Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bahrain Photos
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - ‹bersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
Jenny Lees
gbfahne.gif As promised some of the photos I took on my trip back "home" to Bahrain.
As it was siesta time the colts paddock was just a series of mounds of Asil Bahraini horseflesh snoring gently in the sun. No one wanted to get up and 'show off' for us and it would have been rude to have insisted so we just visited them in resting mode. These photos are all from the colts paddock where around 80 colts aged from one year to four years live in a bachelor herd. A little bullying does go on but most live in harmony until they go for backing to the racetrack. The gentleman in the photo is my dear friend Jehangir who works for His Majesty and is the registrar in Bahrain. Jehangir knows everything about every Bahraini horse on the island so he is really interesting to be with.

As you can see the colts are so gentle that even my husband Tony is comfortable around them and he is not really horse orientated.

Jenny
Jenny Lees
gbfahne.gif There wasn't much more activity in the mares and fillies paddocks biggrin.gif no -one was willing to gallop around or show off.....so here are some of His Majestys very relaxed ladies.
Jenny
2mntn
Yaaaayyyy!! I guess horses are the same the world over, huh? Bunch a lazy, no account lookin' bums - cleverly disguising their true nature.

Say - that bay with her foot in the water looks familiar...is she related to any of your bunch? Looks like she's saying - "OK!! Who pooped in the water???" laugh.gif

Dandy bunch there - thanks Jenny!

Ray biggrin.gif
Jenny Lees
gbfahne.gif Hi Ray....no the bay is not one of mine but here are some of the offspring of two pure Bahraini mares that I returned to Bahrain. These are Kray (fillies) and Krayaan (colts) as both the mares I sent home were of the Al Kray family and the foals always take their dams family name. Yawn getting sleepy now jt's
12.45 am......Zzzzzzz. Jenny
Georgia
Really enjoyed seeing.. Thanks Jenny
whoa, those wild Arabians.. biggrin.gif beautiful.

Georgia
JoeFerriss
THanks so much Jenny for sharing those wonderful pics with us. I love the old mares. They have, as Homer Davenport described in 1906, those chorus girl eyes. The old mare laying in the shade of the other mare who frames her is a photo with an excellent atmosphere. Made my day.
-JoeFerriss
AlineS
Love the chestnut one, Jenny.
Thanks for sharing. :-)
sheikhrissan
Jenny

Thanks so much for posting these pictures. I always find it interesting how adaptable the Arab horses have been, coming from the sandy, white light of the desert, and landing in rainy, green Europe!

A friend of mine was given a stallion in Abu Dhabi by one of the Sheikhs, and he was shipped back with her to England. Accepted all the changes... closed in stables, rain, puddles, motorway bridges, mud, grass! ... pushchairs. The only thing he couldn't cope with: umbrellas.. Never got used to them!

Lovely photos. Beautiful horses. I would love to travel to see your own Bahrainis.

Best wishes
Julia
Jenny Lees
gbfahne.gif Thank you Georgia, Ray and Joe for your kind comments. Here is an Arabian horse family many will recognise....anyone with the Comet line from Poland especially. wink.gif As you will know a pure Bahraini Kuheilan Afas colt was imported into Poland in the early 1930's. This same Kuheilan Afas family is still preserved within His Majesty's collection in Bahrain and here are photos of a Kuheilan Afas stallion that was shown to me on my recent visit.

Jenny
lila1989
Dear Jenny,
Wow I envy you in the good sence, GOD are these horses gorgeous. Lovely pictures, who is the speckled mare with her friend lying behind her??
One day I hope to see them in the flesh.
GRTZ, Monique
Jenny Lees
gbfahne.gif Hi Julia,
You are welcome to visit any time. This summer I hope to have two pure Bahraini foals...a Hamdaany or Hamdanieh and a Kray or Krayaan (depending on the sex of the foals).

Jenny
Jenny Lees
gbfahne.gif Here is another Arabian horse family found in Bahrain. The mare is a Musanaah and her son was born the day I arrived in Bahrain 22nd January. It was the mares first foal and he is by a Hamdaany stallion....the colt will take his mothers name so he is a Musanaan.

Jenny
Jenny Lees
gbfahne.gif I know you are watching Jehangir wink.gif so can you name some names...the speckled mare and the nice colt lying at your feet????
Jenny
Jehangir
Hello all. It's a pleasure showing off our wonderful horses (mashallah!). Jenny is one of the fortunate few with access to our horses.

The mares are Mlolesh Shualeh (chestnut) at a youthful 20 and Rabda Intsaar (speckled) quite junior at 12. And the colt at my feet is is the three year old Rabdaan Wala'an (we share a birthday smile.gif )
sheikhrissan
Hi Jenny

Thank you, I'd like that. I will have to make the time smile.gif . Sheikh had a line to Comet and therefore to Kuheilan Afas... that's nice to know.

