Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Horse?
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - ‹bersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
lyndi
Over the years( and there have been 63 of mine unsure.gif ) I look back at all the horses I have seen, be it pictures or real life and I think the horse who impressed me the most was world champion "Carmargue," obviously that shaped my future breeding programme, but I would love to know which horse, if you could choose just one would be yours? please add a picture of your favourite for us all to see? smile.gif gbfahne.gif
elsbetha
There's no doubt whatsoever - the one and only Pilarka. (1975, Palas/Pierzga) Once seen and never forgotten, I don't expect to ever see another horse quite like her, she was breathtaking. I know there were other horses in the ring when she showed but my memory of Pilarka is that she was the only horse in the ring!
She changed my picture of the arabian horse forever, she also led me in another direction (east, to Poland) which has given much pleasure over the years.

I also saw Camague many years ago in Paris and was very impressed, a truly beautiful stallion.
Bandit
About five years after I bought my first Arabian I saw this photo. This horse looked so different from other Arabians Id seen up until then. I cut the photo out and for some reason was compelled to put it in my top dresser drawer and there it stayed with only my unmentionables for company for quite a few years. Then about two years ago when Id come to a fork n the road with Arabian horses and was doing alot of soul searching about whether I even wanted to keep company with any of them any longer, I saw this photo as I had countless times when I opened that drawer but this time I went searching for him. Of course he is now dead but Im happy to say that today I own a stallion that traces to him and his full sister several times. The horse in the photo is named Alwal Bahet and he saved me from a life without Arabian horses.
Click to view attachment
reidfm
Early spring of 1967, we made or pilgrimage to the *Morafic Mecca.
Arriving early for our viewing, we were directed to the stallion wing to await Tom McNair's arrival. We found TWO gorgeous grey stallions, one on each side of the aisle and for the next 20 minutes we compared.
In our humble opinion the one on the south side excelled in every characteristic. We were amazed when Tom arrived and informed us that the horse we were viewing was *THABIT (Alaa El Din x Kaydahom).
Five years later we acquired *Thabit and his only daughter from whom we produced three generations of female progeny and many hours of fantastic riding activities.
Floyd Reid, Bishop CA
Oliver
Great stories..... go ahead, please.

Dear Floyd,
do you happen to have some more photos of *THABIT?
I never saw a picture of him before and I have to say
that he looks gorgeous on this photo.
What happened to him? Someone told me he ended up
as a gelding but given his looks on the pic and his
one-of-a-kind pedigree I can't believe that...
straight_egyptian_lover
I've always adored horses but it was about 4-5 years ago that i realised how WONDERFUL Arabian horses are... I have to say that the one horse that really caught my eye in the very beginning was a very young Al Lahab (Laheeb x The Vision HG)... I thought he was just stunning... Now i think that he is beyond words. He is the eptomine of everything i aspire to one day breed. I think he is sheer perfection!!!

However on a more personal level i would have to say that the Aussie bred filly, Lavender Park Stardust would be the horse that has impacted me the most... I first saw her picture in a magazine as a young foal in December last year and shortly after (through this forum) i met her owner Lisa Whitehead... Lisa began to send me pictures of Stardust and i am continuously learning a great deal from Lisa. Although not quite SE i think Stardust is the most beautiful filly i've ever seen- although i'm yet to meet her in real life... She has the biggest Darkest eyes you can image and a head that is so perfect! One day i would like Stardust as the foundation my stud (if Lisa will let me hehe) Other wise i'll be just as happy with a Stardust daughter. In fact this Saturday Stardust and her half sister Eternal are going to their first show and Lisa has generally offered me the oppourtunity to handle one of them in their class!!! As it's my first show i'm as nervous as i am excited! So i really think that Lavender Park Stardust deserves to be the one that really changed (and will change) my life the most!!!

Jess
tkr9
For a non arabian it was Milton who had the biggest impact on me. I still am, and always will be, that majestic white horse's biggest fan. Flying without wings wasn't half of it, I swear that horse was permanently airbourne.

