Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Massive Purina Horse Feed Recall
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - ‹bersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
Pete Hiatt
45 different Purina products have reportedly been recalled in the last month. This recall was not made public but recalled through their dealers only. The problem is aflatoxines which are highly carcinogenic and cause liver disfunction, immune suppression, and neurological problems. Very poor consumer support.
Cheryl L
I sure am glad that I switched to Nutrena.
Purina has had a reputation of buying the cheapest grain and using that in their products. You would never get the same mix from one batch to the next.
Shame on Purina, for not allowing the public to know.
Cheryl
Marilee
How do we get a list of the recalled feeds? I work at Petsmart, but since State Line Tack was purchased from them, I do not have a connection there to find out.
smokygirl
So far, it's not too many feeds. They did it through the distributors because they didn't need to call all of them. It was only a few shipments to a small amount of the distributors that got the contaminated feed. I am still waiting for more information. My dealer did not receive a shipment from this, so was not informed. When he called, he found out this info, but he asked for more. I believe on the list were certain days, and I think it was the Senior Feed and one other.
flying hooves
I wouldnt panic unless you live in the NC surrounding areas:

horse feed recall - please xpost April 04, 2008 9:17 AM

Country Acres RECALL

1-800-227-8941. Phone number for Purina

Here is what I found out. There is a recall from products made @ the
Statesville, NC PLant that distributes to North and South Carolina and
parts of Southern VA.
Florida has 2 of its own plants in Florida.

To be sure look @ the bottom of your bag for a Date Code. If the Date
Code starts w/STA-it was made in Statesville. The time frame is from
11/17/07 to 2/1/08.

Products affected: Cournty Acres: Horse Sweet 10, and 12
Horse Pellets 10 & 12,

Equine Senior dated 1/5/08

Horse Chow 100 dat ed 11/3/07 & 12/10/07.

The woman @ the 800 number was very helpful, if you have questions she
said to call the above number or call your dealer. Purina sent out
notification to dealers that are carrying the product.

Also here is a link to check on FDA reported recalls:
http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html

Lisa
Saazar
I have 3 horses on Purina Senior and when I checked my bags last night they are from the Statesville Plant (one of the ones with recalls), but the dates were outside the range listed on the recall list. I went to the feed store this morning first thing to find out more. They said Purina had contacted them first of April with the information and they had already shipped back the recalled feed -- it was never distributed (at least from the store I use) . After she gave all the lot numbers Purina gave them I checked the bags I have (I recycle the bags so usually have a month or two at at time stacked up to take to the bins) and none of my bags were from the recalled lots. I will admit to haveing panicked when I saw this last night - the thought of feeding tainted feed had be terrified I might have hurt one of my oldies.

Luckily - it seems that Purina and the dealers are on top of it
Ladypurr
Not surprising!

Animal feeds are simply not as well regulated as they should be.

The Lord works in mysterious ways His miracles to perform! My local feed store quoted me a price of nearly $20 for a 50-lb. bag of Equine Senior. I had been feeding it up until about two months ago but refused to pay their exhorbitant increase so I switched to Nutrina.

I'm sure glad I did. I hope and pray no one tragically looses horses the way so many people lost dogs and cats due to the pet food contamination in early 2007. Imagine feeding your beloved cat or dog food you thought was safe only to find out as your beloved friend was dying that you were feeding him/her poison. It would have killed me!

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if one of its ingredients in question turns out to be a grain or additive imported from...you guessed it...China!

--Susan sad.gif
Marilee
Thanks for the update. I have used Equine Senior and Manna Pro Senior for years, and want to know what is going on.
Al Sahra Arabians
I called today--and found out that THREE plants have had recalls--one in North Carolina, one in New York, and one in Pennsylvania. So--HEADS UP to all of you in those areas! Call Purina customer service at 1-800-227-8941 to see about your area. Check the bottom edge of your feed bags--it has three letters and a date--tell the people at Purina what the three letters and date are, and they can tell you if you have any bad feed.

We are in Georgia, and our Purina feed (that I just bought at increasing prices) all came from our Gainesville, Georgia plant.

I have used Purina feeds because they don't buy any grain, additives, or any thing to put in their feed from outside of the U.S. After the problems with dog and cat food, I thought it was worth paying extra. But I'm sure not pleased with the way this "dealer recall" has been handled. I would have thought a lot more of the company if they would have brought the issues directly to their consumers--and not tried to hide it via their dealers.