Best wishes
Julia
Gideon Reisel
Wonderful to see some of your "prides and joys", Jehangir !

Gideon
2mntn
QUOTE (Jehangir @ Feb 22 2009, 04:45 AM)
Hello all. It's a pleasure showing off our wonderful horses (mashallah!). Jenny is one of the fortunate few with access to our horses.

The mares are Mlolesh Shualeh (chestnut) at a youthful 20 and Rabda Intsaar (speckled) quite junior at 12. And the colt at my feet is is the three year old Rabdaan Wala'an (we share a birthday smile.gif )

Hello Jehangir,

What beauty lies at your feet!

Perhaps you would help me identifiy this bay filly, and see if I am learning anything at the same time. wink.gif To me, she looks to be Hamdanieh.
Click to view attachment

Ray
Shams
Hello Jenny sorry

Who is riding the horses in Bahrain?
are they all riden?

Thank You
Joksimovic
Jenny Lees
QUOTE (Shams @ Feb 22 2009, 09:05 PM)
Hello Jenny sorry

Who is riding the horses in Bahrain?
are they all riden?
Thank You
Joksimovic

gbfahne.gif Hello Joksimovic.....some of the horses are ridden in races and the Royal family also enjoy riding their horses. Horses from the Royal Stud of Bahrain are also ridden in Endurance. I have found here in the UK my Bahraini horses excell at Endurance as they are tough, sound, laid back with amazing pulse and recovery rates.

Jenny
Jenny Lees
QUOTE (JoeFerriss @ Feb 22 2009, 06:02 AM)
THanks so much Jenny for sharing those wonderful pics with us. I love the old mares. They have, as Homer Davenport described in 1906, those chorus girl eyes. The old mare laying in the shade of the other mare who frames her is a photo with an excellent atmosphere. Made my day.
-JoeFerriss

gbfahne.gif Hi Joe......I asked Jehangir about film/photos of the Mlollshaan in the US and he has promised to "dig them out" of his archives.
all the best,
Jenny
Georgia
Thank you Jenny for the information on Comet. I have this blood in my front yard. what a find and treasure..My pure Polish mare MS Carolina by MS Santana out of
a double (close up) Comet mare.. Comets Diamond.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Georgia
Tous crins
Great pictures Jenny

I love that picture of the mare under/behind the other one.

Christine
Jehangir
This young lady is Jellabieh Noorassalaf and she's four and a half years old. I'm talking about the one with her leg in the water trough. The grey sleeping one is Hamdanieh Felhanah and she's 14. And on the sleepy colts, the one I'm talking to and stroking is Rabdaan Wala'an as I'd mentioned before and the one I'm 'posing' with is one of our future studs (Inshallah!) Jellaby Sareeh.
Zahra Bint Krayaan
Brilliant pictures jenny biggrin.gif thanks so much for posting them.

Jehangir thankyou so much for telling us who is who biggrin.gif

They are all beautiful biggrin.gif and a great treat for us bahraini fans

Cheers nikki biggrin.gif gbfahne.gif
Popitka
Hi Jenny!

Love to see all these Bahraini jewells cool.gif ! Thank you very much for sharing biggrin.gif . Wish you all the best for the 2009 endurance season!

Kind regards
Ivana
JacqueB
Wow Jenny,
what a treat, sit in my sofa in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia and look at casual photos of the wonderful horses in Bahrain - courtesy of you, what a luxury.
And thank you Jehangir for giving us more information.
Great looking horses.
Jacque
Jenny Lees
QUOTE (Jehangir @ Feb 23 2009, 07:23 AM)
This young lady is Jellabieh Noorassalaf and she's four and a half years old. I'm talking about the one with her leg in the water trough. The grey sleeping one is Hamdanieh Felhanah and she's 14. And on the sleepy colts, the one I'm talking to and stroking is Rabdaan Wala'an as I'd mentioned before and the one I'm 'posing' with is one of our future studs (Inshallah!) Jellaby Sareeh.

gbfahne.gif There we are Ray the lovely bay filly is a Jellabieh and the future stud stallion is a Jellaby. This family, Jellaby/Jellabieh is a great favourite of the ruling Alkhalifa family and has been for many generations. I am attaching the write up on Jellabieh from the first volume of the Bahrain Stud book. I am also attaching photos of two Jellaby stallions. The bay is Jellaby Kumait and the grey Jellaby Nadeer. The Bahrain Royal family has carefully preserved so much of its living history over the centuries. Maybe if we ask Jehangir he will be able to show us some examples of the various families under his care. I love going home to Bahrain as I know I can step back in time and see the original Arabian war horse in all it's glory. I don't own a Jellabieh mare but two of my mares Shuwaimeh Bint Warda and Kray Mohammedia are both by a Jellaby stallion.