Arabian wise, I have said it before and I will say it again. It was a picture of Shah Azim rearing, taken by Bob Langrish. I duplicate it here with Bob Langrish's copyright on it in respect to our photographer thread. This photograph drew me to arabians, gave me a lifelong love of chestnuts and epitomises everything I love about horses, arabians and life. Beauty, power, grace, fire, elegance & freedom - it never fails to take my breath away.

Bob Langrish, Robert Vavra and Jan Arthrus Betrand are my heroes. I'd give anything to be as good as these guys and have their job. I hate my job, well, I love the company, and everything about it, just not the actual job...

kay cochran
The horse that made the biggest impression on me was *Serafix. He was the most beautiful perfect Arabian I have ever seen. He was the model of what an Arabian stallion should look like. JK
adnan
I have to say "The Black Stallion" (from the movie- so that was Cass Ole)
made the biggest impression on me as a child... definitely got me interested in Arabians- and completely appreciating communication between horse and rider.

Jodi smile.gif
Cheryl L
QUOTE (Oliver @ Sep 21 2008, 04:45 PM)

Dear Floyd,
do you happen to have some more photos of *THABIT?
I never saw a picture of him before and I have to say
that he looks gorgeous on this photo.
What happened to him? Someone told me he ended up
as a gelding but given his looks on the pic and his
one-of-a-kind pedigree I can't believe that...

Hi Oliver,
*Thabit was gelded in 1968 as a 4 year old, according to Datasource, he was owned by a wonderful horseman Richard Veselovsky. *Thabit's name came up in the ZT Ali Barba thread and I emailed Richard and this is what he had to say:

I am surprised to hear that anyone would inquire about my beloved horse *Thabit. He was one of the most beautiful horses I have ever seen. I bought him from Floyd Reid and if I remembered correctly showed him to some success.I was aware of *Thabits reputation. I have no comment to make on *thabit before I owned him although I could make some comments if I wished. I will say this. Horses react differently to different owners and handlers. My ownership of *Thabit is one of the highlights of a long breeding career. I rode *thabit often ,he was my personal mount. I was never a great rider. One time I rolled off him. He stopped and came over to me and stood looking down and waited for me to get back up. He nursed me along. I enjoyed riding him very much.

When my cousin Brian Bennett expressed an interest in *thabit I decided to let Brian have him. He was an excellent rider, very accomplished and I knew he would ride *thabit and they would enjoy each other. I had decided not to ride anymore at that point.

*Thabit was a horse that doesn't come along often. The rest of my memories I will keep to myself."

Cheryl
reidfm
QUOTE (Oliver @ Sep 21 2008, 01:45 PM)

Dear Floyd,    Do you have more photos of *THABIT?
I never saw a picture of him before and I have to say that he looks gorgeous on this photo.
His one-of-a-kind pedigree ...

Dear Oliver, What an honor! being asked for pictures of *THABIT. In Feb 1972, Tom McNair asked if I would like to have *Thabit.
I have some recollection to the effect that *Thabit was monorchid, that efforts to get the second testicle to drop included hormones and later surgery.
If the efforts had been successful ... I believe *Thabit would have made a major contribution to the breed.
Tom warned me that unless I rode *Thabit every day, that he would "test me" ... I owned him for 5 1/2 years and loved the ride. Floyd Reid

Click to view attachment
BasiliskBelka
Latifah by The Shah - and then, The Shah himself. So different from the 'tank-like' Crabbet horses of their era. 31 years later, I still have Latifah's daughter Lutfiyah smile.gif smile.gif

And I still love Babsons!

Keren gbfahne.gif
HartzArabians
Asfour. He is my reason for buying my first Arabian and every time I get disillusioned with the way the Arabian breed is heading as a whole I look at that picture of him that I first saw so many years ago and I feel better!
Arabian Stud Europe
Definately Pianissima!
And before I knew her, it was the mare Essteema.

Best wishes,

Talitha
AnneDk
I have not been 'into' Arabians for all that long - only about 5 years - but I have seen a few after all.