Sue
Saazar
I agree Sue, it seems like Purina was/is trying to hide something. I looked all over their website last night and found nothing regarding the recall. I'm in East Tn and all the senior feed I have came from the Statesville, NC plant which causes me great concern. I looked at Nutrena's website last night to see if we have a local dealer, not one within a 45 min. drive. It seems at this point my only options are small local mills who mix their own, southern states (who has had safety issues of their own with contaimined horse feed) and Purina. Think I will try to see if my current feed store will look into becomeing a Nutrena dealer. I really wish Purina would have just come out and said - we have a problem. It would have left me with more trust in them.
Pete Hiatt
I stopped using Purina years ago. Their wet COB was always weird looking. It killed 17 horses in just one barn in the Mid West. I also only use dry COB now.
Saazar
Pete,

I'll ask the stupid question - what is COB???
carolmaginn
I use Good and Safe low starch feed and I'm so glad. Its got all the nutrients without the designer price tag and its low starch...
Nadj al Nur
COB= corn, oats, barley
Cathy
Pete Hiatt
And "sweet" COB has molassas added. I keep hearing reports that molassas retards the body's usage of certain vitamins and minerals.
Nadj al Nur
I think the molasses has a tendancy to make the corn go mouldy rather quickly, especially in hot weather.Just my observation..........haven't fed anything with molasses for years........
Cathy
Saazar
Found this statement from Purina today - it does make me feel better as this is the same thing my local Purina dealer told me yesterday when I was in there. My horses have done very well on the Purina Senior so I am glad to here this was all blown out of proportion.

Recalled Feed

We recently received a fowarded email, and you may have too, stating that Purina recalled feed because of aflotoxin levels and that this info was never put out to the general public.

We would like to respond to this email and put all of you at ease.

We contacted St. Louis and Purina did pull feed out on the east coast. The feed was recalled from the dealers before it ever got to the customers. The Aflatoxins (a mold that Purina tests for in every batch of feed) was at a level that Purina does not allow. It was not at a toxic level, but it was to high for Purina standands. NO HORSES WERE SICK OR DIED. If Purina thought that some of the feed got in the food chain they would have called it back from the end customers (You). Purina has a batch number and codes on every bag, they know where every bags goes. When there is a recall we have to send back every bag.

Purina did not inform the general public because this was not a country wide issue and none of the feed ever reached the general public or their horses.

Just so you know every region of the country gets their Purina horse feed mixed at different plants so what happens in one area does not necessarily happen in another area. All of Purinas horse feed mixing plants mix only horse feeds no cattle or other animal feeds so that none of the drugs in cattle, sheep, chicken, etc. feeds could ever have a chance of getting in the horse feed. Aflotoxins are a mold that can develop in corn when the plant receives a load of corn the entire semi is tested for molds if the levels are too high that entire semi is refused and sent on to another company or is used in cattle feeds where those levels are safe. There is a chance that in this situation by the end processing the levels between ingredients added up to be too high for Purinas standards, end result Purina pulled the feed from their dealers.

If any of you have any other questions regarding this issue or any at all feel free to contact us by email or phone 507-285-5547 and we will do our best to answer them.

Thank you,

Quick Links...
Purina Mills

Newsletter Archive
Zajaddi
QUOTE (Saazar @ May 3 2008, 01:10 PM)
Found this statement from Purina today - it does make me feel better as this is the same thing my local Purina dealer told me yesterday when I was in there.  My horses have done very well on the Purina Senior so I am glad to here this was all blown out of proportion.

Recalled Feed

We recently received a fowarded email, and you may have too, stating that Purina recalled feed because of aflotoxin levels and that this info was never put out to the general public.

We would like to respond to this email and put all of you at ease.

We contacted St. Louis and Purina did pull feed out on the east coast. The feed was recalled from the dealers before it ever got to the customers. The Aflatoxins (a mold that Purina tests for in every batch of feed) was at a level that Purina does not allow. It was not at a toxic level, but it was to high for Purina standands. NO HORSES WERE SICK OR DIED. If Purina thought that some of the feed got in the food chain they would have called it back from the end customers (You). Purina has a batch number and codes on every bag, they know where every bags goes. When there is a recall we have to send back every bag.

Purina did not inform the general public because this was not a country wide issue and none of the feed ever reached the general public or their horses.

Just so you know every region of the country gets their Purina horse feed mixed at different plants so what happens in one area does not necessarily happen in another area. All of Purinas horse feed mixing plants mix only horse feeds no cattle or other animal feeds so that none of the drugs in cattle, sheep, chicken, etc. feeds could ever have a chance of getting in the horse feed. Aflotoxins are a mold that can develop in corn when the plant receives a load of corn the entire semi is tested for molds if the levels are too high that entire semi is refused and sent on to another company or is used in cattle feeds where those levels are safe. There is a chance that in this situation by the end processing the levels between ingredients added up to be too high for Purinas standards, end result Purina pulled the feed from their dealers.

If any of you have any other questions regarding this issue or any at all feel free to contact us by email or phone 507-285-5547 and we will do our best to answer them.

Thank you,

Quick Links...
Purina Mills

Newsletter Archive

Thanks for the info Amy

Purina has put decades into research to producing some of the best pet feeds on the market.

We've used it for more than 20 years with great success.

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.