care, amarie smile.gif
The Messenger
Hi, first of all, I have 40 active years in raising and training Arabians and the first part was in northern Vermont where the weather could get down to minus 40 degrees! My last 22 years have been in the Ocala area and like last night, it gets cold here too, 25 degrees at times. Whether or not to blanket is always a question. My uncle, an old Vermonter taught me two very important things, cold wind and cold rain will take a horse down. Also, hay is what will keep a horse warm, not feed. Also, leave the Alfalfa to the cattle; Timothy up north, and Coastal down south as long as neither is fine and it should be second cut so as not to be too high in protein. Stop at anything over 12% protein for a horse, (this also includes feed) their kidneys cannot handle it ! As far as the arthritis goes, the one thing I find that works best is Next-Level Joint Fluid. It is expensive, but I have some old retirees plus a rescued foundered horse and it even helps her. Try K-V Vet Supply price, even with their shipping, use them for comparison when shopping. Now, when it comes to blanketing, even in Florida, when I first came here, I built not only individual feeding pens, but huge covered run in sheds. And, yes, when it gets down in the 30's I blanket certain horses, especially when we get the cold winds. I have 21 horses. I have 22 waterproof medium weight and heavyweight coats for them all. I also have some fuzzy horses. Last night and tonight they are all blanketed and will stay blanketed. YES, EVEN IN THE BARN, YOU KEEP HER BLANKETED Because of her former neglect give her comfort. It will not hurt, but remember the rule. For a horse to stay warm, they have to be fuzzy and they have to not have their hair be pressed down by mud or they cannot fluff it up to trap warm air, so if you blanket, it has to be heavy enough to compensate as the blanket will press down that hair. So, if your coat is not heavy, by all means layer with two blankets. Stick your hand in under the neck and see if it feels warm to your hand. If so, then she is warm enough. Also remember, a horse that does not have to expend calories to keep warm will not lose weight so they are easier on your feed bill! And, some of my old rescues are Thoroughbreds and they will lose weight fast if not fed properly! sad.gif My feed bill only goes up in the winter for hay.) AND, my horses have hay in front of them all of the time. A hay belly on a horse means a healthy horse. Only a hard working horse should have more HIGH FAT BASED FEED and less hay (so the hay doesn't press on their lungs). Good luck and take care. The Messenger
Nancy Bourque/Ibriz Arabians
The only horse that I keep a blanket on is El Ibriz. He hates the cold and will actually "ask" me for his blanket. I live in the Maritime provinces and so I have about the same weather that you have. I wouldn't hesitate to put a blanket on a horse that I thought was a bit underweight or not in the best of health. If it's a winter blanket though, I don't think you'd need to add a liner unless it was extremely cold or she was standing outdoors in wind or cold rain. The rest of my horses almost never get a blanket although I do have blankets for them if they are needed.

I hope you are able to find out the registered name of your mare. I would love to know what her breeding is. Since the Edwards/Montebello thing, there are so many wonderful horses floating around up there that no one knows about.
Bay Area Arabians
My mare is due in 3 weeks - so she does not get blanketed, but she is brought in if it looks like rain or windy... and she is brought in at night... When I first got her she was a rescue and it was cold and she needed about 3-400 more pounds on her... she would shiver if it reached 60 - of course you could see her backbone and rib cage... she looked pitiful- so she had layers on so she would not burn more calories by shivering... as shivering makes the body warmer... when she would get too warm I would take a layer off and at night or in inclimate weather I would add a blanket or sheet... now she is healthy and is not blanketed at all....also my vet told me that horses warm when they eat so I would keep grass hay in front of her also... it is pricey ($20 per bale in Cali right now) but well worth it!

I do the same for Sigar and he has a show coat year round...I have an average of 3 balnkets on him at night in the winter....4 if it drops to the 30's... always 1 nylon sheet and 2 midweight blankets.... I layer the midweights because it is easier to take one off than to take 1 heavyweight and then add a midweight... he is NOT under lights... but also has a neck cover on...during the day he has on the same unless it warms and then we take off the blankets layer by layer as the temp rises... after every workout or bath he gets one to 2 coolers...

in the summer he gets a sheet at night (or nothing if it is in the 80's-90's) and possibly 1 blanket...

we never trailer with blankets/ coolers/ or leg wraps....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.