This year I was at Malvern, and the horse that totally awed me and had me brimming with emotion was Vodolej. I swear, that horse never touches the ground when he moves! It seems as if he moved by hovercraft!! Seeing him 'floating' so gracefully and effortlessly yet never seeking to take control from his handler was a sight I shall never forget. My pics do not do him justice, but I would like to share them with you all the same smile.gif

Poetry in motion:

There have been others who have captured my heart (always room for another biggrin.gif ) - but Vodolej is on the top shelf!!

Anne
lyndi
QUOTE (reidfm @ Sep 23 2008, 02:49 AM)
Dear Oliver,    What an honor! being asked for pictures of *THABIT. In Feb 1972, Tom McNair asked if I would like to have *Thabit.
I have some recollection to the effect that *Thabit was monorchid, that efforts to get the second testicle to drop included hormones and later surgery.
If the efforts had been successful ...  I believe *Thabit would have made a major contribution to the breed.
Tom warned me that unless I rode *Thabit every day, that he would "test me" ... I owned him for 5 1/2 years and loved the ride. Floyd Reid

Click to view attachment

what a really interesting story and what might have happened if he had made his contribution to the arab world, thanks for sharing it with us smile.gif gbfahne.gif
Delyth
General Gold brings back warm memories of Ascot. He was just so captivating back then. Happy days biggrin.gif
julieM
Autumn Copper Beech. and I still have the photo to prove it. smile.gif

Juliem
lyndi
I am far too young to remember back then Delyth biggrin.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif but is he the one that made the biggest impression on you?
elsbetha
I would love to see your picture of Autumn Copper Beech. My 25 year old breeding programme is based on a close relative to Autumn Copper Beech. Incidentlly Autumn Copper Beech is the horse on the top of page 13 in Peter Uptons book "The Classic Arab Horse" and her dam Autumn Velvet is on page 50.
Bandit
QUOTE (AnneDk @ Sep 23 2008, 09:16 AM)
I
Poetry in motion:

<a href='http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/2882600208_6c6fb562cb_o.jpg' target='_new'></a>

<a href='http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/2882600100_b5ac0ab22f.jpg' target='_new'></a>
There have been others who have captured my heart (always room for another biggrin.gif ) - but Vodolej is on the top shelf!!

Anne

Its nice to see a horses like this on a loose lead and obviously having a good time.
luke64
Hi all
In the flesh I would say Simeon Sanagor / Kiss and Tell / Mustafa/ Simeon Shai /

not having seen them in the flesh EL Shaklan, rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
and Ivanhoe Tsultan/ Classic Shadwan/ Versace/ Ali Jamaal / and these are not in any order (cept) EL Shaklan rolleyes.gif and look all of the Ansata brreding program and so many more throughout this world, Forgive me Ive not included the
Wonderful mares but there are so many rolleyes.gif

Kind Regards to all
LINDA wink.gif
hilltia
Personally, it is my own stallion El Rashid, who has shaped everything I do with my arabians to date. He epitomises what I want to breed.

Otherwise, admired from afar it is Padrons Psyche, when I got my first purebred 6 years ago, PP's photos had me mesmerised, he is just stunningly beautiful, but moreso - powerful and a lovely athlectic build (for one coming from an eventing background that's important haha!) and I now feel extremely lucky to have 2 young daughters of his, Rohara Faberge and Temptress SR, who I hope will take my breeding plans into the future smile.gif
Delyth
General Gold would have been the first Arabian back in the 70's who made me think that this is what I want.....an Arabian horse. Horses that make a huge impact on you, well latterly that would undoubtedly be Ashhal Al Rayyan. When I first saw him in the flesh he just held my attention, I couldn't stop looking at him.

The mare that changed everything for me personally though would be Bint El Sanaa. In some respects she 'changed' my eye and she made me set standards for myself and achieve dreams. God bless her xx
horseranch
For me, it's definately Gelgelah Al Badeia, I kept looking at her, she draw my attention with her beauty. The same it was with A Little Passion and Pianissima. So much charisma, beauty, femininity, I cannot describe. Offcourse there are so much more beautiful arabs, but these came up in my mind.