Jenny
2mntn
Thanks Jenny,

I would seem that my eye is not yet sharp enough to distinguish Jellabieh from Hamdanieh.. huh.gif

Do you think more photos might help? laugh.gif

Ray
Mr Prospector
Hi Jenny

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful photographs. His Highness is certainly keeping His types really well. What I really love about these horses is that they all look like "real" Arabians, with correct legs, pretty but not extreme heads, and toplines that just beg to be ridden. And having the lovely personalities that you can just walk in on a strange group and they are not afraid of you in any way.

I also wish you the best for 2009 endurance season.

cheers
Karen
Seglavi
Jenny,
How generous of you to share these wonderful photos and from your friend Jehangir for sharing his information and knowledge of the horses. I must say the Jellaby stallions are little short of magnificent. These horses look like the old wonderful photos, the real thing.
If you come to the Al Khamsa convention in Oregon in late August I hope you will bring your photos. Our past president is especially interested in your horses and those of Bahrain and all of us would love to hear about them and your adventures..
Pam Studebaker
2mntn
This has got be a dumb question, but seeing the horses in all that sand sends me running to check my psyllium supply. ohmy.gif Is there any trouble with sand colic? How do you deal with it? Maybe the horses raised in sand are more careful not to get it in their mouth?

Ray
Jenny Lees
gbfahne.gif Hi Ray...yes we did have problems with 'sand colic' when I lived out in Bahrain. The horses were all fed in high troughs away from the sand but the problems occurred when they dropped the odd sprigs of 'Jet' (alfalfa) onto the ground, nosed it around a bit, and then ate it. Being browsers horses are quite fond of finding little extra bits of food from the floor/ground. So we did lose a few with serious colic.

Jehangir has been very creative at His Majesty's stud and designed feeding stations complete with sun shades for the fillies and colts out in the desert paddocks . By feeding them high off the ground in deep troughs he hopes to prevent, as much as possible, the horses taking in sand when they eat. They look lovely have attached some for you to see.
Jenny
2mntn
Hi Jenny,

Those feeders are cool! I love this photo...mine, mine, mine, no mine, scoot over, lemme in...hey! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Thanks!
Ray biggrin.gif
p.s. psyllium works wonders, if you've never tried it...on the horses. wink.gif
Jenny Lees
QUOTE (Seglavi @ Feb 25 2009, 01:35 AM)
Jenny,
How generous of you to share these wonderful photos and from your friend Jehangir for sharing his information and knowledge of the horses.  I must say the Jellaby  stallions are little short of magnificent.  These horses look like the old wonderful photos, the real thing.
If you come to the Al Khamsa convention in Oregon in late August I hope you will bring your photos.  Our past president is especially interested in your horses and those of Bahrain and all of us would love to hear about them and your adventures..
Pam Studebaker

gbfahne.gif Hi Pam....Oregon end of August is pencilled into my calendar...just depends on how my poor old dad is ......he lives with me and keeps keeling over with mild heart attacks and strokes so everything revolves around him at the moment sad.gif I recently got to the Middle East and back without too much drama back home blink.gif blink.gif

As for showing you horses of Bahrain I think I can safely speak for Jehangir when I say it is our pleasure to share with you the horses we both love so much and their history. If there is anything Jehangir does not know about the horses of Bahrain I am yet to find out. I confess I do try some "trick questions" but he always comes up with the answers tongue.gif

I will most certainly come to Oregon armed with photos and film and when you have had enough Ray and I are going to sing a duet............ unsure.gif unsure.gif

Jenny
Seglavi
Bring it on!!!!!
Pam
Jenny Lees
QUOTE (2mntn @ Feb 25 2009, 09:36 PM)
Hi Jenny,

Those feeders are cool!  I love this photo...mine, mine, mine, no mine, scoot over, lemme in...hey!  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Thanks!
Ray  biggrin.gif
p.s. psyllium works wonders, if you've never tried it...on the horses.  wink.gif

gbfahne.gif Ray I am sure Jehangir would appreciate knowing about psyllium if he doesn't already know...I will direct him back to this thread and you might be so kind as to give us some info on the stuff... old bean.
Jenny
2mntn
QUOTE (Jenny Lees @ Feb 25 2009, 02:46 PM)
gbfahne.gif  Ray I am sure Jehangir would appreciate knowing about psyllium if he doesn't already know...I will direct him back to this thread and you might be so kind as to give us some info on the stuff... old bean.
Jenny

Well, it's tough to find anything that is not sales related. Psyllium fiber is not easily digested, therefore moving through the intestines and gathering up sand along the way. HERE is a company offering products by several manufacturers.

Ray
Jenny Lees
gbfahne.gif Thank you Ray.
Jenny
Georgia
Thank you Jehangir and Jenny.. what wonderful pictures. biggrin.gif

Georgia
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.