Of our own horses I would say AR Sivmayall & Aicha SVA made the biggest impression on me. Sivmayall (stallion) for his tenacity and looks and Aicha for her feminine beauty and ooh so adorable character, I love them all.... rolleyes.gif

julieM
Dear Elsbetha,

The photo was in the 1st or 2nd edition of the Illustrated guide to the arabian horse in Great Britain.
published by the Arab Horse Society. ( Iam not sure if I can put it on the forum.) I am still looking for the book and have only come up with the fourth edition for the moment, but I will keep searching.
Iam having the same problem with Peter Uptons book, I had it last month and once again I cant find that "safe place" in which I put it. Anyway, years ago Peter Upton gave me permission to reproduce the drawings from his book, which were enlarged and printed as very big posters which we gave as gifts to participants at a local show. I have a few of these posters framed and hung , so I think that I have probably been looking at Autumn Copper Beech for many years without knowing it smile.gif
I cant wait to find the book to compare with the posters(I still have some left) If there is still one of ACB I will roll it up and send it to you, If you would like it send me a message with your address.

Juliem
Regality
BFA REGALITY!!!!!!!!!! everything a dream horse should be.... smart, loving, sane, adventurous, smooth, willing, funny, playful....... RIP, my love
YSArabians
Whitout a doubt the one and only Padrons Psyche! I visited North Arabians in 2007 to see this famous stallion. -He took my breath away!
He was so powerful, showing himself like a superstar!
He is one of a kind! And he for sure needs to be seen live! smile.gif

Yvonne

Photo taken by me.
Alihadem
Ruminaja Ali !!

I saw him when I was very young ...in an indoor arena somewhere in Michigan...his debut as a stallion !! It was a big deal !!
Never did I ever dream I would own a son of his...but now many years later, I have two of them and a daughter !!

His son, Ali Hadem is the show stopper at our barn...you can't miss his beauty..he won't let you !!

Betsy in Michigan

Click to view attachment
Ali Hadem
Gold Coin Arabians
Although my focus and taste have changed some..............Padron, simply took my breath away when I first saw him!!!
LPA
I was another one who was swept away with "The Black Stallion" and then with "The Black Stallion Returns". Arabians came to life then in a painting I saw in Jill Vanstones' house as a 7 or 8 year old kid. Followed by reading Tanya Hawley's book, "Naadirah, The Arabian Dream". A trip to the Aussie Championships was a date with destiny as I was drawn to a black bay stallion named Dunwingeri Shamal. It was his sire, Al Karim Sirhalima, that I think has made the biggest impression on me. I never saw him in the flesh, but was able to find video footage of him which I treasure to this day.
Imperial Madheen, and Thaqib Al Nasser are also horses that have left an impression.
On a personal note from my own herd, our stallion Dunwingeri El Shaareef never ceases to stir the blood when I see him. I am so proud of the foals he has sired, over all types of mares. D. Maarisa, also holds a very special place in my heart too.
Lisa
Lavender Park
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Almearas
What a lovely topic!!

Probably one of the horses that has impressed me most and made a big impact on me is the stallion Afrikah ERA (Sanadik el Shaklan x Arabian Park Egyptian Echo). Not only does he have beautiful nostrils, and an increadible dish, lovely dryness and curly ears, but he always improves on the mare that he is bred with. Afrikah is a complete showman, he has amazing movement, is self confident and masculine yet increadibly pretty as well.

I took this photo of him in terrible lighting, he has no makeup, not even brushed and his normal farm halter on, and still he looks amazing.

Other stallions that I just adore are Anaza Bay Shahh, he is just a treasure to photograph!! Such a lovely sweet nature. And of course Asfour, I think he needs no introduction!!

Click to view attachment
straight_egyptian_lover
I also agree with you Menna, Afrikah ERA is stunning!!! He has certainally had a great impact on me aswell. Unfortunatly i didnt get to go to ERA this year as planned but i'm hoping maybe sometime next year- even just for a short visit.

As for the "Simeon Boys" Asfour is the icing on the cake for me. I think he i stunning and he always has been and always will be on my Top 5 list tongue.gif

I should do some Arabian stud tours instead of Schoolies laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif It would be much more fun than fearing for my life on a crowded beach!!!

Jess
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.